HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Maurice Richard's Speed

Old
04-13-2013, 06:50 AM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Speed

Reading from post #37 onwards one gets the impression that speed magically appeared in the NHL at the start of the 1980s and disappeared with the passing of the 1990s.

Speed has been present since the start of hockey and a constant since hockey skates were standardized in the second half of the 1920s. May have taken a few years for players to transition to the standardized skates - Maurice Richard's generation being the first to learn the game on standardized skates, but NHL high end speed has been fairly constant since the start of the O6 era and the introduction of the Red Line. Just a question of the ability to use speed to attack and defend.

A few points.

Teemu Selanne missed all but 11 games of the 1989-90 season due to a leg injury so pre NHL his speed had been impacted.

Regardless of how the elements of speed are subdivided - agility, mobility, lateral, etc you still are left with the basic attractive speed(Andrew Cogliano) - productive speed distinction. Then you have dumb speed - Ron Flockhart or the ability to quickly make the wrong hockey move faster than others.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 07:46 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Something you didn't note, in this particular video, is that Coffey skates to within stick range of Bure and then basically "waterskis". He's not skating anymore after that point; just being pulled along. It's a good example of how Pavel could beat defensemen with his sudden speed (although he had help because the other Flyers defenseman fell down), but it's flawed as a comparison to other "high-level" skaters.
Especially considering Coffey had to turn and Bure only had to go straight. The fact Coffey caught up at all after having to swivel kind of discounts this example.

Not to mention Coffey was 35/36.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Especially considering Coffey had to turn and Bure only had to go straight. The fact Coffey caught up at all after having to swivel kind of discounts this example.

Not to mention Coffey was 35/36.
I agree with the other poster that said game in game out, shift in shift out, there was no one who could skate better and had more bursts than Coffey. So there is going to be the odd time in his career where you can find a clip of him getting outskated. It's like finding a clip of Bob Probert losing a fight. It's out there, somewhere. There was a time when Bobby Orr had Henri Richard blow by him in the 1971 playoffs and score a goal. It made Orr look flat-footed but that's just how that particular play looked. Sort of the same with the Bure/Coffey play we are talking about. Regardless of how great of a skater you are there are bound to be times when you are tired, at the end of a shift, hurt, or just flat out get fooled by someone with a burst of speed.

Not saying there is anything to be ashamed of having someone like Bure blow by you. I am just saying I don't think there was a better skater in NHL history than Coffey

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Then you have dumb speed - Ron Flockhart or the ability to quickly make the wrong hockey move faster than others.
... Geez ya, beyond a tonne a that going on.
Good eg in Ronnie Flockey Hockey Flockhart.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:05 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I am just saying I don't think there was a better skater in NHL history than Coffey
I agree.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 08:29 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
There was a time when Bobby Orr had Henri Richard blow by him in the 1971 playoffs and score a goal.
IIRC that wasn't the only time Orr looked bad that playoff against the Canadiens.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:33 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
At 2:33 is footage, I believe, of him skating from his own blue line to the opposing goal on a breakaway.
It's because he's skating towards the other team's net!

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
IIRC that wasn't the only time Orr looked bad that playoff against the Canadiens.
No, he didn't particularly look good in the 1971 playoffs. He still scored a lot, and even in Game 2 he had 4 points I believe, which made it look like the Bruins were pulling ahead for good. But then for some reason he just looked flat footed for the rest of the game and was on the ice for the Habs' goals. So if it can happen to Orr I suppose it can happen to anyone. No player is infallible.

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Cadienhomme
Rookie User

i read somewhere his speed and spirt from the blue line was crazy great

Cadienhomme is offline   Reply With Quote