HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Visiting From Out of Town/Ticket Thread for the Washington Capitals

Old
03-21-2013, 04:52 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

vCash: 500
hey all,

my girlfriend is in New York at the moment and is going to the Rangers game on Sunday.
Is there anyway I can find out any information regarding somehow getting her a photo with a player or two?

Shes a big Laich and Backstrom and Green fan and if you can meet players before practice or something or in the hotel lobby?
I have no idea how this stuff works but it would be great if I could arrange for her to go somewhere to get this opportunity.

cheers.

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:12 PM
ScJeff

Hey guys I will be in town for a game. Hotel is near Dulles Airport. I will have a car. Is parking easy, should I take public transit any recommendations? Also have a day off. Any recommendations on things to do that are more "offbeat" then general tourist things to do

Also April 15th vs. Leafs looking for two tickets.

ScJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:15 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScJeff View Post
Hey guys I will be in town for a game. Hotel is near Dulles Airport. I will have a car. Is parking easy, should I take public transit any recommendations? Also have a day off. Any recommendations on things to do that are more "offbeat" then general tourist things to do

Also April 15th vs. Leafs looking for two tickets.
Some find parking easy; I find it a pain in the ass. However, since your hotel is near Dulles, you'll have to drive at least partway, unless you want to mess with the airport shuttle to West Falls Church metro (I don't know the operating hours for that thing, so...). I always take metro myself, but know a lot of people who drive, including some who post here. I'll defer to them on that front, as well as "offbeat" activities.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Foy

I live right by Dulles airport. You'll probably want to drive part way, at least to a metro station. East Falls Church is the easiest to get to from the Dulles Area, but parking can be limited if you are trying to get there around 8, 9, 10 in the morning, and you have to deal with I-66's weird HOV rules. West Falls Church isn't too hard to get to and there is loads of parking. I find parking incredibly easy to park downtown when going to games, but you will probably want to do metro if you will be there for the whole day.

As far as things to do:
All museums are free. I know that they seem hokey and touristy, but some of them are really cool. My favorites are Natural History and Air and Space.
Judging by your time frame, the Cherry blossoms might still be in bloom when you are down here, so I'd recommend walking over to the tidal basin and seeing those. My favorite thing to do in DC.
If the weather is nice, hit up the National Zoo. Lots of fun, free, but lots of walking.

If you have half a day and need something to do, there is a satellite branch of the Air and Space museum 5 minutes south of Dulles Airport (actually on airport property) that displays tons and tons of aircraft throughout history. And there is an actual Space Shuttle on display as well. The museum is free, but parking is $15, but free on Sunday.

Tickets can be found on Stubhub.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:21 PM
White Out 403*

vCash: 50
Hello caps fans! I am looking for a single ticket for the Jets game April 23rd at the Verizon Centre. I'm travelling in from YYC just to see my Jets and I'm looking for a great single ticket. Hook up a Canadian tourist won't ya??

edit: I may just go with Stubhub. I'm arriving at Dulles Airport around 1 in the morning... I don't want to take a 50 dollar cab ride to Alexendria (where I'm staying). Is there a way to take transit that won't be 2 hours according to google?

Thanks for any tidbits. Can't wait to see your beautiful city!

Last edited by White Out 403*: 03-26-2013 at 10:36 PM.
White Out 403* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:53 AM
usiel

vCash: 1430
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Hello caps fans! I am looking for a single ticket for the Jets game April 23rd at the Verizon Centre. I'm travelling in from YYC just to see my Jets and I'm looking for a great single ticket. Hook up a Canadian tourist won't ya??

edit: I may just go with Stubhub. I'm arriving at Dulles Airport around 1 in the morning... I don't want to take a 50 dollar cab ride to Alexendria (where I'm staying). Is there a way to take transit that won't be 2 hours according to google?

Thanks for any tidbits. Can't wait to see your beautiful city!
Well....coming into alexandria with no non offical pickup yeah you are likely **** win it comes to you getting some travel to Alexandria. Not sure what the bus situ is that late. Would budget the cab right unless you find otherwise. Going to National would be natural better plan if the flight cost difference would be friendly.

03-27-2013, 01:00 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Cab ride will be way more than $50. Probably upwards of $75.

You may want to look into Supershuttle or Supreme Airport Shuttle.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 07:57 AM

Tickets

Hi All,

I don't think I'm going to be able to make the game this evening due to a previously non-schedule work event.

If anyone is interested in purchasing my tickets, shoot me a PM.

Section: 106 (Net we shoot on twice)
Row: C (3rd Row)
Seats: 7 & 8

Thanks.

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:53 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
OT: Unique sights/food at the Verizon center

Howdy all. So it happens that I'm in DC for the weekend and I decided to check out the caps game tonight.

Are there any unique things in or around the arena or any unique foods I should look for at the game to make my out of town visitor caps experience the best it can be?

It doesn't need to be anything crazy, even something like "they make really good loaded nachos in the 400s" or something similar would be great.

So help me, this is likely the only time I'll be at the arena for many years and I don't want to miss out

04-13-2013, 02:56 PM
tycoonheart

The mighty fine guac dip at Rosa Mexicano.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:14 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Don't get food in the arena. It's pretty generic, mostly sucks, and is overpriced.

There are dozens of restaurants within walking distance of the arena. So it all depends what kind of food you want.

My personal favorite restaurant in the immediate vicinity of Verizon Center is Graffiato. It's a hot spot, so it'd be worth trying to make a reservation. Make sure to get the flat bread with pepperoni sauce.

Old
04-13-2013, 03:19 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

I'll echo what NBTW says about not eating in the VC. The cool thing about the Verizon Center is it's located in the China Town/Penn Quarter neighborhood so there are literally dozens and dozens of bars and restaurants within blocks. I highly recommend walking into one of the small family-owned Chinese restaurants -- some of the best Chinese I've ever had.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:55 PM
allyourfault

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
I'll echo what NBTW says about not eating in the VC. The cool thing about the Verizon Center is it's located in the China Town/Penn Quarter neighborhood so there are literally dozens and dozens of bars and restaurants within blocks. I highly recommend walking into one of the small family-owned Chinese restaurants -- some of the best Chinese I've ever had.

have to agree completely with this; Don't eat at the Verizon Center unless your looking for bar food. Like Brovechkin said, your right in the middle of Chinatown, The Wok n Roll has REALLLY good sushi, deff worth checking out. If chinese isnt what your looking for The Greene Turtle outside the verizon center is always decent, stellar crab cakes.

allyourfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 04:00 PM
bonzaibondra12

Matchbox Pizza is right around the corner and really good. However, the line is always ridiculous.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 04:07 PM
allyourfault

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
Matchbox Pizza is right around the corner and really good. However, the line is always ridiculous.

My girlfriend and I were so close to trying matchbox on thursday night, but yes the wait killed it.

allyourfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 04:10 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyourfault View Post
My girlfriend and I were so close to trying matchbox on thursday night, but yes the wait killed it.
We have one here in Rockville. If you ever make it up this way, it is certainly worth it.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 04:12 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
The pork nachos I got on the club level were friggin fabulous.

There is also a Chinese deli on the opposite side of the Portrait Gallery from Verizon that has good sandwiches, or did.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Lshap

Hey all - I need some objective, sane advice. My kids are visiting your city as part of a school trip, arriving Friday. They're scheduled to do the usual tourist stuff - White House, various museums and memorials.

Given the context of events in Boston, what's the general buzz about town regarding safety and security? I know the White House has been on high security, but how long is this likely to last?

Answers and opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:32 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Are you concerned for your kids' safety, or concerned that the security will be overbearing?

Entering museums and such, guests have to go through metal detectors at most places as standard procedure.

I haven't heard anything specific, but it's typical after attacks for security to be tightened at tourist attractions. That usually entails an increased police presence, and at times crowd control measures (fences and the like).

Considering all the marches, festivals, and other events with sharp political bents that have gone off without any sort of incident, I wouldn't worry too much about the safety of your kids any more than you would normally. DC is pretty vigilant about terrorist attacks and the like.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:30 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Are you concerned for your kids' safety, or concerned that the security will be overbearing?

Entering museums and such, guests have to go through metal detectors at most places as standard procedure.

I haven't heard anything specific, but it's typical after attacks for security to be tightened at tourist attractions. That usually entails an increased police presence, and at times crowd control measures (fences and the like).

Considering all the marches, festivals, and other events with sharp political bents that have gone off without any sort of incident, I wouldn't worry too much about the safety of your kids any more than you would normally. DC is pretty vigilant about terrorist attacks and the like.
Very much appreciate your response.

Yeah, my concern is a bit of both of the things you mentioned, a polite tap-dance between worry and objectivity. Rationally, I realize the city isn't shutting down, but it's nice to be reassured nonetheless. Also glad to hear they'll get to enjoy the full experience of the town without - I hope - any cancelations.

Thanks again!

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:42 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

DC is very secure. With the recent attacks in Boston, they'll up security at the museums, monuments, etc with tactics that you mostly won't notice. I wouldn't worry too much.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:57 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Seemed like they were doing some random car searches near VZC last night, but I would imagine that if the trip is an organized tour type thing there shouldn't be too much extra hassle for them. Unless traffic becomes an issue, I suppose.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:18 AM
White Out 403*

Hey caps fans, will be in town for the big game Tuesday (when I booked it a while back had no idea how important it'd be!) I'm looking for a couple places to eat around the arena and White House, and a place to eat in Alexandria around the old town. I dont want to spend a lot, it doesn't have to be fancy. Just delicious and reasonably priced... and preferably something unique to the DC area. Thx

White Out 403* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:39 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Hey caps fans, will be in town for the big game Tuesday (when I booked it a while back had no idea how important it'd be!) I'm looking for a couple places to eat around the arena and White House, and a place to eat in Alexandria around the old town. I dont want to spend a lot, it doesn't have to be fancy. Just delicious and reasonably priced... and preferably something unique to the DC area. Thx
This page has a few recommendations for around Verizon Center (which is really just full of restaurants, more or less none of which are reasonably priced). The aforementioned Wok 'n' Roll is pretty fairly priced. I'm not the most familiar with Old Town Alexandria.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 12:21 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
I recommend checking out page 1 of this thread, specially posts 11-15. It's pretty much a compilation of everyone's recommendations in DC and Northern VA. Hope that helps.