HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eberle or Yak - Which one do you trade?

View Poll Results: Who would you trade Eberle or Yak?
Trade Eberle 156 82.54%
Trade Yak 33 17.46%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-13-2013, 08:30 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
the secondary scoring has blown major chuncks for the second half of the season.
And it'll be even better when Yak is a year older and consistently getting top six minutes. No more Hocoff + Yak crap.

If Hemsky doesn't start the season an Oiler that forces Hartikainen up onto the third line and gives Yak top 6 minutes full time. If we could get a good third line winger in return for Hemsky that would help us out a lot.

On top of that we need a better stay at home d-man to play with Schultz. Nick blows chunks and holds Justin back at times.

Edit: The secondary scoring doesn't totally suck. If we were playing an 82 game season Gagner would've been on pace for 71 points 2 games ago. Don't now about right now.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Connor McOilers
We suck.

If we had to, ebs, but like most people preferably neither of them.

Would rather see hemsky + a pick (I'm fine with trading next years 1st) for one legit d-man or big center.

Connor McOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:02 AM
jeetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I don't see it as a panic move will a top 6 of:
Hall; RNH; Eberle
PRV; Gagner; Yak
Will that top 6 be able to beat teams like LA, STL, or CHI
Even if you replace PRV it won't help.
The weak link there is Gagner. The Oilers need a center of the quality that pushes RNH to #2 center for the next 2 seasons

Hall; *****; Eberle
PRV; RNH ; Yak

How the Oilers get there and 'who' the center is, is anyone's guess

jeetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetz View Post
The weak link there is Gagner. The Oilers need a center of the quality that pushes RNH to #2 center for the next 2 seasons

Hall; *****; Eberle
PRV; RNH ; Yak

How the Oilers get there and 'who' the center is, is anyone's guess
Exactly how many centers in the NHL can push RNH to the second line? Don't kid yourself, we have 0% chance of landing someone like Tavares/Giroux.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Philly85
Moody'

PRV and Eberle are butter soft. I think we see this year, in a shortened season no less where a guy like Eberle in particular should flourish, good teams have figured this short dangling perimeter sniper out. Be hard on the guy, gap control, taking away time and space... not to mention unsustainable shooting % (which we all laughed about but was a reality), and the fact he's having a bad season, doesn't go to the tough areas... I love Eberle but this kid should be prime trade bait. The only thing that sucks about him is his contract. Another stupid deal by Tambellini that will hurt his value.

Anyways, if this team ever want to be competitive, Gagner PRV and Ebs all have to go.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:37 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
PRV and Eberle are butter soft. I think we see this year, in a shortened season no less where a guy like Eberle in particular should flourish, good teams have figured this short dangling perimeter sniper out. Be hard on the guy, gap control, taking away time and space... not to mention unsustainable shooting % (which we all laughed about but was a reality), and the fact he's having a bad season, doesn't go to the tough areas... I love Eberle but this kid should be prime trade bait. The only thing that sucks about him is his contract. Another stupid deal by Tambellini that will hurt his value.

Anyways, if this team ever want to be competitive, Gagner PRV and Ebs all have to go.
Ridiculous post.
He's having a down year in a shortened season and all of a sudden the league has him figured out, the ever so ridiculous unsustained argument gets brought up and he is now prime trade bait? Oh and his contract is stupid?
Just a ridiculous post.

I wonder what would have happened if the Blackhawks gave up on Patrick Kane in the offseason because he had one down season last year.
Really good young players hit rough patches every now and then and this is Eberle's rough patch. Watch him bounce back next season and shut down all this nonsensical trade Eberle mumob jumbo.

The Oilers don't NEED to trade Eberle. If they want to add size and toughness to their top 6, they trade Gagner because he has value and trade Hemsky and Paajarvi to create space for those players. There is absolutely no need right now to trade one of the Big 4 NONE.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:27 PM
jigglysquishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Then trade Gagner! Perfect solution! Smallest player gone. worst defensive player in the top 6 gone.

Gagner for Bogosian

sign Weiss, sign Horton.

Top 6 gets bigger, they get a #2C who can play defense and doesnt need to be sheltered and can put up 50-60 points, get a big winger who can also play C, and a big young top 3 Dman who can play any situation. upgrades for everyone!!!

Or we could just trade Eberle for Ryan Miller who some would see as an upgrade on Dubnyk but he has been a pile of poo the last 3 years and is 32, and has lots of miles on his frail little frame.
Jets don't touch that trade with a 10 foot pole.

Bogosian is the second most valuable Jets asset after Kane.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Brewster

If one had to go it would be Ebs. While Eberle's compete level this year has been atrocious, I have no desire to trade him unless a top defenseman comes back the other way.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Ridiculous post.
He's having a down year in a shortened season and all of a sudden the league has him figured out, the ever so ridiculous unsustained argument gets brought up and he is now prime trade bait? Oh and his contract is stupid?
Just a ridiculous post.

I wonder what would have happened if the Blackhawks gave up on Patrick Kane in the offseason because he had one down season last year.
Really good young players hit rough patches every now and then and this is Eberle's rough patch. Watch him bounce back next season and shut down all this nonsensical trade Eberle mumob jumbo.

The Oilers don't NEED to trade Eberle. If they want to add size and toughness to their top 6, they trade Gagner because he has value and trade Hemsky and Paajarvi to create space for those players. There is absolutely no need right now to trade one of the Big 4 NONE.
I will literally Paypal you $100.00 if Eberle hits 70 points next season or is in any way a hugely impactful straw that stirs the drink kind of player like he appeared to be in the previous one. How many of the same player do you want on this team going forward.

Rec28 was bang on with his posts and analysis (don't know if it was this or another thread). They've got some higher end players now - stars and gamebreakers, guys who have value but the mix of the team is preposterously off. Terrible balance. It's plain as day, anyone who has half a brain and watches a lot of hockey can tell something is wrong with the make up and balance of this team, it's not just terrible management. They finally have some pieces that could net them some good to great returns, pieces they actually need.

Not every team NEEDS 4 or 5 star to superstar level players. Tough decisions need to be made, bottom line. And please spare the comparison to Patrick Kane. Kane was a first overall pick who has always had elite skill and skating who is an all around threat, he also came into the league with one of the best 2way centres in the game in Toews, situations aren't remotely similar.

And I will add, I don't WANT to trade Eberle unless the right deal comes along. I do like the player but I want the best for the team. Hall and Yakupov could both already end up being PPG 40 goal scorers. Not to mention we haven't even talked about RNH who weighs about 180 lbs soaking wet, is only 19 and who is truly having a sophomore slump while playing a more valuable position.

Last edited by Philly85: 04-13-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old
04-13-2013, 04:04 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
I will literally Paypal you $100.00 if Eberle hits 70 points next season or is in any way a hugely impactful straw that stirs the drink kind of player like he appeared to be in the previous one. How many of the same player do you want on this team going forward.

Rec28 was bang on with his posts and analysis (don't know if it was this or another thread). They've got some higher end players now - stars and gamebreakers, guys who have value but the mix of the team is preposterously off. Terrible balance. It's plain as day, anyone who has half a brain and watches a lot of hockey can tell something is wrong with the make up and balance of this team, it's not just terrible management. They finally have some pieces that could net them some good to great returns, pieces they actually need.

Not every team NEEDS 4 or 5 star to superstar level players. Tough decisions need to be made, bottom line. And please spare the comparison to Patrick Kane. Kane was a first overall pick who has always had elite skill and skating who is an all around threat, he also came into the league with one of the best 2way centres in the game in Toews, situations aren't remotely similar.
Yes, i'm aware that the team needs balance in the top 6 badly but i don't get why Eberle is all of a sudden the sacrificial lamb? Based on what you say about him, he shouldn't have much value anyway since apparently last season was a fluke.

The only reason why you and some others want him to be traded is because it's typical HFOil reactionary stuff when a player starts struggling for a period. Hall was the guy to deal earlier in the season, Yakupov before he started playing better. Hell, even RNH as ridiculous as that sounds.
There was no talk of Eberle being dealt last season because he was doing well but the second a player starts to struggle, he immediately becomes expendable. So typical of this place.
I'm aware that he has struggled this season and yes, he has been disappointing with his effort but you don't deal a young player this good just because he has struggled for the first time in his career.

As i said before, i get that the team needs a facelift and needs more toughness but you don't deal a player like Eberle so early in his development to do that. Gagner (who i'm sure has value), Hemsky and even Paajarvi should be the trade targets. Trading Eberle now would be foolish. We're not getting a #1 defenseman for him so what's the point?
Also, who replaces Eberle? Hemsky? Excuse me while i barf at that thought.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Stoneman89

In keeping with this insanity, can someone please start a poll about trading either Hall or Schultz?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:

Do you have any posts on this from last year when he was lighting it up? Because then I'd be impressed at your foresight. Or did you just cherry pick and jump on the bandwagon when he's having a tough year?

