HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2013, 09:46 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

vCash: 500
Ballmer and Hansen will to go another 25 million if sactown matches

Old
04-12-2013, 11:17 PM
gstommylee

Ian Thomsen ‏@SI_IanThomsen
Seattle group officially ups Kings offer by $25m -- raising NBA record valuation to $550m, league source tells http://SI.com .

BOOM!

http://www.sonicsarena.com/news/an-update

Old
04-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Shaz

Sacramento can't compete in a bidding war and for the rumor that David Stern won't allow it to become that, well............... That would be an Anti-Trust lawsuit on his hands

He can't tell the Maloofs to sell to a lower bidder

Looks like Hansen/Ballmer are calling Sacramento's bluff

Old
04-12-2013, 11:21 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz View Post
Sacramento can't compete in a bidding war and for the rumor that David Stern won't allow it to become that, well............... That would be an Anti-Trust lawsuit on his hands

He can't tell the Maloofs to sell to a lower bidder

Looks like Hansen/Ballmer are calling Sacramento's bluff
Btw its now 550m offer Hansen just upped it.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:34 PM
Shaz

The 7% is now officially Hansen's

Quote:
Curtis Crabtree ‏@Curtis_Crabtree 22s
RT @ChrisDaniels5: BREAKING: Hansen group will acquire 7% that is tied up in bankruptcy court, as Sacramento fails to match. #NBAKings

Old
04-13-2013, 12:18 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Ian Thomsen ‏@SI_IanThomsen
Seattle group officially ups Kings offer by $25m -- raising NBA record valuation to $550m, league source tells http://SI.com .

BOOM!

http://www.sonicsarena.com/news/an-update
Which is now 125 million more than the Kings are actually worth.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:53 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:

Old
04-13-2013, 01:14 AM
nwpensfan

It seems that Hansen believes this his best (and maybe only) chance to get the NBA (and NHL) back in Seattle. Stern is now on the clock (the *******).

Old
04-13-2013, 02:07 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...#ixzz2QK03tmZq

Quote:
A new arena in Sacramento cannot be built within three years, as proposed by Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson. Based on an intrinsic set of checks-and-balances in California that have delayed local stadium projects by the Giants and 49ers, the Kings can expect to need at least six years to complete a new arena in Sacramento. The current site for a new arena in downtown Sacramento may not be viable.

The Seattle group laid out the recent history of arena building projects in the Sacramento region for NBA owners. The 49ers began their project to build a facility in Santa Clara, 88 miles from Sacramento, in August 2008; the new stadium is expected to open in 2014. The Giants launched their new stadium project 75 miles from Sacramento in April 1996, and it opened in 2000. The Warriors began work on a new arena in December 2012 with an anticipated opening in 2017.

Sacramento faces numerous issues in its attempt to complete its new arena project. The proposed downtown site involves at least 25 parcels of land that are controlled by five independent owners. Two previous attempts to plan an arena at the site have been abandoned because of high costs and other complications.

Old
04-13-2013, 02:15 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Sacramento might not have even matched the original offer of 525 or the 30 million deposit

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/04/13/k...s=iref:nbahpts
Quote:
While numerous reports insisted the group, now led by TIBCO founder and Warriors minority owner Vivek Ranadive, had told both the league and the Maloofs that they would match, a source directly involved in the negotiations said late Friday that the Maloofs have received no indication, written or otherwise, that the Ranadive group will match.

Nor, the source said, had the group pledged or given written assurance it would match the $30 million non-refundable deposit that the Hansen group made to the Maloofs in January. Earlier Friday, a source had said the Ranadive group had made such a pledge.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:09 AM
OilersFan1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Sacramento might not have even matched the original offer of 525 or the 30 million deposit

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/04/13/k...s=iref:nbahpts
Well and it's funny to see so many posters talking about how the SAC group said they would match the SEA group's offer, when Ranadive himself only suggested after the meetings in NYC that they would do their best. The words "we will match their offer" or "we have matched their offer" never once came out of his mouth.

It will be a relief once all this drama is finished and the NBA makes their decision.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:46 PM
gstommylee

What's funny hansen seemed to call their bluff and raised the pot by additional 25m

Old
04-13-2013, 03:11 PM
PCSPounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
My head is spinning!! I just want the NHL in Seattle. Stern has got be worst sports commissioner in history.
Nope, Stern is doing his job. The value just keeps going up. The owners smile at this news.

Old
04-13-2013, 05:55 PM
scotchex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
Nope, Stern is doing his job. The value just keeps going up. The owners smile at this news.
Yeah, the NBA loves this. A bidding war is awesome for the NBA. This is pretty much ideal -- two cities throwing ever more money and resources at the NBA. NBA wishes this would happen every time a team is struggling. So do all the other leagues.

Old
04-13-2013, 06:11 PM
OilersFan1978

From @ChrisDaniels5:

"BREAKING: The NBA extends the BOG meeting by a day, with special committee meeting scheduled on #NBAKings for Wednesday."

"BREAKING: I am told that the Seattle and Sacramento investor groups are NOT invited to the special Wednesday meeting. #NBAKings"

"BREAKING: The #NBAKings situation will be addressed at a press conference in New York scheduled for next Friday."

"I will be in NYC to provide full tweet-by-tweet coverage of the pivotal moment in the #NBAKings and #NBASeattle saga."

So now we know this is definitely going to be decided on next Friday. Time for the nail-biting to begin!

Old
04-13-2013, 06:27 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
Good point!

Old
04-13-2013, 06:43 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersFan1978 View Post
From @ChrisDaniels5:

"BREAKING: The NBA extends the BOG meeting by a day, with special committee meeting scheduled on #NBAKings for Wednesday."

"BREAKING: I am told that the Seattle and Sacramento investor groups are NOT invited to the special Wednesday meeting. #NBAKings"

"BREAKING: The #NBAKings situation will be addressed at a press conference in New York scheduled for next Friday."

"I will be in NYC to provide full tweet-by-tweet coverage of the pivotal moment in the #NBAKings and #NBASeattle saga."

So now we know this is definitely going to be decided on next Friday. Time for the nail-biting to begin!
I'm gonna be both nervious and worried.

Old
04-13-2013, 06:58 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Kings price going up and the Hornets, a team that was hemorrhaging money, was sold for an obscene amount as well.

There's a reason why the owners are cool with Stern.

Old
04-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Stonewall

Quote:
From @ChrisDaniels5:
So this is a gigantic show.

Old
04-13-2013, 08:59 PM
gstommylee

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/04/13/533...=Latest%20News

They are downplaying the 25m increase by hansen.

Not only they won't match but there isn't a binding written back-off offer.

And the so called legal expert i doubt they asked for an opinion of a lawyer is dead wrong on two reasons #1 NBA can't accept a offer they do not own the team #2 NBA can't make maloofs take a lower offer.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:07 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

vCash: 514
Quote:
From @ChrisDaniels5:

Taking a page out of Lebron's book....Sacramento or Seattle; The decision....

Old
04-13-2013, 10:01 PM
OilersFan1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Taking a page out of Lebron's book....Sacramento or Seattle; The decision....
HA! I hadn't even thought of it like that, but that's a good point! I guess people love good theater sometimes...

Old
04-14-2013, 01:13 AM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Quote:
It doesn't become official until the NBA approves it, and that decision won't come until the fate of Sacramento is decided next week.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:30 AM
derriko

vCash: 4116
At least its (hopefully) coming to an end. It only hurts every party involved to drag this on i.e. the Phoenix Coyotes situation.

I actually wont be too upset if Seattle doesnt get the team, I mean yeah we were screwed by the NBA, but Sac shouldnt lose their team in a similar scenario. Im not a fan of the "eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind," but it has to stop somewhere.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:59 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
It doesn't become official until the NBA approves it, and that decision won't come until the fate of Sacramento is decided next week.
Given that Sacramento has problems matching the old bid, and Hansen has upped his bid by another $25 million, I don't see Sacramento keeping the Kings. At best they get a promise of an expansion/relocation somewhere down the road, contingent on a new arena.

What worries me is Hansen's apparent unwillingness to own an NHL team. This is eerily reminiscent of ASG in Atlanta. Hansen would have to weigh the ONE TIME $80 million in contingent funds (for getting an NHL team) versus THE ONGOING REVENUE STREAMS he'd have to forgo to an NHL team. Unlike the case in Dallas, the cost of the arena is not split 50/50 with the owner of the hockey team. He would lose the ticket/suite/parking/concession/etc revenue for 45 dates a year. A hockey team simply is not feasable without it.

If instead he booked 20 or 30 rock concerts/WWE/MMA/tractor pulls, he would get to keep that revenue. Another factor to consider is that the NHL team would be competing with NBA team for sports fan dollars and sport sponsorship dollars. On the other hand, "them Idol shows that kids like" appeal to a totally different demographic. They would be additional revenue streams, instead of cannibalizing the NBA revenue streams. Hansen could legitimately make the rents high enough that an NHL team would not be viable. Look at Paul Allen in Portland, Les alexander in Houston, and ASG in Atlanta. For a hard-headed businessman that already owns an NBA team, adding an NHL team is questionable at best.

Closed Thread