HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eberle or Yak - Which one do you trade?

View Poll Results: Who would you trade Eberle or Yak?
Trade Eberle 156 82.54%
Trade Yak 33 17.46%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-14-2013, 08:00 PM
ales83fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
wow has eberle dropped or what?, what happened? you guys absolutely adored him.
no, that's just how much more we like yak.

if i'm a canuck fan I'd be scared!

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:11 PM
shogun99

Keep Ebs, Keep Yak. Trade Hemksy, Trade Gagner. Package them together for a 40-50 point, large, defensively responsible C.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:26 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 590
Lowe/Tambo need to go before anyone else. The possible return when Lowebellini trades one of our best players scares the heck out of me because odds are it will be terrible. If I had to choose between these 2 guys though, Ebs would be going. Not because of this season, I think he's still played well, just lots of rotten luck for the kid line to start the year. I just think Yak has a higher ceiling in the NHL.

oobga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Njoy Oilers

After experiencing last nights debacle 1st hand, I can't believe what a soft team we are outside of 3-4 players. If some major changes to that problem don't get adressed PROPERLY, then I pity season ticket holders. Patience is truly a virtue with you people.

Njoy Oilers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
[QUOTE=rockinghockey;63956825]Even though PRV has size he does not play the way we need him to. He goes to the net but when he does hit it is just a rub. He stands in front of the net but he has to be aggressive. That is not his game. We have to move PRV, Gagner, and Hemsky but I know that wont happen. Next year is going to be very frustrating again.[/QUOTE

Agreed. Tambo has it in his head that Gags, PRV, klefbom r untouchable. It's this kind of textbook, inside the box thinking that is so frustrating. I don't see the big decision being made, and next season pretty much a repeat of this one.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:51 PM
armandh01

[QUOTE=RustE;63959159]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Even though PRV has size he does not play the way we need him to. He goes to the net but when he does hit it is just a rub. He stands in front of the net but he has to be aggressive. That is not his game. We have to move PRV, Gagner, and Hemsky but I know that wont happen. Next year is going to be very frustrating again.[/QUOTE

Agreed. Tambo has it in his head that Gags, PRV, klefbom r untouchable. It's this kind of textbook, inside the box thinking that is so frustrating. I don't see the big decision being made, and next season pretty much a repeat of this one.
Why would Klefbom not be untouchable? Just curious as to why you included him with the likes of Gagner and PRV. He seems like a very good prospect D you'd like to see develop and not trade right away (good reason to be untouchable).

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:50 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Depends on what the return is.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:55 AM
Ice Whole

Neither. I would prefer to keep them both which I think we will. If we had to pick one though, I would prefer to trade Eberle. Yakupov is the better player IMO plus has a much better work ethic. Would much rather keep him but like I said, I think we keep both.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 05:40 AM
Oiler66666

