HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Greg Sherman & Co - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
We understand you don't like TPS or his opinions + insight.

No need to continue to bring up the fact he was wrong in a few things. Obviously Einstein was a blubbering idiot because all of his theories weren't all 100% accurate.
I think we've all moved past this. It was my fault for making the first comment and taking a bit of a shot at TPS. Then it all spiraled out of control from there.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Have you read Third Down and a War to Go? I thought it was a great book. I wouldn't say he was never good at anything but I would say we hasn't good at writing about hockey. He does a great job at capturing the spirit of the thing in football.
Terry Frei wrote that. Terry Frei is amazing.

I do agree with Woody that Gwoz would be a great coach for us should Sacco be dismissed.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:21 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Einstein
Wow.

A post quoting someone to correct their information with inconsistent information is worth grilling someone over.

I have no issue with TPS or his opinions, never have.

Old
04-15-2013, 12:17 AM
PAZ

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Wow.

A post quoting someone to correct their information with inconsistent information is worth grilling someone over.

I have no issue with TPS or his opinions, never have.
Just saying, from the way you berated him twice over that post seems like you did. How exactly are they suppose to correct their information when they're simply relaying what was said? Hell, he's not even a beat reporter trying to make money, he's an Avs fan giving us information that we would've never gotten.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
I thought we had it bad with Lacroix and Sherman in charge but the Oilers just promoted Craig Mactavish to GM

Old
04-15-2013, 11:28 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
I thought we had it bad with Lacroix and Sherman in charge but the Oilers just promoted Craig Mactavish to GM
Don't speak so soon...

Old
04-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
That picture strikes fear into my heart the way only Tyler Arnason could before.

Old
04-15-2013, 12:51 PM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Don't speak so soon...

At least he wasn't fired as a coach by Sherman earlier. But yeah, as great as that Oilers press conference was (so frigging funny), Avs are Oilers v2.0 off the ice.
Edit: Our scouting is way better, though.

Old
04-15-2013, 12:51 PM
rpontbriand

That pic makes me think of the movie Full Metal Jacket. Uncanny resemblance.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:40 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
Terry Frei wrote that. Terry Frei is amazing.

I do agree with Woody that Gwoz would be a great coach for us should Sacco be dismissed.
Good Lord, how the heck did I confuse Terry Frei with Woody Paige. To the sin bin with me...5 minutes for being a dumbass.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Sheet

vCash: 1727
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Einstein was an idiot, who was constantly wrong about almost all of his theories.
His most brilliant theory and greatest contribution to science for years to come, he discounted as being incorrect and impossible. Dark matter. Fact.

He was so good even his **** ups revolutionize humanity.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:43 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Would love to laugh at the Oilers for hiring Mac-T as GM but Lacroix is almost as bad as Lowe. Just like with the Oilers, there's also a lot of nepotism in the Avs organization.

Sakic, Billington, or Lacroix Jr. will probably be our new GM when Sherman is fired.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:53 AM
iceberg

Quote:
"But it's never too early to start a good foundation. Because if you don't, it's so hard to get out of a losing mentality and change it." - Avalanche goalie J.S. Giguere
What is this guy talking about? We all know there is no such thing as a losing culture. What does JSG knows about winning??

Old
04-16-2013, 09:55 AM
cgf

A veteran athlete regurgitating cliches? What sort of sorcery is this?!

Old
04-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

From Elliotte Friedman in his column today:

Quote:
12. Woody Paige wrote a column in The Denver Post asking for Joe Sakic to take over the Avalanche in the same manner that John Elway now runs the NFL Broncos. The timing of Paige's column was interesting (and probably not coincidental), because that gossip is making its way around the NHL.

13. I'm careful with Colorado, because the Avalanche operate very secretly. It's hard to say what this organization is going to do. I do believe Sakic's been asked before to take an increased role, but decided he wasn't ready. There were two reasons: he wants to make sure he's fully prepared and wants to be an involved father to his three children.

14. Sakic did attend at least one major Board of Governors meeting during the lockout, which led to speculation he's considering more responsibility. If you look at Elway's job with the Broncos, he's not the day-to-day general manager. He oversees the "big picture," like convincing Peyton Manning to go there. Sakic's children are teenagers now. Can he balance family with the "Elway role?" That's the key.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...up-oilers.html

If they are going to make him GM, he needs to be all in. He needs to be there everyday handling the day-to-day stuff. Otherwise just get rid of Lacroix and let Sakic oversee the big picture as the president of the team.

Sakic and Roy combo like some of us have been talking about for a while now?

Old
04-16-2013, 04:57 PM
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post

If they are going to make him GM, he needs to be all in. He needs to be there everyday handling the day-to-day stuff. Otherwise just get rid of Lacroix and let Sakic oversee the big picture as the president of the team.

The issue I have with Sakic being GM is that he will inevitably end up being fired. And Lacroix would be his boss. President will have more longevity and I want Sakic to be a part of the franchise forever.

Old
04-16-2013, 05:00 PM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post

As much as i love Sakic and as much as i'm hating PL right now, i don't think Sakic would be ready to take over the franchise like that.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:43 PM
Heebs21*

Nice team Sherman has built

LW - C - RW
?? - Duchene - Parenteau
Downie - O'Reilly - Landeskog
McGinn -?? - ??
McLeod - Mitchell - Bordeleau

Jones and Stastny have to go. Plain and simple

LD - RD
?? - ??
?? - Johnson
Hunwick - Elliot

Johnson at this point cannot be considered a #1 pairing Dman. The jury is out on Elliot and Barrie. Both are major, major liabilities on D. At this point, I would rather play Elliot than Barrie.

Varlamov ??
Giguere

Varlamov has some major question marks as well. But, he is all we have.

We are basically in need of a #1 LW, a #3 C, a #3 RW for forwards and a #1, #2 and #3 Dmen.

Sherman has taken this team full of talent and turned it into the leagues laughing stock.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Avs71

Seems every game PL comes to watch, the Avs lay an egg. Probably doesn't bode well for Sherman or Sacco.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:03 AM
Ivan13
Problem child

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs21 View Post

LW - C - RW
?? - Duchene - Parenteau
McGinn -?? - ??

LD - RD
?? - ??
?? - Johnson
Hunwick - Elliot

Johnson at this point cannot be considered a #1 pairing Dman. The jury is out on Elliot and Barrie. Both are major, major liabilities on D. At this point, I would rather play Elliot than Barrie.

Varlamov ??
Giguere

We are basically in need of a #1 LW, a #3 C, a #3 RW for forwards and a #1, #2 and #3 Dmen.

Sherman has taken this team full of talent and turned it into the leagues laughing stock.
Yes, it's common knowledge that Sherman took over a super talented team back then.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:

LW - C - RW
?? - Duchene - Parenteau
McGinn -?? - ??

LD - RD
?? - ??
?? - Johnson
Hunwick - Elliot

Varlamov ??
Giguere

You like it or not, Jones will probably stay with Colorado for another season, Stastny maybe as well. Then they both will be gone or not in a year, depends how they play together. I don't see Jones very valuable, If Stastny leaves. Jones really needs Stastny.
EJ is top-pairing guy. Just give him someone who can play top-pairing as well. You are going to throw out Hejda and others as well?

I think we are just missing one first pairing guy, then our defense would be OK. Not to mention Siemens could become very good defensive defenseman in couple years. We have a lot of potential in defense, so we shouldn't go out and sign 2-3 more guys. Then our prospects would never get playing time (Elliott, Siemens, Barrie etc.)

EJ-Top-pairing guy
Hejda-Barrie
Wilson-Hunwick/Elliott/O'Brien whoever

Old
04-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Yes, it's common knowledge that Sherman took over a super talented team back then.
I think we were laughing stock back then lol

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...006902009.html

Old
04-20-2013, 09:31 AM
Ivan13
Problem child

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
I think we were laughing stock back then lol

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...006902009.html

Old
04-20-2013, 09:37 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:

LW - C - RW
?? - Duchene - Parenteau
McGinn -?? - ??

LD - RD
?? - ??
?? - Johnson
Hunwick - Elliot

Varlamov ??
Giguere

*Sigh*

Just because you don't like him doesn't mean that EJ is a #4 Defenseman.

And I'm a hell of a lot more excited for this current team than I was about the roster before Sherman took over.

Did he take risks? Yeah, but the risks were to address needs that the team had. People will always go back to the EJ/Varlamov trades that he made, and that's fine, those trades will define his legacy as GM for the Colorado Avalanche. But those same people also forget the frustration that we shared about Chris Stewart, and about Kevin Shattenkirk, and about Craig Anderson (separate trade I know).

Stewart was quite often lazy, and didn't seem to inspire a "good work ethic". Can he score goals? Yeah, but when he is not scoring goals, he wasn't doing a lot of anything else, except fighting and potentially injuring himself (like when he broke his hand).

Shattenkirk, while I agree with everyone that it sucked to lose him, was also frustrating to watch here. While he was putting up some nice points from the blueline, he was also terribly outmuscled in the defensive zone and some of the plays he made directly caused goals in the back of the net. The same thing will/has happened with Barrie and Elliott on the ice, it's just a consequence of being a smaller offensive-minded defensemen.

Craig Anderson, for whatever reason, decided to metaphorically take his ball and go home. The Avs made an offer of, I believe, 2 years 7 million, AAV of 3.5m. He signed for 1 more year on Ottawa at an AAV of 3.187m. He took less to leave because he wanted a 3rd year, something the Avs weren't prepared to give him at that specific time. Who knows if they would have changed their tune once the season got closer to being over. If he would have had a better year then either the Avs' offer would have gone up, or he would have hit UFA and been able to potentially get a bigger payday. But instead he simply played like crap and his body language showed that of a person who simply didn't care.

Bottom line, yes this team still has some holes, but it's a better team than what Sherman got when he took over.

And it's quite tiresome to read the same thing over, and over, and over, and over again after an Avs loss. We all understand your point of view, and you're certainly entitled to it.

04-20-2013, 09:45 AM
dsheehan73

Organization needs a culture change. Won't be able to add/subtract much from this team next year so more of the same unless a new game plan is adopted on the ice or way can be found to motivate the players. Minimally new coach but honestly would love it if Kronkes would throw all but Sakic away and start anew w/ mgmt.

Closed Thread