HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Smyth: The most useless player on the team

Old
04-13-2013, 09:40 PM
Spiff The Spaceman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
This is true, I can't believe how many fans wanted Smyth resigned just because he got carried for about 30 games by RNH. If this were any other team, Smyth doesn't get anywhere near 2 million per season for 2 years. Also, fans are partially to blame for the Oilers ending up with Ryan Smyth in the first place. Management wasn't too keen on trading for him, but ended up doing so anyway to appease fans.
not me

Spiff The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:22 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
So yeah, how about that Smyth?

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:26 PM
Tommy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
So yeah, how about that Smyth?
Why is he even in the lineup

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Game 8

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy35 View Post
Why is he even in the lineup
Because we have nothing better to offer!

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:46 PM
PETRYDISH

If he's in the lineup next year it's going to be pretty obvious that we stil don't have the depth to win. I'm quite certain he will not be in the lineup though, Tambos not that bad..... Right?

PETRYDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:18 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 3234
Tissue paper comes out to challenge one of Smyth's shots.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:18 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
If he's in the lineup next year it's going to be pretty obvious that we stil don't have the depth to win. I'm quite certain he will not be in the lineup though, Tambos not that bad..... Right?

But I wuv Edmintin

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:04 AM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game 8 View Post
Not sure if that is sarcasm. We have lots better than him.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:05 AM
Dave
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Smyth's assist on the third goal by the flames was a beauty!!!

Last edited by Dave: 04-14-2013 at 02:14 AM.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:52 AM
Baggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game 8 View Post
I'd rather have Lander or Hartikainen taking his spot atm.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:03 AM
ales83fan

he killed it on that 3-1 goal.

#classicsmyth

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:22 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers View Post
I'd rather have Lander or Hartikainen taking his spot atm.
Harti was so much better than Smyth when he was up this season it wasn't even close. I get that Smyth penalty kills, but FFS it wasn't even close between the two. Lander too, I know he got injured and that spelled the end for his chance this year, but he should NOT be in the press box right now.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 02:14 AM
KlimasLoveChild

My reaction when I heard MacT say Smutty would be back for another year

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:14 AM
russ99

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
My reaction when I heard MacT say Smutty would be back for another year
Well, it's sunk cost, so 8-10 minutes a night on the 4th line won't kill us, but Smytty has to show up in much better shape. He's worn down at the halfway point of the season both last year and this year, which is pretty bad since we played only half a season this year.

I have a bigger objection with keeping Smyth, Horcoff and Hemsky all in the team next year. They were a great first line and all of them are great Oilers, but that time is passed. At least two of them need to go and MacT has obviously picked Smytty.

russ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Honestly this is ridiculous. Looks like MacTavish is already making old-boys club type decisions. Absolutely no accountability on this team. Smyth is delusional and thinks he can still be an offensive force, casual fans are delusional and thinks he can still be an NHL level player, management is delusional and thinks we can be a playoff team with Smyth killing the play for 15 minutes a night. This is one of those cases where chanting "retire already Smyth" at games would be appropriate.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Honestly this is ridiculous. Looks like MacTavish is already making old-boys club type decisions. Absolutely no accountability on this team. Smyth is delusional and thinks he can still be an offensive force, casual fans are delusional and thinks he can still be an NHL level player, management is delusional and thinks we can be a playoff team with Smyth killing the play for 15 minutes a night. This is one of those cases where chanting "retire already Smyth" at games would be appropriate.
did any of you bother to listen to what Mac-T said AFTER he said Smyth would be back?

He was going to talk to Smyth about his role, because "When you get older as a player it's really easy to see what's wrong witht the team, but you can't see what's wrong in your game, you need someone to show you your limitations"

Or something to that extent.

I don't know what role Smyth will return in, but I know it won't be the same level as this past year, because Smyth doesn't have that left, and Mac-T is Smart enough to recongnize that.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
And you might be delusional for thinking a couple of fans know better than a group of professionals that are paid to make appropriate decisions. If they keep Smyth it will be in a limited, mentoring role on the 4th line. I don't think anyone can argue his work ethic and try..It's his age, foot speed, etc, that has almost disappeared.
I was in favour of letting him go but if that's the decision MacT makes, I'm going to assume it's the correct one.

Keeping him around is probably the least of our problems and it's pretty silly to even have a thread about it..

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:30 AM
mactforcoach

I was hoping Smitty would retire this spring (still am) but it looks like he wants to play one more year and MacT says he'll give him that year. So I try to look at the positives.

When Smyth was playing on the 4th line with Brown & whoever he was actually pretty effective. During the last few games the 4th line was giving the opposition fits and managed to keep the puck in the offensive zone most of their shift. They created energy and weren't a liability out there.

If they keep his minutes under about 10-12 per night he'll probably have more gas in the tank. He's a strong leader and voice in the dressing room and a good example of a warrior for the young guys. For those who think Harti is better, I watched him at every home game and he's not. He doesn't seem capable of thinking the game at this speed and level. He tends to run around and almost appears to panic. Maybe he comes along with time but right now he's not ready.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:33 AM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
I have a bigger objection with keeping Smyth, Horcoff and Hemsky all in the team next year. They were a great first line and all of them are great Oilers, but that time is passed. At least two of them need to go and MacT has obviously picked Smytty.
Keeping Smyth while getting rid of Horcoff would be worth it. Ideally they would both be gone. My fear is that nothing changes and they both stick around because they are "great dressing room guys".

Yup, missing the playoffs for seven straight years makes for a great dressing room.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Mr Sakich

40 games of Smyth in a "12 minute 4th line role / bottom 6 injury fill in" is not a bad thing for this club.

Horcoff as our 3rd line centre is not a bad thing for this club. We don't need the cap space right now. If we need it next summer, he can be traded because his actual salary is so low.

MPS - Horc - grinder
Hart - Lander - grinder

that is not a terrible bottom 6. We need two guys like Torres and we will be ok.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
40 games of Smyth in a "12 minute 4th line role / bottom 6 injury fill in" is not a bad thing for this club.

Horcoff as our 3rd line centre is not a bad thing for this club. We don't need the cap space right now. If we need it next summer, he can be traded because his actual salary is so low.

MPS - Horc - grinder
Hart - Lander - grinder

that is not a terrible bottom 6. We need two guys like Torres and we will be ok.
At 12 minutes a night, No, at 8-10 minutes and part time in the lineup, Yes.

Old
05-03-2013, 11:02 AM
McArthur

He was alright at center. If he doesn't need to be the guy grinding out the tempo of a one goal game, he could be very useful. He still sees the ice good, decent pass, probably still likes the front of the net...

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
He was alright at center. If he doesn't need to be the guy grinding out the tempo of a one goal game, he could be very useful. He still sees the ice good, decent pass, probably still likes the front of the net...
You didn't see alot of Smyth this year I take it. Because I don't remember that.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:32 PM
KlimasLoveChild

I think I found the perfect role for Ryan Smyth next year. I was reading another thread and someone was going off about Kelly Buchberger not doing much as a coach and I don't think Smyth has a place on the team. Lets kill two birds with one stone and let Smyth fill Buchbergers old role on the team with none other then Buchy himself to show the way. This could be awfully entertaining:

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Thanks for contributing nothing to the boards but your angst. Yet another "Player X sucks" post.

Perhaps it would be more useful to point out why you think smyth is no longer an NHL player.

This season, he scored 13 pts in 47 games, with a -5. He played on the PK and also had to play out of position at centre for a stretch of games. Is that his fault? No, he's not a centre but he played it anyways because the Oiler management was too idiotic to find a replacement.

By Comparison, Teemu Hartikainen played in 23 games, scored 3 pts and was a -8. Who's the more useless player?

Ben Eager scored 2 pts in 14 games and was a -14.
Young centre Anton Lander scored 1 pt in 11 games and was -4.

I'm not saying that Smyth was all that good, but he was clearly better than any of these other options.

Master Lok is online now   Reply With Quote