HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2013, 01:44 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
In that case, I could see us taking Nurse with our 1st (or jones should we win the lottery) and then perhaps gauging the way the rest of the draft plays out and maybe trading some assets for another first at the draft to grab Nichushkin should he fall due to his contract.
Like most highly rated Russians with the "Russian Factor". I think he'll fall somewhere in the middle of the first round.

I would say a team with an already good prospect pool and good rosters players would take a shot at him or a team like Columbus with multiple 1st rounders.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:52 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Nichushkin plays left wing or center if I'm not mistaken. The biggest issue with him in my eyes is his KHL contract. He has the size to be an NHL player next yr but whatever team that drafts him will have to wait until the 15-16 season for him to suit up. That's a long time
The way I look at it, you're really only waiting a year. The only guys I see absolutely ready to step into the NHL next year are the top 3- Drouin, MacKinnon, Jones. There are obviously guys outside the top 3 that can and will play next year, but those 3 are obvious. Guys like Nurse and Zadorov, who people want, would be best served by playing at least another year of Juniors. So hypothetically, next year, his age 18 season, would be a development year for Nichushkin anyway. His age 19 season would be spent finishing out the last year of his KHL deal where he could come over when his team's season is over and contribute to the NHL team for the stretch run.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
The way I look at it, you're really only waiting a year. The only guys I see absolutely ready to step into the NHL next year are the top 3- Drouin, MacKinnon, Jones. There are obviously guys outside the top 3 that can and will play next year, but those 3 are obvious. Guys like Nurse and Zadorov, who people want, would be best served by playing at least another year of Juniors. So hypothetically, next year, his age 18 season, would be a development year for Nichushkin anyway. His age 19 season would be spent finishing out the last year of his KHL deal where he could come over when his team's season is over and contribute to the NHL team for the stretch run.
And if he decides to take two additional years in the KHL?

Old
04-14-2013, 01:59 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux It View Post
Honestly I just can't see the Flyers justifing a pick on Nichushkin (especially if it means acquiring another pick) with the current state of the team. I just don't see it as a risk they would be willing to take. I could be wrong but I believe (god forbid) something happens to him in the KHL, the Flyers would essentially be screwed completely.
You have to do your homework. You have to find out where his heart is. If there's any doubt, you pass.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:00 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
And if he decides to take two additional years in the KHL?
see above

Old
04-14-2013, 02:00 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Like most highly rated Russians with the "Russian Factor". I think he'll fall somewhere in the middle of the first round.

I would say a team with an already good prospect pool and good rosters players would take a shot at him or a team like Columbus with multiple 1st rounders.
Yes, both Columbus and Calgary with 3 picks each in the first round, would have the perfect opportunity to select Nichushkin and still take 2 other safer players.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:

There's no way Nichuskin gets out of the top 7.

04-14-2013, 02:14 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
There's no way Nichuskin gets out of the top 7.
People said the same about Cherepanov (1st ranked Euro skater), Tarasanko (2nd ranked Euro skater), Kuznestov (3rd ranked Euro skater) too. Cherepanov went 17th in 2007, Tarasanko went 16th in 2010 and Kusnestov went 26th in 2010. All three of those guys were in the top 3 for Centeral Scouting's end of the year rankings for their draft years yet fell considerably in the draft.

All bets are off when it comes to Russian players.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-14-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old
04-14-2013, 02:24 PM
LegionOfDoom91

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...raft_pick.html

Here's an article from Sam Charchidi on the Flyers and the draft.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:37 PM
daynus

Quote:
Honestly I just can't see the Flyers justifing a pick on Nichushkin (especially if it means acquiring another pick) with the current state of the team. I just don't see it as a risk they would be willing to take. I could be wrong but I believe (god forbid) something happens to him in the KHL, the Flyers would essentially be screwed completely.
if a team like us drafts him, he would come over 15-16. and that is not a long wait by any means. compared to how long, it would take nurse to be nhl ready. and this organization swings for the fences, we traded for lindros, pronger, made a play for weber. and this guy can skate. and has the size,desire,stength to play in the dirty areas. i think at worst he would be a voracek type, a young version of marion hossa, some scouts say he is more like jordan staal. i can see the guy being a game changer, something we need badly. but i can see carolina being in the mix for this guy as well as they love their staals, and russians like semin. the risk about taking him is more about him going to a team that he really doesnt want to go to. he may decide to stay in the khl longer under, questions about getting him over. so yah if he does slide, we could assemble the goods to get him, at not a bad price. if a team is afraid about how,when to get him over, that creates a perfect trading partner for us. putting a team in a tight spot, in a position they do not want to be in, is like what new england did to pittsburgh and sanders. they offered 2.5M 1 yr for sanders, and the steelers are sitting, do we take the 3rd now, or match and risk losing him as an ufa next offseason. find the weakness in an organization and they will be happy with what you offer them. its like a game of thrones.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:59 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I know the user that posted that and to be honest, I'd likely disregard his post. The guy is in a chat that I am in and acts like he is a KHL insider all the time. He's just a writer for some small paper not far from Chelyabinsk.

