HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2013, 11:58 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 2154
Yes, the overall consensus goaltender to backstop team Canada in the 2014 Olympics is awful. Let's trade him to Philly while they still think he's good.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:05 AM
ottawa

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I think the whole "brought the Habs for a game 7 against a Cup champion is disproportionate. Let say Kosty wins it instead of hitting Thomas skate and we win. Nobody knows Bruins were a contender, Julien is fired, and the Bruins go down in flame. Does it mean we win it all? Of course not. So we could have lost in the 2nd round in 5 games, Boston doesn't win anything and nobody tries to pass Price performance as borderline heroic based on the fact that "we almost beat the cup champion". Leighton almost beat Chicago. Unless we really have to only use the goalies that lost in game 7 against a future cup contender to explain how great he really is? I mean, honestly, to me it's going way too far when you really shouldn't have to work too hard to demonstrate how great a goalie is in clutch time. End-results need to be there. And more consecutive and consequent ones too as even Fleury, despite a cup win, is seen as terrible goalie for most of the people in here.
Yeah you're right, maybe and most likely we wouldn't have won it all and Price alone didn't bring us to game 7 but my point was he played a large role in our last post-season and did much better than most of us would have thought. I only mentioned that Price lost to the stanley cup winning champs just to emphasize on and remind everyone how good the Bruins were in every aspect of the game last year, I didn't mean to pass of Price's performance as 'heroic' even if it seemed that way. I just think Price played great and delivered a performance that allowed the habs to succeed and they still couldn't beat the Bruins (and I don't hold the team against that, the Bruins were great last year). If Price can put up the same performance again this year then the habs have enough depth to succeed this time, and better defense. I just hope for Price's sake he'll be good this post-season because the last thing he needs in his career is for the media to turn on him

Old
04-14-2013, 12:05 AM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Yes, the overall consensus goaltender to backstop team Canada in the 2014 Olympics is awful. Let's trade him to Philly while they still think he's good.
Canada's goaltending is in a sad state of affairs. The top three guys (Price, Fleury, Luongo) all have a history of blowing up in grand fashion.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:08 AM
Carey Cost*

vCash: 500
The only thing i got from this game is that Budaj is a better goalie than Price this year. Of course its not going to happen but save what ever value Price has left and play Budaj till the end and then trade Price this summer. Even after today's game people would think hes an above avg goalie. Playin 1 round in the series and losing it wont increase his value it will probably reduce it. TMake a package with Price in it to obtain an early 1st pick. I know calgary will love to have an "elite" young goalie + Hartley loves Price

Old
04-14-2013, 12:09 AM
ottawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Canada's goaltending is in a sad state of affairs. The top three guys (Price, Fleury, Luongo) all have a history of blowing up in grand fashion.
Yeah but aside from this season Cam Ward is pretty reliable and he performs well in the playoffs too. I think it'll come down to Price, Ward and Luongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Cost View Post
The only thing i got from this game is that Budaj is a better goalie than Price this year. Of course its not going to happen but save what ever value Price has left and play Budaj till the end and then trade Price this summer. Even after today's game people would think hes an above avg goalie. Playin 1 round in the series and losing it wont increase his value it will probably reduce it. TMake a package with Price in it to obtain an early 1st pick. I know calgary will love to have an "elite" young goalie + Hartley loves Price
Trade Price and do what? Lose in round 1? Ride Budaj next season and miss the playoffs? He's not a starter and he can't handle 60+ games the way Price can...and if we're going to go and replace Price then get ready to give 6.5m to another goalie for multiple years. People seem to keep forgetting over and over again that he's only 25 and he's the 8th youngest goalie to hit 300 career games...give him time, don't chase him out before we've seen the best he has to offer.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:14 AM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
OK who starts next year then? Peter Budaj or our early 1st pick?

Old
04-14-2013, 12:20 AM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

Just figured I'd pop my head in to see if this thread was turning into a gongshow... Yup it is.

