HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4-12-13 Dallas @ Nashville "Have some hope! Yes! No! Maybe!" Editiion

Old
04-12-2013, 11:38 PM
predfan98

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay View Post
So it wasn't until 2 minutes left in the game where Weber started throwing his weight around. Where was it the first 58 minutes. Pathetic. I was rooting for the Stars at one point because it was fun and that's what this should be right? Oh well, on to Detroit and Vancouver. These next two could be interesting. And why did Trotz not put Clune out there against Fiddler. I wanted to see Clune mop the floor with Fiddler. I really did. Guess we'll have to wait til next year.
wait til you see his twitter quote from one of the bloggers........something along the lines of "I don't have time to babysit every guy."

Weber checked out long ago this season.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:41 PM
Preddownsouth

Aww The Captain can't go around and babysit the lockerroom. Maybe Poile can look to getting some nannys to help out nest season.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:43 PM
predfan98

Maybe the C should belong to a leader that wants to lead..........not just say "oh, everyone take care of yourself"

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:49 PM
RomanEmpire

Here's the link to the interview. Doesn't sound as bad as I thought it would..taken out of context a little bit.

http://downloads.predators.nhl.com/p..._NSH_Weber.MP3

RomanEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:53 PM
glenngineer

I don't have a problem with what he said in the interview at all.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:04 AM
Soundgarden

Quote:
mind giving a recap?

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:16 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Listening to that interview, I don't blame him for what he said

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:47 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
mind giving a recap?
For that specific quote, he was basically being asked if he's worried about the team not playing with drive or pride, and as a captain, how does he make sure it's not happening. Weber's response was that the guys need to have pride and find it within themselves to come out and give the full effort, and that he doesn't have the ability to go around and babysit all the guys and make sure they're motivating themselves.

As others said, there's nothing wrong with his comments from what I heard. Just sounded like a frustrated captain, out of the playoffs, and probably part of the worst streak of hockey he's personally been a part of in a long time, if ever.

Iron Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:02 AM
Nashville Transplant

Josi had a tough game. Kline had a brutal game. Blum played up to his usual standard. Gill was Gill. Bartley didn't seem to do a lot wrong, and Weber... well, what's been said here previously can be QFT.

Meanwhile, I have to believe Poile and Co. are thinking about which backup goaltenders will be available in the off season... Mason just looked horrible on a few of the goals, and clueless on some shots that seemed to whiz by him without a reaction. Pencil a healthy Pekka in for between 65-70 games next year, so those 12-17 games can make a big difference in the standings... Garon, Khabibulin, maybe even Tim Thomas will all be looking for homes in the off season, and there's a handful more... Start crunching the numbers, David.

Good to see Beck look like an NHL player tonight. He's had more good shifts than bad since his recall, but tonight he had moments when he absolutely looked as if he could handle whatever the opposition threw his way. Butler had a sneaky good few minutes in the offensive zone, and will probably benefit from a full training camp and a couple of honest linemates. Clune got his first :52 seconds of PK time from Trotz. Hail Trotz. Kostitsyn is still looking for someone to pass to.

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:07 AM
cleangene

Which will go down as SK's last straw; the incredible breakaway that turned into a give the d time to catch me, then I'll pass it anyway or his boarding penalty to set his team on a man disadvantage the entire remainder of the game?

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:47 AM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
exactly. people are nitpicking words only to bash him...

That interview assured me he isnt a flake.

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 08:31 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Some of you are a trip.

Mason was the biggest difference in this game, he was horrifnable, he has got to go. I like the dude but he's too slow now. Even the one on one shots were not great shots and they picked him clean. 5 goals on 18 shots. 18 shots. Even if the defense did make 5 bad mistakes that led to scoring chances he should have bailed them out of atleast 3 and couldn't. Mason can only make saves on low percentage scoring chances, if it's a quality chance, it's in the back of the net.

I also have no problem with Weber's comments, he's correct. If you need a rah rah captain or coach to be able to do your job in the NHL you're in the wrong league.

I'm not going to bash the defense on a night were they only allowed 18 shots.

on a positive note, Beck still looks like big time winger.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 09:31 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Jeez one more loss and top 10 pick is pretty much a lock. (Over 50% chance of getting pick)

Hell a .500 = a top 5 pick so the Preds could play spoiler and get a high pick

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 04-13-2013 at 09:45 AM.
BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:19 AM
INDhockeyfan

I want the preds to beat the wings to keep them out of the playoffs. We did our part by losing to Dallas and getting them 2 pts within 8th. I'd love it if those last 2 games against Detroit and Columbus determine which one goes. This horrid season would be worth it if the jackets beat the wings out of a playoff spot.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:29 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
knocking out detroit would be nice but my gut tells me they will make it even if we beat them, and I'd almost rather see them get in at 8th rather than give them a chance, no matter how slim, to win the draft lottery and draft Seth Jones.

but I would be willing to drop 5 spots in the draft if winning our last game against Columbus denies them the playoffs... a nice parting gift before they head off to the East.... their tears would be delicious

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:04 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Sorry doc, my hate to DET is much higher than my annoyance to CBJ

Old
04-13-2013, 11:20 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Sorry doc, my hate to DET is much higher than my annoyance to CBJ
but think of the magnitude of the effect on each team.

detroit is likely to either miss the playoffs or get destroyed by chicago in round 1. miss the playoffs, they shrug it off, short season, blah blah blah and oh by the way pass the high draft pick. I would argue that making the playoffs and taking a beating from Chicago is actually a worse fate.

but for c-bus, who went all in to get gaborik, and who would be thrilled just to get in to the playoffs, and are so close they can almost taste it, knocking them out on the last day of the season, and it being us, who are clearly their most hated team, and that would be just special

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Here's my reality. Weber's quote was exactly what it was and should not and cannot be taken as a 140 character Twitter snippet to determine his intent. Weber is frustrated. If you are in that locker room and smiling and just happy to be there and collect an NHL paycheck, then you are not long for this league or this team. You have to want to be better. You have to want to have your team play better. You have to be able to be honest with yourself and not only look yourself in the mirror, but also look your teammates in the eyes and know that you are giving it your all every shift of every game from the opening drop to the final horn.

The Preds have come out flat for a couple of games now. They know, as we do, that they are icing an AHL caliber offensive group and to win will need to play a tight defensive system and have a solid effort in net from Rinne (Sorry Mase, I love that you came back, but last night was...) to win a low scoring game. Their opponents? Their opponents know coming in that the Preds have ONE NHL caliber forward line (Beck - Legwand - Hornqvist) and that if they can shut them down and limit their mistakes against the other lines then they stand an excellent chance of winning in regulation as long as they match the Preds work ethic.

It's a tough spot for players to be in and get motivated, but if you want to be in this league you have to find a way and it's something that at this point can't come from the coaches or the captains...it's gotta come from within yourself. If you want to stay in this league, you've gotta bring it on a nightly basis. Your not always going to have your best game, sometimes you'll just have an off night, but even on those nights there are minimum effort levels that must be met to provide value to your team and your teammates.

I can't discount what St. Louis and Dallas have done this week. They came in with a game plan, worked hard, and executed that game plan to take the two points.

Bottom line, this is audition time for our youngsters. Bang has impressed me in his limited role and earned more ice time last night. He should not be in the plans to start next season in Nashville, but could definitely see him continuing to fill out his frame and line himself up for a recall next season. Bartley has been strong in his role since being recalled and should be in the discussion for a full-time role next season on defense. Beck has been great since being recalled and is only quiet right now because he is our ONLY offensive threat and teams are keying in on him. Watson is adjusting, but hasn't yet shown much offensively due to his skating. He needs to be paired moving forward with someone who can carry the puck for his line so that he can find the hole and win the battles to generate chances.

Unfortunately, for those that are simply hanging on, this is their audition time too and realistically they should expect to be replaced this summer.

Overall, I don't have a problem with Weber's remark.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:04 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
but think of the magnitude of the effect on each team.

detroit is likely to either miss the playoffs or get destroyed by chicago in round 1. miss the playoffs, they shrug it off, short season, blah blah blah and oh by the way pass the high draft pick. I would argue that making the playoffs and taking a beating from Chicago is actually a worse fate.

but for c-bus, who went all in to get gaborik, and who would be thrilled just to get in to the playoffs, and are so close they can almost taste it, knocking them out on the last day of the season, and it being us, who are clearly their most hated team, and that would be just special
Ah but Detroit losing would be such a WONDERFUL ego deflation. They are going to the east where they will feed on lesser competition. Same with Columbus.

To me, watching Detroit lose would be so fun.

Old
04-13-2013, 01:39 PM
MrMariusz

The frustrating thing is that we currently have better goaltenders at the AHL level than Mason, and we are hardly considering them. Mason has been nothing but awful this season, show the man the door.

MrMariusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMariusz View Post
The frustrating thing is that we currently have better goaltenders at the AHL level than Mason, and we are hardly considering them. Mason has been nothing but awful this season, show the man the door.
Smith is hurt and likely done for the regular season. Hellberg has taken the reins and is running with it, but he has the Admirals in the final playoff spot right now. Why would they pull him up to get maybe one NHL start?

I hope they dip into the free agent pool this summer to bring in a backup for Rinne and leave Hellberg in Milwaukee for a full season as the starter next year. Then he can come up and backup Rinne as Rinne's workload hopefully dips into the 55-60 start range.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:51 PM
1stLineCottonCandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Smith is hurt and likely done for the regular season. Hellberg has taken the reins and is running with it, but he has the Admirals in the final playoff spot right now. Why would they pull him up to get maybe one NHL start?

I hope they dip into the free agent pool this summer to bring in a backup for Rinne and leave Hellberg in Milwaukee for a full season as the starter next year. Then he can come up and backup Rinne as Rinne's workload hopefully dips into the 55-60 start range.
And then Hellberg becomes really good and we sign him to a big deal and we have a Vancouver situation on our hands HURRAY we can only hope

1stLineCottonCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:10 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Mason has been terrible. I remember when he got put in the game in the 1st period against Phoenix and his side to side movement was probably the worst I've ever seen. He's about done as an NHL goalie I think.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Webersmashpuck

At least I am numb to losses now.

I said these would be tryouts for Mason and if he stood on his head and won a couple games then we have a decent backup. Mason goes to let in 5 goals and I think there were 3 posts that should have been goals on him. Its sad, because you could see the emotion when he let in a goal, even Mason knows his career is done.

Our defense looked bad as well, but they are just trying to create offense, so I can kind of forgive Josi and Klein. I also think Watson needs at least another year in the minors, possibly two, he is playing safe. The thing that really concerns me is I have never seen a team ice the puck so much.

I did see some bright notes. The Beck-Leggy-Horny line was buzzing all night and in another situation may have another goal or two. I also forget that Clune is a rookie and he still may have room to grow and he actually looks like a decent player.

Kostitsyn is an enigma to me now. Since Erat has been traded he is going into the corners and throwing hits and looks like he has emotion. I also can't really fault him for not having any production because Halischuk and Spaling are not offensive juggernauts. However the breakaway is the epitome of what is wrong with him even when he is producing.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
At least I am numb to losses now.

I said these would be tryouts for Mason and if he stood on his head and won a couple games then we have a decent backup. Mason goes to let in 5 goals and I think there were 3 posts that should have been goals on him. Its sad, because you could see the emotion when he let in a goal, even Mason knows his career is done.

Our defense looked bad as well, but they are just trying to create offense, so I can kind of forgive Josi and Klein. I also think Watson needs at least another year in the minors, possibly two, he is playing safe. The thing that really concerns me is I have never seen a team ice the puck so much.

I did see some bright notes. The Beck-Leggy-Horny line was buzzing all night and in another situation may have another goal or two. I also forget that Clune is a rookie and he still may have room to grow and he actually looks like a decent player.

Kostitsyn is an enigma to me now. Since Erat has been traded he is going into the corners and throwing hits and looks like he has emotion. I also can't really fault him for not having any production because Halischuk and Spaling are not offensive juggernauts. However the breakaway is the epitome of what is wrong with him even when he is producing.
He may be a rookie in the NHL, but he's a 25 year old (soon to be 26) young man... Players I consider rookies are 18 & 19 year old kids like Yakupov, Galchenyuk, etc ... kids straight out of the CHL/NCAA(after a year or two)

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote