HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Refs tying up stars: Hossa

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2003, 07:36 AM
SensGod

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Refs tying up stars: Hossa

From this article...

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Ottawa...28/298396.html

Best quote of the article:

Quote:
It's just part of the job description and it's a ridiculous state of affairs. Can you imagine shelling out $100 to go and hear the National Arts Centre Orchestra perform, only to find the lead violinist can't hit all the right notes because the drummer is grabbing his arm?

Forget cutting down on obstruction and interference.

How about just calling the penalties being committed on the puck carrier?

If you look at it that way...it makes total sense that the stars are really starting to complain now.

Old
12-28-2003, 07:46 AM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Old
12-28-2003, 07:55 AM
iagreewithidiots

The refereeing has been a joke longer then Hossas been in the league.

Old
12-28-2003, 07:58 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
There was a topic(or two) about the refs earlier and one member who is a minor league, or maybe junior level, referee. He defended the fact that the refs can't see everything and judge what calls to make based on the flow of the game. Both of which ARE valid points. One remark was based on league mandated calls. My question is why isn't the league mandating the interference, clutching, and grabbing?

It's OBVIOUS for the most part, and a decline in that type of play WILL allow the stars to show why they are stars. In turn, it is my belief, there will be more excitement and therefore more interest. The league is in need of fans and Bettman can't seem to figure out what is necessary. This, to me, would be an obvious first step.

My theory is Bettman believes allowing less skilled teams to compete creates parity and he thinks parity is good. If all teams had the same skill level it would be, but this is manufactured and even a novice fan can see through this thus becoming disinterested in the joke that is the "competition" in the NHL.

Watching the Flyers/Avalanche game last night made this very apparent. Both teams possess skilled players but they were grabbed and held with or without the puck by less skilled players, and at times by skilled players because it is allowed. There were 10 penalties called, and for the most part they were weak or marginal at best. I don't know if they were the "league mandated" variety, but the game lacked offensive flair because of what was NOT called.

That's just my opinion though.

Old
12-28-2003, 08:08 AM
King of Kelvington

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod

If you look at it that way...it makes total sense that the stars are really starting to complain now.
Comparing hockey to an Orchestra makes any sense at all???

Old
12-28-2003, 08:10 AM
King of Kelvington

Quote:
It's just part of the job description and it's a ridiculous state of affairs. Can you imagine shelling out $100 to go and hear the National Arts Centre Orchestra perform, only to find the lead violinist can't hit all the right notes because the drummer is grabbing his arm?

..yah and the bassist gets an instigator for bodychecking the chick on flute...someone should take this guys journal card away...or sign him up for JUTM (Journalists for the Unethical Treatment of Millionaires).

Last edited by King of Kelvington: 12-28-2003 at 08:13 AM.
Old
12-28-2003, 08:42 AM
iagreewithidiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKordicsFist
He defended the fact that the refs can't see everything and judge what calls to make based on the flow of the game. Both of which ARE valid points.
I think both are cop outs.

When I watch hockey on TV the camera is almost always fixed on the puck carrier. When I watch a game in person more often then not Im following the puck. So most of the penalties I see that go uncalled are around the puck.

So what am I getting at? With 2 refs why do they miss so many calls around the puck and on the puck carrier?

Ive heard the argument of not calling penalties to allow the game to flow. I dont blame the refs. Its just a bad theory.

If penalties were called all the time the flow of play would take care of itself because players wouldnt commit the penalties.

When you allow players to take liberties it doesnt help the flow of play. Everytime a game gets close to the end and the score is close or the game goes to overtime everyone knows the whisltes are put away. It just ends up being a hack fest thats almost unwatchable.

Old
12-28-2003, 08:43 AM
The Pucks

I have been harping on this for years. The NHL doesn't have to change any rules to make the game better, they just have to call the rules as they are written.

The flow of the game, whatever, hooking is hooking, holding is holding.

CALL THE DAMN PENALTIES!!!!

Old
12-28-2003, 08:48 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks
I have been harping on this for years. The NHL doesn't have to change any rules to make the game better, they just have to call the rules as they are written.

The flow of the game, whatever, hooking is hooking, holding is holding.

CALL THE DAMN PENALTIES!!!!

I'm not a ref basher at all, but I agree with you. And it is my personal opinion that the league needs/must do something to protect the goaltender.

Old
12-28-2003, 08:49 AM
iagreewithidiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks
I hear ya.

I dont understand how the rules have to be bent to allow the game to flow better. Shouldnt the rules be written in a way to allow the game to flow properly?

Old
12-28-2003, 09:09 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iagreewithidiots
I think both are cop outs.

When I watch hockey on TV the camera is almost always fixed on the puck carrier. When I watch a game in person more often then not Im following the puck. So most of the penalties I see that go uncalled are around the puck.
I agree with you. They are cop outs when the refs decide not to show up. In the game last night the refs DICTATED the flow of the game.

If what happened wasn't bad enough to interfere with was going on then I understand not calling it, like when it's away from the play and wasn't brutal enough to either player to warrant it.

It is what is happening to the puck carrier that is not being called. Once again, last night, each team got an interference call when it had nothing to do with the puck carrier and didn't in any way interfe with the offense in general.

As for protecting the goaltender, what exactly is NOT being done to HELP the goaltenders? How many times is a player called for interference because the goaltender wandered out of the crease and intentionally or unintentionally ran into a player? Should they make the crease bigger? I don't have a problem with that if the goaltender is called for interference when he is outside of it.

Old
12-28-2003, 09:15 AM
modulator

vCash:
They should go back to the way it was in October last season...

Old
12-28-2003, 09:15 AM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCJr
Comparing hockey to an Orchestra makes any sense at all???
I don't think you understand metaphors.

Old
12-28-2003, 09:43 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Old
12-28-2003, 11:19 AM
King of Kelvington

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
I don't think you understand metaphors.
Think twice before making that statement...

Old
12-29-2003, 07:09 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

You want to talk about refs screwing up high talent games... McGoop and Shick almost single-handedly ruined the Colorado - St. Louis game the other day. Some of the worst calls (and non-calls) for both teams I've seen this year. That's to mention nothing of the announcers (which I started a thread about to demonstrate sympathy for Blues fans).

Old
12-29-2003, 09:25 AM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy
You want to talk about refs screwing up high talent games... McGoop and Shick almost single-handedly ruined the Colorado - St. Louis game the other day. Some of the worst calls (and non-calls) for both teams I've seen this year. That's to mention nothing of the announcers (which I started a thread about to demonstrate sympathy for Blues fans).

It's funny, because those were the same refs in the Philly Avs game.

Old
12-29-2003, 12:41 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

The Sens get away with whatever they can get away with, just like the rest of the teams do.

Old
12-29-2003, 01:05 PM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
The Sens get away with whatever they can get away with, just like the rest of the teams do.
agreed, but this quote was taken after a game against pitts,when I saw, and everybody else saw how brutal the refs were. Everytime the sens hadthe puck, someone was holding on for dear life. So yes, the Sens do clutch, but I believe the complaint wasmore directed at this instance inparticular.

Closed Thread