Carry on.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:22 AM
WhatJustHappened
A.k.a compile

vCash: 693
Send a message via Skype™ to WhatJustHappened
Quote:
The only thing I have gotten from Markov since being a Hab is that he can't perform and is injury prone. Not only that he can't play 35+ mins a game which makes him useless. He's been a Hab for over 10+ years and we have won nothing. Save whatever value Markov has left and play Beulieu till the end then trade Markov. Even after seeing Markov for the past 3 years people would think he's not an elite defense man. Playing another 1nd round with an exit won't increase his value but only reduce it. Make a package with Markov to obtain an early 1st pick. I know Detroit will love having an "elite" defense man.

Switch Price with anyone that has been a Hab for more then 3 years and you get the same idiotic bs.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:27 AM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Yeah but aside from this season Cam Ward is pretty reliable and he performs well in the playoffs too. I think it'll come down to Price, Ward and Luongo

Trade Price and do what? Lose in round 1? Ride Budaj next season and miss the playoffs? He's not a starter and he can't handle 60+ games the way Price can...and if we're going to go and replace Price then get ready to give 6.5m to another goalie for multiple years. People seem to keep forgetting over and over again that he's only 25 and he's the 8th youngest goalie to hit 300 career games...give him time, don't chase him out before we've seen the best he has to offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
OK who starts next year then? Peter Budaj or our early 1st pick?
Honestly? Get Halak back... I know the stats are not there this year but he got injured 2 times...

Sry mods I don't want to brg THAT subject back... but really Halak is expandable in St-Louis and has proven that he can do great things when its time plus last year and the year before and the year before that he was stats wise better than Price.

I know I will admit it I'm still ******** over that trade but stats wise Halak wouldn't be a bad choice plus we could get him for cheap.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:33 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
Honestly? Get Halak back... I know the stats are not there this year but he got injured 2 times...

Sry mods I don't want to brg THAT subject back... but really Halak is expandable in St-Louis and has proven that he can do great things when its time plus last year and the year before and the year before that he was stats wise better than Price.

I know I will admit it I'm still ******** over that trade but stats wise Halak wouldn't be a bad choice plus we could get him for cheap.
Wow, just wow.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:35 AM
ottawa

Quote:

Old
04-14-2013, 12:36 AM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
The only thing I have gotten from Markov since being a Hab is that he can't perform and is injury prone. Not only that he can't play 35+ mins a game which makes him useless. He's been a Hab for over 10+ years and we have won nothing. Save whatever value Markov has left and play Beulieu till the end then trade Markov. Even after seeing Markov for the past 3 years people would think he's not an elite defense man. Playing another 1nd round with an exit won't increase his value but only reduce it. Make a package with Markov to obtain an early 1st pick. I know Detroit will love having an "elite" defense man.

Switch Price with anyone that has been a Hab for more then 3 years and you get the same idiotic bs.
Huhh...why always brg Markov dude?

Markov is a general in the PP, thats his main role and he does it well.

Price main role is to keep us in the game. My opinion is that I don't see any future with him, he won nothing so far with us and today is just an example of how bad the situation is...we don't have in Carry a goalie that can step it up when needed the most.
So why do we have to talk non sense and make irrelevant comparisons?

You are Bsing at this moment not me...

Old
04-14-2013, 12:39 AM
Carey Cost*

I'm just providing a solution guys and its my opinion... I dont see whats wrong with what I said.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:44 AM
ottawa

Quote:
Huhh...why always brg Markov dude?

Markov is a general in the PP, thats his main role and he does it well.

Price main role is to keep us in the game. My opinion is that I don't see any future with him, he won nothing so far with us and today is just an example of how bad the situation is...we don't have in Carry a goalie that can step it up when needed the most.
So why do we have to talk non sense and make irrelevant comparisons?

You are Bsing at this moment not me...
Exactly who in recent history has/can carry their team year after year for a decade? Brodeur has done it have but his careers coming to an end...there's Lundqvist and Rinne right now. Yep, that's about it. People here have high expectations for Price, even if he finishes a season with a 2.0 GAA or less people will STILL complain about him. There is a very short list of elite goalies, Price isn't on it but he has a good chance of getting on that list imo, he just needs a bit more time he's only 25.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:44 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
I'm just providing a solution guys and its my opinion... I dont see whats wrong with what I said.
Halak is playing bad so bad he can't even keep a starting position let alone a backup position

Old
04-14-2013, 12:52 AM
Ginu

Quote:
For a solution, there's got to be a problem.

The problem tonight is our lack of size. This game screamed out for a Clowe or Hartnell on our top 2 lines. With Desharnais, Gionta and Gallagher we're gonna have problems in game like this.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:55 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Exactly who in recent history has/can carry their team year after year for a decade? Brodeur has done it have but his careers coming to an end...there's Lundqvist and Rinne right now. Yep, that's about it. People here have high expectations for Price, even if he finishes a season with a 2.0 GAA or less people will STILL complain about him
Other than a few games this season carey has done a fine job keeping us in games, is this his best season? Definitely not, but people need to calm down and stop overreacting every time price has a bad game. People need to understand that he is a human being, mistakes will be made, IMO he's got the most pressure of any athlete and I don't think he needs to be told he had a bad game every goalie knows when they're doing bad.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:04 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
For a solution, there's got to be a problem.

The problem tonight is our lack of size. This game screamed out for a Clowe or Hartnell on our top 2 lines. With Desharnais, Gionta and Gallagher we're gonna have problems in game like this.
Are you kidding me? The problem today was giving up 3 goals in the first 10 minutes. The game was over after that one.

Tonight, the problem was goal tending. The coach said so and Price apologized to the team after the 1st.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:05 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
Other than a few games this season carey has done a fine job keeping us in games, is this his best season? Definitely not, but people need to calm down and stop overreacting every time price has a bad game. People need to understand that he is a human being, mistakes will be made, IMO he's got the most pressure of any athlete and I don't think he needs to be told he had a bad game every goalie knows when they're doing bad.
Most pressure of any athlete? Really?

Old
04-14-2013, 01:09 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
Are you kidding me? The problem today was giving up 3 goals in the first 10 minutes. The game was over after that one.

Tonight, the problem was goal tending. The coach said so and Price apologized to the team after the 1st.
This isn't the first game this team has played in. In games against tough teams, we fold like a cheap tent. Our whole team plays intimidated, including our goalie. It's not rocket science why Price struggles against the Leafs, Philly and sometimes Boston, and repeatedly.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:13 AM
Noob616

Quote:
This isn't the first game this team has played in. In games against tough teams, we fold like a cheap tent. Our whole team plays intimidated, including our goalie. It's not rocket science why Price struggles against the Leafs, Philly and sometimes Boston, and repeatedly.
I'm a huge Price apologist but the "we need size" line is such a dead horse that it's come back to life and been killed again.

I'm really really really sick of every game we lose being about size. Carey Price had a .25 save percentage after 4 shots in this game. We didn't lose from toughness. We lost because Price had an absolutely hilariously bad start to this game and Budaj couldn't stop the bleeding.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:15 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
Price does, not the team. Budaj does fine against those teams.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:15 AM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
I'm a huge Price apologist but the "we need size" line is such a dead horse that it's come back to life and been killed again.

I'm really really really sick of every game we lose being about size. Carey Price had a .25 save percentage after 4 shots in this game. We didn't lose from toughness. We lost because Price had an absolutely hilariously bad start to this game and Budaj couldn't stop the bleeding.
Props for being objective.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:21 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post

You guys are seriously kidding yourselves if you think the size in our top 6 isn't an issue. It's been beaten like a dead horse because, NEWSFLASH, it's still a problem. Playoffs are a battle. Speed kills, but this isn't a race- it's a war. Yes Price let in goals early. But you have to turn games likes this into opportunities. Bang the crease. Crash the net. Get messy goals. We don't have guys with skill who can do that. Unfortunately, that's what the playoffs need.

Who's gonna do it? Desharnais? Lol Give me a break. He gets such soft minutes he should play in butter. And Pacioretty suffers. That line will be broken up soon.

I don't care about winning this year because we're 2-3 years away and this'll be a learning experience. But we're definitely not built for the playoffs. So I could care less about losing a game against the Leafs. But Chicago, LA, Boston... they either had elite skill, a lot of size / grit, or both. None of those teams win with our formula. We're not Detroit.

Last edited by Ginu: 04-14-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old
04-14-2013, 01:24 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
Most pressure of any athlete? Really?
K well who has more pressure? Enlighten me, the only athletes close to carey are qb's who pay for big franchises

Closed Thread