Given that choice it would have to be Eberle but if it was going to be done it should have been last year. Sell high not low (unless its Kevin)!! Right now we have no choice but to wait and see how they develop unless some GM has a brain fart and does something crazy (Eberle to Calgary for their 3 picks this year). It's also very premature to ask this right now. Based on recent trends we ARE going to end up with a VERY high, very good pick. Tambi doesn't do much but he is lucky at the lottery. Even baring that miracle at least one hole should be filled. Depending on how the chips fall we could get a top D/C/LW which could really change this whole thread. And best of all most of them have great size. At worse it looks like we get that number 2 center, a big physical D or a replacement for Hemsky.
And since we're dreaming, Tambi stated before the year that anything less than the playoffs was unacceptable and Katz likes his money so it's at least possible someone else gets to make the decisions this summer. Well it could happen. Bigfoot is real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Hall does a lot more on the ice, but often times without results. He doesn't have the hands or finish that Eberle does.
I would put money on Eberle scoring 40 goals before Hall does.
Completely disagree about the results part. Hall is the heart of the team on a nightly basis. He may not always get results but he brings energy every night. Eberle can do it with a highlight reel goal but Hall does it more consistently and is slowly adding a real edge to his game. Future captain material. Eberle does have a knack for those timely goals though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
PRV and Eberle are butter soft. I think we see this year, in a shortened season no less where a guy like Eberle in particular should flourish, good teams have figured this short dangling perimeter sniper out. Be hard on the guy, gap control, taking away time and space... not to mention unsustainable shooting % (which we all laughed about but was a reality), and the fact he's having a bad season, doesn't go to the tough areas... I love Eberle but this kid should be prime trade bait. The only thing that sucks about him is his contract. Another stupid deal by Tambellini that will hurt his value.
Anyways, if this team ever want to be competitive, Gagner PRV and Ebs all have to go.
Not every player has to be a banger, you just need enough in the team as a whole. I guess we have been watching different games, though if you want to call PRV soft? Not physical but stands in front of the net and takes a beating with a smile on his face every night. He's young, has a fantastic attitude and keeps getting better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Ridiculous post.
He's having a down year in a shortened season and all of a sudden the league has him figured out, the ever so ridiculous unsustained argument gets brought up and he is now prime trade bait? Oh and his contract is stupid?
Just a ridiculous post.
I wonder what would have happened if the Blackhawks gave up on Patrick Kane in the off-season because he had one down season last year.
Really good young players hit rough patches every now and then and this is Eberle's rough patch. Watch him bounce back next season and shut down all this nonsensical trade Eberle mumob jumbo.
The Oilers don't NEED to trade Eberle. If they want to add size and toughness to their top 6, they trade Gagner because he has value and trade Hemsky and Paajarvi to create space for those players. There is absolutely no need right now to trade one of the Big 4 NONE.
Why is the unsustainable shooting % argument ridiculous? Arguing for or against? No one really knows. People who do this for a living don't know for sure. That's why I was for trading Eberle last summer if the return was great and not so much now after an off year.

As for the rest. Unless you run into a desperate GM (or Calgary every so often) and manage to steal a Filip Forsberg you don't generally get a top 6 player, especially with size and toughness, by trading players like Gagner with question marks to their game. Gags certainly has value but I could see this ending up like the Hodgson/Kassian trade. Size and toughness for skill but is the team any better, especially if you don't address the hole it leaves behind (at the draft perhaps)?

Then again if we'd offered up Sam last year for Kadri I have to think the Leafs would have bit. The fans who love him now certainly would have. Ah for twenty twenty hindsight.

Really don't understand the whole thing about trading Hemsky and PRV to create space after a Gagner deal though. At worst it's a one for one if not a package going out unless the returns are greatly degraded. Realistically what's Hemsky worth now anyway...best case? A second in the recent draft? A late first on a contender as a rental next year if he stays healthy? Better off keeping him here and hoping for a good year.

Why give up on PVR this early? No one is or should be untouchable but like Eberle only if it makes sense.

As for if the Blackhawks traded Patrick Kane after an off year? If it was for, let say, Erik Karlsson they'd probably be OK with that. You don't trade Eberle just for the sake of it. You only do the deal if the return is amazing which is why I don't think it will happen. The window was last year's off season and we missed it (for better or worse).

Oiler66666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:15 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Found some numbers for those thinking that we will have issues tying up a lot of money in 4 forwards.

Suppose RNH and Yakupov also sign for $6.00m (that's what Hall and Eberle got), giving $24.00m in total. Here's the top 4 forwards caphits for some good teams around the league + Carolina (highest I think) for the 2013-2014 season.

Anaheim: $24.37m (Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Cogliano)
Boston: $22.00m (Lucic, Seguin, Bergeron, Krejci)
Carolina: $26.98m (Staal, Semin, Staal, Skinner)
Chicago: $23.78m (Kane, Toews, Sharp, Hossa)
Los Angeles: $21.47m (Kopitar, Richards, Carter, Williams)
Pittsburgh: $26.13m (Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz)
Vancouver: $21.70m (Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Burrows)
Washington: $25.24m (Ovechkin, Backstrom, Laich, Erat)

Edmonton: $24.00m ?? (Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov)

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:30 PM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Found some numbers for those thinking that we will have issues tying up a lot of money in 4 forwards.

Suppose RNH and Yakupov also sign for $6.00m (that's what Hall and Eberle got), giving $24.00m in total. Here's the top 4 forwards caphits for some good teams around the league + Carolina (highest I think) for the 2013-2014 season.

Wash- 35.8 for 5F + 1D
Van - 12 guys making 4+
Chi- 34 mill for 4F +2D

We can keep 6 players making 5-6 mil a yr if we get value contracts on the bottom 6 that can produce some points

Last edited by Rafters: 04-20-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:02 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Yea, this is in large part due to that beauty contract that Hall signed. What a bargain

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:40 PM
LegnaRouy

Ideally I'd like to keep them both. But if a top d-man in the league was coming our way and we HAVE to give up one of Yak or Eberle. It would have to be Eberle hands down.

LegnaRouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:00 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

No interest at all in trading either. I want scoring depth on this team.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:03 PM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
No interest at all in trading either. I want scoring depth on this team.
I agree. You trade one of these two and the Oilers are a 1 line team. This organizations biggest issue over the last few years has actually been finding secondary players in teh draft after the #1 pick that anyone can make. We dont really have a pipeline of skilled forwards outside of the big 4.

I do beleive that Yak will be a better player than Eberle, not only offensively, but also in terms of heart and desire, but regardless why trade Ebs when he will add a tonne of depth to this team 4 years from now hopefully still being a 60-70 point guy.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:15 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
neither.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:17 PM
NeutralZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post

It's true that Edmonton can afford to pay the big 4 kids 6 each, but it means a steep drop-off after that. If we're thinking of paying Gagner 5 million, maybe another 5 million for a big mean power forward left winger, that's getting too expensive for a top 6, especially if we want an above average goaltender and an elite dman. If we stick with all the kids at that rate, it's going to mean settling for some lesser players to fill out the rest of the roster. If they're making that much money, the kids are going to have to do the heavy lifting for the team. I'm hopeful that they'll get there, but they certainly aren't there now.

NeutralZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:50 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Late to the thread but obviously there needs to be a neither option.

Don't trade away elite skill that took YEARS to obtain. Having two elite RW in Eberle and Yak + Hall on LW means the team has some scoring depth and won't be just a 1 line team that's easy to shut down. Eberle isn't having a great year and obviously Yak hasn't shown his full potential yet playing half a season at the NHL level. They need more time to reach their ceiling.

Don't trade either away. Simply makes holes which again have to be filled.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
It's true that Edmonton can afford to pay the big 4 kids 6 each, but it means a steep drop-off after that. If we're thinking of paying Gagner 5 million, maybe another 5 million for a big mean power forward left winger, that's getting too expensive for a top 6, especially if we want an above average goaltender and an elite dman. If we stick with all the kids at that rate, it's going to mean settling for some lesser players to fill out the rest of the roster. If they're making that much money, the kids are going to have to do the heavy lifting for the team. I'm hopeful that they'll get there, but they certainly aren't there now.
Are you really thinking that? Is anyone really thinking that? Based on what, a partial season of success? Gagner is streaky, it is one of his problems. He is NOT a consistent player. Yes, he has had a decent half a season, but he has shown in the past that he can do great things for a limited time and then go long stretches without doing anything. What has he done in the last 5 games? Nothing. He is the kind of player who could get 10 points over the next 30 games.

Wow, I really hope Edmonton does NOT give Gagner 5 million, that would be a brutal contract that they would get stuck with.

As to the actual poll, I think you trade either one based upon the best package you can get towards filling your greatest area of weakness. If Eberle gets you the best player/package, trade him. If it is Yakupov, then send him out. Edmonton has some glaring needs and one of those two could be dealt to address one of the more obvious team needs the Oilers have.

Whatever you guys do, do NOT give Gagner 5 million per season.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:30 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Get rid of Smyth, Belanger, Potter, Whitney, Hemsky, and maybe Jones too. Then deal Gags if it will make us a better team and we have a replacement through trade or free agency. Then reevaluate where the team is at and decide on the future of Petrell, Paajarvi, Harti, Horcoff etc.

Then see where we're at again.

If we're still ****, it's obviously Kreuger's fault so fire him and take his damn assistant coaches and Kevin Lowe with him. Hell fire everybody down to the water boy and medical staff.

After all this, we're still garbage, maybe think about dealing one of the 4.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:01 PM
NeutralZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Are you really thinking that? Is anyone really thinking that? Based on what, a partial season of success? Gagner is streaky, it is one of his problems. He is NOT a consistent player. Yes, he has had a decent half a season, but he has shown in the past that he can do great things for a limited time and then go long stretches without doing anything. What has he done in the last 5 games? Nothing. He is the kind of player who could get 10 points over the next 30 games.

Wow, I really hope Edmonton does NOT give Gagner 5 million, that would be a brutal contract that they would get stuck with.

As to the actual poll, I think you trade either one based upon the best package you can get towards filling your greatest area of weakness. If Eberle gets you the best player/package, trade him. If it is Yakupov, then send him out. Edmonton has some glaring needs and one of those two could be dealt to address one of the more obvious team needs the Oilers have.

Whatever you guys do, do NOT give Gagner 5 million per season.
Gagner has a lot of bargaining power right now. He's got 1 year left of RFA status, and I'm pretty sure he can go to salary arbitration, get 1 year deal and be a UFA next summer. I think he'd get 5 million on the open market, especially if he plays well next season.

I hope he signs for a lot less, or we trade him and find a good replacement, but if I'm Gagner, I'm not going to sign for a small $ figure unless it's a one year deal, which would mean throwing his RFA status and trade value out the window.

NeutralZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:14 PM
Matt19Oilers

Between the two of them: it's Eberle for me AINEC.
Some size has to come into the top 6 here somehow, because a top 6 consisting of players all under 200lbs is pathetic and will get steamrolled again next year.
I think one of the big 4 fwds is the only one that can fetch that type of player in a trade and none of the 1st overalls should be going anywhere if you ask me.

I guess my problem with Eberle is that everyone is talking about him having a "down year", as if he just isn't burying his chances. Although he has missed some of the shots he was making last year, the bigger problem has to be that his compete level has been abysmal this year. Signing that big contract last summer has made him content with playing half-assed hockey. People really need to stop calling it an "off year", because it's all his own fault for not showing up to play every night; flying the D zone early so he can cheat for offense, and repeatedly passing up great shots to try a toe-drag through multiple defenders.

Matt19Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:07 PM
JamieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Keep Ebs, Keep Yak. Trade Hemksy, Trade Gagner. Package them together for a 40-50 point, large, defensively responsible C.
So in other words, keep the good guys and trade the not so good guys that you don't want, but still expect to get stellar return that will improve the team greatly.

The problem with that is the guys you want to get rid of are also seen by other teams. Hemsky and Gagner aren't going to fetch nearly the same kind of return as Eberle or Yakapov.

If you're not willing to part with the star players then don't expect significant change.

All you're going to get is minor tinkering.

JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:02 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
So in other words, keep the good guys and trade the not so good guys that you don't want, but still expect to get stellar return that will improve the team greatly.

The problem with that is the guys you want to get rid of are also seen by other teams. Hemsky and Gagner aren't going to fetch nearly the same kind of return as Eberle or Yakapov.

If you're not willing to part with the star players then don't expect significant change.

All you're going to get is minor tinkering.
Why not develop the skill you have, Yak and Eberle have value because they are good players...isn't that what you build around.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Chooch

Ebs.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote