HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2013, 11:14 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Sa Cyred, wasn't it a 2 year deal that Nichuskin signed?
I... actually don't know now. I thought I read 3 but I might be wrong. If it's 2 years, that isn't too bad and I can see the organization waiting for that.

EDIT: I think I found a legit source stating 3:

Quote:
For both NHL GMs and fantasy owners, the big elephant in the room is his contract status. There was talk he would play in the CHL this season, but instead he signed a three year deal with Traktor in the KHL.
http://hockey.dobbersports.com/index...ery-nichushkin

Old
04-14-2013, 11:18 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I... actually don't know now. I thought I read 3 but I might be wrong. If it's 2 years, that isn't too bad and I can see the organization waiting for that.

EDIT: I think I found a legit source stating 3:

http://hockey.dobbersports.com/index...ery-nichushkin
Quote:
For both NHL GMs and fantasy owners, the big elephant in the room is his contract status. There was talk he would play in the CHL this season, but instead he signed a three year deal with Traktor in the KHL.
Thought that's what it was. This is the first year of the deal I believe, so 2 full seasons away still

Old
04-14-2013, 11:22 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Thought that's what it was. This is the first year of the deal I believe, so 2 full seasons away still
Oh I see I was reading it wrong. Three is including this season, so after the draft it would be 2. That's not to bad. Only thing you worry is like the Caps Kuznetsov where there are conflicts over if he wants to come over or not.

Since we are talking about Russians, a skilled one who can be sought in the mid rounds is Anton Slepyshev. He was passed over last season, but I there are reports that he would consider the NHL. Obviously if thats true or not I dont know.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=117748

Old
04-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
I think he gets passed over again. His WJC was pretty terrible and at the end he was getting barely any ice time

Old
04-14-2013, 11:34 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Slepyshev made comments that made it sound like he had no interest in coming over to NA. That's why he was passed up last year and probably will be again. I still don't understand why a team wouldn't draft him with a 7th rounder on the chance he changes his mind one day.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:34 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I thought he was doing better when he got moved to UFA? I do remember reading what you said though, but I thought I read his draft stock slightly went up with play at UFA. I guess we could pick worse 7th round picks though

Old
04-14-2013, 12:08 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

I can't imagine Nichushkin being passed over. Too much talent for someone to not take a chance on him with a later pick.

Edit: oh we're talking about slepyshev..

Old
04-14-2013, 12:16 PM
FLYguy3911

I would much rather take Nichushkin and wait two years than take a guy like Monahan.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:34 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I would much rather take Nichushkin and wait two years than take a guy like Monahan.
I think I'd rather have Lindholm than either of them though. He's a more well rounded player and can play all 3 forward positions.

Nichushkin would be kind of cool considering he's a flyers fan and has expressed interest in playing in philadelphia though.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:50 PM
daynus

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I think I'd rather have Lindholm than either of them though. He's a more well rounded player and can play all 3 forward positions.

Nichushkin would be kind of cool considering he's a flyers fan and has expressed interest in playing in philadelphia though.
not questioning your statement orange,regarding nichuskin, i am just curious is all. was this during an interview. and if their is a link, could you post it. as i am to lazy to go back and read all the pages in this thread. man if this is true, i would love to take this guy. as much as i like nurse,risto,zadarov, this guy is way to huge of a talent to pass over.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:51 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:

Nichushkin gives this organization something it has lacked (or hoped JVR could fill) for some time now. A big, skilled, winger that can skate. Lindholm is a nice looking player and I wouldn't be mad at the pick, but there are already players in the organization with his kind of skill set. Nichushkin's upside is significant.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:56 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Too bad Nichushkin didn't come over to the CHL this year like he originally planned.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:01 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
not questioning your statement orange,regarding nichuskin, i am just curious is all. was this during an interview. and if their is a link, could you post it. as i am to lazy to go back and read all the pages in this thread. man if this is true, i would love to take this guy. as much as i like nurse,risto,zadarov, this guy is way to huge of a talent to pass over.
Go check out the prospects thread; I think someone posted the link in there on the last page.

Quote:
Nichushkin gives this organization something it has lacked (or hoped JVR could fill) for some time now. A big, skilled, winger that can skate. Lindholm is a nice looking player and I wouldn't be mad at the pick, but there are already players in the organization with his kind of skill set. Nichushkin's upside is significant.
That's true, but from what I understand, Nichushkin is more of a "top 6 or bust" type of player, no?

