Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2013, 04:45 PM
aresknights

vCash: 500
Assumptions everywhere. Rat, whistleblower, affiliated with team, player that received benefit, other jealous player passed over, whatever.
It's all speculation on all sides and I'm guessing it'll remain that way as I'm ASSUMING a confidentiality agreement was agreed to by all parties but could be wrong.
At the end of the day the one group Spits fans should be most pissed at is the staff. The made the dealings, got caught, denied it vehemently and than just walked away. Without there decisions and actions after wed either have not gone thru this, or know what happened.
Worrying bout the rat, his/her intentions or motivations really don't matter.
I like whistleblower protection!
I assume it was someone the ever personable and always like able Mr Rychel pissed off. ( Insert sacasm icon) I know a few parents of kids that have dealt with him and the feedback is consistent, albeit small sample and only from kids not in the O- jackass

Last edited by aresknights: 04-13-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old
04-13-2013, 05:07 PM
punch1943

Knights Playoff News for our visitors from down the road.

On a lighter note....
Doesn't it just warm the cockles of your heart to see Maxine celebrate an empty netter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me98rDPP1gU

On a more serious note... Matt Rupert of the London Knights is done for the playoffs with a broken bone in his ankle....Matt is always a fan favorite when the Knights come to town....

Old
04-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Ottomatic

^It matters if it was your current goalie coach. It matters if it was an ex-Spit who became a Knight in his last year in the league and was encouraged to cooperate with the investigation for London's benefit.

It's crooked for Branch to look the other way in some cases while other cases are capital offenses. Why is it okay for the first round of the OHL draft to be all cooked deals? Why call it a draft at all?

All cities are not the same - bigger cities get to press their advantage that smaller cities cannot sell. By allowing players to pick who they play for, you're allowing the whole system to be knowingly corrupted - but then play crusader against "recruitment violations" so you pretend to be doing something. It's a farce, and Branch is the biggest phony going.

Old
04-13-2013, 05:16 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
^There is a difference between a whistleblower and a RAT. A whistleblower sees something wrong and contacts proper authorities or the press to shine sunlight on it. The RAT takes part in the shady dealings and then RATS when they get caught, for revenge or they see personal benefit out of doing so.
Again, who says that the informants actually benefitted? They might have, they might not. Could have been another player who was witness to it and stepped forward.

Old
04-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
On a lighter note....
Doesn't it just warm the cockles of your heart to see Maxine celebrate an empty netter.

On a more serious note... Matt Rupert of the London Knights is done for the playoffs with a broken bone in his ankle....Matt is always a fan favorite when the Knights come to town....

Old
04-13-2013, 05:21 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
^It matters if it was your current goalie coach. It matters if it was an ex-Spit who became a Knight in his last year in the league and was encouraged to cooperate with the investigation for London's benefit.
I don't want to get into it to deep, but I can assure you that neither of those things occurred.

Old
04-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Again, who says that the informants actually benefitted? They might have, they might not. Could have been another player who was witness to it and stepped forward.
No way the league could build their case on hearsay. They'd need to get the player who got the extras to admit to it and sign pen to paper.

Whoever the Spits were benefited from the "recruitment violation", and then once out of the league decided to rat.

Old
04-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
No way the league could build their case on hearsay. They'd need to get the player who got the extras to admit to it and sign pen to paper.

Whoever the Spits were benefited from the "recruitment violation", and then once out of the league decided to rat.
I can certainly tell you there was no 'ratting' involved.

Old
04-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Rubbers29

[QUOTE=Ottomatic;63879087]One of the London fans seems pretty sure Bill Dark is one of the sources. He's now coaching in London, and just so happens London is bidding for the Memorial Cup, and probably the favorites - in large part because of the sanctions against Windsor.QUOTE]

Do you really think that's why Windsor is not favoured to host? I understand the whole got shafted in 2011 thing and expected to get it this year to make up for that, and I agree with it, but from what I have seen the biggest hurdle to Windsor winning the bid is WR, even with the sanctions against, he traded away most of the assets Windsor had to get a few players to boost his kids #'s pre-draft, the trades he made did absolutely nothing to improve next years line up for a mem cup run, I just don't see how they could go into their presentation and tell the selection commitee they're going to ice a Memorial Cup calibre team! and Saskatoon's 1st rnd exit this year didn't help any.

Old
04-13-2013, 05:40 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
RE: Not worth the fight: If the costs of lawyers is > or = to the difference between the original fine and the agreed fine (once adjusted for TVOM) then it is not worth the process. Doesn't matter if you're going to win or not.
I never thought of that, but good call. Isn't Pat Ducharme the Spits lawyer? He's not exactly inexpensive.

Quote:
Most of the free world is looking for increased whistleblower protection. You guys want them diminished. Interesting.
Has anyone here watched the movie The Insider?

Old
04-13-2013, 06:32 PM
aresknights

Thank you Tigers!!!!!

Last edited by aresknights: 04-13-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old
04-13-2013, 06:34 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbers29 View Post

Do you really think that's why Windsor is not favoured to host? I understand the whole got shafted in 2011 thing and expected to get it this year to make up for that, and I agree with it, but from what I have seen the biggest hurdle to Windsor winning the bid is WR, even with the sanctions against, he traded away most of the assets Windsor had to get a few players to boost his kids #'s pre-draft, the trades he made did absolutely nothing to improve next years line up for a mem cup run, I just don't see how they could go into their presentation and tell the selection commitee they're going to ice a Memorial Cup calibre team! and Saskatoon's 1st rnd exit this year didn't help any.
You're right that those deals make no sense if the hope was to host the Memorial Cup... so follow the logic here and it spells the end of Windsor's chances to host the tournament. At least they were told before the draft.

Old
04-13-2013, 06:34 PM
aresknights

Thank you Tigers!!!!!

I get fans are upset. The whoa is me, rats everywhere, branch is screwing us stuff is getting stale.

Old
04-13-2013, 06:38 PM
aresknights

QUOTE=Ottomatic;63879087]One of the London fans seems pretty sure Bill Dark is one of the sources. He's now coaching in London, and just so happens London is bidding for the Memorial Cup, and probably the favorites - in large part because of the sanctions against Windsor.QUOTE]

You may misread original post or it may have been written in a way that Ud take it like that. Not the intention, I don't think ( if its the post I'm remembering)

Old
04-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
On a lighter note....

Good and he deserved to get a good punch in the face after, Kid sure is the complete opposite of his father, you'd think Tie's boy would have some balls.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:21 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Good and he deserved to get a good punch in the face after, Kid sure is the complete opposite of his father, you'd think Tie's boy would have some balls.
Tie was know for hot dogging as well ( lots of title belt jestures) He matured as many players do after some good advice
I'm not a fan of some of Maxs actions but in This case he really didnt have time to defend or stick up for himself.
Yes he deserved a little attention after his fist pump

Old
04-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Thank you Tigers!!!!!

I get fans are upset. The whoa is me, rats everywhere, branch is screwing us stuff is getting stale.
Branch wanted nothing to do with this. He's about optics (as we see with the suspensions) and hates when his league gets a black eye. He was presented with facts and was forced to act. No player went to Branch.

Branch kept the players names quiet for the reasons that we see on this site. Players will become targets if they admit guilt, even if it was the parents and agents who orchestrated the deal. We already see some fans calling players 'rats' on here when they did nothing wrong, imaging if it became known, what would fans say then?

The other reason why names will never see the light of day is because Branch wants anyone with info to understand that they will not be named publically. No diffident then what we see in the legal system.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Ottomatic

If the parents/agents orchestrated the deal - well the agent(s) should be penalized as well. And if their parents did it, they have some gall snitching to the league about it. Interesting that their agent/parents get the benefits and only the Spits get penalized.

And furthermore if agents were involved, as we supposed to believe WR is the only GM to give the agents what they were asking? Or that the Spit drafted players parents came up with their demands all by themselves and they were not told about how player x from another team got x, y, z to sign there?

Player wants to snitch, then have the guts to own up to it publicly. Because he's throwing the rest of his teammates under the bus as they're all under the cloud of suspicion.

These players shouldn't feel comfortable coming back to alumni functions. If the Spits cheated, so did they. And they screwed over the franchise by snitching to Branch or his enforcement officer.

Branch is all about optics - screw Windsor.

Old
04-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Ottomatic

[QUOTE=Rubbers29;63879819]
Quote:
One of the London fans seems pretty sure Bill Dark is one of the sources. He's now coaching in London, and just so happens London is bidding for the Memorial Cup, and probably the favorites - in large part because of the sanctions against Windsor.QUOTE]

Absolutely I do. Because Branch and his cronies are not going to give the hosting gig to a team Branch hammered with sanctions not a year earlier.

And the sanctions hurt next years team - Sean Day would have been a big time selling piece for one. And if he wasn't seen as ready to contribute - he would have been a huge trade chip in January. Also if every American brought over wasn't now assumed to be crooked maybe others would have came over.

WR traded for Aleardi at the deadline - trading Lorentz. That's it. Koko came back not to be traded. Who else was traded? Clarke was traded for Koekkoek. Slater is back next year. Posa was traded away for a 4th. Remy Giftopoulis is back as an OA.

So the big trade made by WR was trading away Lorentz for a graduating OA. And the mission there was because he felt the Spits needed "playoff experience" as part of the sell job to the committee and Lorenz was miserable here and would have not been back as an OA regardless.

London gets the hosting gig and the league is admitting it's a farce. Period. What we were sold in 2011 was that the league wanted to use the mem Cup to try and spur interest in the GTA. Well London doesn't have any fan base or interest problems. And the hosted it 9 years ago - and the same people who awarded it to London then are sitting on the committee now, and the same people who said "Mem Cup used to build interest in the GTA" are now going to say "welp, building fan bases don't matter this time because it's London".

Old
04-13-2013, 08:16 PM
OHLTG

So who orchestrated the entire thing? I'd be content knowing if it was a player, players, parent, billet, or someone in an organization. I understand why names aren't being mentioned, but when you affect an organization like this, knowing full well it's likely happening elsewhere and no one else is being punished, you can understand why we're slightly irritated.

Old
04-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
If the parents/agents orchestrated the deal - well the agent(s) should be penalized as well. And if their parents did it, they have some gall snitching to the league about it. Interesting that their agent/parents get the benefits and only the Spits get penalized.
How exactly would you like David Branch to sanction parents and agents? He has as much authority over them as I do over you.

Quote:
And furthermore if agents were involved, as we supposed to believe WR is the only GM to give the agents what they were asking? Or that the Spit drafted players parents came up with their demands all by themselves and they were not told about how player x from another team got x, y, z to sign there?
David Branch was given evidence by a third party. If you have evidence that other teams have cheated, then please give it to him as well. Without evidence, you can't do anything. He can't sanction hunches.

Quote:
Player wants to snitch, then have the guts to own up to it publicly. Because he's throwing the rest of his teammates under the bus as they're all under the cloud of suspicion.

These players shouldn't feel comfortable coming back to alumni functions. If the Spits cheated, so did they. And they screwed over the franchise by snitching to Branch or his enforcement officer.
For the...8th time? It wasn't a player. But your comments show why names shouldn't be given.

Ill give Warren credit. All year he took responsibility for the penalties. Never said 'what about the others', just 'we messed up'. Hes a stand up guy.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Rubbers29

[QUOTE=Ottomatic;63898515]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbers29 View Post

WR traded for Aleardi at the deadline - trading Lorentz. That's it. Koko came back not to be traded. Who else was traded? Clarke was traded for Koekkoek. Slater is back next year. Posa was traded away for a 4th. Remy Giftopoulis is back as an OA.

So the big trade made by WR was trading away Lorentz for a graduating OA. And the mission there was because he felt the Spits needed "playoff experience" as part of the sell job to the committee and Lorenz was miserable here and would have not been back as an OA regardless.
Why not trade Koko if you want to make a run at the cup? Why pick up an OA as a boost to your team, if you want to impress the commitee, showing your playoff experience of 4 games isn't going to help, whats going to help is using Koko to get a few more sconds to add to the 3 spares you already have, 6 second round picks is pretty damn good trade bait for some of next years top pleyers, assemble a team for next year to play around the prodical son (Kirby), that impresses them, not some decent OA's and 1 scoring line.

and if you're going to say that Koko wouldn't accept a trade, don't bother, he wasn't going to even play for Windsor this year until his dad got fired from the Russian team he was playing for, and there is no way in hell Boston was going to let him refuse a trade to a contender. I guarantee WR was not accepting offers on him.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:17 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
How exactly would you like David Branch to sanction parents and agents? He has as much authority over them as I do over you.

David Branch was given evidence by a third party. If you have evidence that other teams have cheated, then please give it to him as well. Without evidence, you can't do anything. He can't sanction hunches.

For the...8th time? It wasn't a player. But your comments show why names shouldn't be given.

Ill give Warren credit. All year he took responsibility for the penalties. Never said 'what about the others', just 'we messed up'. Hes a stand up guy.
Thanks for the insight Tigers. This is about what I expected, and it's great to hear from someone who is generally in the know.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Tigers is right. You guys really see conspiracies everywhere.

Also here's some food for thought...maybe they didn't award the mem cup to windsor because they have no chance of winning it by themselves - whereas the Knights, say for example, do.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:51 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
Why not trade Koko if you want to make a run at the cup? Why pick up an OA as a boost to your team, if you want to impress the commitee, showing your playoff experience of 4 games isn't going to help, whats going to help is using Koko to get a few more sconds to add to the 3 spares you already have, 6 second round picks is pretty damn good trade bait for some of next years top pleyers, assemble a team for next year to play around the prodical son (Kirby), that impresses them, not some decent OA's and 1 scoring line.
Trading Koko would have started a domino effect. The only way you deal Koko is if you weren't going to make noise this year and knew you were going full-out rebuild. Once Koko stayed, they built up in hopes for a long playoff-run. Injuries kind of halted that.

Quote:
Tigers is right. You guys really see conspiracies everywhere.
When you have a Memorial Cup essentially bought instead of earned, and you have a major scandal that includes losing picks and cash, but no details as to who did what or when, you're going to have people who look at things sideways.

Quote:
maybe they didn't award the mem cup to windsor because they have no chance of winning it by themselves - whereas the Knights, say for example, do.
Nobody has won anything yet. Plus, who are any of us to say 100% that Windsor has "no chance" of winning it next year?

Closed Thread