HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Laughton (skated; passed concussion test Feb. 1; injured reserve, Jan. 26)

Old
04-14-2013, 11:33 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
If you want to argue those were bad trades, okay, but you can hardly say that acquiring a 24 year-old Eminger and a 23 year-old Versteeg were done for short-term gain. The concept of Holmgren trading away young players for aging vets is a meme that needs to be debunked.
True, but outside of the Pronger trade, those other trades were significant overpayment for average players. Eminger for a first may the worst trade Homer has made in his time here, and a first and a third is a hefty price for a glorified third liner in Versteeg. You're right, they weren't trades for older players, they were trades for average to crappy players.

Just so I don't get dumped on, Versteeg has put up good numbers, but that in itself doesn't make him a great player. He's soft and plays mainly a perimeter game. I'm just not a fan of his, and it appears that a lot of successful franchises feel the same way since both Chicago and Philadelphia let him go without much hesitation.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:53 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Mike Richards seems like the poster boy for comparisons anymore.....

I see Laughton more as a Michael Peca type (in his prime) and others have made a similar comparison
Back on track. I loved Peca when he played. Loved him.

If Laughton turned into that I would be ecstatic.

Madden would be great too but I think laughtons ceiling is higher.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:40 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Ryan Kesler could be a good comparison too.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:42 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Mike Richards seems like the poster boy for comparisons anymore.....

I see Laughton more as a Michael Peca type (in his prime) and others have made a similar comparison
I think that title still belongs to Pronger. Every draft any big physical defensemen equals Pronger.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:48 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I think that title still belongs to Pronger. Every draft any big physical defensemen equals Pronger.
Jones is a good example of that. I don't really see Pronger in him though. I think a stronger comparison would be Brent Seabrook with a higher ceiling.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:49 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Jones is a good example of that. I don't really see Pronger in him though. I think a stronger comparison would be Brent Seabrook with a higher ceiling.
How about Pietrangelo with more aggression (hitting and so on)?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:54 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I think people just say that because Craig Button said he's the best defensive prospect since Pronger. He didn't actually compare them skill set wise but hype wise.

I think Nurse is getting the Pronger comparison for this years class.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:55 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
How about Pietrangelo with more aggression (hitting and so on)?
Pietrangelo is a decent comparison too. Jones might actually have a more dynamic sense on offense though. Jones has a harder shot IMO too.. At least harder than pietros shot was at jones age.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:03 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
True, but outside of the Pronger trade, those other trades were significant overpayment for average players. Eminger for a first may the worst trade Homer has made in his time here, and a first and a third is a hefty price for a glorified third liner in Versteeg. You're right, they weren't trades for older players, they were trades for average to crappy players.

Just so I don't get dumped on, Versteeg has put up good numbers, but that in itself doesn't make him a great player. He's soft and plays mainly a perimeter game. I'm just not a fan of his, and it appears that a lot of successful franchises feel the same way since both Chicago and Philadelphia let him go without much hesitation.
Chicago's hand was forced to rid themselves of a lot of players after their cup win in order to keep their main core intact. Holmgren just decided to move him as well because we were blowing up the team at the time for whatever reason.

Neither of those things cast much of a reflection on the value of Versteeg as a player. Versteeg was very important to Florida's success last year.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Hes way grittier and physical than Henrique.
Agreed that Laughton's tougher and more physical, in skating style, all around skill I see some of Henrique in him. Not going to be the biggest, fastest or most skilled player on the ice, but will be smart and have a greater impact on the game than others. I meant it as a compliment to Laughton!

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:23 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Holmgren just confirmed what we all knew: Laughton is not long for this team/league. He said most of the rest will be here next year.
-Diana Nearhos

What she said was he was hinting that there was a GOOD (and real good chance) Laughton is on the Flyers next season. Might as well start penciling him in. Can't see him not making it other than him falling completely apart.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:38 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
-Diana Nearhos

What she said was he was hinting that there was a GOOD (and real good chance) Laughton is on the Flyers next season. Might as well start penciling him in. Can't see him not making it other than him falling completely apart.
I think most people were already thinking that to begin with. This just confirms it. He really could have played this year if we really needed him too. I didn't understand this pick last year by Homer but I'm glad I was wrong.

Old
04-14-2013, 04:06 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

I'm really beginning to think the flyers will look to move couturier this summer for a young defenseman. Perhaps Rundblad, Gormley, Gardiner or maybe Shattenkirk

Old
04-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Krishna

Quote:
I'm really beginning to think the flyers will look to move couturier this summer for a young defenseman. Perhaps Rundblad, Gormley, Gardiner or maybe Shattenkirk
It's definitely going to happen

But no thank to Rundblad or Gormley

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 04:13 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I know we all want a D-man if we trade Couts (who I would love to see him still be here), but if it was let's say, for Bobby Ryan, I'd trade Couts. Draft Jones/Nurse (hopefully Jones so he can play right away) and use Ryan to make up for the fact we didn't draft a forward. Let Laughton center the 3rd line.

Just a thought.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Krishna

What are we giving up for ryan?

Just couturier?

ANA doesn't do that

Old
04-14-2013, 05:07 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
I've never been against trading Couturier, but I think by trading him after this year, you are selling low.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 05:30 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
Chicago's hand was forced to rid themselves of a lot of players after their cup win in order to keep their main core intact. Holmgren just decided to move him as well because we were blowing up the team at the time for whatever reason.

Neither of those things cast much of a reflection on the value of Versteeg as a player. Versteeg was very important to Florida's success last year.
Versteeg would have been considered amongst Chicago's core if he was a better player. He's just not that much of an impact player to warrant trading a first and a third for him.

He was good for a team that had no business being in the playoffs last year. The fact that they won their division last year is only an indication as to how bad the overall play was in the Southeast. If Versteeg is a key cog to your offense, you probably don't have a good team. And I'm not completely biased, I consider guys like Read to be in a similar mold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I've never been against trading Couturier, but I think by trading him after this year, you are selling low.
Agreed. Selling Couturier now would would be disastrous in terms of asset management. He's clearly going to be a much better and more valuable player than he's shown this season.

Old
04-14-2013, 05:35 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Well, I guess it comes down to though, say we draft a Mackinnon/Barkov/Lindholm/Monahan, and YOU think they can be a top 9 center, you will have to decide then what you are going to do with Giroux-Schenn-Couturier-Laughton-New Kid. I guess you can move the kid and Laughton to the wing (Laughton is SOLID on faceoffs though, so I do question that move), but when the team needs defenders, you do gotta give something to receive. NOW I am not saying to trade Couturier. Just throwing out ideas.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 05:49 PM
FLYguy3911

I still think they should send Laughton back for another year of Juniors. If you move him to wing, his value takes a hit and I don't think he would be nearly as effective.

I have a feeling Schenn will be forced to the wing.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 07:37 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Versteeg would have been considered amongst Chicago's core if he was a better player. He's just not that much of an impact player to warrant trading a first and a third for him.

He was good for a team that had no business being in the playoffs last year. The fact that they won their division last year is only an indication as to how bad the overall play was in the Southeast. If Versteeg is a key cog to your offense, you probably don't have a good team. And I'm not completely biased, I consider guys like Read to be in a similar mold.
A) Comparing him to the likes of Towes, Kane, Hossa, and Sharp isn't really fair.
B) Florida took New Jersey to seven games. They had as much business being there as we did.

Speaking of selling players low, we did exactly that with JvR. I like Schenn, but had we traded JvR after 2010, we could gotten a possible #1 in return for him.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:40 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
A) Comparing him to the likes of Towes, Kane, Hossa, and Sharp isn't really fair.
B) Florida took New Jersey to seven games. They had as much business being there as we did.

Speaking of selling players low, we did exactly that with JvR. I like Schenn, but had we traded JvR after 2010, we could gotten a possible #1 in return for him.
Versteeg signed a 3 million dollar contract prior to the 2009-2010 season. His number wasn't so astronomical that they had to move him. They made a hockey move and decided that he could be replaced from within the system. Guys don't have to be star players to be considered part of the core. A guy like Bolland is a great example of that from Chicago.

Florida also benefited from playing in a horrible division. You don't think that was a huge advantage for them going into the playoffs? They wouldn't have been close to that level is they played 24 divisional games in any other division in the NHL.

JVR would have never returned a number one after 2010. His 11 game stretch impressed fans, but it probably didn't do much for GM's who don't jump all over 10 game samples. I won't disagree that they may have been better served holding onto him, but the Schenn/JVR trade came down to a trade for two guys that desperately needed a change of scenery. It also came down to team needs for both teams.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:30 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
You still can't fault holmgren because of a freak injury.

How many players' careers end like his did?
No I just fault him for giving up basically 4 - 1sts for a 34 year old player who's played a lot of tough hockey (meaning his expiry date is looming)

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:38 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckistanFlyerfan View Post
No I just fault him for giving up basically 4 - 1sts for a 34 year old player who's played a lot of tough hockey (meaning his expiry date is looming)
At the time of his injury, he showed no signs of slowing down. He just dragged us to the finals as well. He could have played another 3 or so years

Old
04-15-2013, 09:43 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well, I guess it comes down to though, say we draft a Mackinnon/Barkov/Lindholm/Monahan, and YOU think they can be a top 9 center, you will have to decide then what you are going to do with Giroux-Schenn-Couturier-Laughton-New Kid. I guess you can move the kid and Laughton to the wing (Laughton is SOLID on faceoffs though, so I do question that move), but when the team needs defenders, you do gotta give something to receive. NOW I am not saying to trade Couturier. Just throwing out ideas.
If we drafted someone like that, I would want to trade Schenn out of everyone. I don't think the Flyers would trade him though.

Not too sure what kind of assessment to give for Schenn's season, he goes from great games, to games where he is invisible. Sophmore slump? Perhaps.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote