HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Best Center in So Cal - Kopitar vs. Getzlaf

View Poll Results: Who's the big winner here?? You are, Mikey, that's who!
Anze Kopitar - Los Angeles Kings 100 46.08%
Ryan Getlaf - Mighty Ducks of Anaheim 117 53.92%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-13-2013, 03:04 PM
  #101
BigKing
Spot Picker
 
BigKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belmont Shore, CA
Posts: 3,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
The "it" factor for Getzlaf can be summed up by the 2009 Detroit series. When Kopitar can show that kind of domination, I'd consider taking him over Getzlaf.
That's nice and all, but using "it" as an argument is foolish especially when your "it" moment is from 4 years ago.

Plenty of other reasons to take Getzlaf: "it" is not one of them.

BigKing is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 03:07 PM
  #102
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 23,441
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
That's nice and all, but using "it" as an argument is foolish especially when your "it" moment is from 4 years ago.

Plenty of other reasons to take Getzlaf: "it" is not one of them.
Then we disagree. I think a big game player, who has shown that kind of domination, is a very good reason to take one player over another. If you had read my post, it certainly wasn't only about that, either.

__________________
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire." -- Charles Bukowski
Sojourn is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 04:28 PM
  #103
BigKing
Spot Picker
 
BigKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belmont Shore, CA
Posts: 3,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Then we disagree. I think a big game player, who has shown that kind of domination, is a very good reason to take one player over another. If you had read my post, it certainly wasn't only about that, either.
My point is Kopitar was just the best forward on the team that won the Cup. PPG in the playoffs, +16, played in all situations and scored the OT GWG in Game 1 of the SCF as opposed to almost winning the WCQF in 2009.

Kopitar has "it". Getzlaf showed he has "it" and most likely still does. Therefore, it is not a valid argument in favor of Getzlaf. It is a wash.

BigKing is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 04:30 PM
  #104
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,423
vCash: 50
Getzlaf.

lakai17 is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 04:42 PM
  #105
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,774
vCash: 5100
Call me crazy, but I think Thornton is better than either...

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
04-13-2013, 05:08 PM
  #106
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 23,441
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
My point is Kopitar was just the best forward on the team that won the Cup. PPG in the playoffs, +16, played in all situations and scored the OT GWG in Game 1 of the SCF as opposed to almost winning the WCQF in 2009.

Kopitar has "it". Getzlaf showed he has "it" and most likely still does. Therefore, it is not a valid argument in favor of Getzlaf. It is a wash.
Again, I disagree. Getzlaf's entire series against Detroit is more impressive than anything I've seen from Kopitar. Ever. You're pointing to one game. I'm pointing to a 7 game series where I saw Getzlaf give Detroit more trouble than probably any individual player I've seen.

In other words, if I'm choosing one of these two players for a playoff series, and what I want is a player who can dominate the opposition, it's Getzlaf. Hands down, no question. I've seen a lot of Kopitar, and I saw his entire playoff run last season. Getzlaf has still shown a higher level of play, that I'd be more willing to count on when everything is on the line. Whether it's an entire playoff run, a single 7 game series, or just game 7 of the Cup Finals, I pick Getzlaf.

This is a Ryan Getzlaf who put up a PPG in the Olympics, on a Gold Medal winning team, and he did it while playing on a high ankle sprain. Who lead arguably the best Cup-winning team since the 04-05 lockout in points. And who, on a team with negligible offensive depth, almost single-handedly carried Anaheim past the defending Cup Champion Detroit Red Wings with 10 points in 7 games(and had 18 in 13 through those two playoff rounds).

Yeah, I'll take all of this, plus having a clear offensive advantage, and a more significant physical presence. I don't think the difference between Kopitar and Getzlaf defensively makes up for the rest of this. KingKopitar11 says this is about "what have you done for me lately?" but, in my opinion, that is the only reason this poll is as close as it is right now. If people looked at their entire careers to date, instead of leaning so heavily on the past season or two, Getzlaf is the obvious choice. Not the easy choice, but the obvious one.

Sojourn is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 05:38 PM
  #107
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 32,969
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Call me crazy, but I think Thornton is better than either...
So what? No really. People don't go into Player X vs Player Y threads to say uhhhh player Z is better. That isn't what the OP was asking.

DuckJet is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 05:58 PM
  #108
Evincar
Spirit of '94
 
Evincar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post

TAnd who, on a team with negligible offensive depth, almost single-handedly carried Anaheim past the defending Cup Champion Detroit Red Wings with 10 points in 7 games(and had 18 in 13 through those two playoff rounds).
Actually Hiller was the main reason Anaheim was even in the series. They were badly outplayed.

Evincar is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 06:04 PM
  #109
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 34,148
vCash: 500
Sojourn, I'm not going to argue with you because it IS your opinion, but if you look at it from an objective, outsider view, it's really hard to look at your argument and see any real substance. Maybe that is your point in saying it is your opinon. I don't know.

__________________
I love you all.
Legionnaire is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 06:12 PM
  #110
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 23,441
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Sojourn, I'm not going to argue with you because it IS your opinion, but if you look at it from an objective, outsider view, it's really hard to look at your argument and see any real substance. Maybe that is your point in saying it is your opinon. I don't know.
An objective, outsider view? So, not yours then, unless you're going to try to convince people that a Kings fan qualifies as an objective outsider, in a poll asking who the better player is: A Kings center or a Ducks center.

Is that what you're trying to do?

Sojourn is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 06:17 PM
  #111
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 23,441
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Actually Hiller was the main reason Anaheim was even in the series. They were badly outplayed.
That must have been why, at the time, Getzlaf was being called the 3rd best forward in the world after that playoffs were over(I'm not going to argue whether it was right or wrong for the media to say so, but it was said). Or why it was Getzlaf who many Detroit fans were saying was Anaheim's best player in that series.

Sojourn is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 06:26 PM
  #112
Cristiano Ronaldo
Ballon d'Or 2013
 
Cristiano Ronaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: Mexico
Posts: 3,718
vCash: 500
I'm a Stars fan, so I see quite a bit of both of them, and it's Getzlaf.

As far as offensive talent, Getzlaf blows Kopitar away; he dominates almost every shift and it doesn't even look like he's trying.

Kopitar is said to have the better two-way game, but Getzlaf's no slouch in his own end.

So, it's Getzlaf; he's just a much more dominant player, while Kopitar impacts the game more subtly.

Cristiano Ronaldo is online now  
Old
04-13-2013, 06:31 PM
  #113
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 32,969
vCash: 69
Yeah I really don't understand why he's not known for his defensive play. Of all our forwards I might only trust Koivu more as a forechecker. He can strip guys of the puck, take away their lanes and angles pretty easily then head back for a rush in the same minute. He's not as dynamic as Kopitar defensively but it's closer than many suggest.

DuckJet is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 06:40 PM
  #114
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu
 
duckaroosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Posts: 23,187
vCash: 500
Deandre Jordan AINEC

duckaroosky is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 06:54 PM
  #115
Evincar
Spirit of '94
 
Evincar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
That must have been why, at the time, Getzlaf was being called the 3rd best forward in the world after that playoffs were over(I'm not going to argue whether it was right or wrong for the media to say so, but it was said). Or why it was Getzlaf who many Detroit fans were saying was Anaheim's best player in that series.
You mean 4th best after Sid, Ovie and Geno? The media always likes to hype up players like that. No different than Giroux last playoffs where he dominated the consensus Cup favorites and people where praising him.

If you want to say Getzlaf was the best player during the Detroit series that's fine. Dont say he almost single-handedly won that series for them.

Evincar is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 08:44 PM
  #116
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT
 
Muzzinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,749
vCash: 500
To say that Getzlaf has an 'it' factor because he dominated a whopping 7 game stretch is hilarious.

Muzzinga is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 09:16 PM
  #117
Sasso09
Registered User
 
Sasso09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 5,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
So what? No really. People don't go into Player X vs Player Y threads to say uhhhh player Z is better. That isn't what the OP was asking.
To be fair, the poll is " best center in so-cal?" which includes Jumbo, and he certainly has an argument.

Sasso09 is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 09:21 PM
  #118
AKL
#AnyoneButThem
 
AKL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pominville
Country: Nauru
Posts: 5,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
To be fair, the poll is " best center in so-cal?" which includes Jumbo, and he certainly has an argument.
Guess I didn't realize San Jose was located in Southern California.

AKL is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 09:31 PM
  #119
Paul4587
Registered User
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 13,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
To be fair, the poll is " best center in so-cal?" which includes Jumbo, and he certainly has an argument.
Might want to double check where San Jose is.

Paul4587 is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 10:05 PM
  #120
Sasso09
Registered User
 
Sasso09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 5,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Might want to double check where San Jose is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
Guess I didn't realize San Jose was located in Southern California.
Joke is on me I suppose, I just google mapped it, thought it was more southern than central, my bad. Either way I'd take them both over Jumbo anyway.

Sasso09 is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 01:20 AM
  #121
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 34,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
An objective, outsider view? So, not yours then, unless you're going to try to convince people that a Kings fan qualifies as an objective outsider, in a poll asking who the better player is: A Kings center or a Ducks center.

Is that what you're trying to do?
No, I'm trying to show you that your argument is all emotion.

Are you serious? How old are you? (and that is a serious question, not meant to belittle) Can you not separate your team from what's right by now?

Legionnaire is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 01:45 AM
  #122
AKL
#AnyoneButThem
 
AKL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pominville
Country: Nauru
Posts: 5,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
No, I'm trying to show you that your argument is all emotion.

Are you serious? How old are you? (and that is a serious question, not meant to belittle) Can you not separate your team from what's right by now?
Hey so, as an objective outsider, (well, not quite objective, as Kopitar is one of my favorite players, and the Kings are one of my favorite teams, and I hate Getzlaf and the Ducks) I say Getzlaf is better than Kopitar.

AKL is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 02:15 AM
  #123
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 34,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
Hey so, as an objective outsider, (well, not quite objective, as Kopitar is one of my favorite players, and the Kings are one of my favorite teams, and I hate Getzlaf and the Ducks) I say Getzlaf is better than Kopitar.
That is fine. I wasn't arguing who was better, I was trying to tell Sojourn that I've seen much better from he or she.

Legionnaire is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 01:14 PM
  #124
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,544
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
I think the difference is that Kings fans readily recognize Kopitar's shortcomings whereas Ducks fans generally dont have a very nuanced opinion about Getzlaf. 'Tis hockey in Socal though, from my experience of it

LAX attack* is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 02:03 PM
  #125
Novak Djokovic
HOSSA! HOSSA! HOSSA!
 
Novak Djokovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,848
vCash: 500
Getzlaf in May of 2009 >>> Anything Kopitar's ever done

Anyways, I'll take the guy who's been PPG+ for four times in his career. Also, this whole Kopitar is amazing defensively....yeah, he is but Getzlaf isn't shabby either. He plays the PK too.

Novak Djokovic is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.