HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What a horrible game

Old
04-13-2013, 10:28 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
That game was a better effort than against Montreal, but that's not saying much.
The issue wasn't them, it was them AND the Flyers both playing terrible hockey. Imagine cloning the Sabres performance from the Hab game and pitting clone against clone.

04-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The issue wasn't them, it was them AND the Flyers both playing terrible hockey. Imagine cloning the Sabres performance from the Hab game and pitting clone against clone.
Clone wars! As expected the side wielding the Sith Lord came out on top.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:08 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

I was on a plane all day so I couldn't see the game, and was planning on watching the replay to see Ruhwedel play, but it sounds like it may not even be worth it...

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:15 AM
Sentrix

G -
Enroth
Weber/Ruhwedel pairing

B -
Everything else

U -
The Flyers... somehow, they're worse than us.

Sentrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:32 AM
Girgenburger

G: -Enroth. He has really shown that he can bounce back after being winless for an amount of starts I can't even remember. I think he gets another start or even two before season's end. If he keeps up this level of play, I'm guessing it becomes inevitable (if it isn't already) that Miller gets pushed out the door this summer.

-Kaleta fight. Welcome to the NHL.

-I'm not gonna front, Ruhwedel looked composed and confident in his defensive reads. Too early to gush over the kid, but a solid first showing.

-Porter's really grown on me. Hardworking and exudes solid work ethic. A while back I mentioned I didn't think he'd be in our plans next year. At this point I wouldn't mind him staying around for 4th line duty...but I can see him losing a roster spot to Larsson or Armia.

-Suppose Ennis was alright. Effort's there, results are not.

B: -Man, that Philly team REALLY blows. They're clearly much more of a mess than Buffalo right now, and at this current time it's pretty difficult to out-suck us. This game wasn't fun to watch at any point. Laviolette's done behind that bench by season's end.

-The fact that it seemed like neither team cared to win that much. This game was downright pathetic.

-Vanek. Some would say he had a good shot or two and made a few nice passes, but this dude is clearly mentally somewhere else and playing through pain on top of that. It completely seems like the wind has been taken out of his sails. He looks completely discouraged. Purely speculation, but could it be possible that management has already spoken to Vanek, and Thomas didn't like what he heard about the next year or two? I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Vanek gets traded this summer either.

-Stafford. At this point I'd rather have a healthy Leino over him. Have a feeling these are his last games in a blue and gold jersey. I don't expect to get much more than a 2nd for him when the time finally comes. He's been doing absolutely nothing for quite a while and it's not going unnoticed around the league.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 04:08 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Liked the team defense overall. But what a sloppy game. Just watched. Nothing much to say from me.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 05:34 AM
Imlach a cup

Porter = Matt Ellis 3 years ago

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 06:01 AM
TheHoff

It looked like that Philly lost on purpose in this game.

TheHoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:37 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Anybody who thinks this game tells you anything about Sabres is dreaming. It's really hard to believe how bad this team has become. We have just terrible talent in the bottom half of lineup. Guys like Gerbe/Flynn/Porter are AHLers and it's asking too much of them to outplay opposition night in night out. The fixable problem is why our top talent like Ennis/Stafford/Myers have been terrible on an ongoing basis. Can a coach change them? I was really willing to give Rolston an opportunity but the results show he's not getting it done despite slightly better record. We've won a few more tight games with him but special teams continues to be wretched and that's where coaches make their mark. I'm done with RR.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Hal2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
G: -Enroth. He has really shown that he can bounce back after being winless for an amount of starts I can't even remember. I think he gets another start or even two before season's end. If he keeps up this level of play, I'm guessing it becomes inevitable (if it isn't already) that Miller gets pushed out the door this summer.

-Kaleta fight. Welcome to the NHL.

-I'm not gonna front, Ruhwedel looked composed and confident in his defensive reads. Too early to gush over the kid, but a solid first showing.

-Porter's really grown on me. Hardworking and exudes solid work ethic. A while back I mentioned I didn't think he'd be in our plans next year. At this point I wouldn't mind him staying around for 4th line duty...but I can see him losing a roster spot to Larsson or Armia.

-Suppose Ennis was alright. Effort's there, results are not.

B: -Man, that Philly team REALLY blows. They're clearly much more of a mess than Buffalo right now, and at this current time it's pretty difficult to out-suck us. This game wasn't fun to watch at any point. Laviolette's done behind that bench by season's end.

-The fact that it seemed like neither team cared to win that much. This game was downright pathetic.

-Vanek. Some would say he had a good shot or two and made a few nice passes, but this dude is clearly mentally somewhere else and playing through pain on top of that. It completely seems like the wind has been taken out of his sails. He looks completely discouraged. Purely speculation, but could it be possible that management has already spoken to Vanek, and Thomas didn't like what he heard about the next year or two? I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Vanek gets traded this summer either.

-Stafford. At this point I'd rather have a healthy Leino over him. Have a feeling these are his last games in a blue and gold jersey. I don't expect to get much more than a 2nd for him when the time finally comes. He's been doing absolutely nothing for quite a while and it's not going unnoticed around the league.
Isn't that obvious? Leino was easily the best Sabre when he came back. People will always complain about his contract but theres no doubt this guy is a decent player...at least better than stafford.

Hal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
You watched that **** show and actually thought "wow they play harder in front of Enroth"? Who?
I've seen corpses that gave more of **** than they did. Saying three people played hard doesn't equal "Zomg dayz hat Mylar!"
There's a difference between playing hard, and playing hard and getting things done. Plenty of folks work hard but don't get much done. That's how I view the Sabres right now. I see plenty of folks playing hard, but they aren't getting much done.

The only players on the ice yesterday who won puck battles were Ennis, Ehrhoff, Sekera, Hodgson, and Pysyk. Guys like Porter, Flynn, Ott, Gerbe, Kaleta, Scott, Pardy, Weber, and Ruhwedel all competed, but they aren't high end, or even middle, level skill players. They don't win their share of battles. That's not even talking about skills, like passing, which the Sabres are also not doing well at. So you get an ultra sloppy game on the Sabres part.

Sloppy doesn't equal lack of effort. Sloppy, for the Sabres, means lack of skill. The team is loaded with players that would be on the 4th line, at best, or in the AHL for any of the high end teams in the league. How many of the Sabres could play for Chicago? Anaheim? Pittsburgh? Effort is great, but it goes hand-in-hand with skill. The Sabres' skill level is terrible right now.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:01 AM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Porter = Matt Ellis 3 years ago
I think Porter has more a scoring touch than Ellis though.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:25 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
I think Porter has more a scoring touch than Ellis though.
And he is faster

I wonder if the Foligno experiment at center continues today. At least it would be something to watch since I'll be at the game.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:27 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Ehrhoffs blast:

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote