HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2013, 06:34 AM
Aceekay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
We sold when Halak was high but we didn't get the return we should have. We got a mid 1st rounder with 2nd line potential for a hot goalie who was #1 starter material.

Look at what Colorado paid. We got hosed on that deal. Halak should have gotten us more.
Ya I'm not gonna lie, I really like eller he's definitely a second at the very least but they should have added a first or defense prospect

Old
04-14-2013, 06:37 AM
macavoy

Remember the Red Wings game? 9 goals?

Great goalies will have games like last night. Patrick Roy retired early because he couldn't stand not being the best, being average wasn't good enough for him. If he couldn't "carry" the Avs, he didn't want to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The letting two goals thing in a short period of time is a function of the team, not Price. You'd be hard pressed to find a scenario when he let in two bad goals in a game, let alone back to back in short intervals..
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy
This is not entirely true. Goaltending is largely mental, the difference between a good .910 performance and an amazing .935 performance is being in the zone and seeing plays. Unless you've played goal, it's tough to explain.

You can't just choose to be in the zone.

It's easy for a good goalie to lose concentration after a goal is scored on you if something affected you in that goal, aka someone bumped you illegally or your teammate made a bad play. These things can throw you off and you can still not make a mistake on the next play but not being in the zone can stop you from not making an amazing unexpected save.

That's why they say goalies are the most superstitious person on a team, a good goalie will create for himself, a million habits so he can find a way to continually put himself back in concentration mode.
Tonight was a night where he just wasn't in the zone, he let goals in. It happens.

Be thankful that he let it out of his system in one game rather than spread out over 2 or 3 games.

I often disagree with whitesnake but his analysis of the Price situation is spot on.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:39 AM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Yeah but aside from this season Cam Ward is pretty reliable and he performs well in the playoffs too. I think it'll come down to Price, Ward and Luongo

Trade Price and do what? Lose in round 1? Ride Budaj next season and miss the playoffs? He's not a starter and he can't handle 60+ games the way Price can...and if we're going to go and replace Price then get ready to give 6.5m to another goalie for multiple years. People seem to keep forgetting over and over again that he's only 25 and he's the 8th youngest goalie to hit 300 career games...give him time, don't chase him out before we've seen the best he has to offer.
I been hearing that he only a kid for the past 6 years and quite frankly enough. This guy is bipolar to the extreme he playing amazing for a month then he crap the bed for a week.
Let recap Carey Price recent history with the Habs. Gainey had to fire Carbonneau because he trusted Huet more who they traded for nothing because he wanted to anoint Price they won a round and lost to the Flyers. He lost his starting spot the next season to Halak who got hot for three month and then got lit up to the same Flyers. Gauthier now the new GM trade Halak and get decent value to once again anoint Price. He rebounded with a six spot finish and an early exit to the Bruins. Then last year well I rather never talk about last year but I give Price a pass on last year.

The problem is you don't get anointed starting goaltender in the NHL you have to take the spot and hold on to it. Get him a shrink, get him the hell out of Mtl I don't care but let stop pretending that everything OK with this guy.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:43 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
We sold when Halak was high but we didn't get the return we should have. We got a mid 1st rounder with 2nd line potential for a hot goalie who was #1 starter material.

Look at what Colorado paid. We got hosed on that deal. Halak should have gotten us more.
When, in the last two decades, has any team gotten more for a goalie than we got for Halak?

There is no precedent in the trade history of the NHL for st louis adding a first. Goalie trade returns are not as high as returns for second pairing dmen.

Halak fetched more than Varlameov, btw. I definitely take a rapidly progressing 13th overall, picked two seasons prior, over a Colorado pick that can be anywherein the 5 to 20 range.

