HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Gionta

Old
04-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Nedved

vCash: 500
Brian Gionta

I understand many here, including myself, are down on gionta this year. He is having a below average year statistically (11 g, 12a, plus 6) and also style of play (doesn't go to the dirty places in the offensive zone like gallagher which we became accustom to).

That said, I'm making a huge prediction that he becomes a playoff hero for us, and shows the young guys another level of play, and heart. I don't know why, could be the drinks I had when I went out after the loss last night, but I have a really, really good feeling he will be clutch come playoffs.

Brian Gionta---you have a free pass from me, and I will let everything slide until the playoffs. You are the captain of this team for a reason, and I'm willing to bet you show it when it matters.

The playoffs are almost here, when players like Gionta flourish and shine.

go habs go!!!

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

He does go in the dirty areas. He's usually the first guy on the puck in the corner on a dump. But I would like to see him go in front of the net like Gallagher does on the PP. No more Gionta on the half wall pls.

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

I don't have that much of a problem with Gio at even strength, him and Plekanec have been solid together for most the year, but he needs to GTFO the powerplay.. he is absolutely terrible on it.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:33 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
I don't have that much of a problem with Gio at even strength, him and Plekanec have been solid together for most the year, but he needs to GTFO the powerplay.. he is absolutely terrible on it.
His job on the PP is to position himself in front of the net and in the slot.. He does a pretty decent job at screening the net but you basically never see him take quality one timers from the slot..

Gio has limited puck skills and vision, he has been pretty frustrating to watch some nights but you never can blame him for a lack of effort.. All being said, his place should be on a third line with very limited PP time..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

He seems to be missing a step, he's not the same Gionta from his 1st year with the habs. I think he's always been pretty good in the playoffs, I hope it's the same this time around.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Gionta has been ok this year and all. I certainly want to keep him around. But if I had to nitpick anything, I guess I'd say that the way some of our young players have come on, I'm not sold on Gionta getting 18+ minutes per night or the top PP assignments. I'd still give him good ice and PP time... but just maybe phase him back in the rotation gradually. Maybe that's already sort of happening. And obviously you couldn't have done it out of the gate, not knowing how some of the other players were going to emerge. But now... I don't think he's better than some guys who get less ice. No biggie, though.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Lionel Mandrake
Generic user

I'd keep the 17-14-21 line intact 5-on-5 but I'd replace Gionta by Ryder for the PP.

Lionel Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
I understand many here, including myself, are down on gionta this year. He is having a below average year statistically (11 g, 12a, plus 6) and also style of play (doesn't go to the dirty places in the offensive zone like gallagher which we became accustom to).

That said, I'm making a huge prediction that he becomes a playoff hero for us, and shows the young guys another level of play, and heart. I don't know why, could be the drinks I had when I went out after the loss last night, but I have a really, really good feeling he will be clutch come playoffs.

Brian Gionta---you have a free pass from me, and I will let everything slide until the playoffs. You are the captain of this team for a reason, and I'm willing to bet you show it when it matters.

The playoffs are almost here, when players like Gionta flourish and shine.

go habs go!!!
Gionta goes to the dirty areas as much as anybody on the team. He scores most of his goals from 10-20 feet out and is fearless to go in the coners with bigger/stronger players. Not sure what player you've been watching

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Gionta goes to the dirty areas as much as anybody on the team. He scores most of his goals from 10-20 feet out and is fearless to go in the coners with bigger/stronger players. Not sure what player you've been watching
Just when we have possession in the other team's end. I find, where he use to park himself directly in front of the net and take hits like gallagher, he stands closer to the post, which isn't really effective.

that's what I mean, by dirty areas. Just watch next game, anytime he is parked, it's not in front of the net, but by the post. That's the difference I've noticed in him, he's not willing to take the punishment directly in front of the net.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Dagistitsyn

Id rather have AK.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
Just when we have possession in the other team's end. I find, where he use to park himself directly in front of the net and take hits like gallagher, he stands closer to the post, which isn't really effective.

that's what I mean, by dirty areas. Just watch next game, anytime he is parked, it's not in front of the net, but by the post. That's the difference I've noticed in him, he's not willing to take the punishment directly in front of the net.
Well the "dirty areas" in hockey are the coners and front of the net and he goes to both. Maybe he doesn't do it like you want but don't say he doesn't go to the "dirty areas". I have seen him screen the goalie numerous times.

