HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
25th in save pct.

That's a problem.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:34 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
No one has been able to answer my question yet, but 9 out of 41 games where we let in 5 or more goals is astonishing. That is more than 20% of our games. I imagine CP started most of those games. This is why many fans, including me, realize we cannot count on him to be a STUD. He isn't one. He's okay, that's all.
I don't know how many games he started. I think he might have started all 9.

I don't think he's "okay". I think he's better than that, but it's hard to argue. The guy's save percentage is 26th in the league and yet we have many here that are trying to convince others that he's elite. He's not. He's a good, young, inconsistent goalie and I don't think we can completely count on him. You don't know which guy is going to show up. He's still young so he should be able to solidify his game as he gets older.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:45 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You have to love when people thinks exactly what players are thriving for. We don't know what's happening in the room, we surely have no idea what's happening in their head. Perceptions is reality and whether it comes from a lack of effort, a lack of talent or a lack of composure, end-results need to be there. Now...make it or break it this year? Nope. Not a shortened season. Where preparation wasn't the same. Where you actually were unable to see exactly what he's now made of in a regular schedule, against Western teams and so on. Nothing will happen this year. Next year? Let's not wish to see what could happen 'cause again....we won't be at the great end of things.....Teams will see us coming from a mile....some will have now their own reservations towards him and so on. They shouldn't, but some will. Add the fact that it's IMPOSSIBLE to ship him in the East, at least impossible for me, and you cut your possibilities to some. Also.....does Carey have a NMC or NTC? Might cut AGAIN the possibilities, hence the "chance" to relive a Roy episode that will AGAIN make us go back for another 10 years. This will be utterly inacceptable.
Come on...nobody can compare Price to Roy. Roy was a money goalie from the start. At 20, he took a weaker team than 2008 Habs to a Cup. This is not a Roy situation at all...Price is nothing close to 2 time Conn Smythe winner.

Price doesn't have a NTC or NMC clause. He's signed for next 5 years at 6.5 million cap hit. If they trade him best to get higher return east or west.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Come on...nobody can compare Price to Roy. Roy was a money goalie from the start. At 20, he took a weaker team than 2008 Habs to a Cup. This is not a Roy situation at all...Price is nothing close to 2 time Conn Smythe winner.

Price doesn't have a NTC or NMC clause. He's signed for next 5 years at 6.5 million cap hit. If they trade him best to get higher return east or west.
I wonder if Florida would let Markstrom go for Price, or Jack Campbell+ (say, Lehtonen for example... ) in Dallas. And yeah, I'm most probably overreacting, the last few games of Price were abysmal...

Old
04-14-2013, 10:08 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I don't know how many games he started. I think he might have started all 9.

I don't think he's "okay". I think he's better than that, but it's hard to argue. The guy's save percentage is 26th in the league and yet we have many here that are trying to convince others that he's elite. He's not. He's a good, young, inconsistent goalie and I don't think we can completely count on him. You don't know which guy is going to show up. He's still young so he should be able to solidify his game as he gets older.
I agree 100%. As much as he can frustrate me, I can live with him.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:21 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
I wonder if Florida would let Markstrom go for Price, or Jack Campbell+ (say, Lehtonen for example... ) in Dallas. And yeah, I'm most probably overreacting, the last few games of Price were abysmal...
It's a completely bad idea to assess him after he just played the worst game of his career.

He needs to get back to developing his skills in practice but in a shortened season, I don't think he's getting as many reps as he needs to keep his focus right now. He looked like he didn't know he was playing last night.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

The Roy comparison I'm making is the Roy trade. Just saying that if we boo him out of town or alienate him, we won't have the return that we think he should get, like Roy. Nowhere am I comparing both guys careers or whatever.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:25 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
It's a completely bad idea to assess him after he just played the worst game of his career.

He needs to get back to developing his skills in practice but in a shortened season, I don't think he's getting as many reps as he needs to keep his focus right now. He looked like he didn't know he was playing last night.
More like the puck kept squeaking throw his stiff new equipment. I'll mark two goals up to stiff equipment.

I have no idea why the team would let him go out there with brand new pads. I got yelled at so hard when I played all-star baseball and took a new glove onto on the field that I hadn't broken in. Coach hid my glove for the rest of the Provincials and I had to use my old junker. lol

Old
04-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
25th in save pct.

That's a problem.
Not really, we give up the 5th least shots in the league (27%) yet still give up a **** load of odd man rushes. Under Jacques Martin we'd give up a ton of shots from the outside which would increase the shots against and our goalies' save percentages.. just now we give up a lot less shots but still give up a lot of high quality scoring chances.

With a .912 save % that's giving up 2.4 goals per 27 shots which isn't bad at all considering how many odd man rushes and wide open scoring chances our team gives up.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:34 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
More like the puck kept squeaking throw his stiff new equipment. I'll mark two goals up to stiff equipment.

I have no idea why the team would let him go out there with brand new pads. I got yelled at so hard when I played all-star baseball and took a new glove onto on the field that I hadn't broken in. Coach hid my glove for the rest of the Provincials and I had to use my old junker. lol
I can't give the new equipment as the excuse. The second goal went between his thighs, he went into his VH and he didn't both trying to execute any save mechanisms, he fell into position but did not track the puck with his eyes or adjust to the location of the shot.

The third goal went underneath his body, stiff leg pads or not, they're going to react the same to a slow squeaker along the ice, get down and deflect the puck away with your stick. It was bad mechanics there and once again, he didn't visually track the puck.

He wasn't mentally prepared to play tonight. For whatever reason and it showed. I'd put Budaj in next game and shackle Price to the practice ice with Groulx until he gets his puck tracking and focus back in place. Form and technique is there but the execution is off.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:34 AM
durojean

What we have to realize is that he proved he could be a 1 goalie in this league. He has room to develop and he is big he moves well in the net ( always look sharp even when he isn't ) and he is very young, plus his value around the league seems to be really high. So he does merit his salary because of those thing.

In my opinion, his value exceed what he brings and that in itself is really concerning. Plus, in his career , he never really did nothing to calm my doubt.
But... I for one, believe he is way too inconsistent and he seems to crumble in times where he needs to be clutch more often then not. What is scaring me the most is : what if he doesn't get any better ? In that case he'll cost us championship a la Luongo and we will miss our window because of goaltending while we think it's one of our strongest asset and that's the worst of it all.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Not sure that the new turtle style is helping him. Sorry but for a big goalie, he looks way too small in his net. You'd hope he would turn out to be a pretty hybrid goalie. Now he's just another butterfly one. But not even a regular butterfly, looks to me like a condensed one. And the day he doesn't have confidence, he's a condensed butterfly goalie deep in his net....That can't be good.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:36 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
What we have to realize is that he proved he could be a 1 goalie in this league. He has room to develop and he is big he moves well in the net ( always look sharp even when he isn't ) and he is very young, plus his value around the league seems to be really high. So he does merit his salary because of those thing.

In my opinion, his value exceed what he brings and that in itself is really concerning. Plus, in his career , he never really did nothing to calm my doubt.
But... I for one, believe he is way too inconsistent and he seems to crumble in times where he needs to be clutch more often then not. What is scaring me the most is : what if he doesn't get any better ? In that case he'll cost us championship a la Luongo and we will miss our window because of goaltending while we think it's one of our strongest asset and that's the worst of it all.
Save these types of posts for this years play-offs. We will see how Price responds there.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:37 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
The Roy comparison I'm making is the Roy trade. Just saying that if we boo him out of town or alienate him, we won't have the return that we think he should get, like Roy. Nowhere am I comparing both guys careers or whatever.
How can we control that...we can't keep giving up our springs waiting for him to learn to play under pressure. It's up to Price on the ice. If he flops in playoffs at 6.5 million caphit, his trade value is not at its highest.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:38 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Oh now the equipment is the excuse. Lol
I'm not a huge Price fanboy, I'm not going to stick my neck out for him when he sucks or when he plays really good. I see Price as a solid part of this club and a very good goalie, probably Top-10. He's got a habit of letting in terrible goals, but he usually keeps us in most games too.

I don't go into games expecting Price to steal them or to lose them. I expect him to give us a chance to win. And most nights, he does.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:38 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Not sure that the new turtle style is helping him. Sorry but for a big goalie, he looks way too small in his net. You'd hope he would turn out to be a pretty hybrid goalie. Now he's just another butterfly one. But not even a regular butterfly, looks to me like a condensed one. And the day he doesn't have confidence, he's a condensed butterfly goalie deep in his net....That can't be good.
One thing is for sure.. whether or not it's coaching or if it's Prices confidence level right now. He needs to be out on the top of the blue paint.

I'm relatively the same height as Price and when I was slumping, I realized when the play was coming to me, I'd slide back WITH my defenseman and get sucked back deep into my crease. I came out a little farther to start the play and made sure I stayed on the top of the blue paint until the puck got down below the face-off circles and my play extremely improved.

Price does need to get out and make his size that much more of an advantage. Make the shooters see nothing and force to pick corners, which will result in helping our transition game.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:42 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
Not really, we give up the 5th least shots in the league (27%) yet still give up a **** load of odd man rushes. Under Jacques Martin we'd give up a ton of shots from the outside which would increase the shots against and our goalies' save percentages.. just now we give up a lot less shots but still give up a lot of high quality scoring chances.

With a .912 save % that's giving up 2.4 goals per 27 shots which isn't bad at all considering how many odd man rushes and wide open scoring chances our team gives up.
So I guess Price's best season was a product of Martin's system, then.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Galchenyuk15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Cost View Post
Honestly? Get Halak back... I know the stats are not there this year but he got injured 2 times...

Sry mods I don't want to brg THAT subject back... but really Halak is expandable in St-Louis and has proven that he can do great things when its time plus last year and the year before and the year before that he was stats wise better than Price.

I know I will admit it I'm still ******** over that trade but stats wise Halak wouldn't be a bad choice plus we could get him for cheap.
Round 2? or maybe the comeback of Steve Penney

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
We sold when Halak was high but we didn't get the return we should have. We got a mid 1st rounder with 2nd line potential for a hot goalie who was #1 starter material.

Look at what Colorado paid. We got hosed on that deal. Halak should have gotten us more.
Common, this situation put out of context are legit but you need to remember the number of goalies available, UFA, the summer of the trade : Nabokov, Turco, Theodore, C. Mason, Biron, Lalime, Ellis, Hedberg, Auld, etc... and Halak get trade at the beginning of the month of June; the 17th I think, 2 weeks before UFA frenzy.

The goalie market for this year, 2010 summer, are close to abyssymal and the return for Halak, Eller, 27th prospect by the NHL at the time, and Schultz are very good in that context; former 1st and 3rd round. And remember the trade piss off Kerkalainen, scout chef of the Blues, and close time after that, he go back in Europe; before comeback with Columbus for DG.

Colorado receive a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick for Varlamov, 23 years old at the time and ex-1st round pick. The difference between the two trade the habs trade for 2 drafted players and by the same time they know what they receive in the trade. When you pick a drafted players you reduce the chance to drafted a bust player. Yeah, I know Schultz is a bust but you have a very better percentage to skip a bust/flop player with this strategy. The 1st pick of Colorado are give Filip Forsberg too Washington, very nice pick, but you never know if your gonna pick Hugh Jessiman or Claude Giroux with a undrafted picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
To people who say Price is elite ...well Brunet agrees with you!
I don't know on what planet do you live but I think the people they are pay for playing hockey and administrate hockey team know more about the game than you and Benoit Brunet. Go watch this : http://www.playerspoll.ca/results/20...lt-to-score-on

And I know you have more hockey knowledge than this guy because you are the reference and the guy they voted, only 318 members of the NHL, don't know how playing hockey, evaluate goalie or are simply Price friends ... Only in Montreal ...

Quote:
9 games this year Habs goalies have let in 5 or more goals. How many of those 9 games did CP start?

Brw, 9 out of 41 total games is wayyyyyyy to much.
Each player have good and bad streak. Price have an off year and have some problem of consistency this year; is a M-A Fleury clone this year aka Dr Jekyll, Mr Hyde you never know what man will be between the pipes. But in 2010-11 they put a streak of nineteen game without giving more than 3 goals. What I trying to tell it's for each bad streak/numbers you can find a good one.

Price have the same kind of year at Even Strength then normally, .925% in 2012-13, .918% in 2011-12 and .931% in 2010-11, but he is awful in special unit aka PP, .828% in 2012-13, .907% in 2011-12 and .886% in 2010-11. I really don't like the numbers but if I have to make a choice I prefer to pick the guys who stop the puck at Even Strength before special units; in a ideal word I pick the guy who save both; Budaj have .918% ES and .927% PP but I didn't think to pull out Price for Budaj because the numbers don't tell everything...

PS: And yeah, Price got a really awful game last night but is better now than in 3 weeks ..

Last edited by Galchenyuk15: 04-14-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old
04-14-2013, 10:49 AM
durojean

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Save these types of posts for this years play-offs. We will see how Price responds there.
I so hope he will respond good in the playoffs so I can eat crow and we could go far in them.

Right now, what I'm expecting of him is 3 or 4 good games that could go either way. 1 game where he'll be really good and 2 or 3 really winnable games that he'll lose for us. And in a 7 game series those 2 games will ultimately be our downfall.

But after those playoff a lot of you will be able to say: where were you in that game where he did good. Or they'll talk about the other games where it was close and we will win.

When ultimately the two games he will lose us in those playoff will be the real difference between going on for another round or be eliminated. So what I'm expecting really is a remake of the Montreal - Boston serie from 2 years ago.

We'll see what really happens.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Doc McKenna

Ouch. Last night wasn't good. For me its that Price has just never seemed clutch. He is an upgraded osgood, and we are not the 90's redwings so it simply isn't enough. I like price, the problem is gomez like in he is being paid way too much for a good goalie. GOOD, not great and not elite. Good means starter. Not clutch goalie that bails out the team.

Everytime I see an oddman rush I get nervous watching, and its getting to the point that simple point shots without traffic look like they are going to beat our anointed one.

My question is how does the team play in front of him after this. Do they get that feeling in their stomach they have to play tighter and we go into more of a martin shell, which makes this style of team ineffective? Confidence in your goalie changes your style of play-for good or bad. I would have to say, even if not said aloud, some players would have a few question about heading into the playoffs after our recent games. Price HAS to have 2 one man shows in the next 8 games for the team to feel he is ready for the post season. As it stands we will be going in with a good team surrounded by questions about netminding that shouldn't be there. They have to play price because as good as budajs game has been, he won't pull off a halak type performance. Price needs at the very least to keep our team in it till the 6th game of the second round.

Hope he proves me wrong, but I think we could see an early exit depending on a few of the things MT does in the post season. Chaing our powerplay would be a starter. I am not happy with our present powerplay of plecs line for 1:30 when we are suppose to have three '2nd lines'. In fact plecs gets too many minutes for my liking most of the time, plays the perimeter and rarely passes for a playmaker with two shooters for wingers. Doesn't give one confidence heading tinot the post season. There are more than just price that will have to show some spine in the post season. Gallagher shouldn't be one of the only guys that goes to the front of the net.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:00 AM
ryanwb

Quote:
9 games this year Habs goalies have let in 5 or more goals. How many of those 9 games did CP start?

Brw, 9 out of 41 total games is wayyyyyyy to much.
For the record, I only counted 8.

Budaj started 2 of those, one of which realistically doesn't count as 5+ because the 5th goal was in a shootout.

The rest were all started by Price. So he has 6 games started where we gave up 5 or more. He didn't finish 2 of those games though, getting pulled last night, and the most recent game against Boston. The 5th goal against Philly was into an empty net.

He also has 13 games where he has given up 1 goal or less, and an additional 6 where he has given up only 2.

So 19 starts have been above average to excellent. The remaining 14 ranging from either mediocre to awful.

I still think he is an elite goalie. He has been quite inconsistent this year though.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
I'm not a huge Price fanboy, I'm not going to stick my neck out for him when he sucks or when he plays really good. I see Price as a solid part of this club and a very good goalie, probably Top-10. He's got a habit of letting in terrible goals, but he usually keeps us in most games too.

I don't go into games expecting Price to steal them or to lose them. I expect him to give us a chance to win. And most nights, he does.
Most starters provide that. Those are some low standards. Which is fine to have low standards for your goalie. But we don't need to pay 6.5M for that privilege and claim the guy is a superstar elite goalie IMO.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Habtchum*

Quote:

I am sure Calgary or Edmonton would love to have him. And Carey would thrive in his homeland, wearing his cowboy hat and boots whenever he wants.

Price for their first draft pick anytime !

Old
04-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
I am sure Calgary or Edmonton would love to have him. And Carey would thrive in his homeland, wearing his cowboy hat whenever he wants.

Price for their first draft pick anytime !
But..
Quote:
Carey Price was born in Vancouver, British Columbia but was raised in the remote town of Anahim Lake in northern British Columbia.

Anyway, he's staying in Montreal. He's going to be an elite goaltender in this game, rather he falls and gets back up in Montreal, than do it somewhere else.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Doc McKenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post
For the record, I only counted 8.

Budaj started 2 of those, one of which realistically doesn't count as 5+ because the 5th goal was in a shootout.

The rest were all started by Price. So he has 6 games started where we gave up 5 or more. He didn't finish 2 of those games though, getting pulled last night, and the most recent game against Boston. The 5th goal against Philly was into an empty net.

He also has 13 games where he has given up 1 goal or less, and an additional 6 where he has given up only 2.

So 19 starts have been above average to excellent. The remaining 14 ranging from either mediocre to awful.

I still think he is an elite goalie. He has been quite inconsistent this year though
Did you read what you wrote?

Closed Thread