HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Gaudreau returning to Boston College with eye towards 2014 Frozen Four

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-13-2013, 03:00 PM
  #1
HF Article
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country:
Posts: 12,507
vCash: 500
Gaudreau returning to Boston College with eye towards 2014 Frozen Four

 
Boston College did not make the 2013 Frozen Four, but they were nonetheless well represented at the festivities, with sophomore forward Johnny Gaudreau among the three finalists for the Hobey Baker Award. Gaudreau was the only underclassman to be selected as a finalist for the award, with the other two, winner Drew LeBlanc (CHI) and Eric Hartzell, both seniors. He was also the only member of the trio whose team did not make it to the Frozen Four.



"I'm a sophomore," Gaudreau said shortly after the Hobey Baker ceremony. "I never thought I'd get the chance to be in this kind of room, in this kind of environment, with two other great players like I was just with.… read more



More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:35 PM
  #2
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Error 503
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,311
vCash: 395
Quote:
One of the more prominent names in Boston College's incoming freshman class is Johnny's younger brother, Matt Gaudreau, a 2013 draft eligible forward who has spent the last two years playing with the Omaha Lancers of the USHL.
Wonder if the Flames are interested in drafting him.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:40 PM
  #3
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,648
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Wonder if the Flames are interested in drafting him.
Maybe with a 7th but highly doubtful
Matt:
www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=121912

John:
www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=88391

Basically the same build but Matt isn't offensive.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:49 PM
  #4
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Error 503
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,311
vCash: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Maybe with a 7th but highly doubtful
Matt:
www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=121912

John:
www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=88391

Basically the same build but Matt isn't offensive.
That's a shame. But John seems pretty close to Matt from the article. Drafting him with a 7th could provide some further incentive for John to sign with the Flames.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 05:04 PM
  #5
The Ultimate Warrior
F l a m e s
 
The Ultimate Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fort McMurray
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,318
vCash: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
That's a shame. But John seems pretty close to Matt from the article. Drafting him with a 7th could provide some further incentive for John to sign with the Flames.
Don't we have two 7ths? Hell, just use on him.. It would be a nice gesture.. How many of our 7ths (or other 7th rounders) pan out?

The Ultimate Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 05:18 PM
  #6
herashak
Registered User
 
herashak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,413
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Don't we have two 7ths? Hell, just use on him.. It would be a nice gesture.. How many of our 7ths (or other 7th rounders) pan out?
id rather draft a tendy

herashak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 05:28 PM
  #7
tyflames
Registered User
 
tyflames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,780
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
id rather draft a tendy
Because the flames need so much more goalies in the organization. We have enough goalies, unless they are high caliber talent.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 05:40 PM
  #8
herashak
Registered User
 
herashak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,413
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
Because the flames need so much more goalies in the organization. We have enough goalies, unless they are high caliber talent.
because we need another undersized forward, thats really gonna turn this franchise around. if we are gonna throw away our 7th rounders might aswell use it for a goalie. most of the best goalies in the league are late round picks.

herashak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 05:55 PM
  #9
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Error 503
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,311
vCash: 395
The Flames have two 7th round picks apparently. They can waste them on yet another goaltender and Matt Gaudreau. No need to throw them away on one or the other.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 05:57 PM
  #10
herashak
Registered User
 
herashak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,413
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
The Flames have two 7th round picks apparently They can waste them on yet another goaltender and Matt Gaudreau. No need to throw them away on one or the other.
edit


Last edited by herashak: 04-13-2013 at 06:21 PM.
herashak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:05 PM
  #11
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,729
vCash: 763
Why would we waste a draft pick just for the sake of pleasing Gaudreau? This is absurd, and not at all the way a top level organization operates.

We signed Richie Regehr, but he was actually pretty decent. Matty Gaudreau will be lucky to be a half decent college player let alone a legitimate NHL prospect.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:13 PM
  #12
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Error 503
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,311
vCash: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Don't we have two 7ths? Hell, just use on him.. It would be a nice gesture.. How many of our 7ths (or other 7th rounders) pan out?
From 1980 to 2009, the Flames had 32 seventh round draft picks. Of those, there's four guys who managed to play more than 10 games or are still on a NHL team at the moment:

Stu Grimson in 1985 with 729 games played
Ladislav Kohn in 1994 with 186
David Moss in 2001 with 356 (Phoenix)
David Van der Gulik in 2002 with 37 (Avalanche)

After that, there's Patrick Holland and Matt DeBlouw whose future is still in the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
okay lets hear what you would use them on, with 2 of them we are bound to draft another datsyuk right?
A goaltender and Matt Gaudreau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Why would we waste a draft pick just for the sake of pleasing Gaudreau? This is absurd, and not at all the way a top level organization operates.

We signed Richie Regehr, but he was actually pretty decent. Matty Gaudreau will be lucky to be a half decent college player let alone a legitimate NHL prospect.
Further incentive and perhaps insurance for him to sign with the Flames. Not saying they should do that, but maybe it's something the organization considers, if they are concerned about J.Gaudreau not signing down the road.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:20 PM
  #13
InfinityIggy
Moderator
No Longer Flammable
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,164
vCash: 107
Since he likely goes undrafted, the Flames could just sign him to a contract.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 07:11 PM
  #14
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,729
vCash: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Further incentive and perhaps insurance for him to sign with the Flames. Not saying they should do that, but maybe it's something the organization considers, if they are concerned about J.Gaudreau not signing down the road.
Why wouldn't Gaudreau sign with the Flames? And if there was an issue, why would the Flames bend to the will of some kid who hasn't even proven his abilities at the pro level.

That's not how top level teams operate. That's how a team can quickly turn into a joke. Someone doesn't want to play here? Fine, there are others frothing at the mouth for an NHL opportunity.

Erixon was a whiny ***** who didn't want to sign, but Brodie got an opportunity on the third pairing in place of Erixon and ran with it. Those are the kinds of players I want playing on this team. This team is getting rid of the country club atmosphere and can't bring it back and let players dictate organizational decisions.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 07:41 PM
  #15
Lazar Beams
Moderator
PEW PEW PEW
 
Lazar Beams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Inside my own head
Country: Bermuda
Posts: 13,232
vCash: 200
If it's going to take drafting his little brother to sign him to a contract, put me right on board the "trade him for a better pick this draft" train.

Lazar Beams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 09:07 PM
  #16
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,729
vCash: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
If it's going to take drafting his little brother to sign him to a contract, put me right on board the "trade him for a better pick this draft" train.
Exactly. But Gaudreau seems like a really humble guy so I'm sure he'll be excited for an opportunity wherever he gets it.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 09:20 PM
  #17
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Error 503
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,311
vCash: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Why wouldn't Gaudreau sign with the Flames? And if there was an issue, why would the Flames bend to the will of some kid who hasn't even proven his abilities at the pro level.

That's not how top level teams operate. That's how a team can quickly turn into a joke. Someone doesn't want to play here? Fine, there are others frothing at the mouth for an NHL opportunity.

Erixon was a whiny ***** who didn't want to sign, but Brodie got an opportunity on the third pairing in place of Erixon and ran with it. Those are the kinds of players I want playing on this team. This team is getting rid of the country club atmosphere and can't bring it back and let players dictate organizational decisions.
Wasn't implying that Gaudreau wouldn't sign with the Flames, or would make the team draft his brother in order to sign (and I'm not even sure how anyone could make that stretch), just that drafting Matt could provide some extra incentive. It's probably entirely unnecessary, and I expect Gaudreau will sign here regardless.

And drafting Matt is a better strategy than signing him as a free agent because that way the Flames don't waste a contract spot on him.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:02 PM
  #18
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,729
vCash: 763
I understood we were dealing in hypothetical, but Matty isn't very skilled and he's tiny, so he's definitely a no go. And yeah, let's not bother wasting a contract spot on him either.

Guys like Holland or DeBlouw at least have some NHL potential.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:18 AM
  #19
Method Man
Bring the Pain
 
Method Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,841
vCash: 50
Matty Gaudreau will go underafted and maybe if he is very lucky he will get an AHL contract when he finishes college.

There is a better chance that Matty gets a degree in marketing and the Flames give him a job than him ever being drafted.

Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.