HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings XIV - UFA talk now

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2013, 09:13 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings XIV - UFA talk now

So goalies are availables?

04-13-2013, 09:30 AM
calcal798

We should get Bryz as a backup after he gets bought out.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:35 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Isn't Smith available? Maybe the Coyotes will outbid everyone ... with their welfare cheques?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
04-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Isn't Smith available? Maybe the Coyotes will outbid everyone ... with their welfare cheques?
I don't see it that franchise is in a pretty bad state from the looks of it. I think the other teams will outbid them.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
We should get Bryz as a backup after he gets bought out.

Get him for 24/7 next season

Old
04-13-2013, 10:35 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Don't want Mike Smith. He's not THAT good. Reimer has been good as well.

04-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
This.

I want no part of Smith.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Not to mention he's under a Tippett, system which glories goalies for what they aren't really lol.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:55 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Not to mention he's under a Tippett, system which glories goalies for what they aren't really lol.
Leafs would not be hurt to have a Smith on the team.

It isn't like they are going to drop Reimer.

Reimer is now playing under a Carlyle system.

Old
04-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Leafs would not be hurt to have a Smith on the team.

It isn't like they are going to drop Reimer.

Reimer is now playing under a Carlyle system.
Smith has always been a skilled player but Tippett's game has magnified his good but not his flaws.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:50 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

vCash: 50
Goaltending is fine, if Reimer becomes more consistent and get's some experience we're fine.

I think we need to round out some other issues. I think adding Chipchura rounds out our bottom six.

Kulemin - McClement - Komarov
McLaren - Chipchura - Orr
[With 1 of Orr/McLaren sitting some nights out in favour of Hamilton]

Our top six has a basi backbone of....

JvR - xxxxxx - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - xxxxx

Need to find the missing piece's in there, it could be Frattin, could be Bozak, could be MacArthur, just need to find something affordable.

xxxxx - Phaneuf
O'Byrne - Gardiner
Franson - Fraser

I really hope we resign O'Byrne, I think he's an affordable 4th D-man option. The issue is finding a good partner for Phaneuf, I thought Suter was PERFECT but that ship I guess sailed.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:33 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Draft day:

Offer EDM:
7th 2013 just to talk to Gagne,
2nd 2013 + 2nd 2014 + Grabo(TML pay 2m salary) if we sign him to a 4yr or more deal,
2nd 2013 + Grabo(TML pay 2m salary) if we sign him to a 3yr deal or less.

Give him the 6M he will command but doesn't fit with EDM's internal player cap. eg Eberle & Hall.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Draft day:

Offer EDM:
2nd 2013 + 2nd 2014 + Grabo(TML pay 2m salary) if we sign him to a 4yr or more deal,

Give him the 6M he will command but doesn't fit with EDM's internal player cap. eg Eberle & Hall.
I'm confused lol.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Draft day:

Offer EDM:

Gagner certainly has broken out this year hasn't he. He's been awesome. Personally I think I would rather go with Bozak instead of doing this for Gagner. I think Gagner is better, but it's one of those situations I'd rather go with the guy I know. Also Bozak will be cheaper. That trade and signing basically makes Gagner an 8m player to us when you factor in the cap retaining we are doing from this deal and I don't think he is worth that.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:03 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Gagner certainly has broken out this year hasn't he. He's been awesome. Personally I think I would rather go with Bozak instead of doing this for Gagner. I think Gagner is better, but it's one of those situations I'd rather go with the guy I know. Also Bozak will be cheaper. That trade and signing basically makes Gagner an 8m player to us when you factor in the cap retaining we are doing from this deal and I don't think he is worth that.
Bozak will be wanting 5M or more. Way too much imo. He will be using Grabo as a measuring stick, so going by what Grabo had done to get his 5.5 Bozak should easily get 5M.

I'd rather pay Gagne 6M.

Grabo needs to be bought out if not traded. Unless he is our #2 center he is not worth his 5.5M.
Kadri is one of our top 2, and if we are bringing in another center then Grabo is irrelevant.

Granted buying him out gets him off the cap where salary retention does not.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:11 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Bozak will be wanting 5M or more. Way too much imo. He will be using Grabo as a measuring stick, so going by what Grabo had done to get his 5.5 Bozak should easily get 5M.

I'd rather pay Gagne 6M.

Grabo needs to be bought out if not traded. Unless he is our #2 center he is not worth his 5.5M.
Kadri is one of our top 2, and if we are bringing in another center then Grabo is irrelevant.

Granted buying him out gets him off the cap where salary retention does not.
It's Gagner, not Gagne

Bozak could us Grabo as a measuring stick, but I don't think it will get him far.

Grabo prior to his extension had 48 points, 35 points (in 59 games), 58 points and 51 (signed before this season ended) points scoring 20+ goals 3 different times. Bozak just hasn't compared offensively. Bozak I think is a valuable player to have and want to resign him but if he gets north of 5m it will be ridiculous in my opinion. 4m or less I'm thrilled, 4.5m I'm on the fence about.

If the cap was going up from the 70.3 or whatever it was this year, I think Bozak would be worth 5-5.5m, but knowing the cap is going down to 64.3m, I don't see it.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:24 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
It's Gagner, not Gagne

Bozak could us Grabo as a measuring stick, but I don't think it will get him far.

Grabo prior to his extension had 48 points, 35 points (in 59 games), 58 points and 51 (signed before this season ended) points scoring 20+ goals 3 different times. Bozak just hasn't compared offensively. Bozak I think is a valuable player to have and want to resign him but if he gets north of 5m it will be ridiculous in my opinion. 4m or less I'm thrilled, 4.5m I'm on the fence about.

If the cap was going up from the 70.3 or whatever it was this year, I think Bozak would be worth 5-5.5m, but knowing the cap is going down to 64.3m, I don't see it.
Leave me alone. I've had 15+yrs of Simon. Sam and his spelling can go **** himself.

Bozak has his defensive play and Faceoff% working for him.
But the biggest feather in his cap is that he has worked well with KEssel while Grabo did not.

I agree 4M is the max he should get. But his agent is going to point out that he has been a #1 center for the past 2.5 years. WHile that is true it speaks more to the lack of options for Toronto than it does to Bozaks skill or value.

I can see it from the agent's pov and if I am going into negotiations my starting point is 6M. 0.5M more than Grabo. I would think 5M would still be considered a win, but you never start with what you will be willing to accept.

I could totally see TML walking away from Bozak and going with Colborne, Kadri and Grabo next year.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:31 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Leave me alone. I've had 15+yrs of Simon. Sam and his spelling can go **** himself.

Bozak has his defensive play and Faceoff% working for him.
But the biggest feather in his cap is that he has worked well with KEssel while Grabo did not.

I agree 4M is the max he should get. But his agent is going to point out that he has been a #1 center for the past 2.5 years. WHile that is true it speaks more to the lack of options for Toronto than it does to Bozaks skill or value.

I can see it from the agent's pov and if I am going into negotiations my starting point is 6M. 0.5M more than Grabo. I would think 5M would still be considered a win, but you never start with what you will be willing to accept.

I could totally see TML walking away from Bozak and going with Colborne, Kadri and Grabo next year.

Bozak is good at that stuff, but that stuff usually doesn't translate to $$$. Just isn't as valued as offense is.

His agent should be fired if he doesn't start negotiations like you suggested. But the agent also should be fired if he doesn't back off of that throughout the negotiations knowing that it is unrealistic.

Bozak I hope gets resigned, but yeah, I also wouldn't be surprised if we ended up not resigning him. Kadri, Grabo, Colborne and McClemant would still be alright down the middle. Then we also have guys like Hamilton who could play a few minutes a night on the 4th line if needed. Or Komarov used to play center and could be put there in a pinch. Wouldn't be the end of the world if we don't resign him.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:41 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:

Bozak is good at that stuff, but that stuff usually doesn't translate to $$$. Just isn't as valued as offense is.

His agent should be fired if he doesn't start negotiations like you suggested. But the agent also should be fired if he doesn't back off of that throughout the negotiations knowing that it is unrealistic.

Bozak I hope gets resigned, but yeah, I also wouldn't be surprised if we ended up not resigning him. Kadri, Grabo, Colborne and McClemant would still be alright down the middle. Then we also have guys like Hamilton who could play a few minutes a night on the 4th line if needed. Or Komarov used to play center and could be put there in a pinch. Wouldn't be the end of the world if we don't resign him.
IF bozak is resigned it has to be as a #3. Grabo has to go. There is no way around it. I like him, but he is too expensive for a 3rd line C. If he can't gel with Kessel then he has no use to the team. However we may need to go one more year with him depending on how the early UFA period goes.

Now if Bozak wants to be paid 5M to be our 3rd line C then we have to cut him loose too.

The leaves Kadri McClement, andColborne. so if we don't keep Grabo we have to bring someone in.

GagneR would be perfect to put on Kessels line.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:24 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
IF bozak is resigned it has to be as a #3. Grabo has to go. There is no way around it. I like him, but he is too expensive for a 3rd line C. If he can't gel with Kessel then he has no use to the team. However we may need to go one more year with him depending on how the early UFA period goes.