He had a slow start coming off the lockout + his bicep injury(which was somewhat to be expected)...4-5-9 in 20 games Jan/Feb...but he's picked up the pace since then, 7-7-14 in 21 games mar/Apr, that is a 27-27-54 pace over a full season.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Id rather have AK.
Really ?

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Id rather have AK.
I kinda agree. Just in the way that AK would be a bigger body and scores pretty much the same amount of goals. When we play a very big D-corps, having Gionta, Desharnais, Gallagher really puts us in a disadvantage to start.

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:57 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
This post says it all.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Kenny Powders

With the Devils, I feared him when he had the puck in the O zone.

With the habs, I'm laughing everytime.

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:43 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
Really ?
Yeah

Duh

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
Really ?
Yes.

AK was improved his defensive game a LOT in his last year with us.

If we're gunna have a streaky scorer I'd pick AK over Gionta everytime.
Especially since Gallagher plays Gionta's game better than Gionta.

AK with MT would be great IMO. Look at Bourque this year.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:51 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Gionta has been ok this year and all. I certainly want to keep him around. But if I had to nitpick anything, I guess I'd say that the way some of our young players have come on, I'm not sold on Gionta getting 18+ minutes per night or the top PP assignments. I'd still give him good ice and PP time... but just maybe phase him back in the rotation gradually. Maybe that's already sort of happening. And obviously you couldn't have done it out of the gate, not knowing how some of the other players were going to emerge. But now... I don't think he's better than some guys who get less ice. No biggie, though.
Assuming 6 minutes each of PP and PK time, 48 minutes ES

Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
15 minutes ES

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
12 minutes ES

Eller-Galchenyuk-Ryder
12 minutes ES

Prust-Halpern-Moen
9 minutes ES

Power Play 3 minutes each
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Ryder
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher

Penalty Kill 2 minutes each
Plekanec-Moen
Eller-Gionta
Halpern-Prust

Total minutes for forwards 174 minutes
20 Plekanec
17 Gionta
15 Bourque
15 Desharnais
15 Galchenyuk
15 Ryder
15 Pacioretty
15 Gallagher
14 Eller
11 Prust
11 Halpern
11 Moen

Agreed, Gionta does not need to play PP

Also, late in the game to protect a lead, Eller can replace Bourque on the top defensive line, and basically just play the Plekanec and Halpern lines for the last three minutes of a one-goal game (two shifts each of 45 seconds).

If down a goal late, go with the three scoring lines only, subbing Prust in for anyone not having a good game, if applicable.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:54 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Id rather have AK.
Offensively perhaps, but to counter the other team's top line, no. AK improved a bit over the years, but Gionta's defensive awareness is top 10% in the league.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

IMO he should be on the 3rd line. He's no Gomez but I don't think he should be put into primary scoring roles.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Gionta certainly hasn't been as bad as some make it seem. He hasn't necessarily been solid either. However, he's producing pretty much like he has over the previous two seasons.

He has been great for us in the POs, so I hope this keeps up.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Gionta is awesome.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Gionta certainly hasn't been as bad as some make it seem. He hasn't necessarily been solid either. However, he's producing pretty much like he has over the previous two seasons.

He has been great for us in the POs, so I hope this keeps up.
He's been fanning on perfect passes and scoring opportunities constantly. He's a below average passer. His amazing slap shot from the blue line kills rushes / plays constantly. Plays usually die on Gio's stick this year.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
He's been fanning on perfect passes and scoring opportunities constantly. He's a below average passer. His amazing slap shot from the blue line kills rushes / plays constantly. Plays usually die on Gio's stick this year.
And on this horrible year he's been having, he's still on a 20goal pace. His shooting percentage is even higher than it was the two previous years.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:26 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Id rather have AK.
me too for sure. cheaper, bigger, hits hard.
gionta, small and soft and doesn't produce

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote