HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you happy with the Bishop deal?

View Poll Results: Are you happy with the Bishop deal?
yes 212 83.14%
no 43 16.86%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Micklebot

vCash: 500
While he hasn't put up a great deal of pts here, Conacher's line has been arguably one of if not the most effect since his arrival. Why are people complaining?

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 05:33 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
Didn't he have 6 points in his last 16 games with with Tampa? Now he has 7 in his last 21. With so many players getting the opportunity to play, when we are healthy say next season, there is going to be a log jam for spots.

Conacher Wing, Pageau Center, and Hoffman Wing will all be fighting for a spot and all small player to boot, throw in Da Costa Center and it's an invasion of the smurfs.

Healthy, we still need that top line player or wait until one of our rookies become one.

DaCosta could find himself in the AHL for a long time or back in france. Where ever he chooses to go. He needs to engage in the play at the NHL level, which he does inconsistently. Who's to say whether Pageau will stick after this season, or even through these next few games. Either way, competition breeds results.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Comely

vCash: 384
For all those saying there was a better deal on the table I dont know. Remember what Murray said, there was another team and they were trying to get them to upgrade thier draft pick, aka it wasnt a first. So would you have been happier with a second and a 3rd or conacher and a fourth?

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

The way I see it Murray was after an NHL ready body. This deal 2 years ago he takes the best pick. We're coming out of a rebuild, need NHL calibre players, not hopes.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 09:10 PM
KarlSen

With the knee jerk reactions around here, with Bishop getting pulled in the Tampa game, there should be a bunch of posts about what a steal the trade was for the Sens!

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 09:16 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
The way I see it Murray was after an NHL ready body. This deal 2 years ago he takes the best pick. We're coming out of a rebuild, need NHL calibre players, not hopes.
Conacher > Late first rounder every day of the week.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Conacher > Late first rounder every day of the week.
late first rounder>undrafted player being in the right place at the right time to have inflated numbers.

Fabian Brunnstrom says "remember me".

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:02 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
late first rounder>undrafted player being in the right place at the right time to have inflated numbers.

Do you seriously think like this? The chance that a late 1st will be anything useful is not high compared to the un-drafted Conacher who put up a PPG in the AHL then has showed some of what he can do in the NHL in his rookie season.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:07 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:

Hahahaha, winning the AHL MVP as the fourth rookie to ever do it the previous year and is now contender for the Calder this year is "right place at right time?"

Brunnstrom was hyped BEFORE he got here. Conacher is hyped AFTER he started producing.

No one knew who Conacher was before this year even after his MVP victory.

If you're gonna come with these arguments come a lil stronger, man, lol.

The chances of a late first round pick to even play in the NHL is very low too; let alone accomplish what Conacher has done so far this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Do you seriously think like this?
All the time.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:54 PM
BK201

Quote:
Didn't he have 6 points in his last 16 games with with Tampa? Now he has 7 in his last 21. With so many players getting the opportunity to play, when we are healthy say next season, there is going to be a log jam for spots.

Conacher, Pageau, and Hoffman will all be fighting for a spot and all small player to boot, throw in Da Costa and it's an invasion of the smurfs.

Healthy, we still need that top line player or wait until one of our rookies become one.
He also has 25 points over 40 games but lets not bring that up because it doesn't really fit into your argument all that well.

Last edited by BK201: 04-13-2013 at 11:09 PM.
BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
He also has 25 points over 40 games but lets not bring that up because it doesn't really fit into your argument all that well.
You're right.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:11 PM
BK201

Quote:
You're right.
I guess I wanna say he did a lot in Tampa, and I don't think we could have done better. I see skill in him and he's a little more proven than a lot of our depth.

You could be right about some of our guys being better but I personally see a player that has the tools to be a 20 goal scorer and chip in with some good plays.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:12 PM
DJB

vCash: 4386
He's not a top 6er or bust though. He will improve his game and if he can become a solid pk guy with that speed he could be dangerous. He's at this point already a 3rd liner with upside...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:13 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
He's not a top 6er or bust though. He will improve his game and if he can become a solid pk guy with that speed he could be dangerous. He's at this point already a 3rd liner with upside...
Which is usually how all/most good rookies start out, lol.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:15 PM
DJB

vCash: 4386
Quote:
Which is usually how all/most good rookies start out, lol.
Not all I'd say.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:41 PM
kaws

Quote:
4th rounder.
I stand corrected.

Both players are playing well. Too early to tell though.

kaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:56 AM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

I think anyone who expected more than what we got is unrealistic. We got a good piece that will hopefully get better as his career goes along and he can help us now. It remained to be seen if Bishop was a legitimate #1 or not. He may very well be, but he hadn't yet. Therefore it would be hard for a team to give up a legitimate scoring option. I think it was a fair trade both ways with us getting the slight edge. We took on risk in that he has played with offensive stars and may not be able to produce without that quality on his line. They took risk, but I never felt sold that Bishop would be a viable starter without the protection of a defensive system. He's playing quite poorly in the loose run and gun style Tampa seems to play.

QuietOnTheFront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:30 AM
playasRus

I'm happy in that Murray took a 2nd rounder, flipped it for a goalie who's value was yet to be reached. But in doing this, he unknowingly saved this shortened season because without bishop, who got most of our with when Andy was down, we can't day lehnet would've have done equally well. Plus we have to give some games to our third string too.

Then when our goaltending was coming back to full health, he flipped the asset for a scoring threat who if he pans out like bishop did, will help our injured offensive core to again help our playoff chances.

So that 2nd rounder may well have been the price for our playoffs this season. And it wasn't spent on a rental.

Edit: You can never have too many good goalies. Look at St. Louis, they thought Allen was going to make Bishop expendable. Then Halak AND Elliott got injured and Allen wasn't quite ready yet. Would've been prime time for Bishop to step up for them, gain value and be traded for a 1st roudner instead Varlamov style.

Last edited by playasRus: 04-14-2013 at 08:59 AM.
playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:32 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post

Because this 'great' goalie was the third best on our roster. It's simple really. When Anderson became healthy again, it was either hurt one of your two goalies (Bishop or Lehner) or get what you can for one before it gets to that point.
Ehh, I think thats debatable. Sure Lehner was great in the A, and is putting up good numbers up here, but Bishop is winning NHL games. Something that hasnt yet come to Lehner.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:55 AM
DrunkUncleDenis
Re-sign Condra!

vCash: 402
With respect his limited production over his short time in Ottawa, NO ONE on our team is producing any sort of impressive scoring numbers this year. We're happy to get two freaking goals a game. Just be happy he already broke the ice. I think he will be a good player for us.

DrunkUncleDenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:26 AM
trobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Ehh, I think thats debatable. Sure Lehner was great in the A, and is putting up good numbers up here, but Bishop is winning NHL games. Something that hasnt yet come to Lehner.
They both have very small sample sizes...Lehner has two things over Bishop. He is 5 years younger, and more importantly he's won a Calder Cup. The cupboard was full at that position, and they had to make a move. It was the right call.

Bishop
Wins: 17
GAA: 2.67 .
Save %: .912

Lehner
Wins:8
GAA: 2.51
SV%: .924

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:33 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Murray turned a 2nd round pick into Conacher, who is a first-round talent. Whether you like the bishop-for-Conacher deal or not, we're still up from where we started.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:33 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobby View Post
They both have very small sample sizes...Lehner has two things over Bishop. He is 5 years younger, and more importantly he's won a Calder Cup. The cupboard was full at that position, and they had to make a move. It was the right call.

Bishop
Wins: 17
GAA: 2.67 .
Save %: .912

Lehner
Wins:8
GAA: 2.51
SV%: .924
I agree, the original post I had made was that the move wasnt necessary until next year IMO. In a year things may look drastically different. When this team has struggled with goaltending since it came back the the NHL, I didnt feel there was a rush.

That being said, I am very happy to have Conacher.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Larionov

I look at it this way - I don't see many scenarios that would have seen us get more value for Bishop. I see plenty of scenarios that would have seen us get less. Therefore, it's a good trade.

If people want to see the value of a late first round pick, go back over the last 10 drafts, and check the players drafted at, say, #22 to #30. Check how many names you DON'T recognize. (Hint - it's a lot of them.) Getting a fairly young, proven NHL calibre player is far better than getting a late first rounder who may never play a game in the NHL.

Larionov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:51 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post
Murray turned a 2nd round pick into Conacher, who is a first-round talent. Whether you like the bishop-for-Conacher deal or not, we're still up from where we started.

I hate Drake but perfect timing.