HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Methot is excellent

Old
04-05-2013, 03:24 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

vCash: 500
With Cowen coming back it will be interesting who stays in the lineup on defence. Phillips, Methot, Wiercioch, Lundin & Cowen all play the left side. Gonchar, Benoit & Gryba play the right side. I believe Phillips has played the right side when paired with Lundin or Wiercioch. Should be interesting when Cowen returns who Maclean & company decide to start the playoffs on defence.

This would be my choice based on their play this yr, Wiercioch & Benoit give us a little more offence. However, if our offence can start scoring then I wouldn`t hesitate to put Gryba in there to keep down the goals against & replace Benoit.

Methot - Benoit
Wiercioch - Gonchar
Cowen - Phillips/Gryba/Lundin/Boroweicki

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
With Cowen coming back it will be interesting who stays in the lineup on defence. Phillips, Methot, Wiercioch, Lundin & Cowen all play the left side. Gonchar, Benoit & Gryba play the right side. I believe Phillips has played the right side when paired with Lundin or Wiercioch. Should be interesting when Cowen returns who Maclean & company decide to start the playoffs on defence.

This would be my choice based on their play this yr, Wiercioch & Benoit give us a little more offence. However, if our offence can start scoring then I wouldn`t hesitate to put Gryba in there to keep down the goals against & replace Benoit.

Methot - Benoit
Wiercioch - Gonchar
Cowen - Phillips/Gryba/Lundin/Boroweicki
Benoit on the 1st pair? Cowen on the 3rd?

What about no?

Cowen-Gonchar
Methot-Gryba
Wiercioch-Phillips
Benoit/Lundin

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:31 AM
HockeySens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post

What about no?

Cowen-Gonchar
Methot-Gryba
Wiercioch-Phillips
Benoit/Lundin
Cowen wont be 1st pair right away otherwise this is what I expect the pairings to be as well. Cowen coming back will ease the pressure on Gryba and Wiercoch by a whole a lot and Gonchar is experienced and smart enough to handle the other teams top lines

HockeySens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:54 PM
the doctor

Methot is the Alfredsson of defensemen. Settle down, I don't mean legendary status, I mean how he immediately calms the play down as soon as the puck is on his stick.

When Alfredsson gets the puck its as if the entire play calms and resets for the good. Same for Methot, he is so underrated it's criminal.

Garrioch gave a single thowaway line in his column today that Methot will be given a tryout for the Olympic team. Why wouldn't he?

the doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:19 PM
DrEasy
:heart: Cameron

Quote:
Originally Posted by the doctor View Post
Methot is the Alfredsson of defensemen. Settle down, I don't mean legendary status, I mean how he immediately calms the play down as soon as the puck is on his stick.

When Alfredsson gets the puck its as if the entire play calms and resets for the good. Same for Methot, he is so underrated it's criminal.

Garrioch gave a single thowaway line in his column today that Methot will be given a tryout for the Olympic team. Why wouldn't he?
He's been selected for the World Championships twice already, so he's been on Team Canada's radar for a while now. It's just crazy how below the radar he's seemed to be for everyone else though.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:36 PM
Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
He's been selected for the World Championships twice already, so he's been on Team Canada's radar for a while now. It's just crazy how below the radar he's seemed to be for everyone else though.
Playing in Columbus your whole career will do that.

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 07:13 AM
Jorge Garcia

Not wanting to get carried away, but Methot reminds me of Adam Foote in his prime. He's smart, strong and tough, very mobile, and able to win battles and handle the puck under pressure. He doesn't get noticed because he rarely gets himself in trouble.

Jorge Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:46 PM
UFA Unicorn
#peskysens

I would trade 2 Folignos for 1 Methot.

UFA Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Magix

Was he a 3rd pairing guy on the blue jackets?

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:54 PM
playasRus

vCash: 50
Pretty sure he was top pairing in CLB too

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

I will be happy when Benoit leaves, signing a 3 year 3m contract with Dallas or someone.

Cowen will pick up with his buddy Gonch.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:02 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post

What about no?

