HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Best Center in So Cal - Kopitar vs. Getzlaf

View Poll Results: Who's the big winner here?? You are, Mikey, that's who!
Anze Kopitar - Los Angeles Kings 100 46.08%
Ryan Getlaf - Mighty Ducks of Anaheim 117 53.92%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2013, 03:04 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
The "it" factor for Getzlaf can be summed up by the 2009 Detroit series. When Kopitar can show that kind of domination, I'd consider taking him over Getzlaf.
That's nice and all, but using "it" as an argument is foolish especially when your "it" moment is from 4 years ago.

Plenty of other reasons to take Getzlaf: "it" is not one of them.

Old
04-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
That's nice and all, but using "it" as an argument is foolish especially when your "it" moment is from 4 years ago.

Plenty of other reasons to take Getzlaf: "it" is not one of them.
Then we disagree. I think a big game player, who has shown that kind of domination, is a very good reason to take one player over another. If you had read my post, it certainly wasn't only about that, either.

04-13-2013, 04:28 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Then we disagree. I think a big game player, who has shown that kind of domination, is a very good reason to take one player over another. If you had read my post, it certainly wasn't only about that, either.
My point is Kopitar was just the best forward on the team that won the Cup. PPG in the playoffs, +16, played in all situations and scored the OT GWG in Game 1 of the SCF as opposed to almost winning the WCQF in 2009.

Kopitar has "it". Getzlaf showed he has "it" and most likely still does. Therefore, it is not a valid argument in favor of Getzlaf. It is a wash.

Old
04-13-2013, 04:30 PM
lakai17

Getzlaf.

Old
04-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Call me crazy, but I think Thornton is better than either...

Old
04-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
My point is Kopitar was just the best forward on the team that won the Cup. PPG in the playoffs, +16, played in all situations and scored the OT GWG in Game 1 of the SCF as opposed to almost winning the WCQF in 2009.

Kopitar has "it". Getzlaf showed he has "it" and most likely still does. Therefore, it is not a valid argument in favor of Getzlaf. It is a wash.
Again, I disagree. Getzlaf's entire series against Detroit is more impressive than anything I've seen from Kopitar. Ever. You're pointing to one game. I'm pointing to a 7 game series where I saw Getzlaf give Detroit more trouble than probably any individual player I've seen.

In other words, if I'm choosing one of these two players for a playoff series, and what I want is a player who can dominate the opposition, it's Getzlaf. Hands down, no question. I've seen a lot of Kopitar, and I saw his entire playoff run last season. Getzlaf has still shown a higher level of play, that I'd be more willing to count on when everything is on the line. Whether it's an entire playoff run, a single 7 game series, or just game 7 of the Cup Finals, I pick Getzlaf.

This is a Ryan Getzlaf who put up a PPG in the Olympics, on a Gold Medal winning team, and he did it while playing on a high ankle sprain. Who lead arguably the best Cup-winning team since the 04-05 lockout in points. And who, on a team with negligible offensive depth, almost single-handedly carried Anaheim past the defending Cup Champion Detroit Red Wings with 10 points in 7 games(and had 18 in 13 through those two playoff rounds).

Yeah, I'll take all of this, plus having a clear offensive advantage, and a more significant physical presence. I don't think the difference between Kopitar and Getzlaf defensively makes up for the rest of this. KingKopitar11 says this is about "what have you done for me lately?" but, in my opinion, that is the only reason this poll is as close as it is right now. If people looked at their entire careers to date, instead of leaning so heavily on the past season or two, Getzlaf is the obvious choice. Not the easy choice, but the obvious one.

Old
04-13-2013, 05:38 PM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Call me crazy, but I think Thornton is better than either...
So what? No really. People don't go into Player X vs Player Y threads to say uhhhh player Z is better. That isn't what the OP was asking.

Old
04-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Evincar
Spirit of '94

Quote:

TAnd who, on a team with negligible offensive depth, almost single-handedly carried Anaheim past the defending Cup Champion Detroit Red Wings with 10 points in 7 games(and had 18 in 13 through those two playoff rounds).
Actually Hiller was the main reason Anaheim was even in the series. They were badly outplayed.

Old
04-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Sojourn, I'm not going to argue with you because it IS your opinion, but if you look at it from an objective, outsider view, it's really hard to look at your argument and see any real substance. Maybe that is your point in saying it is your opinon. I don't know.

04-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Sojourn, I'm not going to argue with you because it IS your opinion, but if you look at it from an objective, outsider view, it's really hard to look at your argument and see any real substance. Maybe that is your point in saying it is your opinon. I don't know.
An objective, outsider view? So, not yours then, unless you're going to try to convince people that a Kings fan qualifies as an objective outsider, in a poll asking who the better player is: A Kings center or a Ducks center.

Is that what you're trying to do?

Old
04-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Actually Hiller was the main reason Anaheim was even in the series. They were badly outplayed.
That must have been why, at the time, Getzlaf was being called the 3rd best forward in the world after that playoffs were over(I'm not going to argue whether it was right or wrong for the media to say so, but it was said). Or why it was Getzlaf who many Detroit fans were saying was Anaheim's best player in that series.

Old
04-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Cristiano Ronaldo
Ballon d'Or 2013

I'm a Stars fan, so I see quite a bit of both of them, and it's Getzlaf.

As far as offensive talent, Getzlaf blows Kopitar away; he dominates almost every shift and it doesn't even look like he's trying.

Kopitar is said to have the better two-way game, but Getzlaf's no slouch in his own end.

So, it's Getzlaf; he's just a much more dominant player, while Kopitar impacts the game more subtly.

Old
04-13-2013, 06:31 PM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

vCash: 69
Yeah I really don't understand why he's not known for his defensive play. Of all our forwards I might only trust Koivu more as a forechecker. He can strip guys of the puck, take away their lanes and angles pretty easily then head back for a rush in the same minute. He's not as dynamic as Kopitar defensively but it's closer than many suggest.

Old
04-13-2013, 06:40 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Deandre Jordan AINEC

Old
04-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Evincar
Spirit of '94

Quote:
That must have been why, at the time, Getzlaf was being called the 3rd best forward in the world after that playoffs were over(I'm not going to argue whether it was right or wrong for the media to say so, but it was said). Or why it was Getzlaf who many Detroit fans were saying was Anaheim's best player in that series.
You mean 4th best after Sid, Ovie and Geno? The media always likes to hype up players like that. No different than Giroux last playoffs where he dominated the consensus Cup favorites and people where praising him.

If you want to say Getzlaf was the best player during the Detroit series that's fine. Dont say he almost single-handedly won that series for them.

Old
04-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

To say that Getzlaf has an 'it' factor because he dominated a whopping 7 game stretch is hilarious.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
So what? No really. People don't go into Player X vs Player Y threads to say uhhhh player Z is better. That isn't what the OP was asking.
To be fair, the poll is " best center in so-cal?" which includes Jumbo, and he certainly has an argument.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:21 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
To be fair, the poll is " best center in so-cal?" which includes Jumbo, and he certainly has an argument.
Guess I didn't realize San Jose was located in Southern California.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
Might want to double check where San Jose is.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Might want to double check where San Jose is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
Guess I didn't realize San Jose was located in Southern California.
Joke is on me I suppose, I just google mapped it, thought it was more southern than central, my bad. Either way I'd take them both over Jumbo anyway.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:20 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
An objective, outsider view? So, not yours then, unless you're going to try to convince people that a Kings fan qualifies as an objective outsider, in a poll asking who the better player is: A Kings center or a Ducks center.

Is that what you're trying to do?
No, I'm trying to show you that your argument is all emotion.

Are you serious? How old are you? (and that is a serious question, not meant to belittle) Can you not separate your team from what's right by now?

Old
04-14-2013, 01:45 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
No, I'm trying to show you that your argument is all emotion.

Are you serious? How old are you? (and that is a serious question, not meant to belittle) Can you not separate your team from what's right by now?
Hey so, as an objective outsider, (well, not quite objective, as Kopitar is one of my favorite players, and the Kings are one of my favorite teams, and I hate Getzlaf and the Ducks) I say Getzlaf is better than Kopitar.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:15 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
Hey so, as an objective outsider, (well, not quite objective, as Kopitar is one of my favorite players, and the Kings are one of my favorite teams, and I hate Getzlaf and the Ducks) I say Getzlaf is better than Kopitar.
That is fine. I wasn't arguing who was better, I was trying to tell Sojourn that I've seen much better from he or she.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:14 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
I think the difference is that Kings fans readily recognize Kopitar's shortcomings whereas Ducks fans generally dont have a very nuanced opinion about Getzlaf. 'Tis hockey in Socal though, from my experience of it

Old
04-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Novak Djokovic
HOSSA! HOSSA! HOSSA!

Getzlaf in May of 2009 >>> Anything Kopitar's ever done

Anyways, I'll take the guy who's been PPG+ for four times in his career. Also, this whole Kopitar is amazing defensively....yeah, he is but Getzlaf isn't shabby either. He plays the PK too.

Closed Thread