HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers at Islanders 4/13/13

View Poll Results: Player of the Game! (My B)
Rick Nash 0 0%
Derek Stepan 1 0.68%
Ryan Callahan 0 0%
Ryane Clowe 0 0%
Brad Richards 2 1.37%
Byron Boil 3 2.05%
Carl Hagelin 0 0%
Derick Brassard 5 3.42%
Mats Zuccarello 4 2.74%
Arron Asham 0 0%
Darroll Powe 3 2.05%
Taylor Pyatt 0 0%
Dan Girardi 6 4.11%
Michael Del Zotto 0 0%
Anton Stralman 0 0%
Ryan McDonagh 0 0%
Johnny Moore 2 1.37%
Steve Eminger 0 0%
Some Swedish Guy 120 82.19%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-13-2013, 11:36 PM
  #251
h0ckeyman
Registered User
 
h0ckeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I think it's more that the Rangers were simply out played by a team that has really come together and plays very well together. The Rangers did not lack effort, they just could not connect two passes together with any consistency. It could be said that they hung in there very tough and just gutted out a win. Ugly bit still two points.

This was a playoff game folks.
Boom. All of the doomsdayers read this, because it's bang on. I just hope they put together some consistent outlet and neutral zone passes because this kind of game won't get a team through a 7 game series against MTL or PIT.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:44 PM
  #252
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,371
vCash: 500
I don't get this "Isles outplayed the Rangers" talk.

Lundqvist outplayed all 19 Islanders on the ice tonight. By himself.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:44 PM
  #253
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,279
vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I think it's more that the Rangers were simply out played by a team that has really come together and plays very well together. The Rangers did not lack effort, they just could not connect two passes together with any consistency. It could be said that they hung in there very tough and just gutted out a win. Ugly bit still two points.

This was a playoff game folks.
This was not a game I'd like to see the Rangers play in the playoffs.

This was a 2012 playoff game.

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:49 PM
  #254
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
Is Lundqvist a part of the team? Absolutely. But the difference is that he isn't included in any gameplans or systems. He has one job to do on the ice, and if you have 20 other guys who are being outplayed and one who isn't, you were outplayed overall. He just happens to be playing a position that can have a huge impact on the game. If he has an off night and lets in 6 goals, you don't claim you got outplayed, you say that he had an off night and let in some soft ones.

It's a two way street.

As an Isles fan, I felt that the Isles dominated play for most of the game (outside the of the Rangers PP's). But I really enjoyed the game as a whole, even with the outcome. Got a point and got to see a truly exciting and meaningful game between these two for the first time in 6 years.

Sometimes teams steal games, other times they don't, it's all a part of the game so I'm not too bitter. And just as an FYI, since I've seen some posts on it, that slash at the end of regulation called on Okposo was a textbook slash so I'm not quite sure why any Isles fan would be pissed off at that.
And as a Rangers fan, I feel that you guys got lucky we didn't pot 3 in a span of 4 minutes while we were dominating the first half of the second period.

Good game, very exciting. Glad both fanbases can agree on at least that much.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:50 PM
  #255
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman View Post
I've been rooting for it all season. Powe's an unsung hero on this team IMO
Ehh...

Powe had a very good game today, but this is the first game he was a presence in the offensive zone. I'm always glad he's on the team instead of Rupp, but he's under-performed what I thought he would be able to do.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:51 PM
  #256
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Wasn't at the game, wish I was, but the atmosphere was some of the best I've seen.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:55 PM
  #257
dspbathroom
Registered User
 
dspbathroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: LI/NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
And as a Rangers fan, I feel that you guys got lucky we didn't pot 3 in a span of 4 minutes while we were dominating the first half of the second period.

Good game, very exciting. Glad both fanbases can agree on at least that much.
You're aware the Isles missed just as many if not more quality looks right? Lundqvist is a beast and is the sole reason the Rangers are still afloat. He is truly an outstanding talent. The isles outplayed the Rangers in every other facet of the game but Lundqvist stole one for you; but that's what goalies like him do from time to time.

dspbathroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:58 PM
  #258
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspbathroom View Post
You're aware the Isles missed just as many if not more quality looks right? Lundqvist is a beast and is the sole reason the Rangers are still afloat. He is truly an outstanding talent. The isles outplayed the Rangers in every other facet of the game but Lundqvist stole one for you; but that's what goalies like him do from time to time.
Great for you. Lundqvist is the best goalie in the league and that's what he does. If you guys didn't luck as hard as you did it's a 3-1 game at the worst for us and you don't even get a point out of this.

Sorry if I sound hostile, just don't think it's cool for Isles fans to come in and say "we dominated you and you didn't deserve this W, butttt it happens."

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:58 PM
  #259
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,656
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspbathroom View Post
You're aware the Isles missed just as many if not more quality looks right? Lundqvist is a beast and is the sole reason the Rangers are still afloat. He is truly an outstanding talent. The isles outplayed the Rangers in every other facet of the game but Lundqvist stole one for you; but that's what goalies like him do from time to time.
I noticed often how it seems like only goalies "steal" games. This isn't directed at you. It's just an observation I've made.

Actually, I almost never see any mentions of skaters stealing games. Huh.

Edit- I want Boyle to steal a game one day just so I can equate him to the Hamburglar.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:02 AM
  #260
dspbathroom
Registered User
 
dspbathroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: LI/NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Great for you. Lundqvist is the best goalie in the league and that's what he does. If you guys didn't luck as hard as you did it's a 3-1 game at the worst for us and you don't even get a point out of this.

Sorry if I sound hostile, just don't think it's cool for Isles fans to come in and say "we dominated you and you didn't deserve this W, butttt it happens."
The same could easily be argued the other way when it comes to the goals. We hit 4 posts and Lundqvist made some simply outstanding saves. You were clearly outskated tonight and it was quite obvious. The Rangers won and they deserve it. I never said they didn't. It required a Herculean effort from Henrik and some post shots, but you won and that's all the mattered. I'm just saying our guys skated better and deserved a W but Henrik won the game for them because he's a truly special player.

dspbathroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:03 AM
  #261
h0ckeyman
Registered User
 
h0ckeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I noticed often how it seems like only goalies "steal" games. This isn't directed at you. It's just an observation I've made.

Actually, I almost never see any mentions of skaters stealing games. Huh.
Just goes to show you how important the position really is. Other than pitcher in baseball, it might be the position that can single handedly effect a game the most in all of sports.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:07 AM
  #262
iLandHer
Registered User
 
iLandHer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Great for you. Lundqvist is the best goalie in the league and that's what he does. If you guys didn't luck as hard as you did it's a 3-1 game at the worst for us and you don't even get a point out of this.

Sorry if I sound hostile, just don't think it's cool for Isles fans to come in and say "we dominated you and you didn't deserve this W, butttt it happens."
I thought I was pretty respectful. If you're going to cling to a 3 or 4 minute span in a 60+ minute game, then you're just helping prove the point.

Lundqvist is dominant, and seeing as how many of your fellow fans agree with us on the way the game was played, I don't see why you'd take it so personally and get upset about it. I also agreed with the penalty call that many Isles fans are apparently upset over.

I mostly just wanted to say that I enjoyed it, even with the loss and look forward to more games between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I noticed often how it seems like only goalies "steal" games. This isn't directed at you. It's just an observation I've made.

Actually, I almost never see any mentions of skaters stealing games. Huh.
Simply because they don't. It's hard to steal a game when you're on the bench for 2/3rds of it.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:07 AM
  #263
trilobyte
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 12,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspbathroom View Post
The same could easily be argued the other way when it comes to the goals. We hit 4 posts and Lundqvist made some simply outstanding saves. You were clearly outskated tonight and it was quite obvious. The Rangers won and they deserve it. I never said they didn't. It required a Herculean effort from Henrik and some post shots, but you won and that's all the mattered. I'm just saying our guys skated better and deserved a W but Henrik won the game for them because he's a truly special player.
You are correct about Lundqvist, but still wrong about the deserving of a win. And, your post is rather contradictory about this strange idea of 'deserving' a W.

The team that wins is the team that deserves the win. It's pretty much always true.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:08 AM
  #264
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
I thought I was pretty respectful. If you're going to cling to a 3 or 4 minute span in a 60+ minute game, then you're just helping prove the point.

Lundqvist is dominant, and seeing as how many of your fellow fans agree with us on the way the game was played, I don't see why you'd take it so personally and get upset about it. I also agreed with the penalty call that many Isles fans are apparently upset over.

I mostly just wanted to say that I enjoyed it, even with the loss and look forward to more games between the two.



Simply because they don't. It's hard to steal a game when you're on the bench for 2/3rds of it.
No, i'm clinging to a 32 minute stretch in a 60 minute game, because the first period was entirely even and the first 10-12 of the second was all us.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:11 AM
  #265
dspbathroom
Registered User
 
dspbathroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: LI/NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
No, i'm clinging to a 32 minute stretch in a 60 minute game, because the first period was entirely even and the first 10-12 of the second was all us.
The only time the Rangers were "dominant" was when they were on the PP. Isles forechecking was outstanding today. Rangers, as per usual, did an exceptional job blocking shots thought. Isles were winning every battle for the puck and getting to the loose picks quicker all night.

dspbathroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:12 AM
  #266
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,155
vCash: 300
I don't think either team played particularly well tonight.

There were a lot of sloppy passes, slow plays, and bad reads. The goal was the Islanders just abandoning their coverage and Josh Bailey falling down on the past by Brassard. Girardi was actually able to finish on it.

The ice also seemed pretty bad. The puck was bobbing and bouncing around more than usual, I noticed a few times it just going straight over players sticks on simple passes.

All in all, I thought the game was even. Just because the Islanders hit an extra post doesn't mean they were better - it's called hitting the post for a reason. It's not a goal. I think post shots are overrated, anyways. A lot of players hitting the post is because of the way the goalies angle themselves, forcing the shooter to hit the post instead of the back of the net.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:13 AM
  #267
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,656
vCash: 50
Post shots are also just as likely to miss the net completely as they are to actually go in.

Take it for what its worth.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:18 AM
  #268
iLandHer
Registered User
 
iLandHer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
I don't think either team played particularly well tonight.

There were a lot of sloppy passes, slow plays, and bad reads. The goal was the Islanders just abandoning their coverage and Josh Bailey falling down on the past by Brassard. Girardi was actually able to finish on it.

The ice also seemed pretty bad. The puck was bobbing and bouncing around more than usual, I noticed a few times it just going straight over players sticks on simple passes.

All in all, I thought the game was even. Just because the Islanders hit an extra post doesn't mean they were better - it's called hitting the post for a reason. It's not a goal. I think post shots are overrated, anyways. A lot of players hitting the post is because of the way the goalies angle themselves, forcing the shooter to hit the post instead of the back of the net.
I couldn't care less about posts, I care more about zone time, cycling, and quality chances.. The Isles seemed to own in zone time and chances, the Rangers had a few quality chances as well and ultimately made the most of it by putting one in when it mattered most.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:18 AM
  #269
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
I'm surprised by the outworked comments. We were out chanced for sure, but I think the work rate was equal, the Isles are just more 'in sync' than the Rangers, which is to be expected after the last 10 months of roster upheaval. A few little differences and it could have been 2-0 to the Rangers very early in the 2nd which would have changed how the game looked

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:19 AM
  #270
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
I couldn't care less about posts, I care more about zone time, cycling, and quality chances.. The Isles seemed to own in zone time and chances, the Rangers had a few quality chances as well and ultimately made the most of it by putting one in when it mattered most.
You're correct.

The Isles had very bad luck tonight and if this game was played over a 7 game series, they'd likely win. They were far and away the better team.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:23 AM
  #271
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,656
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
You're correct.

The Isles had very bad luck tonight and if this game was played over a 7 game series, they'd likely win. They were far and away the better team.
This means nothing to me. It was a single game. I too think the "far and away" better talk is being really overblown.

I've seen this team get REALLY outplayed. Tonight wasn't great for sure, but it wasn't like we were slaughtered lol.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:26 AM
  #272
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 920
I hate it when people bring up shots that go off the post.

They're the same as a shot that goes wide. It doesn't even count as a shot on goal.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:26 AM
  #273
Greg02
Registered User
 
Greg02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,822
vCash: 500
The Islanders' skaters may have had the edge in play, but it wasn't overwhelming.

There's also a reason why Henrik Lundqvist gets paid 7 million a year, and it's so we win on nights that our skaters get outplayed.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:28 AM
  #274
gravey9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 309
vCash: 500
Is anyone else pissed at Rick Nash for quitting in the middle of a shift? Nearly costing the team the game? At least he was benched for a few shifts... should have been the rest of the game.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:28 AM
  #275
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,656
vCash: 50
To simplify it.

Hank > Islanders

Hank = Rangers

Rangers > Islanders


Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.