HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ortmeyer's condition creating a surprise opportunity for...?

Old
08-29-2006, 01:56 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
I've said all along that the NHL Rangers weren't really rebuilding right NOW, but more of a renovation on the fly...The rebuilding was and is being done on the organziational level and getting it to a point where a steady stream of players can finally start pushing into New York...
To me that's a rebuild, regardless of what name we come up with for it.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post

The point is, different people have different concepts of what a REBUILD is and nobody is really right...Not you...Not me...Not anybody.....I too see it as an organizational rebuild but the effects on the major league club are felt last, and why the interim changing (first Euro, the nswitching to NA) renovation...

FLETCH---ROTFL (Rennovation On The FLy)....

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 02:03 PM
chosen

Quote:
I'm of the belief that in the current system every team can be called "in a rebuild phase" almost every year because of the monetary cap.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Fletch

It could very well...

come to that, Chosen. Of course, each team will be able to retain a good deal of their personnel and if planned properly, would continue to have that stable base from which to build, so it doesn't feel like a rebuild each year.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 02:21 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
come to that, Chosen. Of course, each team will be able to retain a good deal of their personnel and if planned properly, would continue to have that stable base from which to build, so it doesn't feel like a rebuild each year.
That will be the key FLetch--scouting and drafting... having that good organizational depth, the pipe line open and players ready to go to the next level (instead of mid-level vets) or being used in trades later in the season IF the conditions are right..

Old
08-29-2006, 02:36 PM
94now

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and venture a guess that english isn't your first language? I seriously do not mean that as an insult or a joke, just the way these sentences are being put together makes me wonder.
No. This is English. Engeneering form of. I was going through specification and got carried away. Sort of... Sorry.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 02:41 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Total re-build is a sign of organizational failure. I don't think current CBA would prevent that from happening. It may be less likely, but it still will be part of life. Other leagues with salary cap are proving that.

Old
08-29-2006, 02:49 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
No. This is English. Engeneering form of. I was going through specification and got carried away. Sort of... Sorry.
Ah so that's what it is. Talking like this. Is kind of. Understand now I can.

Old
08-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
That will be the key FLetch--scouting and drafting... having that good organizational depth, the pipe line open and players ready to go to the next level (instead of mid-level vets) or being used in trades later in the season IF the conditions are right..
Well yes every team has to has to scout and draft well to begin with, but a rebuild is where there is a higher than average amount of resources in the system and there is a more pronounced tendency to bring those resources in.

But what the Rangers are doing and with whom is a bit differant than say, SJ who is filling out what they have.

The core of the team is still being refined and rebuilt. Even a guy like Jagr, because of his age, is not going to be a key component in a few years.

The Rangers over the next few years are going to have an above average turnover rate than a lot of teams as their young defenseman and young forwards work their way into the lineup.

Old
08-29-2006, 03:00 PM
Fletch

Didn't say...

total failure can't happen...just not to every team every season.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 03:01 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
The core of the team is still being refined and rebuilt. Even a guy like Jagr, because of his age, is not going to be a key component in a few years.

The Rangers over the next few years are going to have an above average turnover rate than a lot of teams as their young defenseman and young forwards work their way into the lineup.
And? Who's arguing? I'm saying the same exact thing...And why I'm not worried about the possibility of only a few youngsters impacting this year..

Old
08-29-2006, 03:06 PM
94now

Quote:

What is average? Is it 3, 6 10 new players? How much above?

Old
08-29-2006, 05:09 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
What is average? Is it 3, 6 10 new players? How much above?
I think the average team brings in maybe around 2 regular playing time vets and tries (if possible) to work in a rookie.

The Rangers have brought in 3 vets that figure to play very significant time and you're looking at serious looks to about two rookies.

Next year you're possibly looking at 2-3 rookies and probably the year after another 2-3 rookies as they come along.

The 03-05 drafts are kind of a Ranger "baby boom" if you will which will produce a slightly higher young population than most team's in the league.

As such with so many picks, if the Rangers have drafted as good as it seems so far you're looking at maybe getting 2-3 kids from each draft that will be coming along over the next 3 seasons or so.

Last season represented the first wave of young players, generally the older guys, in some cases the guys who aren't really amongst the top Ranger prospects in potential.

This season we'll start to see some of the higher prospects (over the course of the year) and by next year you'll see a contination of that, and by about 08 you'll start to see the end of that so-called "wave".

As older guys start to get phased out on defense, as forwards work their way in and probably inevitably as the Rangers move some chips to get a young cornerstone forward to build around.

If last season was the begining of the rebuild (commonly referred to the first three innings in discussions), this season is the start of the middle innings, with next year rounding out that middle and '08 serving as the book end.

When we look at the top prospects from the past 2 years, they are just now starting to turn pro. Obviously they all aren't playing this year but just playing the numbers says the Rangers are going to be phasing quite a few in.

If for no other reason than just how many picks they've had over the last few years.

Old
08-29-2006, 09:50 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Ah so that's what it is. Talking like this. Is kind of. Understand now I can.
Anyone ever seen Edge and Yoda in the same place at the same time...?

In all seriousness, Edge, I think you've hit on it exactly right regarding the current renovation/rebuild over the next couple of years. My only disagreement is that I was also happy with this year's draft and am hoping for that trend to continue past 2005. One of the few places the Rangers can still use their financial resources is scouting and the farm - they appear to be doing that.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Anyone ever seen Edge and Yoda in the same place at the same time...?

In all seriousness, Edge, I think you've hit on it exactly right regarding the current renovation/rebuild over the next couple of years. My only disagreement is that I was also happy with this year's draft and am hoping for that trend to continue past 2005. One of the few places the Rangers can still use their financial resources is scouting and the farm - they appear to be doing that.
Me and Y-diddy have been known to hit the clubs pretty hard, though the closer I get to 30 the harder it is to burn the candle at both ends.

As for 06, I agree with you. I tend to put it a little lower on the list than 04 and 05 mainly because the Rangers had such a crazy number of picks in those drafts. If the Rangers get as much talent out of 06 with less picks, than it'd probably be considered better than those draft. Really nothing more than looking at pure numbers right now.