HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

GM Joe and Russians

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-14-2013, 07:13 PM
  #1
aloonda
fear the rooster
 
aloonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 1,853
vCash: 500
GM Joe and Russians

russians?

discuss


Last edited by MetalGodAOD: 04-14-2013 at 09:43 PM.
aloonda is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 07:16 PM
  #2
Dirty Kari
Registered User
 
Dirty Kari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Ivan Vishnevskiy

Dirty Kari is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 07:17 PM
  #3
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller
 
Frozen Failure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richardson, TX
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,407
vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Vishnevskiy wanted nhl time or he'd go home. Plus dallas drafts fairly conservatively.

Frozen Failure is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 07:18 PM
  #4
Elysian
@AdamBath
 
Elysian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 6,818
vCash: 5355
Probably at least partially related to Ivan Vishnevskiy... I dunno really though.

Elysian is online now  
Old
04-14-2013, 07:19 PM
  #5
aloonda
fear the rooster
 
aloonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 1,853
vCash: 500
so is it mostly post playing career thinking behind this? or mostly khl being held captive by people that can deal with the lure of more money from the other league?

aloonda is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 07:32 PM
  #6
aloonda
fear the rooster
 
aloonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 1,853
vCash: 500
thanks for the response
a little background for me to keep a look at

aloonda is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 08:10 PM
  #7
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Win it for Robidas!
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 24,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Kari View Post
Ivan Vishnevskiy
Which is a stupid reason to be terrified of Russians.

Troy McClure is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 08:13 PM
  #8
aloonda
fear the rooster
 
aloonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 1,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Which is a stupid reason to be terrified of Russians.
It isn't like it is this guy eh?


aloonda is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 08:17 PM
  #9
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,477
vCash: 500
Its not just GMJN who has a problem with Russians. The KHL has a big pull for these guys. Making millions and staying where you are comfortable is not a bad thing at all. We've also seen a recent rash of highly talented Russians who can't or won't adjust to the NHL game. Being leery of Russians right now seems like a perfectly reasonable position to me.

txomisc is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 08:44 PM
  #10
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician
 
ReverendAlBundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Country: United States
Posts: 1,798
vCash: 500
Red scare.

ReverendAlBundy is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 09:04 PM
  #11
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,160
vCash: 500
He tried to make a bargain with Baba Yaga to get Brad Richards to resign. In exchange she wanted him to kill his prize goat and bring it to her. He killed the goat, but since her house had run away on its chicken feet, he was left with nothing but a dead goat, plus Ivan Vishnevsky got in Baba Yaga's mortar and pestle and flew away to the Russian 2nd division.

You could have asked this in the general stars talk thread, or also put the word Russian in the title, so that it makes sense.

The team couldn't afford to take draft risks with no owner and a bad farm system, now maybe the time is right to draft a player with more risk but higher reward potential.

Mr Misty is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 09:21 PM
  #12
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 14,431
vCash: 250
1. Does whatever device you're using allow you to capitalize?

2. Not every player or situation needs its own special thread. Some forums prefer each little issue to have its own special thread, this Stars board is not one of them. We have a handful of threads that are oft-read and which house questions like this.

3. Yeah, the mods can merge and delete stuff but the idea is that it's better to police ourselves than having someone else do it; it's also a lot of needless work for them.

4. If you think you've got a question or something to add to or spark a discussion you might try posting an actual post to start things off. Asking a question in the title (an impartial one btw missing the key word "Russians") and finishing the question in your OP is lazy and unimaginative. "blahblahblahblabh, discuss" is not worthy of its own thread. If you have a theory or something to point out then go for it.

5. Does your mobile device not have a capitalization option?


Last edited by piqued: 04-14-2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: qdp
glovesave_35 is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 09:29 PM
  #13
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,867
vCash: 157
It's a legit question, but could've easily been asked in either the General Stars Talk thread or the Fire Nieuwendyk thread.


Last edited by piqued: 04-14-2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: qdp
LatvianTwist is online now  
Old
04-14-2013, 09:35 PM
  #14
aloonda
fear the rooster
 
aloonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 1,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
It's a legit question, but could've easily been asked in either the General Stars Talk thread or the Fire Nieuwendyk thread.
that's fine
hey
a simple--hey aloonda buddy---can you put stuff like this in the such and such thread?----that's how we do stuff around here-----


ok

no big deal, I can ask my questions there, or talk about stuff there

there was never any sort of general rules---written or unwritten---that explained anything of the sort

other forums I am on---don't work that way

thanks latvian

aloonda is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 09:42 PM
  #15
catters078
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,051
vCash: 500
Neal for goligoski

catters078 is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 09:52 PM
  #16
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11,631
vCash: 746
Posting this again because it might have gotten missed:

Aloonda, there's nothing wrong with starting a new thread about a topic like this. People generally find it lazy when you just start a thread and tell other people to discuss however. You're not really contributing anything, just asking for other people to provide opinions for you. It's like begging people for a homework answer or something.

Also just because one person questions your post doesn't mean the entire forum/mods are against you. Gotta drop the persecution complex if you hope to be a regular contributor around here. You get reallllllllllllly defensive when someone disagrees with your opinion or says something you don't like.

As for the discussion at hand, I think its Les Jackson who doesn't really like them. Gotta be after the Ivan incident I'd imagine.

MetalGodAOD is online now  
Old
04-14-2013, 09:52 PM
  #17
Satan
why did she go
 
Satan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: exchange
Country: Germany
Posts: 36,244
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloonda View Post
1. shift key---whatever
2. are you ok? you need to go to the trainer?
3. I had a question, I asked, sorry I am not the hockey geniac you are mr "oak"
4. I am quite a bit older than the whippersnapper you appear to be

your point with any of these things is?
it's a forum........discuss stuff
or don't respond


it isn't that difficult
Oh, I'd love to discuss stuff but not with you.

Why? Your posts are illegible. They basically frighten away any possible discussion because you type at the identical level to that of a Grade 3 student.

Sure, you asked a question. Congrats! You have a question. You are now thinking for yourself. Take the time to format the thread title so I know what I'm going to read about prior to entering the thread. None of this "a wild fan said it best" or "what is gm nieuwendyks problem with" run on sentences that give me no clue as to what you're talking about.

Most of your questions can be answered in the 2013 Draft, General Stars Hockey or other threads. There's no need to clutter the board with useless threads that are answered in about 2 or 3 posts when they can be discussed in others.

__________________
all your friends are getting older
all your friends are moving on
forget everything you've ever said and stop pretending
i have every ounce of confidence
that you will fix all that you've wrecked
Satan is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 09:53 PM
  #18
aloonda
fear the rooster
 
aloonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 1,853
vCash: 500
and once again
back to the topic at hand
for the umpteenth time I will redirect

will the russian factor impact certain teams more than others in the coming years? the khl being around--and some teams being more willing to deal with russian players or not?

well, obviously it will, but how do you foresee it affecting the stars?

aloonda is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 09:55 PM
  #19
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,867
vCash: 157
The search button is on this forum for a reason.

LatvianTwist is online now  
Old
04-14-2013, 09:55 PM
  #20
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11,631
vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloonda View Post
and once again
back to the topic at hand
for the umpteenth time I will redirect

will the russian factor impact certain teams more than others in the coming years? the khl being around--and some teams being more willing to deal with russian players or not?

well, obviously it will, but how do you foresee it affecting the stars?
How do YOU forsee it affecting the Stars? Tell us what you think before giving us high school essay questions to answer for you.

MetalGodAOD is online now  
Old
04-14-2013, 09:57 PM
  #21
aloonda
fear the rooster
 
aloonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 1,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Posting this again because it might have gotten missed:

Aloonda, there's nothing wrong with starting a new thread about a topic like this. People generally find it lazy when you just start a thread and tell other people to discuss however. You're not really contributing anything, just asking for other people to provide opinions for you. It's like begging people for a homework answer or something.

Also just because one person questions your post doesn't mean the entire forum/mods are against you. Gotta drop the persecution complex if you hope to be a regular contributor around here. You get reallllllllllllly defensive when someone disagrees with your opinion or says something you don't like.

As for the discussion at hand, I think its Les Jackson who doesn't really like them. Gotta be after the Ivan incident I'd imagine.

how did les get burned here metal?

aloonda is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 09:58 PM
  #22
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11,631
vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloonda View Post
how did les get burned here metal?
I'm speculating, but when one of your first round picks threatens to bolt if he doesn't get the play time he wants, it's natural to avoid Russians in the 1st round going forth.

MetalGodAOD is online now  
Old
04-14-2013, 09:59 PM
  #23
aloonda
fear the rooster
 
aloonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 1,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
How do YOU forsee it affecting the Stars? Tell us what you think before giving us high school essay questions to answer for you.
If it isn't managed right, then we will be missing out on a wealth of talent. If we stick our head in the sand and ignore it, then we will lose out. The problem is the high risk/high reward nature of the dealings. We need to make it worth those youngsters while to come over and learn within our system. In the meantime, when they don't pan out, others will keep spending and snatch them up and will find more diamonds in the rough.

Detroit perhaps?

aloonda is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 10:00 PM
  #24
aloonda
fear the rooster
 
aloonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 1,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
I'm speculating, but when one of your first round picks threatens to bolt if he doesn't get the play time he wants, it's natural to avoid Russians in the 1st round going forth.

Just trying to make sure that was how I read what went down. Other folks can't use the same tactics though? When the admin shows weakness in their dealings, they will get taken advantage of in the future.

aloonda is offline  
Old
04-14-2013, 10:03 PM
  #25
piqued
Global Moderator
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 30,565
vCash: 27750
This thread is over.

piqued is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.