HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 6.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-13-2013, 07:25 PM
  #101
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Both Mantha and Rychel are players who I don't want in the first unless we're picking past the 25th pick. I'd much rather prefer them in the second, however I don't they are there. Both players, especially Mantha, have very enticing skillsets.
That, what are your thoughts on Bowey, he just played with the Kelowna Rockets and lost against the Kamloops Blazers. Reasonably tall, 6'2" or 6'3" RD, I see some of the hockey writers have him going early in the 2nd round. Craig Button has him at #43 and McKenzie has him at #34. Watching him I could see him going later in the 2nd but any earlier is a bit of a reach, imo.

I prefer him to any of our RD prospects (Dietz, Thrower and Ellis) just based on potential but he's still has a lot of rawness he needs to work out.

Frozenice is online now  
Old
04-13-2013, 08:37 PM
  #102
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Watch any of the games in Mantha's last playoff series and get back to us. :-) You don't assume a player is going to be picked high by looking at his numbers. Steve Bernier scored 50 goals in his draft year too did he not?
And he was drafted 16th overall in one of the stronger drafts in recent memory. Case in point.

If your argument is that Mantha is subject to the same doom as Bernier (or that the latter should be used as a cautionary tale), well it is possible. That's where scouting comes through, on the individual.

He's been ranked pretty high for most of the year (with ISS being the sole exception afaik).

As for playoff games, I don't buy into it that much. Small sample sizes don't make or break a prospect, as tempting as the playoffs are as a scouting spotlight (like international tournaments).

Em Ancien is online now  
Old
04-13-2013, 08:59 PM
  #103
Ubercron9000
Registered User
 
Ubercron9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 795
vCash: 500
What I like about our prospects is that they seem to be really hard workers. Something we as HF posters may not know of certain prospects like their training routines or how they conduct themselves in practice(work hard or drag their skates). Those are important attributes to selecting a player. Guys like Pacioretty, Subban and Gallagher are prime examples of guys that train hard on and off the ice. These types of players have better chances of making the NHL. Guys like Benoit pouliot had talent but I'm sure his work ethic isn't at near the same level as those 3 players mentioned.

Ubercron9000 is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 09:03 PM
  #104
That
Registered User
 
That's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
That, what are your thoughts on Bowey, he just played with the Kelowna Rockets and lost against the Kamloops Blazers. Reasonably tall, 6'2" or 6'3" RD, I see some of the hockey writers have him going early in the 2nd round. Craig Button has him at #43 and McKenzie has him at #34. Watching him I could see him going later in the 2nd but any earlier is a bit of a reach, imo.

I prefer him to any of our RD prospects (Dietz, Thrower and Ellis) just based on potential but he's still has a lot of rawness he needs to work out.
Really, really like Bowey. I've heard that his hockey sense is questionable, but I honestly don't agree. He does make the rare unnecessary risk, but for the most part he plays a fairly reliable defensive game. He's got a lot of tools (skating, shot, size), but is still quite raw.

I like him around the middle of the second, but I could definitely see him going earlier due to his skillset. He's got lots of good upside as an aggressive two-way defenceman.


Last edited by That: 04-13-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: spelling
That is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 09:12 PM
  #105
pcamp
Registered User
 
pcamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
I don't think trading up in this draft is worth it . There was a study on the main board about drafting based on the 1998-2008 drats period and from 5-30 the % of getting a top6f/top4d/sg is 35% and from 15-30 is 30% so that 5% isnt really worth it . Also, players like bergeron weber eriksson were drafted in the second round of the 2003 draft who is supposed to be similar in term of depth as this years'

pcamp is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 12:02 AM
  #106
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,968
vCash: 500
Only one name is important....Fucale.

Whitesnake is online now  
Old
04-14-2013, 12:47 AM
  #107
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Only one name is important....Fucale.
I know you are saying this because of tonight.

But I would certainly pick him up if he's there at our pick.

SOLR is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 12:52 AM
  #108
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
I know you are saying this because of tonight.

But I would certainly pick him up if he's there at our pick.
Well I'm joking with the "only one name" as I'M probably the one who's known with a top 30 for each pick....Yet, I'm EXTREMELY serious when I say that we need goalies. Might not be Fucale, but has to be a goalie that even picked in the 2nd or whatever could turn out to be great. I do like Fucale a lot though....

Whitesnake is online now  
Old
04-14-2013, 07:59 AM
  #109
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I'm almost positive Morin will be drafted ahead of Mantha...he'd be a player worth moving up for. Someone who isn't getting much attention on here is McCoshen...he's a late riser, and pretty much a lock to be picked in the 20's. I've heard comparisons to McDonagh.
Bernier was picked 16th overall Grant, might not be the best example

QuebecPride is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 08:01 AM
  #110
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamp View Post
I don't think trading up in this draft is worth it . There was a study on the main board about drafting based on the 1998-2008 drats period and from 5-30 the % of getting a top6f/top4d/sg is 35% and from 15-30 is 30% so that 5% isnt really worth it . Also, players like bergeron weber eriksson were drafted in the second round of the 2003 draft who is supposed to be similar in term of depth as this years'
I've been saying this for a while, but pick where the pics end up being at. If you see someone you really want, la Tinordi, go for it. But I'm pretty confident the Habs will use their picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well I'm joking with the "only one name" as I'M probably the one who's known with a top 30 for each pick....Yet, I'm EXTREMELY serious when I say that we need goalies. Might not be Fucale, but has to be a goalie that even picked in the 2nd or whatever could turn out to be great. I do like Fucale a lot though....
I'd have no problem picking Fucale with our 1st rounder.

QuebecPride is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 10:15 AM
  #111
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,907
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
You guys know that if we select Fucale.. you're going to have to endure the same comments about him as we see with Price. Very much the same "flaws" and style, except Fucale is not the stick handler Price is.

That being said, if there's no worth while forwards left and Fucale is there. You take him. We've seen the return average goalies get (Bishop, Mason etc.) so at the very least we have a good bargaining chip.

WeThreeKings is online now  
Old
04-14-2013, 10:57 AM
  #112
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
You guys know that if we select Fucale.. you're going to have to endure the same comments about him as we see with Price. Very much the same "flaws" and style, except Fucale is not the stick handler Price is.

That being said, if there's no worth while forwards left and Fucale is there. You take him. We've seen the return average goalies get (Bishop, Mason etc.) so at the very least we have a good bargaining chip.
You got it, good goalies are excellent trade bait. Look at Luongo and Schneider. It's a win-win-win situation. If you trade either of them, you get a big return without really taking anything away from the team (providing they're both good goalies). Keep them and you've got competitive goaltending every game you play.

Draft is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 11:23 AM
  #113
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I'm right there with you. I believe 5 of his games were televised this year and he underwhelmed me every single time with his compete and battle level. Way too many Benoit Pouliot/Pierre Dagenais flashbacks.
I'm not a huge fan of his, but he will be a better pro than those guys. Might be a 11-12 12-13 version of Ryder. A guy that can really finish if you give him a good center(Galchenyuk?), the rest of his game is good not great.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 12:12 PM
  #114
chrisralph007
HFB Partner
 
chrisralph007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 1,992
vCash: 500
THW's The Next Ones April Edition 2013 NHL Mock Draft

Just completed - the most in depth mock draft on the planet up at THW. Okay, well maybe not on the planet. Heck, maybe not even in North America. But...it is pretty in depth...and it is pretty awesome...somewhat at least

Some story lines:
- Habs draft prospect from la belle province
- Flames draft 2 kids born in Calgary plus an offensive dynamo
- Oilers nab another Russian
- Leafs draft son of enforcer
- So do Jets!
- Sens get an ice warrior
- Avs brings a big blueliner back home! (not that much of a shock).
- Devils cash in on Grigorenko situation take 2.
- Caps refurbish their Swedish prospect ranks

Link: http://thehockeywriters.com/2013-nhl...april-edition/

chrisralph007 is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 12:16 PM
  #115
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisralph007 View Post
THW's The Next Ones April Edition 2013 NHL Mock Draft

Just completed - the most in depth mock draft on the planet up at THW. Okay, well maybe not on the planet. Heck, maybe not even in North America. But...it is pretty in depth...and it is pretty awesome...somewhat at least

Some story lines:
- Habs draft prospect from la belle province
- Flames draft 2 kids born in Calgary plus an offensive dynamo
- Oilers nab another Russian
- Leafs draft son of enforcer
- So do Jets!
- Sens get an ice warrior
- Avs brings a big blueliner back home! (not that much of a shock).
- Devils cash in on Grigorenko situation take 2.
- Caps refurbish their Swedish prospect ranks

Link: http://thehockeywriters.com/2013-nhl...april-edition/
No way Dauphin goes that high. Solid prospect but closer to late 2nd/3rd rd than a 1st rounder. I think if they draft a Quebec kid it will be Gauthier, I think he is just scratching the surface. I expect he would be gone by the habs pick though.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 12:19 PM
  #116
Scotianhab
Registered User
 
Scotianhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well I'm joking with the "only one name" as I'M probably the one who's known with a top 30 for each pick....Yet, I'm EXTREMELY serious when I say that we need goalies. Might not be Fucale, but has to be a goalie that even picked in the 2nd or whatever could turn out to be great. I do like Fucale a lot though....
It would not shock me to see one of the Oilers, Flyers, or Flames take Fucale in the first rd. I could see the Flames taking one of Mac/Drouin with their first pick and Fucale with the St. Louis pick if he's still there.

Scotianhab is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 01:12 PM
  #117
Dada
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
You guys know that if we select Fucale.. you're going to have to endure the same comments about him as we see with Price. Very much the same "flaws" and style, except Fucale is not the stick handler Price is.

That being said, if there's no worth while forwards left and Fucale is there. You take him. We've seen the return average goalies get (Bishop, Mason etc.) so at the very least we have a good bargaining chip.

What about Comrie? Is he supose to go before Fucale?

Dada is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 01:18 PM
  #118
BrimStone64
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisralph007 View Post
THW's The Next Ones April Edition 2013 NHL Mock Draft

Just completed - the most in depth mock draft on the planet up at THW. Okay, well maybe not on the planet. Heck, maybe not even in North America. But...it is pretty in depth...and it is pretty awesome...somewhat at least

Some story lines:
- Habs draft prospect from la belle province
- Flames draft 2 kids born in Calgary plus an offensive dynamo
- Oilers nab another Russian
- Leafs draft son of enforcer
- So do Jets!
- Sens get an ice warrior
- Avs brings a big blueliner back home! (not that much of a shock).
- Devils cash in on Grigorenko situation take 2.
- Caps refurbish their Swedish prospect ranks

Link: http://thehockeywriters.com/2013-nhl...april-edition/
Habs would rather have Hartman. Morin be right up their ally also.

BrimStone64 is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 04:45 PM
  #119
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,907
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dada View Post
What about Comrie? Is he supose to go before Fucale?
Comrie should go in the late 2nd/early 3rd round. Believe his stock isn't as high as it once was.

WeThreeKings is online now  
Old
04-14-2013, 05:41 PM
  #120
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
No way Dauphin goes that high. Solid prospect but closer to late 2nd/3rd rd than a 1st rounder. I think if they draft a Quebec kid it will be Gauthier, I think he is just scratching the surface. I expect he would be gone by the habs pick though.
Dauphin could easily be a 1st.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 06:17 PM
  #121
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,716
vCash: 500
http://hockeyphenoms.blogspot.ca/201...prospects.html

Jonathan Diaby ?

Analyzer is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 06:19 PM
  #122
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,907
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
If we had a 4th or 5th round pick.. Timmins would take Andrighetto

WeThreeKings is online now  
Old
04-14-2013, 06:28 PM
  #123
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If we had a 4th or 5th round pick.. Timmins would take Andrighetto
We had a 7th last year

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 06:36 PM
  #124
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,907
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
We had a 7th last year
So did 29 other teams

WeThreeKings is online now  
Old
04-14-2013, 06:40 PM
  #125
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
So did 29 other teams
I find it amusing though that kids like that get passed on, when we tought he would get drafted and then one year later the kid will go 3rd-4th-5th round... Ridiculous.


Last edited by Mrb1p: 04-14-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Mrb1p is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.