HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Best Center in So Cal - Kopitar vs. Getzlaf

View Poll Results: Who's the big winner here?? You are, Mikey, that's who!
Anze Kopitar - Los Angeles Kings 100 46.08%
Ryan Getlaf - Mighty Ducks of Anaheim 117 53.92%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-12-2013, 08:14 AM
  #76
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,324
vCash: 500
Ryan Getzlaf

Le Magnifique 66 is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 12:46 PM
  #77
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,466
vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Well, i think he is. I may be wrong though. But i remain my stand. Koivu and Kopitar are same caliber players. Getzlaf is a notch above.

Getzlaf just has that drive only few elite players have. Granted he is not using it so much as other elite centers. But when he puts the drive on, he hits a level Kopitar can't.
You are wrong about Kopitar and Koivu. And you're just repeating what I've said: Getzlaf is more NATURALLY offensively talented than Kopitar. However, Getzlaf is very rarely in that mode. He was in it to get a contract. He's got insanely inflated numbers right now, he'll come back to earth.

And to whomever mentioned it, yes, Corsi is a measure that strongly correlates possession, and Kopitar is elite at it.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 01:07 PM
  #78
Sasso09
Registered User
 
Sasso09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 5,925
vCash: 500
Mike Richards AINEC

Voted Getzlaf because of his mean streak, it's very close though.

Sasso09 is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 01:09 PM
  #79
Sasso09
Registered User
 
Sasso09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 5,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
You are wrong about Kopitar and Koivu. And you're just repeating what I've said: Getzlaf is more NATURALLY offensively talented than Kopitar. However, Getzlaf is very rarely in that mode. He was in it to get a contract. He's got insanely inflated numbers right now, he'll come back to earth.

And to whomever mentioned it, yes, Corsi is a measure that strongly correlates possession, and Kopitar is elite at it.
I voted for Getzlaf but after you voiced your opinion I might change my mind

Sasso09 is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 02:07 PM
  #80
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 37,644
vCash: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Kopitar is a PPG. Shows how much you know.
Season isn't over, thus he hasn't acheived his first PPG season yet. Shows how much you know. That still puts him 4 seasons above PPG behind Getzlaf.

DuckJet is online now  
Old
04-12-2013, 02:26 PM
  #81
NEWFowler
hi
 
NEWFowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
However, Getzlaf is very rarely in that mode. He was in it to get a contract. He's got insanely inflated numbers right now, he'll come back to earth.
Very rarely? From 2007-2008 to 2010-2011 he was a PPG in every season, and has been a PPG player in the playoffs for his entire career (ignoring his rookie season). Also, since signing his contract he is also PPG.

Let me guess, Anze's puck possession skill still trumps that, right?

NEWFowler is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 03:00 PM
  #82
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 37,644
vCash: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
Very rarely? From 2007-2008 to 2010-2011 he was a PPG in every season, and has been a PPG player in the playoffs for his entire career (ignoring his rookie season). Also, since signing his contract he is also PPG.

Let me guess, Anze's puck possession skill still trumps that, right?
When it comes to Getzlaf, what have you done for me lately isn't a syndrome, it's a cancer. No matter how many times you cite his PPG seasons, the 11-12 season is the summation of his career performance. The production he put up in those years were aberrations. 57 points is normal for Getzlaf. Except when trying to make Team Canada (that was an excuse for why Getzlaf was doing so well when he was a PPG before the 2010 olympics too) or trying to get a new contract.

57 points is coming back to earth. try harder Juxtaposer. It's so cute. Ducks fans watch him more so we know when he's off his game and when he's on. Last year he wasn't on at all. This year he is, and the years prior to last season he was as well.


Last edited by DuckJet: 04-12-2013 at 03:06 PM.
DuckJet is online now  
Old
04-12-2013, 05:53 PM
  #83
Duffman955
Registered User
 
Duffman955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,820
vCash: 500
I still don't see why people think Kopitar is better.

His defense? Lets face it, both players are mostly playing in the offensive zone. In that department, Getzlaf is far superior.

Duffman955 is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 06:06 PM
  #84
CBJ Scruffy
Registered User
 
CBJ Scruffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Planet Express Co.
Country: Canada
Posts: 79
vCash: 500
Based on my own viewings of each (both live and on tv), I would say Getz. Not a knock on Kopitar, but I think Getzlaf is a more well rounded offensive player. As far as the "Kopitar is better defensively" argument goes, well I find it tough to get a read on that from Getzlaf's perspective because almost every shift you watch him play, him and Perry and whoever else is out there just dominate down low. Shift after shift, its uncanny. He never has to play defence because e just dominated the offensive side of the puck.

CBJ Scruffy is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 06:16 PM
  #85
Paul4587
Moderator
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 14,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by racquetball View Post
Other than one season, Getzlaf has barely posted numbers that are so much better than Kopitar's as not to also take into context the kind of teams they play for.
Here are some stats that show otherwise:

Getzlaf

2007-08 77GP 82P 1.07PPG
2008-09 82GP 91P 1.11PPG
2009-10 66GP 69P 1.05PPG
2010-11 67GP 76P 1.13PPG
2011-12 82GP 57P 0.70PPG
2012-13 38GP 43P 1.13PPG
Total 412GP 418P 1.01PPG

Kopitar

2007-08 82GP 77P 0.94PPG
2008-09 82GP 66P 0.81PPG
2009-10 82GP 81P 0.99PPG
2010-11 75GP 73P 0.97PPG
2011-12 82GP 76P 0.93PPG
2012-13 40GP 36P 0.90PPG
Total 443GP 409P 0.92PPG

Kopitar destroys Getzlaf in 2011-12 which was an awful year for Getzlaf but outside of that the only year he's close to Getzlaf in terms of production is the 2009-10 year.

Defensively Kopitar is better but it's closer than most make it out to be - Getzlaf is no slouch in his own end and has been relied on by both Carlyle and Boudreau to match up against other teams top lines. Physically both are above average but Getzlaf is pretty clearly ahead of Kopitar in this aspect. I would go as far as saying Getzlaf is the most physical 1C in the league right now.

Paul4587 is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 06:44 PM
  #86
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,466
vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
57 points is coming back to earth. try harder Juxtaposer. It's so cute. Ducks fans watch him more so we know when he's off his game and when he's on. Last year he wasn't on at all. This year he is, and the years prior to last season he was as well.
No, 57 points was the result of a low on-ice shooting percentage. Just as this season's pace is the result of a high one.

2011-2012: 34 points at evens in 82 games. On-ice shooting was 7.42%. Correct to 8% (league average) for randomness and you get 36.7 points.
2013 (pro-rated): 67 points at evens in 82 games. On-ice shooting is 12.74%. Corrected, you get 42.1 points. That's almost 25 whole points that Getzlaf would be on pace to get purely from random unsustainable percentages. More importantly, that's only 5 more points in 82 games that Getzlaf would be on pace to get through 82 games from this year to last year, or 2.3 points through his 38 games so far.

But yeah, it's a result of 'effort'. I specifically picked Getzlaf in two of my fantasy leagues because I knew that he'd rebound from a poor shooting season, and it's paid off in spades for me. Just as I avoided Giroux like the plague this year, and will avoid Getzlaf similarly next year.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 06:50 PM
  #87
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 25,195
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
That is flat out false. Kopitar is one of the best defensive centers in the league. Top-5 easily. Getzlaf is good defensively, but Kopitar is elite, on another level.

And Kopitar is a bull on the ice, there is absolutely no stopping him. He has the best puck-protection skills in the league. Unless you're talking about the 'hit' statistic, which is a very poor proxy for measuring physicality.

I would argue that Kopitar is better offensively too, but for the sake of me being too tired to argue it, we'll say that Getzlaf is more talented. However, Getzlaf is also lazy as ****, so he doesn't play much better than Kopitar offensively.
You can try to make that argument, but you wouldn't be very convincing.

The only argument I can see for Kopitar over Getzlaf is his two-way game. Kopitar is better defensively than Getzlaf is. The question is: is the difference defensively greater than the difference offensively, and is Kopitar at his best able to match Getzlaf at his? I'll leave that to the voters to decide. Personally, I'd take Getzlaf. Even in the past when you could argue he took nights off, he was still on a completely different level offensively than Kopitar. Taking that into consideration, as well as Getzlaf's big game ability, it's him I'd want on my team. This isn't a knock on Kopitar, because he is terrific in his own right, but Getzlaf has an "it" factor to his game that can single-handedly turn a game.

__________________
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places." -- Hemingway

Last edited by Sojourn: 04-12-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Sojourn is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 06:52 PM
  #88
TopT
Registered User
 
TopT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Georgetown, KY
Country: Cayman Islands
Posts: 728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
I still don't see why people think Kopitar is better.

His defense? Lets face it, both players are mostly playing in the offensive zone. In that department, Getzlaf is far superior.
Please get out of youre cave

TopT is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 06:56 PM
  #89
Duffman955
Registered User
 
Duffman955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopT View Post
Please get out of youre cave
Great argument. You sure proved me wrong.

Bravo

So far, I haven't heard a single argument that would suggest Kopitar is the better player.

Duffman955 is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 03:30 AM
  #90
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 37,644
vCash: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Great argument. You sure proved me wrong.

Bravo

So far, I haven't heard a single argument that would suggest Kopitar is the better player.
Let's not use anything logical like...statistics to analyze who is better offensively. Kopitar is better cause his fans say so. Anybody who regards statistical evidence is a Homer or has been living in a cave this thread is fun.

DuckJet is online now  
Old
04-13-2013, 03:54 AM
  #91
TheSlovenian
Registered User
 
TheSlovenian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ljubljana
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 878
vCash: 500
Kopitar, duh .

TheSlovenian is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 06:54 AM
  #92
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 18,611
vCash: 500
Getz by a hair.

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 09:04 AM
  #93
blueowl2
Canes & Bucs
 
blueowl2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,211
vCash: 500
good poll. Id take Anze though

blueowl2 is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 12:29 PM
  #94
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT
 
Muzzinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,986
vCash: 500
Wonder how much of a point difference having 100 point Perry on the wing instead of 50 point Brown brings?

Muzzinga is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 12:39 PM
  #95
CanucksSayEh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Wonder how much of a point difference having 100 point Perry on the wing instead of 50 point Brown brings?
Somewhere around 50 points I think

For reals though, not enough of a difference to dethrone Getz.

CanucksSayEh is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 01:26 PM
  #96
Gliff
Wild Bill
 
Gliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 9,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Great argument. You sure proved me wrong.

Bravo

So far, I haven't heard a single argument that would suggest Kopitar is the better player.
Kopitar is better in his own end. Some people value that more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Wonder how much of a point difference having 100 point Perry on the wing instead of 50 point Brown brings?
Perry was a 70 point winger when getzlaf had his 91 point season.

Gliff is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 01:27 PM
  #97
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Horvat2Virtanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,527
vCash: 855
Kopitar for sure IMO.

Horvat2Virtanen is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 02:40 PM
  #98
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,711
vCash: 500
Kopitar. Gets around better, superior two way game.

billybudd is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 02:40 PM
  #99
BigKing
Spot Picker
 
BigKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belmont Shore, CA
Posts: 3,406
vCash: 500
Both great players with both teams being pleased with who they have.

I'm not going to rehash what has already been said in here, but will add that the argument of Getzlaf having the "it" factor can not be used in an argument versus Kopitar, unless being the best forward in the 2012 Playoffs while winning Game 1 of the SCF doesn't constitute having "it".

Both are great playoff performers so you can't make the choice looking at that. While Getzlaf has better overall stats as far as PPG, Kopitar never fell off the face of earth like Getzlaf did last season and began his career as pretty much the only guy on a crappy team, nevermind the adjustment time it takes for a European moving to LA v. a North American.

I think Kopitar is progressing further while Getzlaf is not, but Getzlaf's "plateau" is comparable to most players Mt. Everest. Getz turns 28 in less than a month while Kopitar turns 26 in August...something to consider.

Moving forward, I think the answer is Kopitar because of the previously mentioned points and--barring freak injuries like Kopitar's broken leg and Getzlaf's eye injury--I like Kopitar's durability due to the more physical play that is being touted for Getzlaf.

Bottom line is both teams are happy...Calgary would trade every "-owski" they have for either guy.

BigKing is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 02:59 PM
  #100
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 25,195
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Both great players with both teams being pleased with who they have.

I'm not going to rehash what has already been said in here, but will add that the argument of Getzlaf having the "it" factor can not be used in an argument versus Kopitar, unless being the best forward in the 2012 Playoffs while winning Game 1 of the SCF doesn't constitute having "it".

Both are great playoff performers so you can't make the choice looking at that. While Getzlaf has better overall stats as far as PPG, Kopitar never fell off the face of earth like Getzlaf did last season and began his career as pretty much the only guy on a crappy team, nevermind the adjustment time it takes for a European moving to LA v. a North American.

I think Kopitar is progressing further while Getzlaf is not, but Getzlaf's "plateau" is comparable to most players Mt. Everest. Getz turns 28 in less than a month while Kopitar turns 26 in August...something to consider.

Moving forward, I think the answer is Kopitar because of the previously mentioned points and--barring freak injuries like Kopitar's broken leg and Getzlaf's eye injury--I like Kopitar's durability due to the more physical play that is being touted for Getzlaf.

Bottom line is both teams are happy...Calgary would trade every "-owski" they have for either guy.
The "it" factor for Getzlaf can be summed up by the 2009 Detroit series. When Kopitar can show that kind of domination, I'd consider taking him over Getzlaf.

Sojourn is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.