Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Daugavins

Old
04-14-2013, 12:53 PM
AndrewGaze

vCash: 500
Daugavins

Thoughts so far and potential to play with the Bruins in the future?

I thought past couple games he was great offensively. Plus, he's only 24, so he still has some time to develop.

AndrewGaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:22 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGaze View Post

I thought past couple games he was great offensively. Plus, he's only 24, so he still has some time to develop.
His qualifying offer puts his salary in the 700k range, I think he's ideal to have as a 13th forward going into next year. Young, can kill penalties (something Claude finds important) while having some offensive upside. He could be a nice replacement for Paille in the future, or he could be a nice 13 forward for next year.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:26 PM
the negotiator

Sounds about right...versatile 13th forward with an outside chance at being a third liner

Picked up off the waiver wire so a no cost asset to add for the playoff run and maybe next year. These are the type of below the radar moves our GM excels at

the negotiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

I really like him from what I have seen so far in the small sample size we have been given is a lot of hustle and he is also good on the PK I hope he stays next year as our 13th forward

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:31 PM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

First game was a little awkward, since then he hasn't stood out much aside from being pretty damn solid on the forecheck. An upgrade over Pandolfo at this point.

CptxMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Bojakees*

Agree with the crowd. He hustles, and has good speed and doesn't shy from contact. Certainly has bottom 6 potential.

Bojakees* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
I like him. Nothing special, but he works. I'd take him over Caron or Pandolfo any day. Lots of hustle and can be very good for the 4th line/13th forward. His play is pretty well suited here, good skater and he'll embrace the physical game. Looks as if he'll be very cheap, too.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

I really like this player for what he brings. He brings hard work, and hustles whenever he is out there. He also has some skill as well. Great for a 4th line/depth forward role on this team.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:31 PM
CDJ*

Great or greatest?

CDJ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:50 PM
AndrewGaze

Okay. Next question.

Daugavins or Thornton?

Old
04-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Charbacca08

As everyone has said, the daugman is an overall solid player. From when he came over it seems he offers a good on and off ice presence which is something every team needs. I think he would be a great 13th going into the next season. However, he did ask to leave Ottawa because he wanted to play more. With the current depth that we have; We could easily find ourselves in a similar situation with him. Not that it would matter in the long run, just an observation.

Charbacca08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:29 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:

Thanks for this thread. This is something I've been wondering about. How does everyone feel about his play? From what I see, he's been pretty good, given expectations. He's brought a bit of physical play, and when you hear Jack or Brick mention his name, it's usually been in a positive light. A good sign.

Weigh in, knowledgeable ones,

GH

GordonHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:33 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbacca08 View Post
As everyone has said, the daugman is an overall solid player. From when he came over it seems he offers a good on and off ice presence which is something every team needs. I think he would be a great 13th going into the next season. However, he did ask to leave Ottawa because he wanted to play more. With the current depth that we have; We could easily find ourselves in a similar situation with him. Not that it would matter in the long run, just an observation.
I didn't know he requested a trade. I was wondering why a decimated Ottawa club would place him on waivers, so perhaps that's the answer.

Old
04-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Strafer

He had a great rush last night in what I believe was the third period that nobody has mentioned. He's shown (in this small sample) more hustle and on ice awareness than Lucic has shown in quite a while. Time to maybe sit Looch and Horton when Bergy comes back and Soderberg starts and see how they look. If anything it may wake up those two narcoleptics.....if they can stay awake on the ninth floor. Do they have cots up there?

Strafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:42 PM
TCL40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHowe View Post
I didn't know he requested a trade. I was wondering why a decimated Ottawa club would place him on waivers, so perhaps that's the answer.
I think he was a healthy scratch a lot and wanted to play.

I think he has been fine for what he is-a 4th sometimes 3rd line energy type player who kills penalties. He's cheap and seems like a decent player to have.

Basically a Paille lite.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:46 PM
AndrewGaze

Basically, the story is:

In some of the last games Daugavins played with Sens (this is what he said in an interview), they were starting to not let him play for no reason. He had a good game where he got an assist - next game he's not on the roster. Next time he's on the ice, he gets a goal - next games not playing again. He wasn't very satisfied, and he told them he wants this to change. He just wanted to play, and it didn't matter anymore where. He was alright with NHL or AHL, just needed ice time, so he asked to get waived. This ended in Boston picking him up (Washington were interested too, from what I heard), Ottawa didn't really expect this to happen and didn't want to get rid of him.
BOOM.

Old
04-14-2013, 03:53 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

He seems ok ... A very serviceable 3rd/4th line guy who can play the PK. Has moments where he stands out (both good and bad), but otherwise blends in.

Problem is that the Bruins are a team who love them some bottom line talent, and those guys are always abundant in our system ... Once everyone is back and healthy, and lines go back to normal, Dogs may once again find himself in the healthy-scratch department ... Which is what led to his requesting a trade out of Ottawa in the first place.

Unless he's a permanent replacement for somebody, he's probably not going to be happy here either. He's an RFA after this season, so it will be interesting to see how Chiarelli proceeds.

MillerTime 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Strafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler SeQuin View Post
He seems ok ... A very serviceable 3rd/4th line guy who can play the PK. Has moments where he stands out (both good and bad), but otherwise blends in.

Problem is that the Bruins are a team who love them some bottom line talent, and those guys are always abundant in our system ... Once everyone is back and healthy, and lines go back to normal, Dogs may once again find himself in the healthy-scratch department ... Which is what led to his requesting a trade out of Ottawa in the first place.

Unless he's a permanent replacement for somebody, he's probably not going to be happy here either. He's an RFA after this season, so it will be interesting to see how Chiarelli proceeds.
...let the "trade him for Getlaf" threads begin!

Strafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Salem13

He has good speed and good enough at breaking up plays but not what I'd call hugely talented and he isnt going to piss anyone off hogging equipment in the weight room.

Salem13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 04:18 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Basically, the story is:

In some of the last games Daugavins played with Sens (this is what he said in an interview), they were starting to not let him play for no reason. He had a good game where he got an assist - next game he's not on the roster. Next time he's on the ice, he gets a goal - next games not playing again. He wasn't very satisfied, and he told them he wants this to change. He just wanted to play, and it didn't matter anymore where. He was alright with NHL or AHL, just needed ice time, so he asked to get waived. This ended in Boston picking him up (Washington were interested too, from what I heard), Ottawa didn't really expect this to happen and didn't want to get rid of him.
BOOM.
Thanks for the info. It's early yet, but at this point, I hope he sticks.

Old
04-14-2013, 04:30 PM
SpitfireIX

Quote:

I agree they should hang on to him. He plays hard and is difficult to dislodge from the puck. He has a bit of Paille in him in that teams think they are playing a 4th liner and then he will pull a finesse move out of the bag and suprise them every now and then.

SpitfireIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 05:14 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Good 3rd/4th liner, MUCH better role player than Bourque was, and certainly the type of guy you keep around for next year

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 06:48 PM
TCL40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
Good 3rd/4th liner, MUCH better role player than Bourque was, and certainly the type of guy you keep around for next year
Especially with a good cap hit.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote