HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2013, 10:19 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
While we dream of Seth Jones, if we don't get him, it's not like one of the top forwards in the draft wouldn't look bad if they get to play with Giroux for the next 10 years. And if it doesn't work, well then they can play with Schenn or Coots.

Also wouldn't be criminal of Couturier is the one who becomes a winger. So-called Malkin's Kryptonite did play a moderate amount of winger last year in the playoffs.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:45 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
...what?

Schenn has been playing center for some time, no?

In any case, the argument for moving Schenn to wing has nothing to do with his defensive ability--it is about clearing a top-six spot for Couturier and a 3rd line role for Laughton.
You can laugh all you want. In your post, Schenn is on the wing. Perhaps I should have been more clear. When I said "they" should get Schenn off the wing I meant the custom lineups around here. "They" being the figurative Flyers in proposals.

I'm not about sacrificing a player's development by taking him out of his natural role to make others better-- especially when he is developing still himself. Controlling the middle of the ice is as important in hockey as it is in chess. Other players can get moved to wing who aren't developing and keep a G-Schenn-Couts-Laughton down the middle.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Pretty unrealistic posts here. Resigning Gagne for 2 million? Buying out a guy you can waive or simply trade for futures (Mez)?

The best moves for value are alleviating yourself of Briere's and Mez's contacts to free up 10 million in cap. Resign legitimate value guys like Feds to 1 year contacts for around 1.7 (Gagne will not accept this I would imagine) who play strong roles and produce a good amount of points per their salary. Work on bringing up 1/2 AHL guy who is ready.

With Gus and Lauridsen: Keep grooming them with backend minutes -- get someone like Nurse or Risto -- flip a center for a legimiate defenseman (easier said than done). In one-two years if all goes well bring up Nurse/Risto.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Simon Gagne ($3.000m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Scott Laughton ($1.138m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.750m) / Adam Hall ($0.650m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.900m)
Tye McGinn ($0.775m) / Jay Rosehill ($0.650m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Erik Gustafsson ($1.000m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Brandon Gormley ($1.315m)
Kent Huskins ($0.750m) / Oliver Lauridsen ($0.800m)
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Steve Mason ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
Buyout: Danny Briere ($0.000m)
Buyout: Chris Pronger ($0.000m) (LTIR in reality-- just used it to make capgeek work)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.084% of upper limit)
Andrej Meszaros ($0.040m—1.0%) Sean Couturier ($0.014m—1.0%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,132,917; BONUSES: $3,037,500
CAP SPACE (26-man roster): $7,204,583

Big roster-- but some of those guys can be Phantoms/Not-Resigned/PressBox.
Draft Nurse/Risto/Top Ten Forward

Couts traded for Gromley / Runblad / another defenseman (unlikely, I know)

Last edited by Flyotes: 04-14-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old
04-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Krishna

Wait, you are trading couturier for Rundblad/Gormley/another D man AND retaining salary? You sure you weren't just see what the feature did?

Old
04-14-2013, 11:16 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Other players can get moved to wing who aren't developing and keep a G-Schenn-Couts-Laughton down the middle.
I have no problem with keeping Giroux, Schenn, and Couturier as a 1-2-3 punch, but then the team should trade Laughton--if not this offseason, then next. Keeping all four at center long-term is a waste of an asset, IMO

The post you initially responded to moved Schenn to LW because it also included Barkov--in this case, in the hypothetical situation in which we are drafting 5th and Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, and Nurse are off the board. If that's the case, I think you have to take Barkov, since he's a clear cut above Ristolainen and the remaining defenseman.

Should it play out that way, what do you propose to do?

Old
04-14-2013, 11:18 AM
TheCerebral1
Hockey Heaven

Lauridsen is awful. He should not ever be above Adirondack.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:22 AM
flyersfromquebec

Just to be clear...If the Flyers finish in the top 4 draft pick do you think they will take the best player available...Drouin/Mackinnon/Barkov??? or go with the need and take Nurse at 2nd 3rd or 4th???

I think if we manage to pick Drouin, Mackinnon or Barkov we could then trade one of laughton or couturier for a good D !!!

Old
04-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Wait, you are trading couturier for Rundblad/Gormley/another D man AND retaining salary? You sure you weren't just see what the feature did?
I think he wanted to remove their cap hits from the line-up without using the compliance buyout feature--so as not to confuse people. Thus, he only retained 1 percent of the cap hits for both players.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:31 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfromquebec View Post
Just to be clear...If the Flyers finish in the top 4 draft pick do you think they will take the best player available...Drouin/Mackinnon/Barkov??? or go with the need and take Nurse at 2nd 3rd or 4th???