Last edited by DAChampion: 04-14-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old
04-14-2013, 06:43 AM
TennisMenace

Imagine what the score would have been if CP was not removed. Ill bet he hugged coach when he was removed.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:51 AM
macavoy

[QUOTE=DAChampion;63926515
Halak fetched more than Varlameov, btw. I definitely take a rapidly progressing 13th overall, picked two seasons prior, over a Colorado pick that can be anywherein the 5 to 20 range.[/QUOTE]

Given Timmons draft history, I take a potential bottom 5 Avs pick plus a 2nd rounder over Eller.

But I'm patient and willing to wait 3-4 years.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:07 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
K well who has more pressure? Enlighten me, the only athletes close to carey are qb's who pay for big franchises
To the other poster: NHL goalies by far. NFL QB. Joke. They are not last line of D.

You ever played nets? It's gut wrenching. Cold half the time, and then facing a ****ing onslaught that in the NHL cannot be believed.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:11 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
Are you serious??

Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Kevin Durant
Chris Paul
Lionel Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo
Gareth Bale
Carmelo Anthony
Robin Van Persie
Xavi
Iniesta
Wayne Rooney
Andrea Pirlo
Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Fernando Torres
Luis Suarez
Joe Flaco
Rogers (GreenBay QB)
Sidney Crosby
Alexander Ovechkin
Henrik Lundqvist

and many many many others .. Price is not even close to leading in pressure.
Basketball. You seriously just put basketball players into this conversation. OMG. Basketball is a freak show joke. It's an awful game. You cannot be serious.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:17 AM
TennisMenace

9 games this year Habs goalies have let in 5 or more goals. How many of those 9 games did CP start?

Brw, 9 out of 41 total games is wayyyyyyy to much.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:24 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
9 games this year Habs goalies have let in 5 or more goals. How many of those 9 games did CP start?

Brw, 9 out of 41 total games is wayyyyyyy to much.
Price is a high/low goalie.

You will get stellar performances or terrible ones. There's really no in between with him. His stellar performances are more frequent than his terrible ones. The fanboys only recognize the stellar perfromances and the haters only recognize the terrible ones.

Old
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
My point has been made. He sounds like a guy who doesn't watch a sport outside of hockey. Pirlo IS the QB of Milan, Juventus and the Italian National Team. If you think Habs have pressure ...imagine the pressure of a nation like italy on your back.

You think Montreal is crazy about hockey? Imagine Liverpool and their soccer team. If Suarez doesn't score, its' game over!

Rooney has the pressure of United on him + of England as a whole.

Iniesta and Xavi, I was thinking more about Spain than anything else.

To say Price leads in pressure is RIDICULOUS!

Real Madrid, Manchester United, Juventus, Milan, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Barcelona, Bayern players are scrutinized much more. Don't forget that it's also an international sport, more media (yes more than habs journalist) and they also get exposed to Champions League pressure

Then you got the Lakers market, the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Knickerbockers .... FUGGETABOUTIT!

Then you got players who are unknown but have pressure that you don't even imagine. For example, Younis Mahmoud, the captain of the Iraqi National Team. The best player must deal with so much crap but still attempt to lead a nation's soccer team. Didier Drogba in Ivory Coast, etc...
Wrong. You're confusing context with the realities of playing a certain position in pro sport. Yeah, fair enough, an Italian national striker is under a lot of pressure, but he is not ALONE.

If a striker fails to score, some one else on the club just might.

If an NHL goaltender ****s up. There is no second goalie to help him out.

Ice hockey goaltenders are completely alone. Completely. And they are last line of D.

Price faces huge pressure. Huge.

Old
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
For a solution, there's got to be a problem.

The problem tonight is our lack of size. This game screamed out for a Clowe or Hartnell on our top 2 lines. With Desharnais, Gionta and Gallagher we're gonna have problems in game like this.
We were down 3-0 after 4 shots. Clowe and Hartnell good shot blockers?

Nothing wrong with this team. We play just fine against the Bruins. Price just needs to give us a chance.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:28 AM
JohnnyB11

Lol I guess I should have known better than to check this thread out. CP had a bad game. It happens. To all goalies. Why there are those who figure they should expect perfection from every player every game is beyond me. One tip for you folks - THERE ARE NO PLAYERS LIKE THAT. The reaction is laughable.

On to the next game.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:28 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Cost View Post
You are not serious man....

Messi, the guy has won an infinite number of personal and team trophies year after year.. he has won the champions league with Barca 3 times !!

This year when Barca lost 2-0 againts Milan in the first leg every one was trashing him for not showing up... and that was probably his only bad game ...in his career.

The proof that Price has almost no pressure in mtl is that its been 6 years he has won nothing and theres still people who blindly defend him
We are talking about pressure on particular positions and contexts in pro sport, not achievements. You have completely misunderstood this conversation.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:32 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
I'm a chelsea fan you're way off, Torres isn't even the player with most pressure on his team, mata,hazard, terry, cech all have more pressure than Torres. Torres is just a better version of Gomez overpaid for him and everyone hates him, chelsea fans want to like him but he's been very inconsistent and underwhelming since coming over.
Talkin about going particular when the discussion is general.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:34 AM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
Lol I guess I should have known better than to check this thread out. CP had a bad game. It happens. To all goalies. Why there are those who figure they should expect perfection from every player every game is beyond me. One tip for you folks - THERE ARE NO PLAYERS LIKE THAT. The reaction is laughable.

On to the next game.
The problem is that its not "one bad game". This season its been one bad game every five or six games mixed in with some average ones.

He's been underperforming all year (to the point that he's cost us points in the standings) , and discussion is warranted.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:37 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
See, this is where I just wonder....He got it done already? People who keeps protecting him are just overdoing it sometimes. A guy who saw 1 2nd round in 5 years has already done it?....Okay. You see the greatness of a player in the playoffs. People keeps craping and laughing at Joe Thornton 'cause he's choking in playoffs despite his 400 points each regular season.....I hope we can analyze also a goalie's based on playoffs performances....And getting it really done has to include playoffs.
Thornton doesn't have the will to win, Price doesn't play well in pressure games. Kind of comparing apples to oranges there.

But, overall Price needs a good playoff this year or Habs needs to start looking at other options. He'll be 26, veteran of 300+ NHL games, if he can't under pressure by now chances are strong he never will. This is a make or break year on Price!

Old
04-14-2013, 07:41 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
I been hearing that he only a kid for the past 6 years and quite frankly enough. This guy is bipolar to the extreme he playing amazing for a month then he crap the bed for a week.
Let recap Carey Price recent history with the Habs. Gainey had to fire Carbonneau because he trusted Huet more who they traded for nothing because he wanted to anoint Price they won a round and lost to the Flyers. He lost his starting spot the next season to Halak who got hot for three month and then got lit up to the same Flyers. Gauthier now the new GM trade Halak and get decent value to once again anoint Price. He rebounded with a six spot finish and an early exit to the Bruins. Then last year well I rather never talk about last year but I give Price a pass on last year.

The problem is you don't get anointed starting goaltender in the NHL you have to take the spot and hold on to it. Get him a shrink, get him the hell out of Mtl I don't care but let stop pretending that everything OK with this guy.
You do realize he's human right? He's amazing for a month and bad for a week? So he's amazing 12 out of 15 games and you're saying there's something not OK with him? You do realize your argument is flawed right? Goalies aren't meant to be perfect every game. 12 out of 15 is pretty damn good.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:42 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
The problem is that its not "one bad game". This season its been one bad game every five or six games mixed in with some average ones.

He's been underperforming all year (to the point that he's cost us points in the standings) , and discussion is warranted.
I have to agree with this at this point.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:43 AM
BLONG7

Price wasn't ready for last night, very unlike him...he will respond in his next game, and going forward...

Old
04-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
I liked Halak. I did. Might have even chosen him instead of Price depending of the return but geez people...can we keep this guy AWAY from this thread. It has nothing to do with it now. Welcome to today's reality. In the end, we have to wish that Price ends up the goalie we THINK he'll be. If not, and if we can't pick up through draft another one...we are in big freakin trouble. No matter how great we could become for the rest of the team.