Old
04-13-2013, 07:02 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
In keeping with this insanity, can someone please start a poll about trading either Hall or Schultz?
Nick Schultz, AINEC.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
I don't see it as a panic move will a top 6 of:
Hall; RNH; Eberle
PRV; Gagner; Yak
Will that top 6 be able to beat teams like LA, STL, or CHI
Even if you replace PRV it won't help.
Eventually they will. This team needs to replace guys on the bottom six and Hemsky (and possibly Gagner) at the top, not the elite kids. Smyth and co. are no match for Nolan, etc.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Nick Schultz, AINEC.
Haha, very funny. Forgot to stick a J. in front of his name. Although I guess it could be Bryan Hall too, right?

Old
04-13-2013, 08:59 PM
rockinghockey

I would rather see Gagner moved for a bigger centreman but we just don't have one that can take his spot.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:51 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Haha, very funny. Forgot to stick a J. in front of his name. Although I guess it could be Bryan Hall too, right?
That would make for a much tougher decision!

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:14 AM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Exactly how many centers in the NHL can push RNH to the second line? Don't kid yourself, we have 0% chance of landing someone like Tavares/Giroux.
RNH has 3 goals??...he is a very good 20 yr old center....but he might not be ready to be a true dominant 2way #1 for another yr or 2

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:13 AM
rockinghockey

Fans last year were yellling out to play the kids more and give them a bigger role. This year they wonder why they are not performing like they did last year. The next two years is going to be a huge development time for this team. If this team is going to keep Eberle and Yak then we will have to move out PRV, Gagner and Hemsky. We just players that will play in the muck and get in the goalies face. The hardest part is finding two players to play in the top 6, fill out the bottom 6 with the proper players and get that top pairing dman.

I think it will be easy enough to fill the bottom six but it is the two positions in the top 6 that will be hard to get. Maybe trading our 2014 1st and prospects for Ott and Ehrhoff. Both players are the type of players that we need on this team. I would even be ok with having Ott play as the 2C next year to get that grit in the top 6.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Fans last year were yellling out to play the kids more and give them a bigger role. This year they wonder why they are not performing like they did last year. The next two years is going to be a huge development time for this team. If this team is going to keep Eberle and Yak then we will have to move out PRV, Gagner and Hemsky. We just players that will play in the muck and get in the goalies face. The hardest part is finding two players to play in the top 6, fill out the bottom 6 with the proper players and get that top pairing dman.

I think it will be easy enough to fill the bottom six but it is the two positions in the top 6 that will be hard to get. Maybe trading our 2014 1st and prospects for Ott and Ehrhoff. Both players are the type of players that we need on this team. I would even be ok with having Ott play as the 2C next year to get that grit in the top 6.
they're already established players who will have been in the league for over 3 years. Eberle and Hall (the kids who have lead the charge) will have had 2, maybe 3 new coaches already in the pro ranks with extended off-seasons playing a variety of different kinds and levels of hockey. Can only develop for so long. They are young but in their early 20's, where star players in the NHL these days typically create some separation between themselves and their peers if they've really been pegged as being/becoming star players and game breakers. The only guys who I'm really worried about in terms of their development are RNH and Yakupov, they're both still young enough where it's an excuse. Especially RNH. Eberle and Hall, it's time for them to sack up and dominate when and if they can, make right plays and mature as players, become the players they were meant to be. Yeah it's early on the in grander scheme of their careers but this is a youth driven league now where we see the majority of teams having success are owning younger cores. The Oilers have had 3 first overall picks in the past 3 years, with Eberle, Schultz, Gagner and MPS to a lesser extent being those good secondary youth support pieces. Tough decisions need to be made.

Old
04-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

wow has eberle dropped or what?, what happened? you guys absolutely adored him.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:19 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
wow has eberle dropped or what?, what happened? you guys absolutely adored him.
Spent too much time this summer hanging around plugs like Keith Ballard and Jordan Schroeder. Some of their suck mustve rubbed off on him.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Qrispy

Interesting poll. I thought it would be a bit more divided but I honestly think Yakupov will be the best of the 4.

Eberle was highly sheltered under Renney and now there is none of that with Krueger. Pretty big adjustment for him but I thought he would handle it better than he has shown. Also, there is the contract. I think he's a little overpaid at 6 mil. He needs to do a lot of work in the off-season to be able to match up against the NHL's best consistently.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 07:50 PM
rockinghockey

Even though PRV has size he does not play the way we need him to. He goes to the net but when he does hit it is just a rub. He stands in front of the net but he has to be aggressive. That is not his game. We have to move PRV, Gagner, and Hemsky but I know that wont happen. Next year is going to be very frustrating again.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:58 PM
ales83fan

eberle for letang/pietro?

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote