HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXV

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

vCash: 50
Don't think we need Bordy at all.
Wouldn't shed a tear if he left.
Wouldn't shed a tear if he stays.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Avs71

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Do you guys think you'll be re-signing Patrick Bordeleau?
Yes, they will.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
He's good show value. I like him.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:38 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
I'd say the Avs should sign him to a 1-Way contract for league minimum...at worse if they put him on Waivers Montreal will just pick him up.

But I think his overall play has been as good or better than most expected, and he may very well be the best fighter in the league

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
Old
04-13-2013, 09:52 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
I love Bordy, he is a great fighter and he's learning how to be very good fourth liner. The guy hits like a train and other teams are intimidated by him, we haven't had someone like that in forever.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Avs71

I don't see why the Rangers would trade Girardi. They have 15 million in cap space, before buying out Brad Richards (6.67). Maybe since he is a UFA the year after, but if the cap rises, I'm sure Sather will squeeze everyone in.

If he is to be shopped, I'm sure there are a lot of teams who could offer up a lot more without decimating their roster, more so than the Avs.

That said, 2014 has Bouwmeester, Phaneuf, Letang, Girardi, Pitkanen, and old Markov, Seidenberg, and Hjalmarsson all due for new contracts. Doubt any of them hit the market, but it'll be interesting to see. Avs may be ready to add a major free agent by that time too.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Its to bad Girardi isn't a Lefty, he would really turn our Defense around, and I get the feeling he could probably be had for a little on the cheap side this summer with the Cap dropping.

Even so, if we got Girardi imagine a Siemens - Girardi pairing in a couple years.

Would probably be the best Shutdown pairing in the league.
Couldn't we just put EJ with Siemens and have a pairing that would be just as effective?

Old
04-13-2013, 12:13 PM
AvsFanRCN

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAvsFan View Post
Couldn't we just put EJ with Siemens and have a pairing that would be just as effective?
I feel like putting Siemens with EJ would make EJ try to do too much offensively and that IMO isn't where his game is going right now

Old
04-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAvsFan View Post
I would rather find a better option to go on EJ's pairing. IMO Siemens will end up being a good #3/4 shutdown Dman, which is also what Girardi is. The two of them on our 2nd pairing and first PK unit would be able to shut down opposing teams top lines very easily.

If Siemens can develop a bit of an offensive game, then yea I'd be all for putting him on EJ's pairing, but right now he's looking to be more like a Faster Barret Jackman/Girardi type without a whole lot of offense.

Jones - EJ
Siemens - Girardi
Wilson - Barrie

That'd be a pretty good Defense in 2 years.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:28 PM
AvsFanRCN

vCash: 140
Quote:
I would rather find a better option to go on EJ's pairing. IMO Siemens will end up being a good #3/4 shutdown Dman, which is also what Girardi is. The two of them on our 2nd pairing and first PK unit would be able to shut down opposing teams top lines very easily.

If Siemens can develop a bit of an offensive game, then yea I'd be all for putting him on EJ's pairing, but right now he's looking to be more like a Faster Barret Jackman/Girardi type without a whole lot of offense.

Jones - EJ
Siemens - Girardi
Wilson - Barrie

That'd be a pretty good Defense in 2 years.
I want to see what Siemens and Elliott can do together at an NHL level to be honest, so I'd probably switch Girardi for Wilson and throw in Elliott where Girardi is if we were going to acquire him.

Old
04-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

So, I might get angrily attacked for even mentioning this but, if our pick ends up at say #6 or 7 overall. Would anyone move that pick for say a 12-15 pick + good prospect?

Something like Burmistrov + WPG 1st for Our 1st?

or

Isles 1st + Niedereiter/Strome for Our 1st?

We need to add another top pairing/Top pairing potential defender to our system this offseason, and a pick in the 4-8 range is more then likely going to be a forward. If we move down to a mid 1st we could draft a guy like Pullock or Morrisey, and then still get another solid piece to add to the system.

I wouldn't be against it personally. Our play the last few games has made it obvious that we have the talent to compete on offense, we just need to solve our Defense and mature a bit more.

Old
04-13-2013, 05:12 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
So, I might get angrily attacked for even mentioning this but, if our pick ends up at say #6 or 7 overall. Would anyone move that pick for say a 12-15 pick + good prospect?

Something like Burmistrov + WPG 1st for Our 1st?

or

Isles 1st + Niedereiter/Strome for Our 1st?
I would consider them, only if we're drafting below 6 or 7. I have my doubts the other teams would consider them though.

Old
04-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
I would consider them, only if we're drafting below 6 or 7. I have my doubts the other teams would consider them though.
I think if we draft any later then 6 or 7 then the others teams wouldn't bite.

At 6 or 7, at least one of Lindholm/Monahan/Nichushkin is still on the table. Those 3 make up the 3rd tier of this years draft IMO(Jones/Drouin/Mack as tier 1, Barkov alone as tier 2). After that I think theres another slight drop off in talent.

At #6 there are good enough forwards that would likely entice a team like WPG who needs top 6 help to move a struggling Burmistrov to get that Top 6 forward.

But any further down, and there just no need for a team in the middle of the draft to give up a significant addition to there 1st to move up. The talent balances out.

Old
04-13-2013, 05:48 PM
UncleRisto
Registered Loser

I don't really see us falling that much.

Old
04-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRisto View Post
I don't really see us falling that much.
Yea, I doubt we will. Was more just speculation if we did.

I think at worst we should end up in the 4 spot, maybe 5.

Top 4 are fairly straight forward picks.

Old
04-13-2013, 06:59 PM
Teuras
Registered offender

The thing with the draft and our prospect situation is we have good D and G-prospects.. Maybe Jones could help our defense in short term but other than him I don't see why we'd need to draft a defenseman in the 1st round. I'd rather pick an offensive stud who's NHL ready within 2 years and find a defenseman through trades/free agency.

Old
04-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

I have to stay away from any thread involving the Leafs from now on.... I seriously question if half of there fan base has brain damage.

This is what one of them posted in reference to what he would offer for Duchene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Trade proposal/speculation thread?

Either way, Bozak + Finn/Percy + 2nd.

Old
04-14-2013, 05:57 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
When I look at the roster and start rating individuals who lived up to their role/paycheck he's surprisingly at/around the top.

Folks often look at 4th line guys and say they are easily replaced. I disagree. He's about the best pugilist in the league AND he's actually not bad with 8 minutes or less. I'd like to keep it around 6 but still. I can't think of a single game he lost for the AVs and it seems like his ability to actually take a regular shift has lead to some great hits. He's a gamer. What I do think is that he's made McLeod (as much as I love the Highlander) expendable. They both hustle, they both fight and to be honest Cody has shown he's more of a third line guy in a traditional 2 line team this season. If we want to role three offensive lines Cody should not be on one of them. He's good on a third line that occasionally puts one in but when you want offense from three lines he's not good enough to be there. As he's got another year, I'd start of with him on the roster but would have it a priority to move him next season for a draft pick or as part of a package for prospect.

Until fighting becomes an instant ban, there is always room on a team for a goon. When you've got one that can actually do the job well and contribute with hits and not terrible play for 6 minutes you keep him. Bordy fills that role better better than Cody. Cody can play third line minutes...just not on a team that is paying 6M for their 3rd line C. We need more offense there. I don't think he's going to flirt with 10-15 goals a season again and I think that potential is something you NEED from a winger playing on a team rolling three scoring lines. As big of a fan of the Highlander as I am, Bordy is better at fighting and more intimidating in his minutes played. I'd keep him.

Bottom line is Cody is not a good enough fighter (he's got the heart but is lacking in intimidation) to be the team's enforcer and he's not talented enough to be counted on as a winger rolling three scoring lines. I'd be very okay with him and Bordy both being on the 4th but doubt that will be a long-term solution. I think other teams will give us a pick for one or the other that we can't refuse. I just think Bordy is the better enforcer and with as soft as this team is, I'd rather keep him.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:11 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
When I look at the roster and start rating individuals who lived up to their role/paycheck he's surprisingly at/around the top.

Folks often look at 4th line guys and say they are easily replaced. I disagree. He's about the best pugilist in the league AND he's actually not bad with 8 minutes or less. I'd like to keep it around 6 but still. I can't think of a single game he lost for the AVs and it seems like his ability to actually take a regular shift has lead to some great hits. He's a gamer. What I do think is that he's made McLeod (as much as I love the Highlander) expendable. They both hustle, they both fight and to be honest Cody has shown he's more of a third line guy in a traditional 2 line team this season. If we want to role three offensive lines Cody should not be on one of them. He's good on a third line that occasionally puts one in but when you want offense from three lines he's not good enough to be there. As he's got another year, I'd start of with him on the roster but would have it a priority to move him next season for a draft pick or as part of a package for prospect.

Until fighting becomes an instant ban, there is always room on a team for a goon. When you've got one that can actually do the job well and contribute with hits and not terrible play for 6 minutes you keep him. Bordy fills that role better better than Cody. Cody can play third line minutes...just not on a team that is paying 6M for their 3rd line C. We need more offense there. I don't think he's going to flirt with 10-15 goals a season again and I think that potential is something you NEED from a winger playing on a team rolling three scoring lines. As big of a fan of the Highlander as I am, Bordy is better at fighting and more intimidating in his minutes played. I'd keep him.

Bottom line is Cody is not a good enough fighter (he's got the heart but is lacking in intimidation) to be the team's enforcer and he's not talented enough to be counted on as a winger rolling three scoring lines. I'd be very okay with him and Bordy both being on the 4th but doubt that will be a long-term solution. I think other teams will give us a pick for one or the other that we can't refuse. I just think Bordy is the better enforcer and with as soft as this team is, I'd rather keep him.
I agree with all of this but, (Maybe it's just me) Bordy's stick handling, and passing ability seems to go unnoticed. He also seems to make quick simple decisions with the puck as well. Every time I watch a game I see him do something once or twice that makes me think "Hey, thugs aren't suppose to be able to do that.".

Bordy is really good at maintaining puck possession along the boards, he seems to be able to skate around with the puck at will sometimes. That could be coached into something useful.

Hes also starting to shoot the puck on occasion as well. Bordy may have a little more potential than we think, he makes a surprising play at least once almost every game.

Any huge guy who can skate and handle the puck as well as he can, could possibly have an impact with more than just 6-8 minutes a night.

I'd like to see him get some fitting offensive opportunities, like being planted in front of the net on the second power-play. You never know. I feel this way about both him and Malone though, and it's a good time to try some of these guys in different roles.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
I agree with all of this but, (Maybe it's just me) Bordy's stick handling, and passing ability seems to go unnoticed. He also seems to make quick simple decisions with the puck as well. Every time I watch a game I see him do something once or twice that makes me think "Hey, thugs aren't suppose to be able to do that.".

Bordy is really good at maintaining puck possession along the boards, he seems to be able to skate around with the puck at will sometimes. That could be coached into something useful.

Hes also starting to shoot the puck on occasion as well. Bordy may have a little more potential than we think, he makes a surprising play at least once almost every game.

Any huge guy who can skate and handle the puck as well as he can, could possibly have an impact with more than just 6-8 minutes a night.

I'd like to see him get some fitting offensive opportunities, like being planted in front of the net on the second power-play. You never know. I feel this way about both him and Malone though, and it's a good time to try some of these guys in different roles.

Agreed, Bordy has some natural talent.

He could be worked into a 3rd line guy. But it would take a coach who could bring those types of skill out of him. Sacco believe it or not would probably actually be that type of guy who could help Bordy.

If we were unfortunately faced with the horrors of another season of Sacco, keeping Bordy around and under Sacco could be one of the extremely few and small positives out of it.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:59 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post

No doubt. I agree...the guy simply makes me think he has more to offer than any other run of the mill thug/pugilist. He's a hockey player!!!! He's much better at hockey than Koci, Worrell, McAllister and dare I say Parker? (He's probably not as tough to fight as Parker but that's splitting hairs...they will both destroy a human.)

I don't want to get ahead of myself though and count on him being more though. I'd just be damned happy for him to continue doing what he does. He provides a spark and sometimes (more often then naught now that folks know how hard he hits) those sparks are coming from plays (checks, little passes and smart moves.) I wouldn't want to throw him into deep water and count on him being able to do that consistently on a third line role (especially since I don't think he's got the ability to pot 10-15 even with ROR feeding him) but I'm as happy as can be if he's cool with the role he currently has and we keep him around to do it. Guys like this are NOT expendable. They don't come around very often. That's why Parros netted us a second. That's why it would be a mistake to trade or let Bordy go. McLeod will fight anything and I honor him for that...but he loses a lot of fights and is not as prolific at dropping them as Lappy was. Lappy should've been kept because it didn't take much to get him to step up and fight for his team-mates. McLeod has required either a huge unspoken no-no to go or just engaged in motivational fights. This teams needs players who can provide adn will provide an immediate response to a wrong. Upon a great occasion Wilson, O'Brien and O'Byrne have done that. When healthy everyone is kinda scared of what Downie can/will do. But Bordy can actually win most every fight he's in. The fact that Duchene, Olver and Svatos have all fought for themselves tells me that no matter how small the player is there is a snapping point (unless their name is Stasnty.) The fact that they had to do so is because we didn't have a deterrent against the cheap stuff and Bordy also provides some nice other stuff when he's not fighting. I'm a fan.

For anyone interested this is why I love Chris Stewart...

Having that kind of presence and immediate response from your team only opens up the creativity of your top players. There's no fear because once word gets out, cheap shots start to dwindle. It would be a lot better if the NHL did away with the instigator all together but dollar's to donuts Sakic and Forsberg felt better with Peppy playing and knowing that Parker was only a shift away.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

vCash: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Having that kind of presence and immediate response from your team only opens up the creativity of your top players. There's no fear because once word gets out, cheap shots start to dwindle. It would be a lot better if the NHL did away with the instigator all together but dollar's to donuts Sakic and Forsberg felt better with Peppy playing and knowing that Parker was only a shift away.
It'll be good when Downie and Landeskog are 100% next season. Them with McGinn, Bordeleau and Malone really looks like a pain to play against.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:32 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyhell View Post
It'll be good when Downie and Landeskog are 100% next season. Them with McGinn, Bordeleau and Malone really looks like a pain to play against.
Yeah we'll have a tough team for sure, we've always been able to keep up with LA's physicality the last few seasons. We do however need to get faster on the back-end.

I definitely think we can be a hybrid between LA & Chicago.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:32 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Definitely have come to the conclusion after this year that McLeod should be moved this summer and Bordeleau should get resigned. With Sgarbossa, Malone, Olver, Palushaj, Hishon(?), Vicour, etc all in the system or at least RFA, he does not offer much more than the cheaper younger guys especially if the Avs start the season with 3 scoring lines.

"There's a point, far out there when the structures fail you, and the rules aren't weapons anymore, they're... shackles letting the bad guy get ahead. One day... you may face such a moment of crisis." - Jim Gordon
Old
04-14-2013, 07:35 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
Definitely have come to the conclusion after this year that McLeod should be moved this summer and Bordeleau should get resigned. With Sgarbossa, Malone, Olver, Palushaj, Hishon(?), Vicour, etc all in the system or at least RFA, he does not offer much more than the cheaper younger guys especially if the Avs start the season with 3 scoring lines.
I wonder if Vincour will get any time at the NHL level before the season ends, hes on a hot streak in LE. He would allow Landeskog to go back to the left side if put on that line.

Closed Thread