HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#41| Apr. 13, 2013| Flyers at Sabres| 3:00 p.m. ET

Old
04-13-2013, 09:34 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fish View Post
Wow this is bad hockey. I actually like Mason, I don't want to see him get shelled like 5-0 and loose his mojo for next year. I'm all for a 1-0 loss.
As I wasn't able to follow this HoF worthy game, I'm going through the posts now to get a sense of what I missed. This post needs to be (if not already) highlighted for prophetic accuracy.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:00 PM
haleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post

term it how you want, he's not over to his right far enough / back enough to cover the right post.
he did not cover the post. he could have put his right skate further back into the net, and had the toe of his pad covering the area near / touching the post

the toe of the pads come right to the toe of the skate cowling.

he played well, but blew that one.
Look at the overhead from the replay you posted yourself, he his definitely on the post... You have to take into account that even if he's on the post and that his pads side or toe of the pad, whichever you want to call it, there is still the height of the skate blade that the puck has room to go through.

If you look carefully at the slow-mo overhead shot you see Mason bang the post hard enough to see the goal move. And all this is before the puck is even in the frame yet...

Just stop looking for cracks that aren't there. It was a unlucky bounce. End of story.

haleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:00 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleks View Post
Look at the overhead from the replay you posted yourself, he his definitely on the post... You have to take into account that even if he's on the post and that his pads side or toe of the pad, whichever you want to call it, there is still the height of the skate blade that the puck has room to go through.

If you look carefully at the slow-mo overhead shot you see Mason bang the post hard enough to see the goal move. And all this is before the puck is even in the frame yet...

Just stop looking for cracks that aren't there. It was a unlucky bounce. End of story.

It was a kind of score and GWG that could only happen in NHL 13... until now.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

Well, thank God for the 50/50 Draw. That's all I can say for that game.

Disgraceful effort from all involved, I was embarrassed to be a hockey fan today.

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:09 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
So what you're saying is that the Flyers lost to Buffalo because of a glitch with Mason?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:12 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Anyhow i didn't see this alleged crime against hockey unfold. How was giroux, how was couturier, how were the brothers schenn, how was Simmonds, and was timonen epic, legendary, or mythical?

04-13-2013, 11:24 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
Well, thank God for the 50/50 Draw. That's all I can say for that game.

Disgraceful effort from all involved, I was embarrassed to be a hockey fan today.
Did you win?

That was the worst game from two teams I've witnessed at the NHL level in over 25 years.

04-13-2013, 11:25 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I deliberately set up a date with somebody at 3 not to watch another Kermit Gosnell side-show. Glad I did and enjoyed my day with a pretty Hungarian girl however seeing Bob with another unreal effort in net is really really making me feel ill anymore....like the hot and good girlfriend you had that you let slip away. I mean can the insults be more painful....Carter and Richards with a cup and Bob with vezina type goaltending not even a year after they are traded!

Please Please by some miracle hockey gods deliver us a legit goalie whether Bryz lives up to his billing , Mason experiences a Renaissance or in 5 friggin years Stolarz does what Bob is doing now!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:50 PM
haleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
It's not the first time I see a goal similar to this... with today's board, made soft and made to absorb hits, it happens a lot more often then before when the board were hard a rock and weren't budging at all.

Players knows this and are often using the backboard as a way to make a pass or putting the puck in certain areas if they have no direct lane or other better play.

Erhoff's plan was to shoot off the backboard to make it bounce in front/on the side of the goal to give Ott, who was crashing the net, a chance of getting the puck and take a shot. Nobody could have anticipate that the puck would go less than an inch off the post...

Made a quick google search and found this. Looks pretty similar.
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...ed-share-video

haleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:26 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
It's not the first time I see a goal similar to this... with today's board, made soft and made to absorb hits, it happens a lot more often then before when the board were hard a rock and weren't budging at all.

Players knows this and are often using the backboard as a way to make a pass or putting the puck in certain areas if they have no direct lane or other better play.

Erhoff's plan was to shoot off the backboard to make it bounce in front/on the side of the goal to give Ott, who was crashing the net, a chance of getting the puck and take a shot. Nobody could have anticipate that the puck would go less than an inch off the post...

Made a quick google search and found this. Looks pretty similar.
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...ed-share-video
Not Mason's fault at all. When has a puck come off the boards and hit the goalies skate 5 inches off the ice? Pure fluke.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:34 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Mason made a lot of solid saves in the net and if he plays like this the rest of the season I could see them getting rid of Bryz and that contract. You would save a lot of money and could build up the d corps for a playoff push before you have to shell out all that money to Giroux when his contract is up.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:55 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It's amazing that anybody can refuse to admit the goaltending has been a huge issue for two seasons now.
maybe we should start a goal scoring has never been an issue this season.
would be just as hilarious.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:47 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Mason made a lot of solid saves in the net and if he plays like this the rest of the season I could see them getting rid of Bryz and that contract. You would save a lot of money and could build up the d corps for a playoff push before you have to shell out all that money to Giroux when his contract is up.
Even if they buyout Briere and Bryz there is no one out there who could be signed and help this team as a first pairing D.

Mason has a long way to go until he can prove he can carry this team as a starter. Mason + Leighton-escque backup would be just as awful as Bryz + Leighton to start a season....

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
he his definitely on the post...
you can say he is "on the post"

he did not "cover that short side post" <-- that's what i'm saying.

he should have done this & the goal doesn't go in:

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:09 AM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
you can say he is "on the post"

he did not "cover that short side post" <-- that's what i'm saying.

he should have done this & the goal doesn't go in:
What you're proposing is he cheat on the high-percentage shot from the point by staying as deep in net as possibly - hindsight gone awry.

He needs to be as far out of the crease as he can [within reason] to cut off as much net as possible. That way, if there's a deflection, he's still there, albeit by virtue of positioning rather than relying on natural athleticism.

The takeaway should be our newly acquired 24-year old back-up set to make 1.5 million next season put up a .952 save percentage in his second start. And the one goal he did let in cam off the back boards. I don't get why people are arguing over such a non-factor in yesterday's loss.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:26 AM

Yep, bad GWG but the only reason it was the GWG was that he'd done so damn well up to that point. Great game by Mason and Mason alone, what an embarrassingly bad game of hockey.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:09 AM
spudnick

We lose 5-0 with Bryz in nets

spudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
What you're proposing is he cheat on the high-percentage shot from the point by staying as deep in net as possibly - hindsight gone awry.
no, thats not at all what i'm saying.

what im saying is that as soon as the puck hit the boards, and he moved to his right to protect the right post, he should have positioned his skate / pad to seal off that post.

pretty simple.

but let's all be honest here: if Bryz had let in that goal, we would have seen "softie", "backbreaking", "too slow to seal off the post" etc etc etc

again, goaltending was not why we lost vs BUF, nor the reason why we have lost all but about 4-5 games this year, including those played by 33, 35 & 49

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote