HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Anyone hear of expansion/merger plans for ECHL, CHL, SPHL FOR 2013-14?

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 05:22 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkhockeygoalie View Post
A thought that just occurred to me...

The Jackals could possibly be playing next year, if a ownership group or collaboration from Peoria comes along who might be willing to take on the ownership/ transfer of the Jackals.

Like I said just a random thought that popped into my head..
The Peoria Jackals!!! Could they move them to the AHL as an ECHL franchise? Probably not.

But I guess I should rephrase that. Hockey in Elmira is likely done.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:43 PM
mk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
The Peoria Jackals!!! Could they move them to the AHL as an ECHL franchise? Probably not.

But I guess I should rephrase that. Hockey in Elmira is likely done.
Well by transfer I meant from Elmira to Peoria as an ECHL franchise.... The Rivermen did play in the ECHL for a period of time, until they were replaced by the AHL version.

I mean I know it wouldn't happen in heartbeat, but Peoria's arena wants to have hockey next year... so IF an ownership comes along rather than start a new franchise, it may be possible that anyone (if someone) comes along from Peoria could decide to purchase the Jackals and move them.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:57 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Former Peoria owner MAD:

http://m.pjstar.com/jstar/pm_29471/c...tguid=zh7VAxyr

Old
04-03-2013, 12:22 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Easy for the guy that bailed on the team to get mad at someone else for bailing on the market, I suppose....

Old
04-04-2013, 06:54 AM
AceFace905

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Easy for the guy that bailed on the team to get mad at someone else for bailing on the market, I suppose....
Notice in the article the guy is 85... figure he's getting to the point where he doesn't have the energy to look over a hockey team, sold to the Blues figuring that they would give them needed stability, and watched as they let it sit in the corner and collect dust.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:28 AM
mfrerkes

Quote:
Saurs bailed because he was losing his shirt all those years. Did he honestly expect his successor to stick around indefinitely and do the same thing? Some people think their market is just entitled to professional hockey, whether the ticket sales justify it or not.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:18 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Exactly. Just because the Blues have more money to burn doesn't mean you can honestly expect them to, as much as it stinks to see the Rivermen go.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:56 AM
SenorChifles

Latest Peoria News

http://www.pjstar.com/rivermen/x1037...ncouver-unsure

Article on ECHL's interest on Peoria, also mentions that Indianapolis will be joining within the next two years.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:24 AM
mk80

Indianapolis would make a good fit in the ECHL... I believe they are in the process of renovating thier arena.

The end of the article also mentions Peoria "looking at" the CHL, USHL, and NAHL... I would hate to see them in any of those leagues. But whatever they feel is best, I hope they either do re-enter the ECHL or if not they get a USHL franchise.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:34 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChifles View Post
http://www.pjstar.com/rivermen/x1037...ncouver-unsure

Article on ECHL's interest on Peoria, also mentions that Indianapolis will be joining within the next two years.
Specifically, here's the quote I found interesting both about Indy and about Peoria:

Quote:
Indianapolis is set to join the ECHL within the next two seasons as well.

But McKenna said the league’s deadlines to add teams for 2013-14 has already passed. Peoria would have to wait a year to get in.

Old
04-05-2013, 04:37 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Indy would be a good fit for minor league hockey at any level. The Ice draw decent, from what I remember, but they don't really advertise beyond their usual game in the Pacers arena, so their status as a hockey market with a USHL team isn't really that high up. With better advertising, though, probably would work well.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:52 PM
mfrerkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Specifically, here's the quote I found interesting both about Indy and about Peoria:
My guess is Peoria goes next year without pro hockey and hits the ground running for 2014-15 in the ECHL. I just don't see them even briefly contemplating a move to the CHL. It would be suicide.

Old
04-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Jackets Woodchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
My guess is Peoria goes next year without pro hockey and hits the ground running for 2014-15 in the ECHL. I just don't see them even briefly contemplating a move to the CHL. It would be suicide.
Yes. As much as the off year will stink like a million skunks in a steel mill, it will be worth it in the long term if Peoria gets back into the ECHL. Speaking from personal experience as a hockey fan in a city (Cleveland) that had a year off so a more stable outfit could get a year's head start on ticket sales.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackets Woodchuck View Post
Yes. As much as the off year will stink like a million skunks in a steel mill, it will be worth it in the long term if Peoria gets back into the ECHL. Speaking from personal experience as a hockey fan in a city (Cleveland) that had a year off so a more stable outfit could get a year's head start on ticket sales.
Got to agree with this... and if the ECHL doesn't pan out for any reason, I'd really like to see Peoria in the USHL. You've got to think that a business model in which the players are not paid a salary, and in which travel expenditures would be much less compared to even the ECHL, would be attractive to a potential franchise owner in a smaller market like Peoria.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:37 PM
MinWild1

I think if Peoria doesn't get back in the AHL that the ECHL would be there best route.

The USHL is a great junior league, but going from watching the AHL to the USHL that is a huge drop in level of play. Not a ton of hitting, bad defense, and since players are between 16-20 years old, there not very built. If Peoria would be getting a hockey franchise for the first time itd be different, but going from watching the AHL to USHL, I know I wouldnt like that.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:29 PM
mk80

Once an ownership group is found, I think they will be pretty much poised to join the ECHL again

Old
04-07-2013, 09:40 PM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Indy would be a good fit for minor league hockey at any level. The Ice draw decent, from what I remember, but they don't really advertise beyond their usual game in the Pacers arena, so their status as a hockey market with a USHL team isn't really that high up. With better advertising, though, probably would work well.
Let's not forget that the Ice's current home(the Pepsi Coliseum on the state fairgrounds)is in the middle of a 2 year renovation. They'll be at the Fieldhouse a bit more next season; some games will also be held at Pan Am Plaza-which they just moved some of their operations into.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:03 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Should know Elmira's fate this week:

http://www.stargazette.com/article/2...ay-emerge-week

Old
04-11-2013, 01:18 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
Should know Elmira's fate this week:

http://www.stargazette.com/article/2...ay-emerge-week
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1400443
Separate thread for that. (New owner of arena, team)

MOD NOTE: If you want to talk about the "musical franchises" of the AHL, please do so on the AHL forum. TIA http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Old
04-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Cyclones Rock

What's Up With This?

A check of CHL websites revealed some interesting information.

Four of the teams (Allen, Fort Worth, Rapid City and Denver) DO NOT have season ticket information for the 2013-14 season. All the rest do.

Last season, Evansville and Fort Wayne (prior to their moves to the ECHL) were advertising season tickets for 36 home games, which obviously weren't intended for the CHL. Perhaps the CHL has a policy in place which prevented this from occurring again.

The ECHL Board of Governors Spring Meetings were not officially closed with an announcement of the teams which will comprise the ECHL for the 2013-14 season. Normally, the BOG Spring Meeting is formally closed and the teams for the upcoming season are announced-including those which won't return.

My speculation would be that Allen, Fort Worth and Rapid City are looking like strong candidates to jump leagues. I don't have any reason to believe that Denver would be doing the same.

I wouldn't expect any formal announcements until the CHL playoffs conclude next month. Until then, I think there's plenty of valid reasons to make plausible speculations about possible team movements.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Kanka

Not sure if between the time you posted this and now Allen updated their website, but Allen has 2013-14 season tickets up
http://www.allenamericans.com/articl...articleid=1384

As for the rest you are right, thanks for pointing it out.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanka View Post
Not sure if between the time you posted this and now Allen updated their website, but Allen has 2013-14 season tickets up
http://www.allenamericans.com/articl...articleid=1384

As for the rest you are right, thanks for pointing it out.
I just checked them around 30 minutes before I posted and it wasn't there

Old
04-14-2013, 03:36 PM
mk80

Also I'll add to this and say that expansion St. Charles have been very quiet lately... no announcements made about season tickets, no announcements made in general, facebook page taken down. Not looking good over here.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:18 PM
royals119

There was the pending transfer of ownership in Elmira that was keeping the BOG from closing their meeting. They may just have not made the final announcement about closing the meeting after the Elmira situation was settled. Or, you could be right and they are still "in recess" until some other teams are settled that we don't know about.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:46 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

True, sadly I think Elmira was the hold up.

I can't believe they accepted the transfer

Closed Thread