HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lars Eller Thread - Great or Greatest Dane Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Guilliam

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
I don'g hate him but we can do so much better at a way lesser price
Like who as an example? I've heard so many people wanting to get rid of Gionta but not one single sensible realistic solution about how we can use his cap hit better.

Kristo, Collberg and Leblanc haven't show that they're ready to pick up his duties. The UFA market is getting pretty thin so if we were to get one we would most likely dramatically overpay. Then there are trades but keep in mind that Gio has little to no value so we would have to package him with some other players and picks/prospects if we want to get someone that is better than him.

I say just let him finish his contract and by that time one of the prospects should be able to take his place.

Old
04-11-2013, 04:30 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
Like who as an example? I've heard so many people wanting to get rid of Gionta but not one single sensible realistic solution about how we can use his cap hit better.

Kristo, Collberg and Leblanc haven't show that they're ready to pick up his duties. The UFA market is getting pretty thin so if we were to get one we would most likely dramatically overpay. Then there are trades but keep in mind that Gio has little to no value so we would have to package him with some other players and picks/prospects if we want to get someone that is better than him.

I say just let him finish his contract and by that time one of the prospects should be able to take his place.
Prust

Old
04-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Prust
So Prust is going to score around 25 goals a season

Old
04-11-2013, 04:40 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:

Trade.

The Kings did not use the UFA route. They traded.

I would much rather trade Gionta for an experienced player than wait and hope for a prospect to fully develop. Leblanc is a good example of that.

Old
04-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
So Prust is going to score around 25 goals a season
This. Plus we already have Prust on the team. Why do we need to get rid of Gionta?

We (can) have both.

Old
04-11-2013, 04:48 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
This. Plus we already have Prust on the team. Why do we need to get rid of Gionta?

We (can) have both.
Prust deserves to be in the top 9. He makes whatever line he's on better.

Prust won't score as much as Gionta but he brings a lot more to a line
Than just goals. A lot of stuff he does doesn't show up on the scoresheet.

I don't know why this should be such a controversial stance. He's the weakest forward
In our top 9. I don't hate him. He just doesn't bring enough to the table is all.

Old
04-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Sorinth

Quote:

I don't know why this should be such a controversial stance. He's the weakest forward
In our top 9. I don't hate him. He just doesn't bring enough to the table is all.
Prust in the top-9 is not controversial, but Gionta is not the weakest top-9 forward on this team. As for Prust's intagibles, Gionta also brings a lot of stuff that doesn't show up on the scoresheet.

Old
04-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Trade.

I would much rather trade Gionta for an experienced player than wait and hope for a prospect to fully develop. Leblanc is a good example of that.
Why would a team trade us a better player for Gionta? If we trade for someone that can replace Gionta, then Gionta will not be the centerpiece of that deal.

Old
04-11-2013, 05:28 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Why would a team trade us a better player for Gionta? If we trade for someone that can replace Gionta, then Gionta will not be the centerpiece of that deal.
Gionta has value. You have to find a team looking for a need that Gionta can fill and in return offer us a player that will fill a need that we have.

I am not talking about a one for one trade. Any player can be traded, if they have value and are not named Kaberle.

Teams do it all the time.

Old
04-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

You can say the exact same thing for Gionta.
The difference though is that it's not fights or hits that he brings, so it's harder to notice.

But his defensive abilities are good, and some of the decisions he makes in the offensive zone with good positioning and strategic puck placing has helped our team produce goals and scoring chances.

Old
04-11-2013, 06:06 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Good to see him doing well at center...

Old
04-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Trade.

One does not simply make the type of trades like the Kings did with Giontas. They drafted well and often for years then when they thought the time was right they used what they felt was expendable to acquire more proven talent. Not old, over the hill, UFA, etc but actual proven in prime players. Judging by what Bergevin has said in term of drafting, I see him taking the same route.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:24 AM
Et le But

This really isn't acceptable. Kadri is like half his size.

Eller once again showed he's no Plekanec.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:46 AM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

This really isn't acceptable. Kadri is like half his size.

Eller once again showed he's no Plekanec.
So, uh, where was the puck?

Old
04-14-2013, 12:53 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
So, uh, where was the puck?
Eller was chasing it I believe. Kadri had a far more dirty hit on Gallagher.

Kadri got away with a ridiculous amount, that's another story. That should have been a penalty. But this is nothing new for Kadri, I'm usually not one to complain about these things but there's no reason a guy like that should be getting away with that.

But Eller needs to protect himself better, getting wrecked by a 185 lbs guy shouldn't be happening. This was so embarassing it's getting reposted by the official Leafs twitter account.

Besides this, Eller was particularly ineffective tonight.

Last edited by Et le But: 04-14-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old
04-14-2013, 01:00 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Eller was chasing it I believe.

Kadri got away with a ridiculous amount, that's another story. That should have been a penalty. But this is nothing new for Kadri, I'm usually not one to complain about these things but there's no reason a guy like that should be getting away with that.

But Eller needs to protect himself better, getting wrecked by a 185 lbs guy shouldn't be happening. This was so embarassing it's getting reposted by the official Leafs twitter account.

I don't think you can ever blame a player for getting nailed when it's illegal to do so.

Definitely not his best game tonight, though. Galchenyuk was the best player on his line.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:03 AM
Et le But

Then again all our centers except Plekanec were kind of awful today.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:05 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Eller was pissed off all night.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:10 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Eller was pissed off all night.
He should have gone out and trucked someone then. He did pop grabovski good, even if it seemed unintentional.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:12 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He should have gone out and trucked someone then. He did pop grabovski good, even if it seemed unintentional.
He tried to hit someone on that PK where Kadri "speared" him on the faceoff but failed miserably. Just one of those nights.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:06 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You can say the exact same thing for Gionta.
The difference though is that it's not fights or hits that he brings, so it's harder to notice.

But his defensive abilities are good, and some of the decisions he makes in the offensive zone with good positioning and strategic puck placing has helped our team produce goals and scoring chances.
This is exactly how I feel about Gio except that he used to be clutch in terms of scoring. Now, he screws up so many plays that he's basically limited to those intangibles rather than being a scoring threat. There are times when you just have to tap it in or not be so pathetic on the puck. That said, the monkey Patches threw into the stands in Carolina has jumped back on with a vengeance.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:10 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Eller was chasing it I believe. Kadri had a far more dirty hit on Gallagher.

Weird thing to me is that Eller seemed not to care or take notice, like he was just focussing on the game. I've seen him otherwise get really pissed and rub guys out. I thought it would be coming but never did. Kinda confused why cuz Eller is not someone a guy like Kadri should mess with and taunt (you just know the leaf fans are eating up the stare.) IMO bullseye squarely on Kadri, he's gonna get popped big time. Even Cherry alluded to having to drop the gloves, which may not be necessary, but expect a big hit on him. Someone needs to do it no matter what neanderthals the leafs have. At least when PK hits, he moves on. And they said he lacked class...

Old
04-14-2013, 03:10 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
Then again all our centers except Plekanec were kind of awful today.
Plekanec was playing tonight? But seriously he was **** too

Old
04-14-2013, 03:19 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
Plekanec was playing tonight? But seriously he was **** too
I love Pleky and I don't think he had a bad game, but he is a player who needs another player and so tonight, invisible since we weren't playing north south. He's not beating anyone one on one. He didn't screw up much, he was just rendered useless cuz Gio continues to suck and Ryder was sluggish too. Bourque had two good chances...missed. Pleks is great for keeping control on the PP.

Eller's line is the only one that actually seemed to want to get the puck, deke guys and fire it on net. Too bad Eller and Chucky haven't been able to not shoot 5 feet high and wide for pretty much the whole season (I don't get it...they have such good shots).

Old
04-14-2013, 06:54 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I love Pleky and I don't think he had a bad game, but he is a player who needs another player and so tonight, invisible since we weren't playing north south. He's not beating anyone one on one. He didn't screw up much, he was just rendered useless cuz Gio continues to suck and Ryder was sluggish too. Bourque had two good chances...missed. Pleks is great for keeping control on the PP.

Eller's line is the only one that actually seemed to want to get the puck, deke guys and fire it on net. Too bad Eller and Chucky haven't been able to not shoot 5 feet high and wide for pretty much the whole season (I don't get it...they have such good shots).
I think any line that has gionta on it will suffer, he just never seems involved and hes become so predictable and bland that plekanec has to adjust his game because he can't keep up or make a decent scoring chance on his own.

Closed Thread