There is a good chance ( if it were for his khl contract ) that Nichushkin has the frame and skillset to play in the nhl right away though.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:04 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
One thing Lindholm has going for him is that he is both a winger and a center. That skill set not many players can play. Look how invisible DannyB looks on the wing. Say we decide to trade the Couturier or Schenn (just a scenario), Lindholm has the ability to slot into the center spot if needed. If not, he plays on the wing. The only small knock on Lindholm was before this season started, scouts questioned his offensive ability. Seems like he quieted alot though with his play this season.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:29 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
One thing Lindholm has going for him is that he is both a winger and a center. That skill set not many players can play. Look how invisible DannyB looks on the wing. Say we decide to trade the Couturier or Schenn (just a scenario), Lindholm has the ability to slot into the center spot if needed. If not, he plays on the wing. The only small knock on Lindholm was before this season started, scouts questioned his offensive ability. Seems like he quieted alot though with his play this season.
Nichushkin plays left wing or center if I'm not mistaken. The biggest issue with him in my eyes is his KHL contract. He has the size to be an NHL player next yr but whatever team that drafts him will have to wait until the 15-16 season for him to suit up. That's a long time

Old
04-14-2013, 01:31 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Nichushkin plays left wing or center if I'm not mistaken. The biggest issue with him in my eyes is his KHL contract. He has the size to be an NHL player next yr but whatever team that drafts him will have to wait until the 15-16 season for him to suit up. That's a long time
What would happen if he were to decide he wanted to skip out on his KHL contract? Would the IIHF step in and bar him from playing in the NHL?

Old
04-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Giroux It
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I don't know if I would be willing to gamble on him. I am sure some team will take a chance, but I just can't see it

Old
04-14-2013, 01:33 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Yeah I really like Ekblad
Exactly get Ekblad with the first pick while the Draft is in Philly, and we are all going btw, it will be huge day for the organization.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:34 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
What would happen if he were to decide he wanted to skip out on his KHL contract? Would the IIHF step in and bar him from playing in the NHL?
Yes. The NHL wouldn't allow him either. There's an agreement between the two leagues that respects existing contracts from each league now.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:37 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Exactly get Ekblad with the first pick while the Draft is in Philly, and we are all going btw, it will be huge day for the organization.
I'll be there without a doubt.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Giroux It
Rookie User

I think the turnout will be tremendous

Old
04-14-2013, 01:39 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
That's true, but from what I understand, Nichushkin is more of a "top 6 or bust" type of player, no?
Well you're picking Nichushkin thinking he's going to be a dynamic offensive threat, so if you're picking him that high in the draft and he's not a top 6 player then he's a flat-out bust, but you can say that about a lot of guys. I think "Top 6 or bust" should be more used to describe organization guys like Akeson rather than a top 10 pick.

Quote:
It's one thing to say a guy can play center and wing on European ice and in the European game, but it's another to say he can do it at the NHL level on smaller ice. Less room to work with, game speeds up a bit, more physical. That said, position versatility is valuable in a lot of sports, hockey is not one of them. Is it nice to have a guy to slot in like a Matt Read? Yes, but it's way down on the list in the evaluation process. Especially in our organization where we already have a glut of centerman. Pick the best player. I like Lindholm's game. He's got shades of Giroux in his game. I'm not knocking him in any way, I'm just saying Nichushkin brings a different element we have lacked.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:41 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Yes. The NHL wouldn't allow him either. There's an agreement between the two leagues that respects existing contracts from each league now.
In that case, I could see us taking Nurse with our 1st (or jones should we win the lottery) and then perhaps gauging the way the rest of the draft plays out and maybe trading some assets for another first at the draft to grab Nichushkin should he fall due to his contract.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:44 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Also, there's no guarantee that ekblad will be the 1st pick... There seems to be a rift between he and Reinhardt at this point..

We may only need the 2nd pick

Old
04-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Giroux It
Rookie User

Quote:
In that case, I could see us taking Nurse with our 1st (or jones should we win the lottery) and then perhaps gauging the way the rest of the draft plays out and maybe trading some assets for another first at the draft to grab Nichushkin should he fall due to his contract.
Honestly I just can't see the Flyers justifing a pick on Nichushkin (especially if it means acquiring another pick) with the current state of the team. I just don't see it as a risk they would be willing to take. I could be wrong but I believe (god forbid) something happens to him in the KHL, the Flyers would essentially be screwed completely.

Closed Thread