HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Manchester Monarchs Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2013, 08:44 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

vCash: 500
Monarchs win!!

Beating the Connecticut Whale 3-1! Tonight may have been the best 60 minutes of hockey the Monarchs played all season. They were very aggressive from the drop of the puck. And if it wasn't for the outstanding play of Connecticut goaltender Carmon Talbot, the game would've been a blow out! Monarchs out shot the Whale 45-20. Goals scored by Jordan Weal, Tanner Pearson, and Brandon Kozun (en). Linden Vey also had 2 assists and was the 1st star of the game.

Linden Vey continues to make a bid for the MVP award. He now has 63 points which ties him for 3rd in the league. However, he's the youngest player in the top 10 scoring leaders the AHL. All other players have had 3 or more season in the AHL. Vey is in his 2nd AHL season.

Derek Forbort made his pro debut tonight. He looked pretty good! He was aggressive in his board battles and had solid positioning all night. He also made some solid passes moving the puck out of the Monarch zone. He was robbed of his first AHL point when Talbot made an incredible save on Kozun. Forbort would have gotten the primary assist.

He played on the 3rd pairing with Vincent LoVerde (ECHL call from Ontario). Only played in even strength situations. Didn't see an PP or PK time.

He did have a couple bad luck plays as on 2 occasions he blocked shots that both nearly deflected in his own goal. He was +1 for the game and 1 shot on goal.

Monarchs at the moment are only 2 points out of playoff spot. But, are gonna need help from their arch rival the Worcester Sharks as they down by 1 to the Norfolk Admirals (the Ducks affiliate). If Norfolk wins that would put the Monarchs back 4 points out of a playoff spot.

Biggest game of the year will be tomorrow night at home verse the Hershey Bears a MUST win game for Manchester!

Edit: Norfolk won. So, the Monarchs remain 4 points out of a playoff spot. Both teams have 5 games remaining.

Last edited by CTKingsFan: 04-12-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old
04-12-2013, 09:21 PM
BigBrown
Now what will we do?

Thanks for the run-down. Didn't expect to see Forbort in the lineup, that's cool. Would be really awesome if the Monarchs could push themselves into a playoff spot.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:38 PM
McSorley 33

How did Forbort do....

Old
04-12-2013, 10:07 PM
goosh
TwoForRoughing

At this point, the Monarchs have a better chance catching up to the Whale. The Admirals are up four points on the Monarchs but they own the tiebreaker, whereas the Whale are up five points but the Monarchs have a game in hand on them (and own the tiebreaker assuming they win in regulation/ot).

There's still hope, but let's face it, it's a long shot.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:06 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Thanks CT! I was looking forward to the Forbort update.

It's also nice to hear about Vey. I still don't think he cracks our lineup next year (but hopeful that he does) but I hope to see him in some preseason games.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:15 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Your welcome. Happy to provide updates.

Here are the highlights from tonight's 3-1 victory

Old
04-13-2013, 06:52 PM
goosh
TwoForRoughing

Forbort appeared to have scored his first goal as a Monarch, but alas, that will have to wait. Andreoff tipped it in. Monarchs up 3-0 after one period.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:30 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Reign update:

I was mistaken earlier -- I thought the ECHL re-seeded the playoff matchings after the first rounds (a la the NHL) instead of strict brackets (a la the NCAA basketball tourney).

Because they don't re-seed, the Reign's Western Conference Semifinals opponent is now set -- they'll play against the Idaho Steelheads (based in Boise), dates yet to be determined. The Steelheads knocked off the Colorado Eagles (based in Loveland/Fort Collins) four games to two in a series where three games went to overtime including the series winner. The Reign haven't played since completing their sweep of the Utah Grizzlies one week ago today.

Old
04-13-2013, 08:57 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Monarchs win and keep their slim playoff hopes alive.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:14 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Monarchs win and keep their slim playoff hopes alive.
Yup - at this moment their tragic number is five points, and their magic number is 11 points -- that is, they need to win out (8 points) and have one of the Whale or NorAds go no better than 1-1-1 (Connecticut) or 1-2-1 (Norfolk) in order to sneak in.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:05 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

highlights of the 4-3 win over the Hershey Bears! Didn't get to see the game tonight. But, it looked like Andreoff had a huge night! 2 goals for him. The other 2 were scored by ECHL calls up Huxley and Bishop.

Big win!! Playoff hopes still alive!

Old
04-14-2013, 02:35 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Yup - at this moment their tragic number is five points, and their magic number is 11 points -- that is, they need to win out (8 points) and have one of the Whale or NorAds go no better than 1-1-1 (Connecticut) or 1-2-1 (Norfolk) in order to sneak in.
Manchester and Hershey are 4 points back of CT and Norfolk. Both Manchester and Hershey have a game in hand on CT.

Monarchs last 4

Sunday April 14 HOME Worcester
Friday April 19th @Binghamton
Saturday April 20th @W-B Scranton
Sunday April 21st @Hershey

CT last 3
Sunday April 14 @ Springfield
Friday April 19th@Albany
Saturday April 20th @ Portland

Hershey last 4
Sunday April 14 @Portland
Friday April 19 @Adirondack
Saturday April 20th @Binghamton
Sunday April 21st HOME Manchester

Norfolk last 4
Sunday April 14 @Providence
Friday April 19th @Syracuse
Saturday April 20th @Albany
Sunday April 21st Providence

Looking like it could very well go down to the last day.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:39 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I dont know where else to put this and don't kill the messenger because I can't see how it will happen but there is a couple of people saying that we have been talking to Bud Holloway about a contract.

Doesn't mean anything will happen but I do believe the two sides have at least spoken. I thought DL had just written him off but it looks like we still have some sort of interest.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I dont know where else to put this and don't kill the messenger because I can't see how it will happen but there is a couple of people saying that we have been talking to Bud Holloway about a contract.

Doesn't mean anything will happen but I do believe the two sides have at least spoken. I thought DL had just written him off but it looks like we still have some sort of interest.
As pissed as DL was about the situation, it wouldn't be good business management to hold a grudge over it. I'm sure Holloway's departure turned off a number within the organization and some of the fanbase, but I would imagine people would welcome him back if he came to terms with the team.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:30 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:

That's great to hear if true. You may want to post it on "Around the League" thread as well.

Old
04-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Brad Doty
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
As pissed as DL was about the situation, it wouldn't be good business management to hold a grudge over it. I'm sure Holloway's departure turned off a number within the organization and some of the fanbase, but I would imagine people would welcome him back if he came to terms with the team.
**** yes.

Please get this kid back.

Old
04-14-2013, 03:47 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:

I'd love this. I'd imagine that if something was going to happen it wouldn't happen until after the SEL finals (Holloway scored the OT winner in game one yesterday)

Last edited by ScoreZeGoals: 04-14-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old
04-14-2013, 04:29 PM
goosh
TwoForRoughing

The Monarchs cease to give up!

They take the win today against the Worcester Sharks (Sharks' AHL affiliate) 3-0 and complete the weekend sweep. Jones recorded his fifth shutout of the season today and was outstanding.

edit: Something else that's crazy: Martin Jones has played in 27 out of the last 28 games. Holy mackerel.

second edit: The Springfield Falcons defeat the Connecticut Whale 4-3, scoring a goal with 29 seconds to go in the game. The Monarchs are now only two points behind the Whale with a game in hand!

Last edited by goosh: 04-14-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old
04-14-2013, 04:44 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Awesome win tonight!! Hell yeah!!

Monarchs just two points out of the 8th and 7th spots!!! And as Two for roughing said. They have game in hand on Connecticut

Monarchs scored all their goals in the 3rd. Kozun started it off when Jordan Weal made a great effort to keep the play alive.Then Linden freakin Vey scores a short handed goal with 2 minutes left. Great pass from Pearson on that goal. And Cliche capped it off with empty netter!

Last edited by CTKingsFan: 04-14-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old
04-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Return of the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKingsFan View Post

Monarchs just two points out of the 8th and 7th spots!!! And as Two for roughing said. They have game in hand on Connecticut

Monarchs scored all their goals in the 3rd. Kozun started it off when Jordan Weal made a great effort to keep the play alive.Then Linden freakin Vey scores a short handed goal with 2 minutes left. Great pass from Pearson on that goal. And Cliche capped it off with empty netter!
Wow! Vey has been on an unbelievable tear of late. And without Toffoli to boot.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Highlights from today's 3-0 win against the Worcester Sharks.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:59 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKingsFan View Post

By my calculations, they all of a sudden hold their playoff fate in their own hands for the first time in a while -- they max out at 83 points, as do Connecticut and Hershey, but if the Monarchs win out in regulation or overtime, they'll keep the ROW tiebreaker over both of them and sneak into the 8th spot and the first-round matchup with Providence (likely)...

I just realized their last game of the season is head-to-head against Hershey -- might genuinely end up as a one-game play-in game for the playoffs....

Old
04-14-2013, 08:24 PM
goosh
TwoForRoughing

The Monarchs' three remaining games are all on the road. They'll play Binghamton (who is shorthanded with Lehner on the big club), Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (Pens' affiliate), and Hershey on the last day of the season. And as Hans said, the game against Hershey will likely decide their fate.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:29 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
good all around effort today by everyone. Jones was good but the team did a good job at really limiting any high quality chances. When Jones needed to make a save he obviously made it. Today really felt like a playoff game. tight checking, not much offensive flow for the first 40 minutes.
Bishop and Joslin really were going at it from the 2nd period on. At the end of the 2nd they almost fought and both got unsportsman like penalties. 5 seconds after the penalties expired they fought. Bishop really didn't appear ready and lost the fight badly.
Campbell got called for diving later in the 3rd on a horrendous call. Probably one of the worst I have seen in awhile.
hopefully we can have some playoff hockey.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:56 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Looking at some things about the upcoming Reign 2nd-round series, I found some somewhat brow-furrowing news -- in the season series, the Steelheads were 5-3-1 over the Reign. Not full-on dominance, but I would have liked to have seen a better historical performance before going into a 2 vs 3 matchup as the #2.

Closed Thread