Now if Bozak wants to be paid 5M to be our 3rd line C then we have to cut him loose too.

The leaves Kadri McClement, andColborne. so if we don't keep Grabo we have to bring someone in.

GagneR would be perfect to put on Kessels line.
Colborne isn't even a 4th. line NHL center.

Kadri doesn't work with Kessel.

Still too much up in the air to know how to proceed this summer.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:09 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Colborne isn't even a 4th. line NHL center.

Kadri doesn't work with Kessel.

Still too much up in the air to know how to proceed this summer.
Colborne was too slow last time , but with no Grabo, and Bozak he is next in line.

I never said Anything about Kadri playing with Kessel.

No there isn't too much up in the air.

We still need a better center than Bozak. And if Carlyle wants someone more physical to play with Phaneuf, then we still need another top pairing D-man.

Regardless of what happens in the next 70 days, those facts don't change.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:11 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Colborne was too slow last time , but with no Grabo, and Bozak he is next in line.

I never said Anything about Kadri playing with Kessel.

No there isn't too much up in the air.

We still need a better center than Bozak. And if Carlyle wants someone more physical to play with Phaneuf, then we still need another top pairing D-man.

Regardless of what happens in the next 70 days, those facts don't change.
How they play in the post season might show where bigger holes are.

I'm not sure Colborne can play in the NHL on a full time basis. Mind you this is still in rebuild phase, just has veteran/mature players on the team for the most part.

Gardiner got a lot of ice time last night, but they have a big lead. He seemed to be stuck in his own zone quite a bit though. Isn't showing he is a better option than Liles right now.

IMO 1st. line center is most pressing need.

Getting a 1st. pairing defender? A trade perhaps, but then I'm not sure they have enough assets to trade for a 1st. line center and a 1st. pairing defender.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:27 AM
Budsfan

NHL Sunday
Top NHL buyout candidates

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/04/13...out-candidates

Quote:
Ilya Bryzgalov, G, Philadelphia: His buyout would be $23 million spread over 14 years, which means he would be on the payroll until 2027.

Many in Philly believe the Flyers won't make this move and buyout centre Daniel Briere instead.

Roberto Luongo, G, Vancouver: He didn't get dealt at the April 3 deadline so this is a possibility but not realistic. The cost would be $27 million of the $40.57 million left on his deal.

The Canucks would be on the hook to pay him until 2031.

Brad Richards, C, Rangers: The club needs to clear cap space and they are considering this possibility. New York would be forced to cough up $27 million until 2027 to pay out Richards.

If that happens, don't rule out a return to Tampa.
Quote:
RUMOURS DU JOUR

The Winnipeg Jets decided not to deal D Ron Hainsey, but he will move on as a UFA on July 5. Hainsey, who has been averaging 22:59 of ice time a game this season and is making $4.5 million, will be highly sought after. The Flyers need blueline help along with the Senators, however, there will be a lot of teams interested. You can expect Philly to make another pitch for Phoenix D Keith Yandle again in the off-season. GM Paul Holmgren wasn't able to get a deal done for Yandle at the deadline and passed on a chance to get veteran D Dan Boyle from the San Jose Sharks... The Wings listened to offers for C Valtteri Filppula at the deadline and they had a lot of interest. Detroit decided not to move him in the end but the Penguins, Bruins, Leafs and Rangers were all trying to see if they could entice the Wings to move Filppula ..

Old
04-14-2013, 09:37 AM
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo

I can't remember. is Nonis an INTERIM. of a full fledged GM? (just for knowledge sake).

but i really have to think that someone in MLSE land is thinking:

4 years from now, the Leafs will be 100 - and it will be 50 calendar years since 1967.

I'm going to assume that their first priority is making sure that our core of players (Phaneuf, Reimer, Kadri, Kessel, (Bozak?)) are locked up and built around that. and most contracts will have to have 2017 in mind, right? Poor UFA class or not.

I'm going to assume we're going to go hard for Clarkson.
Do we let McArthur go?

Old
04-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Budsfan

More on Free Agents

NHL free-agent market has thinned drastically

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/04/13/...ed-drastically

Quote:
TORONTO - No Corey Perry.

No Ryan Getzlaf.

No Alex Semin.

What looked like it might be a promising crop of unrestricted free agents this summer has deteriorated in this condensed season, thanks to teams locking up their upper-end assets to mega-buck long-term deals.
Quote:
10. F Tyler Bozak

27, Leafs

The guessing here is that the Leafs extend him at $4-5 million per season, then try to move Mikhail Grabovski. It would be a nice raise for Bozak, who has a 2013 cap hit of just $1.5 million.
From what I'm reading, we should re-sign Bozak long term.

Closed Thread