HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

What will it take to get Regier fired?

Old
04-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

vCash: 500
You don't really need much of a reason to move on from Darcy....

We are awful, an have gotten worse over the last 3 years.

He isn't a horrible GM, but he isn't a great GM either.... And his trophy case is relatively empty... Nothing thy really matters.

16 years is a long time.... Change is good.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
You don't really need much of a reason to move on from Darcy....

We are awful, an have gotten worse over the last 3 years.

He isn't a horrible GM, but he isn't a great GM either.... And his trophy case is relatively empty... Nothing thy really matters.

16 years is a long time.... Change is good.

Change for the sake of change is not good.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:35 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Sorry but that's completely inaccurate. The only thing you can critique a GM on is wins and losses. Decisions making sense in a vacuum doesn't matter. The results of those decisions are what matters.
No, that is completely inaccurate. The only thing that a GM can control is his decisions, and if the decisions make sense, he's doing a good job. If the decisions make sense but that doesn't translate to on-ice results, there are an incredible number of factors that exist between the GM and the ice that could explain that. What are you going to do, hire a GM whose decisions don't make sense and just hope that his different-ness leads to the playoffs?

Results is a downright unuseable metric when the team is selling present assets for futures (which is a high level strategy that most posters support, by the way). They could have kept Guastad last year and squeaked into the playoffs. Would that have made Darcy a better GM? They could have pulled a Washington and traded Grigorenko for Erat (or something) to try and make the playoffs this year. Would that have made Darcy a better GM?

Quote:
Hindsight is just another way of criticizing lack of foresight.
#1 misconception on HFB. There are no GMs with crystal balls. Hindsight is criticizing based on information that was not available at the time of the decision, and pretending that there was a rational way to have "known better."

Quote:
So "directionless rage" is also inaccurate. The Rage is pointed directly at the indisputable fact that we've been getting worse while spending more and having less "constraints"
You are mad that we aren't contenders but can't point to any trend of incompetent decisions constituting the reason why. Ergo, directionless rage.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Change for the sake of change is not good.
It's not for te sake of change.... It's because we're awful.

Old
04-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
No, that is completely inaccurate. The only thing that a GM can control is his decisions, and if the decisions make sense, he's doing a good job. If the decisions make sense but that doesn't translate to on-ice results, there are an incredible number of factors that exist between the GM and the ice that could explain that. What are you going to do, hire a GM whose decisions don't make sense and just hope that his different-ness leads to the playoffs?

Results is a downright unuseable metric when the team is selling present assets for futures (which is a high level strategy that most posters support, by the way). They could have kept Guastad last year and squeaked into the playoffs. Would that have made Darcy a better GM? They could have pulled a Washington and traded Grigorenko for Erat (or something) to try and make the playoffs this year. Would that have made Darcy a better GM?

#1 misconception on HFB. There are no GMs with crystal balls. Hindsight is criticizing based on information that was not available at the time of the decision, and pretending that there was a rational way to have "known better."

You are mad that we aren't contenders but can't point to any trend of incompetent decisions constituting the reason why. Ergo, directionless rage.
I have no desire to debate someone who believes the results don't matter. I got to that line and stopped reading. Obviously trading Gaustad last year and Poms this year make us worse.

Why were we in the position that we needs to trade those guys? Darcy's failure leading up to te deadline is why we had to move Pominville.

Old
04-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Sabresfansince1980

He didn't say that results don't matter, he said the reasons why matter just as much, and that the GM can't be responsible for all those reasons.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:57 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

In any business the results are all that matter. In any given game/season there are a litany of reasons why the results are what they are.

Someone is ultimately responsible for the results. I don't know of anyone higher on the hockey food chain than Darcy.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Royisgone

I'm sure there's a contingent here that will argue the sky is not blue, or could be thought of as green if you consider factors x, y, and z.

Unlike anyone in this organization, Bill Parcells has actually won championships.

His famous quote: "You are what your record says you are."

Thank you Darcy for your years of service. You were hired as a totally unproven talent because you worked for cheap. You have done what you were asked to do for the bulk of your tenure here. Now we need someone who has more to offer, b/c the goals of the organization have changed. We are trying to win a Cup now, and that task is beyond your pay grade.

Thank you, goodbye, and good luck.

End of story.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 07:26 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

I truly believe that some people refuse to let to of the "scary good" Sabres. Darcy, Lindy And the players from that time.... Some fans just want to make it work with them because they fell short and those runs we're so fun.

It's very very simple. Darcy runs the hockey team. When things go wrong he's te one who has to answer for it. No playoff victories in 6 years, progressively worse in the last 3..... It's some bodies fault.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post
I'm sure there's a contingent here that will argue the sky is not blue, or could be thought of as green if you consider factors x, y, and z.

Unlike anyone in this organization, Bill Parcells has actually won championships.

His famous quote: "You are what your record says you are."

Thank you Darcy for your years of service. You were hired as a totally unproven talent because you worked for cheap. You have done what you were asked to do for the bulk of your tenure here. Now we need someone who has more to offer, b/c the goals of the organization have changed. We are trying to win a Cup now, and that task is beyond your pay grade.

Thank you, goodbye, and good luck.

End of story.
lol.

Darcy Reiger WILL be the General Manager of this Hockey Club next year... Book it.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
lol.

Darcy Reiger WILL be the General Manager of this Hockey Club next year... Book it.
Where did I write otherwise? Don't confuse how I think it should be with how it is. At this juncture, I agree with you. It is obvious that--for now--Pegula is happy with Darcy and is willing to give his rebuild a chance.

This mistake will set us back several more years.

Luckily, I enjoy other sports as well.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:40 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
So if Darcy was "forced to dismantle" his success, how is that on him?
That's exactly what I'm saying.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Darcy may very well turn it around. He's not an idiot, and if he gets a little lucky we could be very good in a few years.

That doesn't mean Dargy has earned another chance. It doesn't mean he deserves another chance.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
I truly believe that some people refuse to let to of the "scary good" Sabres. Darcy, Lindy And the players from that time.... Some fans just want to make it work with them because they fell short and those runs we're so fun.

It's very very simple. Darcy runs the hockey team. When things go wrong he's te one who has to answer for it. No playoff victories in 6 years, progressively worse in the last 3..... It's some bodies fault.
Maybe, but I have no romantic thoughts about old teams. I wanted Ruff to go, and to see what Regier can do with a new owner and different coach. If that fails then find a new GM...simple as that.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Where did I write otherwise? Don't confuse how I think it should be with how it is. At this juncture, I agree with you. It is obvious that--for now--Pegula is happy with Darcy and is willing to give his rebuild a chance.

This mistake will set us back several more years.

Luckily, I enjoy other sports as well.
Too bad there is nothing to back up those assertions. Stomping your feet and folding your arms doesn't make you any more right.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Darcy may very well turn it around. He's not an idiot, and if he gets a little lucky we could be very good in a few years.

That doesn't mean Dargy has earned another chance. It doesn't mean he deserves another chance.
You're right. It means he deserves a chance with no restrictions. 2 years is hardly a chance.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Too bad there is nothing to back up those assertions. Stomping your feet and folding your arms doesn't make you any more right.
Right, nothing to back up these assertions.

How about time?

Let's talk in a few years when Darcy is finally fired. We'll see how you feel then.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Right, nothing to back up these assertions.

How about time?

Let's talk in a few years when Darcy is finally fired. We'll see how you feel then.
My feelings will change in a few years if we're still in the same predickamint

As of now... I'm liking the direction he's taking.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
to answer question one: the Ducks. They didn't have any homegrown top 2 picks.

to answer question two: Last year's Kings. Doughty was their only homegrown top 2 pick.
The Ducks had Niedermayer and Pronger. The Kings had Doughty (#2) and Hickey (#4). If you are going to refute a post, do some research.

The bottom line is the Sabres have had 2 top ten picks in 26 years. Teams that win need top end drafting with players on ELCs as well as veteran talent. The Sabres need to pick high to succeed (if history is a lesson).

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Royisgone

Quote:
My feelings will change in a few years if we're still in the same predickamint

As of now... I'm liking the direction he's taking.
Fair enough. Hell, I'll buy you a beer if a Darcy Regier built team wins the Cup.

Old
Ace1963

Regier should have been fired after the Michael Peca fiasco.
When I think of Regier's trends, I think of a decade of Tim Connolly.

Ace1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace1963 View Post
Regier should have been fired after the Michael Peca fiasco.
When I of Regier's trends, I think of a decade of Tim Connolly.
That and so much more.

Hell, the Stafford re-signing alone is enough to blow your mind.

Apparently Darcy studied Stafford's game, in totality, and concluded at the time "I want to retain this piece of the puzzle."

That's scary.

I also enjoyed his Pommer trade PC, in which he basically said "When Terry bought the team and we finally had money, I pursued a specific path to achieve success. I now realize that was all wrong. We have nothing here to build on and without a foundation, we will go nowhere. So we are rebuilding." Only he wouldn't use the "R" word.

He should be fired on that basis alone.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
You're right. It means he deserves a chance with no restrictions. 2 years is hardly a chance.
He completely whiffed out of the gate. He spent more $$ than anyone on an awful team. I have my doubts that Darcy knows how to operate with no restrictions.

His decision on a coach will tell me everything I need to know.

Old
04-13-2013, 08:00 PM
SnuggaRUDE

Quote:
In any business the results are all that matter. In any given game/season there are a litany of reasons why the results are what they are.

Someone is ultimately responsible for the results. I don't know of anyone higher on the hockey food chain than Darcy.
In any endeavor with a lot of risk exposure you make decisions based on maximizing opportunity for success. Not some half blind outcome analysis.

http://pokerterms.com/results-oriented-thinking.html

If you need a business example; equity trading is the most glaringly obvious one. But even mundane actions like construction or project management use the concept of expected value.

If a team selects Jones 1st overall and he gets hit by a bus the next day; did they make the wrong choice?

SnuggaRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Ace1963

Quote:
He doesn't "deserve" anything. These are the pros. Much better men than Regier have gotten fired. He's been an utter failure. If the owner wants to keep him, that's his business. It's bad business, but it's his business. But he won't get my business.

Ace1963 is offline   Reply With Quote