I think if we manage to pick Drouin, Mackinnon or Barkov we could then trade one of laughton or couturier for a good D !!!
If we are drafing 2nd or 3rd be better be taking Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin. Thise three are a cut above the rest. While if we finished 5th i say we have to take Nurse there. 4th i think tha bpa is Barkov so id choose him.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
If we are drafing 2nd or 3rd be better be taking Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin. Thise three are a cut above the rest. While if we finished 5th i say we have to take Nurse there. 4th i think tha bpa is Barkov so id choose him.
Yup. Agreed.

The trickiest spot is 4th--if what some others have said is right, and Nurse really is rising on many draft boards, I suppose he could be rated better than Barkov--but you're getting a very good player either way.

Worst case scenario is that we pick 6th and Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, and Nurse are all off the board.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:36 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

If we pick 6th and jones, drouin, mackinnon, barkov and nurse are all gone, I say we package the pick for a young defenseman + a later 1st

Old
04-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Giroux It
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
If we pick 6th and jones, drouin, mackinnon, barkov and nurse are all gone, I say we package the pick for a young defenseman + a later 1st
If we pick 6th, NONE of those players will be available for sure

Old
04-14-2013, 11:45 AM
lowdesertpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
If you have a chance to draft top players like Lindholm and Nichuskin you do it.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:52 AM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Yup. Agreed.

The trickiest spot is 4th--if what some others have said is right, and Nurse really is rising on many draft boards, I suppose he could be rated better than Barkov--but you're getting a very good player either way.

Worst case scenario is that we pick 6th and Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, and Nurse are all off the board.
I just somehow wish to get the 1st overall or at least a top 3 pick. Then, we need to hope the organization has some patience especially if we get Jones or any d-man.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdesertpunk View Post
If you have a chance to draft top players like Lindholm and Nichuskin you do it.
I'd love Nichuskin, but more than likely the chances of him being taken by the flyers is close to 0.

I don't think Nurse is gone until 7-9 area though

I'd be fine with Monahan if they are drafting 6 and he is still there

Old
04-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux It View Post
If we pick 6th, NONE of those players will be available for sure
I don't know if that's true. Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, and Barkov will likely be gone, but Nurse could be there if some team jumps at Nichushkin or Lindholm or Monahan.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:55 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I 100% agree with Lindholm. The kid is skilled and already can play center and wing. Monahan I do question his offensive abilities. I feel that high up you have to take a player that can provide offense (if they play forward that is). I wouldn't be sad though if we took him.

Nichuskin, while I think he could be one of the most skilled players in the draft, the KHL thing for the next 3 years is iffy for a team who expects their top prospects to usually make the team in 1-2 years. I wouldnt be sad if we took him, but I can easily see him drop to 15th or so.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:58 AM
lowdesertpunk

Anybody think we could get a top 15 pick for Matt Read in the offseason?

A skilled forward with the first pick and one of Ristolainen, Morrisey or Pulock with the second.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:58 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I'd love Nichuskin, but more than likely the chances of him being taken by the flyers is close to 0.

I don't think Nurse is gone until 7-9 area though

I'd be fine with Monahan if they are drafting 6 and he is still there
Someone on the Prospects boards said Nichushkin stated that team of his choice in the NHL is Philadelphia. I bet fans are here would have a heart attack if they had to wait two full seasons to get him over.

Last edited by BillDineen: 04-14-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old
04-14-2013, 12:01 PM
lowdesertpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Someone on the Prospects boards said Nichushkin stated that team of his choice in the NHL is Philadelphia. I bet fans are here would have a heart attack if they had to wait to full seasons to get him over.
Nichushkin is the perfect fit for Giroux.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Krishna

Quote:

A skilled forward with the first pick and one of Ristolainen, Morrisey or Pulock with the second.
Nope.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:06 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Someone on the Prospects boards said Nichushkin stated that team of his choice in the NHL is Philadelphia. I bet fans are here would have a heart attack if they had to wait to full seasons to get him over.
I dont know so much the fans then the organization. This is the same organization that loves to play 18 yr olds or within 2-3 years. I dont think you have to worry about us but the team instead.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Krishna

Quote:
I know the user that posted that and to be honest, I'd likely disregard his post. The guy is in a chat that I am in and acts like he is a KHL insider all the time. He's just a writer for some small paper not far from Chelyabinsk.

This past season he and I were discussing the KHL and he told me to disregard anything the heads of the KHL say because they don't know what they are talking about and I should listen to him because he knows everything about it.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:09 PM
Krishna

Sa Cyred, wasn't it a 2 year deal that Nichuskin signed?

Old
04-14-2013, 12:13 PM
flyershockey

Quote:

No. Read is a complimentary player... a damn good one, but a complimentary player nonetheless. Teams aren't going to trade a potential cornerstone player to get him.

Quote:
Some of the Philly imbeciles would label the pick a bust if he didn't come over after year one.

Closed Thread