If not, well you have to deal him to a WESTERN team....with an upcoming future very good goalie.....and there are not a lot of them out there frankly. And it would be a BIG risk. Like Magnus Hellberg for example. Or John Gibson and even him I have my reservations....John Campbell? Probably not. Matt Hackett? Frederik Andersen? Geez, the best options may be in freakin Boston...where they have Rask, Khudobin, Subban and Svedberg...how the **** did they ended up with probably 4 future starters in their team? So, since trading with Boston won't happen, there are not a lot of options frankly and you CANNOT have a Roy type of trade. They will need to freakin overpay....Hey maybe trade him to St-Louis for Jake Allen. I don't know...would be fun to have a Price-Halak reunion....

Honestly, the BEST scenario and probalby the only one is to see him succeed. Even if we prefered Halak, even if we don't think he's elite, he HAS to be good enough to just be that....good enough. And then surround him with a great team so that we go where we're suppose to go even if he doesn't become the saviour he was suppose to. 'Cause honestly everything else will be a failure unless Bergevin is able to pull off the deal of the century and frankly...it will be tough. 'Cause again...where's the backup plan as far as who gets this freakin #1 in Montreal...And please don't say Budaj....please.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:51 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Price is a high/low goalie.

You will get stellar performances or terrible ones. There's really no in between with him. His stellar performances are more frequent than his terrible ones. The fanboys only recognize the stellar perfromances and the haters only recognize the terrible ones.
No one has been able to answer my question yet, but 9 out of 41 games where we let in 5 or more goals is astonishing. That is more than 20% of our games. I imagine CP started most of those games. This is why many fans, including me, realize we cannot count on him to be a STUD. He isn't one. He's okay, that's all.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Thornton doesn't have the will to win, Price doesn't play well in pressure games. Kind of comparing apples to oranges there.

But, overall Price needs a good playoff this year or Habs needs to start looking at other options. He'll be 26, veteran of 300+ NHL games, if he can't under pressure by now chances are strong he never will. This is a make or break year on Price!
You have to love when people thinks exactly what players are thriving for. We don't know what's happening in the room, we surely have no idea what's happening in their head. Perceptions is reality and whether it comes from a lack of effort, a lack of talent or a lack of composure, end-results need to be there. Now...make it or break it this year? Nope. Not a shortened season. Where preparation wasn't the same. Where you actually were unable to see exactly what he's now made of in a regular schedule, against Western teams and so on. Nothing will happen this year. Next year? Let's not wish to see what could happen 'cause again....we won't be at the great end of things.....Teams will see us coming from a mile....some will have now their own reservations towards him and so on. They shouldn't, but some will. Add the fact that it's IMPOSSIBLE to ship him in the East, at least impossible for me, and you cut your possibilities to some. Also.....does Carey have a NMC or NTC? Might cut AGAIN the possibilities, hence the "chance" to relive a Roy episode that will AGAIN make us go back for another 10 years. This will be utterly inacceptable.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:02 AM
Gary320

I have a feeling, this kinda of terrible start is exactly what Price needed to get a little fire under him. If it is, it's perfecting timing.

I do expect him to start Monday, as he should. If we were playing today, I'd put him in net today. You don't bench your number one goalie who had a rough start, he NEEDS to get back out there as soon as possible, so he can get over this game.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

And also, he's a victim of scenarios that he has close to nothing to do with. A goalie that is picked top 5 when nobody saw that coming. A goalie drafted while the goalie in place had already a Vezina and a Hart in bank. A goalie that won the Worlds, the AHL Championship even after playing only 2 regular seasons in that league (that he had something to do with). A player that was seen the #1 in his first year in the NHL 'cause we decided to trade for a pick the #1 goalie we had at the time. And a goalie that was chosen instead of the fan favorite, the guy that brought us to the 1st 3rd round in over 18 years....and people wonder why we're expecting excellence.....'cause we were told so by either his actions or his bosses' actions....

Closed Thread