HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Sjb141

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
I think we will see a lot of 1 year contracts this off-season due to drop in cap. After that, they can get more money on multi-year contracts when the cap goes up in 2014-15.
Agree, and not just w/ us but a lot of teams around the league. Think there will be a good amount of 3rd/4th liners getting squeezed a bit and available on 1 year deals.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:34 PM
redsono93

Hey guys Jeff Malcomb goalie for Yale looks great was he drafted? If not we should take a look at him.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsono93 View Post
Hey guys Jeff Malcomb goalie for Yale looks great was he drafted? If not we should take a look at him.
NO, but i rather sign hartzall, bigger frame and has been putting up great numbers. I'd really love fro shero to sign hatzall/lagainere both are great players.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:51 PM
Jacob

Laganiere looks really good to me.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:53 PM
redsono93

We really should go out for NCAA players. You would think players would be attracted to our team.

Old
04-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Gumbercules

Per CBC Hotstove

Hanowski signs with GGY
Pens in on Laganiere (commentator listed about 6-8 teams)
Per Friedman, Shero has confirmed Pens are pursuing Hartzell (a couple other teams in the mix)

Old
04-13-2013, 08:14 PM
redsono93

Gus Young Yale looks great too hope we go after him.

Old
04-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbercules View Post
Per CBC Hotstove

Hanowski signs with GGY
Per Friedman, Shero has confirmed Pens are pursuing Hartzell (a couple other teams in the mix)
Hope we sign atleast one!!
Hartzall seems to be having a bad second half.

Last edited by Malkinstheman: 04-13-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old
04-13-2013, 09:42 PM
TMFN
HFB Partner

What do you guys think of Harrison Roupp? Did a story on top intimidating D prospects and he made the top 5. Do you think he has an NHL future with the Pens?

Last edited by shureshot66: 04-13-2013 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Sorry, can't link to your own material. Please apply for the partner program.
Old
04-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Randy Butternubs
| ( ◡)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

vCash: 370
Weird, I just came across this top 5 list:

http://hockeyphenoms.blogspot.com/20...prospects.html

Old
04-13-2013, 10:35 PM
TMFN
HFB Partner

Thanks. Anyway do you guys see him in your future. I know you have a bunch of D prospects that are very talented. Could he be an eventual Orpik replacement with his style or would you prefer to just go with the more highly touted guys?

Old
04-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMFN View Post
Thanks. Anyway do you guys see him in your future. I know you have a bunch of D prospects that are very talented. Could he be an eventual Orpik replacement with his style or would you prefer to just go with the more highly touted guys?
Definately part of our future. He is the only one in our system with that type of skill set, although i only see him as a #5 at best.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:13 PM
Randy Butternubs
| ( ◡)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

vCash: 370
Our defense is stacked, but he brings a unique skill set to the team. I can't remember who in the organization originally called him a "denter", but he is definintely the only denter we have. Seymour is close, but not quite.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:58 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
He's going to be 36 on July 1...he is not a $7 million player anymore. If Iginla asks for more than $5 million a year he's gone.
Agreed, and I don't think he will. He'll take less to play here. He's not going to jump to Boston just because they're offering him $300-$500k more. He wanted to come here, and he's started to lay down his roots and move his family, and already expressed his preference to stay. We've got the 2 best players in the world and one of the top-3 or 4 Dmen in the league. Our core is young and we'll be contenders for the rest of Iginla's career. There aren't more than 2 or 3 other teams you can say that about, and many of the other great teams are as close to the cap as we are (or closer, in some cases). Also, remember: Canadian teams, such as Vancouver, etc., would have to pay Iginla much more than we would have to net the same amount he would make here because of higher income taxes.

There's really only 2 to 4 other teams Jarome would consider, and he chose us already. I don't think he'll chase the money. He can still make extra millions of $$ per year doing ads in Canada (like with Scotia Bank) because of how big a figure he is in hockey in Canada. $$ is not an issue for this guy. Passion, inspiration and winning is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Your numbers for Iginla and Dupuis are overly optimistic. Dupuis is tied for 6th in league goal-scoring while providing elite defense, and why people think Iginla would take almost a million dollars less than Doan, I'll never know.
You can add an extra $500k to Dupers salary (in my example) by finding a replacement for Glass at have of Tanner's salary. Also, Cooke may actually take a pay cut if we offered him a 3 year term, and I think we can get Dupers actual annual salary and cap hit down by offering him longer term (I would go to 4 years easily on Dupers to do this, by which time the cap should be back up anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I think we'd be stupid to let Iggy go if he wanted to stay for Doan money. He's better than Doan, we need everything he brings (grit, skill, RH shot, vet savvy), and we can easily afford him with a couple roster moves.
Doan is not a good comparable. This guy was EVERYTHING to that franchise (Iginla isn't even close to Crosby/Malkin/Letang in PIT or anywhere else that he'd actually be willing to play for/is a contender). Doan was signing with a team that had a 50/50 chance of being relocated, and had virtually ZERO chance of winning a Cup. Doan didn't want to move his family; Iginla has already started to move his family, from what I understand. You have to over-pay players to get them to stay on poor teams, and that's what happened with Doan. (Mikko Koivu, when he re-signed with the Wild a few years ago when they sucked, was another great example of a guy who was overpaid at the time.) Apples and Oranges, IMO.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:16 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfr View Post
Great right up on Maata jmelm, Very happy to hear he is exceeding expectations.

I also agree with your lineup and would love to see it, but my one concern is Dumo. Does he step in next season into the pro lineup? As much as I know next season will be the point Orpik must move on, I dont feel comfortable handing the reigns over to Dumo just yet. Would be nice to give him at least half a season to merge into it, and I supposed we could put Engo or Eaton in that slot until Dumo takes control

Makes you wonder though if Samuelsson could take the next step and be that guy with the great turnaround season he has had
Thanks. I couldn't be any happier (while still being realistic) about how Maatta is looking in his development right now.

Regarding the others: I don't think there's a snowballs chance that Samuelsson can make the jump next year. Perhaps the year after, but he needs that 3rd year.

Dumoulin may not be perfectly ready, but he should be seasoned enough to start. We'll have to trim some salary fat somewhere, and whether Dumo plays on the 2nd or 3rd pair is up to him, but he shouldn't look out of place. He's a top-pairing guy in WBS and a lot of scouts thought he was NHL ready before this season, so I don't think it's unreasonable; and in my example, we'd still have Engelland and Eaton as #7/8 to push Dumo and replace him for some games if he deserves to be scratched. Harrington would be another candidate for that spot, but I think it's Dumo's to lose, quite honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMFN View Post
What do you guys think of Harrison Roupp? Did a story on top intimidating D prospects and he made the top 5. Do you think he has an NHL future with the Pens? Could he be an eventual Orpik replacement with his style or would you prefer to just go with the more highly touted guys?
I see Ruopp as a guy who has a chance to have a future as a legit bottom pairing Dman and not just an enforcer, very much in the mold of how Engelland has been for us the past 2 seasons. I do, however, think he'll need a full 3 years to hone his game in the AHL. I suppose it's still possible that he could someday turn into a top-3/4 minute guy like Brooks and play on the top "shutdown pairing", but it's probably more realistic to see him as that 3rd pairing guy who's tough to play against and keep opponents honest. Either way, he appears to be part of our future if he works hard and develops well, because he has a skill-set that none of our other D prospects have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbercules View Post
Per CBC Hotstove
I'd definitely like to see us add another goaltender behind Zatkoff (especially since he's a UFA, right?) who is more NHL-ready than Murray & Maguire.

More importantly, I hope that the Pens have some plans to bring in some forward prospects via the UFA route, because we've given up so many picks, missing out on guys like Brunner and others, and are thin on the wing organizationally. We need a plan for this going forward. Can't comment on this player specifically and how well he could project at the NHL level because I haven't seen him play, but he's definitely more of a B-level prospect. But still, we've got to acquire some young talent on the wings (which could still be possible by moving out guys like Orpik + Kennedy this summer, and possibly a Martin/Niskanen a little further down the line)

Old
04-14-2013, 03:23 AM
deakka

I read Laganiere were gonna look over the depth charts of the teams who were interested and see where he could get playing time. If hes talking about this season we are not an option. But beyond this season with all the UFAs we have combined with no forward prospects knocking on the door what so ever, i would like my chances in Pittsburgh if i were him

