HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Haha

Old
04-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Why do you want Scott to quit?

Hyphens matter!

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:23 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

**** this team.

It's a good thing we pay Ryan Miller $6.750 million dollars a year for his obviously superior goaltending.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:29 PM
McTank

Foligno at center, good or bad?

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
**** this team.

It's a good thing we pay Ryan Miller $6.750 million dollars a year for his obviously superior goaltending.
Really?

We all aboard the Jhonas Enroth fan club again?

Funny.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Good for face-offs .... Not so good for everything else.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:43 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

From the few posts in this GBU it appears most of the fans have checked out...Oh well summer is right around the corner - lot's of things to do.

Last edited by VaporTrail: 04-14-2013 at 11:58 PM.
VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:44 PM
Wisent42

Good:
Enroth
Defence overall
2nd powerplay unit moved the puck around with hard, distinct passes on the blade.
Pysyk

Bad:
First powerplay unit. Yeah, they scored a goal by mistake, but other than that it's terrible. More scorin chances going the other way. Putting Stafford on the point instead of Pominville has not exactly improved anything.
And speaking of Stafford: Boy is he bad. You all read about Vanek driving Pommers to the airport, right? Well, I'd be happy to drive Stafford. I'd take a couple of days off from work, fly from Sweden to Buffalo and rent a car just to drive Stafford to the airport.

Ugly:
Pouliot cutting up Ruhwedel's chin with a high stick, and instead of getting a double minor for it went on to score a goal on the same shift. Way to go, refs!

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:50 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Really?

Funny.
Dont forget to have your flavor of the month card stamped.

Imlach a cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:02 AM
sabresfan129103

Keep playing Enroth because why the **** not.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:05 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Really?

Funny.
I never left.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:08 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Can't wait until Drew Stafford is off of this team, hopefully this summer.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:39 AM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
I've been on the "cheap goaltending is only marginally worse than expensive" since before it was cool, y'all

represent

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:42 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Hows the college kid looking?
On Hotel Rwedel:

I like what I've seen so far.

His first pass is noticeably impressive, but moreover, his identification of the proper option/decision when getting the puck is what stands out most to me.

Meaning: if he recovers the puck, say.... in the neutral zone ready to initiate a regroup, he has - to this point - always picked the right option with where to go with it or what to do with it. In these instances, if the winger is open and not flat footed, he hits him with a tape to tape pass and we transition into the opposing zone. If the winger isn't there, or is too high, or is there but flat footed, he'll either look to hit the center curling through the middle (he did that a couple times against PHI) or he'll skate a few strides to gain more options (gain the red and dump, draw a defender to him to open up a teammate, etc.).

Puck retrieval in the corners of our zone has been good, he looks to be capable of picking it up with speed and not delaying to assess options unnecessarily - meaning he's reading the play prior to getting the puck. If the wingers are being typical Buffalo wingers, and aren't low enough on the breakout, he's skating it up a bit more and going off the glass, or D to D to his partner on the weak side.

Lastly, he has been a good support option for Weber when he (Ruhwedel) is the weak side dman. He knows to offset himself a foot or two relative to where Weber is on the other side, providing that "last man back" support if Weber needs to go over to him on the weak side. That means, to me at least, that he's not really nervous or anxious.

He's not big height-wise, obviously, but when he's getting the puck in the corners of our zone and the forecheck comes, he takes the hit, and seems like he's solid enough muscle wise to withstand the blows. He seems hungry to unload when he has a shooting lane, and the positional discipline in our zone, staying in front of the net as the weak side dman and corner-digging when strong side, has been blatantly correct.

All in all, as a defenseman by trade myself, it's so lucidly obvious that he knows the defenseman position and the responsibilities that come with it. Whether or not that translates to an NHL career remains to be seen, but it's a step up from being something worse! The accolades he received as being a "defenseman to the definition of the position" make sense now, because he has a clear knack for (at least looking like) being in the right area or position.

Only thing I could do without is that dumbass "California extended, open handed, palm-down-fingers-spread" right hand when he skates. Close your fist and pump like a human being, my man

Whatever works, I guess

Good:

- Rolston giving Jhoni the nod

- Enroth's play in the net...again

- Philleanough at the dot...9/11 for 82%, including a clean 4-for-4 against Vynsinnt Licquavalyaye. That in and of itself is reason enough to continue to entertain this experiment with him at center. That he didn't look lost defensively and positionally is a bonus, but doesn't hurt the campaign for said experiment to continue for the rest of the year IMO.

- Otter going 7-for-9 at the dot was great, too

- I like the limited amount of Ruhwedel I've gotten (see above)

- though the ToI is down this weekend due to his partner's inexperience, Weber continues to have a quietly impressive season. Physical as usual, 2 hits 2 blocked shots, but the notable improvement this year has been with the puck on his stick

- Ehrhoff with 26 minutes... I like having a defenseman to lean on in terms of eating mins.

