HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Powerline Adapters (Ethernet Connection)

Old
04-13-2013, 02:45 PM
Ether Prodigy
Fearless Leader

vCash: 500
Powerline Adapters (Ethernet Connection)

Basically my computer is in an upstairs office, my router is in the basement beside the electrical panel.

The signal I get isn't that great, not really reliable.

I've looked into solutions that don't involve running cables up through the walls to get a direct connection to the office (it would take time, it wouldn't be easy).

I came across powerline adapters after boosting the signal did not improve signal reliability. The booster helped devices around the house - just not devices in this office.

Now powerline adapters - anyone have experience with them? I've read some negative reviews about A/C being a problem (negative where the router is, positive where the computer/device needing a connection was)... I don't know if these devices are always compatible with routers, are they?

IDK I'm on the fence but leaning towards getting one - but reviews are hard to find so I'm asking people here before I go out buy one and find out I have to return it.

Ether Prodigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post
Basically my computer is in an upstairs office, my router is in the basement beside the electrical panel.

The signal I get isn't that great, not really reliable.

I've looked into solutions that don't involve running cables up through the walls to get a direct connection to the office (it would take time, it wouldn't be easy).

I came across powerline adapters after boosting the signal did not improve signal reliability. The booster helped devices around the house - just not devices in this office.

Now powerline adapters - anyone have experience with them? I've read some negative reviews about A/C being a problem (negative where the router is, positive where the computer/device needing a connection was)... I don't know if these devices are always compatible with routers, are they?

IDK I'm on the fence but leaning towards getting one - but reviews are hard to find so I'm asking people here before I go out buy one and find out I have to return it.
I've never had experience, but they sound like they could be a reasonable solution for someone with a situation like yours. I know this doesn't help, but at the very least, if you do try it, I would be interested to hear the result - I've been curious about powerline for some time.

Kestrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Ether Prodigy
Fearless Leader

Yeah - I'll probably buy some of these powerline adapters on Monday (maybe even tomorrow if the stores nearby are open) because it's pretty much my last resort aside from a time-consuming extension of ethernet to the office room.

I guess I'll hope for the best - most reviews on much older models on places like Amazon are positive and I have to imagine that if the A/C thing (or a certain router brand) was a potential problem there'd be a lot more frustrated customers.

Old
04-13-2013, 05:16 PM
kingsholygrail
that dog won't hunt

I have some friends that swear by the A/C wireless boosters.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Ether Prodigy
Fearless Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
I have some friends that swear by the A/C wireless boosters.
What do you mean by wireless booster? Do you mean the ones that are wireless - they communicate wirelessly to the router and boost the signal wirelessly?

I have one of those on the main floor for all the devices attached to the TV (and the devices attached to it that use internet/networking - blueray, appleTV), a desktop, laptops, smartphones.

It's just in this one room - the connection struggles. The signal strength is strong but at random times the internet will cut out or be very laggy. The signal strength is always between 3-4 bars which isn't perfect but isn't that bad either.

It might be interference, my computer might have a weak wireless card, IDK.

I'm not really concerned about many of the complaints of these devices which center around the speed of these powerline adapters (500Mbps, 200Mbps, etc... - not getting those advertised speeds). All I'm looking for is a hassle free, stable connection that can provide at least 15-25 Mbps which is where my internet is usually at.