Old
04-14-2013, 09:00 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Would be very happy if we signed on of Laganiere or Hartzell. Think I'd prefer Laganiere though.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:20 AM
chethejet

I think Harrington is here in two years and no question the Pens will need to play the game of draft and develop on defense. To much of the cap is still targeted to the first two lines especially if Iginla stays for 5 million. Crosby, Neal, Malkin, Dupuis, Sutter and Bennett look like the guys who are her mid to long term.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:00 AM
UnrealMachine

I was at the game last night and watched Hartzell pretty closely. It's a shame to see him walk out with 3 goals against because it was a fantastic effort that is marred by two low-probability goals. I'll comment on each:

Goal 1. Hartzell could get some partial blame here because he gained possession of the puck behind the net but pushed it too far and it ultimately ended up on the tape of the Yale defender for an open shot. The initial trajectory of the puck was towards Hartzell's left pad and as he began positioning for the save (and subsequently directing the rebound toward the boards), but the puck was deflected and slipped through a very small 5-hole opening. Lundqvist gave up a very similar goal against the Pens earlier this season.

Goal 2. This one is painful to watch from a technical perspective. Hartzell did everything correct on this sequence and the puck found a very improbable route to the goal. I watched the replay several times and my best guess is that it deflected off of his stick and then somehow found the space between his leg pads, pants and blocker. You could replay this sequence 100 times and I'd be surprised if the puck went in even 1 time. Additionally, you could tell by Hartzell's reaction that he was completely at a loss for how the puck went in (also unusual to see).

Goal 3. He just got beat. I'm sure it was hard to shake to the first two goals since they each took a low probability route into the net. His stick positioning could have been better.

Anyway, what I like about him is how well he moves around the net (relative to his size). He was good at staying upright (I'm referring to the position of his back while in the butterfly) and repositioned himself quite well after the initial shot. Lastly, I saw him in the basement warming up by juggling tennis balls with his hands and also kicking them back up to him with his feet. Pretty well coordinated individual. I'd definitely be interested in seeing what he could do at the AHL level. I'd be surprised if the Pens tried to sign him since they have already passed on goalies who I think are much better than Hartzell (Houser, Makarov).

Old
04-14-2013, 11:13 AM
UnrealMachine

Ex-Pens related, but I also tried to pay attention to Agostino last night as well. He was much much more physical than I had remembered. He looked like a 4th line pest the entire game. He was almost always seeking physical play while going into the opposition along the boards. He made a nice puck-handling move and pass to spring a breakaway that resulted in the 3rd goal.

I have to say though, his skating did not look good. He has kind of a Tanner Glass stride and is much more of a one-directional skater. Additionally, he was quite far behind (in terms of speed and technical abilities) of the better skaters last night. I would question his long-term impact at the NHL-level based on that alone. From how he looked overall last night, I would picture him in a 4th line pest role (with slick hands). He will need significant improvement in his skating if he wants to be a top 9 player. Didn't remember coming away with that impression on previous viewings, but this was the first time I saw him play live and perhaps I am also rounding down since he is no longer Penguins property, shrug.

Last edited by UnrealMachine: 04-14-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old
04-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
We are right up against the contract limit with only one spot left, so the main players shero was/is (prob) trargeting are sustr, dekesyser and lagainere, this season we dont have the luxury to sign for depth.
Any college UFA signing will be for a contract that starts next season, so being at 49 contracts for this season doesn't affect that. It will affect how many players can be re-signed for next season, but it doesn't mean the Pens can only sign a single college UFA right now. If they do sign and star playing, they'd be joining the WBS Pens on an ATO, same as Ruopp is currently doing, even though he signed an ELC already.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

I wonder if the Pens have any interest in Bud Holloway.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Both him and oscar moller left north america to play in europe..doesnt seem like they will be returning though.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
If the price is right, I'd hope they would. Could be a high-reward pick-up.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
Both him and oscar moller left north america to play in europe..doesnt seem like they will be returning though.
I was under the impression that he left because he was frustrated with the Kings organization, not because he was going to be playing in the SEL permanently. I could be wrong though.

He's a little different than most of those longshot Euro league signings, because he's had success in North America already, albeit not in the NHL.

I liked what I saw of him from the couple times I saw him in play with Manchester a few years back, but I really don't have much to go on recently aside from his production.

Closed Thread