Bad:

- The effort was there for Stafford - again - but the man just can't buy a bucket. For someone who's so gifted in terms of having everything you need to have skill wise and body-type wise to be a perennial 30g scorer, his statistical output this year is ****ING PATHETIC.

- Hodgson continues to be ineffective on the scoresheet...seems like it has been forever since he has been a threat to score (or create)

Ugly:

- Vanek .... just....wow

- dude.... the ineptitude that this entire team displays with regards to odd man rushes, specifically two on ones, is downright scary. How on earth is it possible to look so ineffective and non-threatening every time we have a 2-on-1? Can the puck carrier, JUST ONE TIME, continue to drive towards the net with a little speed and look semi threatening, instead of slowing down to a crawl and telegraphing the pass that the defenseman knew you were looking to make as soon as you crossed their blueline? It's disturbing, and it plagues the whole roster.

Nice win.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:47 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
9/11 on draws, 4 for 4 vs. Lecavalier, didn't look out of place in our zone, and seems to like the extra freedom it allows him with regards to roaming the offensive zone. I liked how he didn't take himself out of the play excessively by whiffing on body checks. I'd like to attribute that to him knowing he has more responsibility playing center and needs to be more composed, but I hesitate to give him that much credit after Le Seasone du Nonchalance

Old
04-15-2013, 01:48 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
From the few posts in this GBU it appears most of the fans have checked out...Oh well summer is right around the corner - lot's of things to do.
Yeah. ... just read through and came to the same conclusion! Can't criticize Vanek if you're not "posting the stretch run strong" as a user of HFB

Old
04-15-2013, 01:56 AM
ryanbiggame*

Send a message via AIM to ryanbiggame* Send a message via Skype™ to ryanbiggame*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kc232 View Post
I love John Scott way too much

https://twitter.com/RealJohnScott/st...466496/photo/1

Enroth played well again.
I doubt that's his real twitter

ryanbiggame* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 02:15 AM
Girgenburger
doginthebathtub

Quote:
Vanek is not playing well...no doubt...

However... I think the "checking out" part is a little overblown.

People that "check out" don't get pissed when they mess up. Vanek is still pissy with himself when something doesn't go right.
I would argue that he's constantly had a pissy demeanor since the deadline, probably because of factors we are left guessing about i.e. having a sit-down with Terry, Darcy and Co. The fact that he's not playing well and is battling nagging injuries (like every year) only adds to his frustration.

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say Vanek knows it's becoming more and more pointless to stake any hopes for the playoffs this year. Knowing that even if we do grab the 8th seed that we'll take a first round exit is a tough pill to swallow. I don't think Vanek wants to be here at all anymore.

Last edited by Girgenburger: 04-15-2013 at 02:21 AM.
Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 02:37 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
9/11 on draws, 4 for 4 vs. Lecavalier, didn't look out of place in our zone, and seems to like the extra freedom it allows him with regards to roaming the offensive zone. I liked how he didn't take himself out of the play excessively by whiffing on body checks. I'd like to attribute that to him knowing he has more responsibility playing center and needs to be more composed, but I hesitate to give him that much credit after Le Seasone du Nonchalance
I also like that fact that it forces him to keep his feet moving and stay engaged.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 02:40 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I also like that fact that it forces him to keep his feet moving and stay engaged.
Me too... That freedom appears to be much more conducive to the style of play that makes him most effective as a player.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:54 AM
slovakia18
English? I can't.

Vanek is "checked out"??
look that assist in the PP against TBL.?
Checked out? ok

slovakia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:15 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakia18 View Post
Vanek is "checked out"??
Checked out? ok
A Swiss Austrian from Slovakia ?!

Old
04-15-2013, 03:36 AM
slovakia18
English? I can't.

Quote:
A Swiss Austrian from Slovakia ?!
iwas born in slovakia(chech slowakaia) in 1980.With my aunt i go to austria 1991,since 2007 i worked in Swiss 6 months in the year!
Problem with that?lol

slovakia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 06:56 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakia18 View Post
Vanek is "checked out"??
Checked out? ok
Yea, was going to post this. Somebody who has "checked out" doesn't make the play he did on the first goal. He isn't playing at the top of his game, but to say he's "checked out" is a bit absurd.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:17 AM
wunderpanda

2 game winning streak ! Can still sneak into 8th !

I Believe

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:08 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
Yea, was going to post this. Somebody who has "checked out" doesn't make the play he did on the first goal. He isn't playing at the top of his game, but to say he's "checked out" is a bit absurd.
im pretty sure a "checked out" player can throw a lucky blind pass towards the net

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote