HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread (Part 2) #8, 16, 38, 55, 69, (94), 129, 130, (155), 159, 189

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Even if the Wild make the playoffs, the Canucks have a six point lead on them for the Northwest Division title, which would probably keep the Wild pick in the late teens barring a playoff run longer than two rounds.
Anything lower than 20 and I'm dancing.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Technically speaking,

Erne = Bernier - bir
Ha!

Old
04-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
I'd specifically choose Monahan or Lindholm. Monahan because he is already accustomed to the NA game and he has all the tools to be a 2C at worst. Lindholm has adjusted to playing against men really well in the SEL.

Russians scare me, let someone else take the risky pick. If he slips to our Minnesota pick, then go for it. But not at 5, too much risk.
LOUSY RUSSIANS

I kid of course, that era was completely different (players were dying to leave Russia/Soviet Union to play in the NHL, now the situation is at least slightly reversed in some cases). I'm more worried about his game than him staying in Russia, personally. From what I've seen he's really a one-man show compared to the other top offensive prospects. However, the payoff if he pans out would be huge. I can easily see taking Monahan or Lindholm over him, but beyond that group of guys it gets pretty hard to pass up a real home run opportunity.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:04 PM

Watching this London vs Kitchener game, Domi and Horvat are both going to be very good players in this league and would be guys I would be interested in with a top 15 pick. Size doesn't seem like it will be any issue with Domi.

Zadarov is big and physical, more of a 20-30 guy for me

Old
04-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
More than meets the eye from Team USA:
Quote:
Michael McCarron (W, 2013), USA

Arguably the most improved player at the program since the beginning of the season .. McCarron’s foot speed and skating mechanics have shown some polish, however, upgrades to his fluidity and agility are a must moving forward .. glide helps him gain the zone and stay involved in plays due to his somewhat wonky turning .. makes good use of his size by attacking the net and staying in the slot .. unmoveable in front once he plants his feet .. his shot release has gotten quicker as he has been able to settle down pucks with more regularity .. goes to the net looking for more garbage goals off rebounds .. shown more creativity with the puck and is capable of generating plays not just on the cycle but in open-ice .. playing harder in all three zones and finishes his hits with regularity .. most physically-developed and imposing on the team, standing at 6’5 .. also racked up the most PIM on the team .. has time to develop and grow into his expansive frame .. has a lot to gain from a good showing at the U18 World Championships as he will be under the microscope to see how he performs against other country’s elite players .. his style compares favourably to Mike Rupp.
Quote:
John Hayden (W, 2013), USA

Perennial hard worker continues to flourish in a multitude of roles on the team, including providing timely scoring (4 GWG) while also adding a layer of physical play that keeps the opposition honest .. not opposed to engaging in a fight and actively seeks it out on the ice .. always comes to the aid of his players and is involved in scrums .. hand skills and creativity surprise; at times, he can make skilled plays that often catch his line-mates by surprise .. not a stranger to traffic areas .. willingly takes a hit as he bangs and crashes at rebounds in front with little fear of the punishment he will receive .. choppy skater .. has a powerful thrust to his game but his lateral quickness and overall agility is quite sloppy and needs refinement .. plays a hard-nose, character game and is highly-adaptable to most game situations .. may struggle on the big ice at the U18 World Championships, however, his determination will always keep him involved in the play.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
More than meets the eye from Team USA:
Quote:
Keaton Thompson (D, 2013), USA

Has shown limited improvement since the onset of the season .. looks very attractive on the ice thanks in part to a smooth and silky skating style .. tends to play the game at a single pace and hasn’t learned to push the envelope this year, both from a physical and offensive perspective .. easy to play against defensively in large part due to his unwillingness to take a hit .. maintains a good gap and uses his stick well but is often the second man in and hopes to create the illusion that he wants the puck .. will step into a guy on occasion but isn’t naturally aggressive .. needs to follow through on plays as he can get caught up ice and his rushes usually fizzle before an offensive opportunity is created .. offensive totals this season have been less than impressive .. hasn’t elevated his play in several key tournaments .. needs to rebound at the U18 World Championships to salvage his draft stock as a top ’90-born prospect.
Quote:
Tommy Vannelli (D, 2013), USA

Joined the program after his Minnesota High School season concluded in Minnetonka .. has been a pleasant shot in the arm for Team USA, giving the back-end depth .. plays a diligent and responsible two-way game .. is more conservative in terms of his offensive rushes at the USHL level, but plays with a quiet confidence and is able to execute plays .. sly in the offensive zone .. he can side-step players to gain more positional advantage inside the zone .. skating has a deceptive quality to it as he generates good speed but is not a burner .. his lateral movement and pivots need some work as he can get turned around at times when defending out wide .. his firm positioning and game-reading ability always allow him to slow down a player .. would benefit from playing with more sandpaper .. has yet to adopt a physical approach and tends to lean on players .. should thrive with Team USA at the U18 World Championships due to his smarts and ability to make plays in all three zones.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:23 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
I'd specifically choose Monahan or Lindholm. Monahan because he is already accustomed to the NA game and he has all the tools to be a 2C at worst. Lindholm has adjusted to playing against men really well in the SEL.

Russians scare me, let someone else take the risky pick. If he slips to our Minnesota pick, then go for it. But not at 5, too much risk.
There's not really a reason to be scared of Russian players as a whole.
If there's a great player but they're a transfer risk, it's a good gamble.
The problem with this kid is twofold though, since he's a transfer risk and I don't think he projects well on North American ice.

You won't have a chance to get him under contract for at least two years, if ever, and you're not going to get any type of compensatory pick.
While KHL contracts actually have published expiry dates now, there are still archaic Soviet era laws that can cause issues, like the fact that clubs can extend the contract of a restricted free agent without their permission until they reach unrestricted age.

For me, he has never displayed anything resembling passable hockey sense or vision.
His style is not really even a style as it's a single move.
As I've seen a scout put it, "he has one move but it always works".
That's great, but what happens when the space he uses to pull that move off (the perimeter) doesn't exist?
What happens when the defense is better, whether it's defenseman who are used to larger forwards like him or coaches planning team defensive schemes around this one trick pony?
He doesn't even show natural finishing instincts, he just takes it to the net and takes a weak shot.
They've been finding their way in lately (he was shooting about 30% when he was on his "zomgz most elite prospect ever" run early on in the KHL playoffs but has cooled down lately due to it regressing to 18%, still far above average), but it's of course a question mark going forward as the quality of NHL goalies is higher and the style of game is completely different.

The common comparable being thrown around is Rick Nash, which is a best case scenario.
Ask Rangers fans how they feel about Nash's inability to play a team game at times and how frustrating it is though.
This kid has the same problem, but to a much larger extent.
Additionally, he seems to become frustrated when confronted physically, something that isn't an issue with Nash.
I don't like the real Rick Nash, so I sure as hell don't want a poor man's Nash.

I'm sure I'll have to hear about how great he is in the KHL when he inevitably produces and how I'm stupid for not liking him, so I'll put out a disclaimer now.
He has all the tools to be a great European player, the type that has never been seen before (like how Lindros was unique).
His combination of size and skating ability allows him to neutralize trap schemes commonly employed in the KHL and in other European leagues, as he can easily go by players or simply go through them.
Driving to the net like he does is not as prevalent, so he'll be able to get away with lacking finishing ability.
North America is a different story though.

Old
04-12-2013, 08:38 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Thanks for the analysis on those USNDTP guys, Woodhouse. We seem to shy away from those guys, I hope we take one.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:32 PM

Pick #8 Possibilities

Lindholm
Nichushkin
Ristolainen
Monahan
Nurse
Shinkaruk
Pulock

Pick #17 Possibilities

Domi
Lazar
Pulock
Gauthier
Mantha
Horvat
Fucale
Zadarov

I wouldn't be too upset with a combo of those players, A #8 Monahan or Lindholm should be available as long as 1) Nurse is picked before #9 2) Nichushkin is picked before #9. I would believe that Philly and Tampa interested in one of the high profile Dman Nurse and Ristolainen assuming they finish outside of the top 4 (which is all but set in stone imo). Assuming the Calgary Flames miss out of the big 4 they are the type of team that could go for a home run like Nichushkin, nothing surprises me with them..

If we want one of the top forwards to fall we should hope that Colorado, Philly, and Tampa end up outside of the top 4 picks, I would think one or 2 of them take Nurse and Ristolainen.

Elias Lindholm seems like a Predators type of pick, especially after acquiring Forsberg.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:12 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
Crosspostin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
Players taken 8-12 since 2003

Coburn
Phaneuf
A Kostitsyn
Carter
Jessiman

Picard
Smid
Valabik
Tukonen
Thelen

Setoguchi
Lee
Bourdon
Kopitar
M Staal

Mueller
Sheppard
Frolik
J Bernier
Little

Hamill
Couture
Ellerby
Br Sutter
McDonagh

Boedker
Bailey
Hodgson
Beach
Myers

Glennie
Cowen
MPS
R Ellis
de Haan

Burmistrov
Granlund
McIlrath
J Campbell
Fowler

Couturier
Hamilton
Brodin
Siemens
Murphy

D Pouliot
Trouba
Koekkoek
Forsberg
Grigorenko

Well, there it is. Nowhere near the peak or hit rate of the top 3, of course, but by my count upwards of 50% major contributors. 5 All-Stars over 10 years, though a few whose play would place them in a similar echelon.

Expect somebody between Jessiman and Kopitar

Old
04-13-2013, 11:20 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
I love how nearly every review of a prospect in every sport has almost nothing negative to say. As if every pick will turn out.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:26 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
I love how nearly every review of a prospect in every sport has almost nothing negative to say. As if every pick will turn out.
You don't read many prospect reports?

Old
04-14-2013, 01:15 AM
Layne Staley
The Future

It's not so crazy anymore that Minnesota possibly misses the playoffs.Even still, if the pick is in the mid teens I'd be happy.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:48 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

We're not getting Mackinnon or Drouin or Jones, so I want Lindholm, the dude is a lock as a #1 center, he is exactly the type of player we need, I would be STOKED if we landed him.

If we can't land him I wouldn't mind Nurse.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:22 PM
SatanwasaSlovak

Barkov i heard is injured and could slip outside of top-5, if were are lucky and are picking that low.

Would you take him?

Old
04-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatanwasaSlovak View Post
Barkov i heard is injured and could slip outside of top-5, if were are lucky and are picking that low.

Would you take him?
If he somehow fell that low? In a heart beat. That would be a steal. Most boards have him going at four.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
We're not getting Mackinnon or Drouin or Jones, so I want Lindholm, the dude is a lock as a #1 center, he is exactly the type of player we need, I would be STOKED if we landed him.

Lock to be a #1? He could very well be the next Peverley

Old
04-14-2013, 01:38 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:

Would you take him?
Laughing all the way to the bank I would.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
We're not getting Mackinnon or Drouin or Jones, so I want Grigorenko, the dude is a lock as a #1 center, he is exactly the type of player we need, I would be STOKED if we landed him.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:

Would you take him?
Listening to scouts sounds like he could go top 3, its incredibly unlikely he doesn't go top 4

Old
04-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
I suppose anything is possible, but I very much doubt he's the next Rich Peverley. Lindholm outproduced Nick Backstrom in their respective draft years in the SEL. He's likely going to be an excellent player. I'd love him at 8-9.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:32 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Detroit win helps the chances of Minnesota falling out of the playoffs. Go Calgary tomorrow

Old
04-14-2013, 11:08 PM
McTank

It think nurse is the way to go with our pick. Take a winger with the Minny 1st. Take subban with our 2nd. Take another winger with the STL 2nd

Old
04-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Grahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
There's not really a reason to be scared of Russian players as a whole.
If there's a great player but they're a transfer risk, it's a good gamble.
The problem with this kid is twofold though, since he's a transfer risk and I don't think he projects well on North American ice.
I hope Nichushkin gets picked before us, I don't really want to see buffalo pick him. Not because he won't pan out. I think he will be a very good player, but I don't think he fits that well into buffalo right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Lindholms vision, hands and mean-streak make him a very safe bet.
His patience and puck protection abilities really do look like Forsbergs.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:34 PM
McTank

Just looked at the standing and got happy, I then looked at minnesotas schedule and got sad. Stupidly easy finish for them

Closed Thread