Cowen-Gonchar
Methot-Gryba
Wiercioch-Phillips
Benoit/Lundin
Without Karlsson how do we know who is on the first pairing? The ice time reveals a little but depending on penalty kills defensive guys like Phillips & Gryba will get more ice time. I would guess that Gonchar is probably on the first pair but Methot plays a lot too. I had Benoit with Methot to resemble Methot & Karlsson. It's really hard to know what will happen with Maclean, he always seems to do something unexpected.

Your guess is as good as mine though but it's quite likely Maclean will try & keep some pairs together like Wiercioch & Gonchar & Methot & Gryba which would leave Cowen with Phillips but who knows. I do agree that Lundin & Benoit or probably the odd men out although Gryba could be sent to Bingo because I believe you can only have 23 roster players & one of Benoit or Lundin would have to be placed on waivers. They may not want to lose anyone so late in the season.

Wiercioch - Gonchar
Methot - Benoit
Cowen - Phillips

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:18 PM
SebFromHawk
un faucon

Methot has some of the best stickwork in the East. Maybe the League.

SebFromHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:49 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

A number 5 guy, no more no less.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:53 PM
DJB

Benoit is a serviceable 7th defenceman and nothing more. Let's not get carried away here.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

I wonder where Methot will slot in next year

I'd probably pair up Karlsson with Cowen to be very honest: they are our future top pairing dmen so might as well get them used to each other

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:22 PM
ATdaisuki
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
I wonder where Methot will slot in next year

I'd probably pair up Karlsson with Cowen to be very honest: they are our future top pairing dmen so might as well get them used to each other
if you want to try and develop cowen into a #1 guy, keep him off karlsson's pairing for a few years.

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:30 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

I remember when I was mad that we dealt Foligno for Methot.

Stupid me.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:28 PM
IranCondraAffair

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
Pretty sure he was top pairing in CLB too
Let's not re-write history, he was never a top-pairing defence in Columbus. Sure, he was being groomed to be a possible top-4 shut down guy at one point, but things stalled a bit and he never seemed to play a full season and establish himself. This caused Columbus to look at other options. He was in the 4-5 range of players during his time in Columbus, not top-2. He was scheduled to be a bottom pairing guy this year, not a top pairing guy. Many Columbus fans were suggesting he might even be a 7th defenceman by the end of the season depending on how things went. He was being slowly pushed out.

It doesn't mean he wasn't being misused or he was a bad player, just that he was a poor fit on a lot of occasions and Columbus had other options. People need to remember that Columbus had a lot of injuries on defence which, in turn, forced them to acquire a lot of extra defensemen which created a bit of a log-jam that Ottawa was able to exploit. People could be saying the same thing about Ottawa as well. Our forward depth has been ridiculous.

In other News, Benoit has been a great 7th defenceman and was a great find by management. He will be looking at a permanent NHL job next season but I can't imagine it will be with the Ottawa Senators, though it is a possibility depending on how management views the progression of the guys behind him (Ceci, Borowicki, Sdao, Wideman, Claesson, etc..) and their ability to contribute at the NHL level that he might be re-signed. If they don't anticipate the the guys below him are close to NHL ready, the depth will be essential.

Even with Lundin, Benoit, and Gonchar gone, we'll still have: Karlsson, Methot, Phillips, Gryba, Wiercioch, and Cowen with fulltime positions. Depth has been essential to our success however and I expect management will pursue at least one additional NHL regular.

Of the three leaving, only Gonchar is the player that really fits what Ottawa needs. We have plenty of depth guys who can play 4-5-6 minutes but we need a guy behind Karlsson assuming Gonchar leaves/retires. I like the idea of picking up Ian White personally, but I assume there will be other ideas floated around.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:33 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

CBJ fans told us that he is a good 7th defenseman, but an average bottom pairing defenseman. Perhaps that was the case there, but he's most definitely a top four guy in the NHL right now. Simply amazing.

He can actually move the puck out effectively and shown some patience in the defensive zone unlike the typical shutdown guys...i.e. Volchenkov and using the glass to get the puck out.

Novak Djokovic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:48 PM
the doctor

I just love Methot's play and he was an animal in the first round. I think we have a future captain here.

the doctor is offline   Reply With Quote