This past season he and I were discussing the KHL and he told me to disregard anything the heads of the KHL say because they don't know what they are talking about and I should listen to him because he knows everything about it.
Just want to clear my posting/ reputation.

It was me who posted about Nichushkin, and I neither work for the Russian paper, nor live not far from Chelyabinsk. Secondly, I do not recall any conversations that we have had about KHL or ant other topics.
Finally, the information I posted was translated from "Izvestiya"- one of the biggest publications in Russia.

Old
04-14-2013, 03:05 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Nichushkin plays left wing or center if I'm not mistaken. The biggest issue with him in my eyes is his KHL contract. He has the size to be an NHL player next yr but whatever team that drafts him will have to wait until the 15-16 season for him to suit up. That's a long time
Don't know. Might be right. I read he has played mostly LW though.

Old
04-14-2013, 03:09 PM
PropJoe

Quote:
If he's a great player you don't need to justify it to anyone. Pandering to public opinion is a terrible way to run an organization. If they think that he's better than the other players on the board they should take him. Reaching for need is a great way to miss out on great players.

Old
04-14-2013, 03:13 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Could Nichushkin easily be our #1 winger in the future if we did get him?

Old
04-14-2013, 03:17 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Yeah he would jump right over McGinn

Old
04-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Just want to clear my posting/ reputation.

It was me who posted about Nichushkin, and I neither work for the Russian paper, nor live not far from Chelyabinsk. Secondly, I do not recall any conversations that we have had about KHL or ant other topics.
Finally, the information I posted was translated from "Izvestiya"- one of the biggest publications in Russia.
No, not you

The poster's username is Blunderbore. He posted it in the Nichushkin thread on the Prospect board

Old
04-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Jray42

Quote:
People said the same about Cherepanov (1st ranked Euro skater), Tarasanko (2nd ranked Euro skater), Kuznestov (3rd ranked Euro skater) too. Cherepanov went 17th in 2007, Tarasanko went 16th in 2010 and Kusnestov went 26th in 2010. All three of those guys were in the top 3 for Centeral Scouting's end of the year rankings for their draft years yet fell considerably in the draft.

All bets are off when it comes to Russian players.

Old
04-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
It would take quite a bit to overtake Voracek in that regard.

Old
04-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Giroux It

I guess my problem with drafting him is not the fact that he has to finish out his contract in the KHL, but that the Flyers have ZERO control over his actual development. He's really on his own, the KHL team decides his role, his minutes. If something happens along the lines of an injury, hes taken care of by their staffs (from everything I could find on the subject). It would be like if we sent Laughton over seas for two seasons and cross our fingers and hope he is developed when he returns.

Old
04-14-2013, 04:43 PM
flyersfromquebec

Does Read+Mez+2nd 2013 can land a 1st of columbus or phoenix???

I think the best package we could trade is
Couts+read+mez+2nd 2013
FOR
Yandle + 1st 2013 (11th pick right now) so Ristolainen or Zadorov or Pulock should be available !!!!!

Mez is replace by yandle
Coutz by Laughton
read lets wish by Drouin or Mackinnon (if not we had Nurse)
+ we had a young top 12 D prospect

worst scenario the D would look like this:

Timonen-Schenn
Yandle-Coburn
Phx pick-Grossmann

Best scenario we have a top 6 of:

Hartnell-giroux-voracek
Drouin(Mackinnon)-Schenn-simmonds

Old
04-14-2013, 05:04 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
I guess my problem with drafting him is not the fact that he has to finish out his contract in the KHL, but that the Flyers have ZERO control over his actual development. He's really on his own, the KHL team decides his role, his minutes. If something happens along the lines of an injury, hes taken care of by their staffs (from everything I could find on the subject). It would be like if we sent Laughton over seas for two seasons and cross our fingers and hope he is developed when he returns.
Say what you want, but the guys who come straight from Russia usually have a bigger impact than the guys that stop in the CHL. Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, Semin, and Tarasenko and eventually Kuznetsov look promising.

Old
04-14-2013, 05:38 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Say what you want, but the guys who come straight from Russia usually have a bigger impact than the guys that stop in the CHL. Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, Semin, and Tarasenko and eventually Kuznetsov look promising.
It's professional hockey against men. The KHL is definitely a better way to develop young Russians when compared to the CHL. There is the inherent risk that a Russian won't come over because the KHL isn't a terrible deal, but most of the best players want to play on the biggest stage in the NHL. I wouldn't not draft a guy where he's ranked because of that risk, especially if he has the chance to be a star player.

Old
04-14-2013, 05:51 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
It's professional hockey against men. The KHL is definitely a better way to develop young Russians when compared to the CHL. There is the inherent risk that a Russian won't come over because the KHL isn't a terrible deal, but most of the best players want to play on the biggest stage in the NHL. I wouldn't not draft a guy where he's ranked because of that risk, especially if he has the chance to be a star player.
Double negative

Old
04-14-2013, 05:54 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Double negative
it's the same as saying he would not not do something. is that not proper English or something? i'm a science nerd myself and grammer etc was never a strong suit of mine.

Old
04-14-2013, 05:59 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Double negative
You're negative. I regret nothing.

Closed Thread