HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Mikhail Grigorenko Thread Part II (assigned to Québec)

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2013, 05:01 AM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Over the last month or so, me too. See below if you don't mind.

Can this be used in a loophole type sense when the time comes that it's either NHL or waivers? Loaning him to the KHL in a developmental fashion, so as to avoid waivers if it unfortunately comes to that? What are the rules regarding bringing him back after a KHL stint (assuming he doesn't go "Mother Russia" on us and fight to stay over there)?
Unless you're still exempt, you need waivers to be assigned anywhere, so there's no loophole.

If he were to go over there in the next two years while he's still exempt, he'd need the Sabres permission since he's a contracted player.
They'd likely lose him for the balance of the season though, as a KHL club isn't going to want him if you're just going to be able to call him away at any time.

Old
04-13-2013, 08:51 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
8 more games this year isn't going to derail his development, just bring him up. Rochester has enough guys as it is, and Grigorenko is all but virtually guaranteed a roster spot next year.
I certainly hope he's not guaranteed a spot. That's about the worst thing you can do with a guy that has in game work ethic issues. What's the incentive then for him to work on those things?

Old
04-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl 51s

Darcy Regier says Mikhail Grigorenko will return to Sabres organization with junior team done. Will decide on NHL/Amerks in next day or two

Old
04-13-2013, 05:42 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl 51s

Darcy Regier says Mikhail Grigorenko will return to Sabres organization with junior team done. Will decide on NHL/Amerks in next day or two
May as well keep him in Buffalo.

Old
04-14-2013, 05:58 AM
dugman

I would much rather see him go to the playoffs with Rochester than play out the string here.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:21 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugman View Post
I would much rather see him go to the playoffs with Rochester than play out the string here.
Who gets the shaft in Rochester? They're already 6 deep at center. Waive Hecht there's no point in keeping an old depth player around when there's nothing worth winning anymore. If you are dead set against him in the NHL right now then call up Larsson.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:32 AM
boots electric

Why call any of them up? They're playing meaningful hockey in Rochester--surely that's better experience than playing on a team that's almost fully checked-out at this point, even if they are playing out of position or they have to sit a game here and there.

Old
04-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Bosswally

ya send him to Rochester to play for a team that has something play for, its where he should have been all year but couldnt because of rules, I mean he was basically a harlem globe trotter in juniors but wasnt quite ready for the NHL

Old
04-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
Why call any of them up? They're playing meaningful hockey in Rochester--surely that's better experience than playing on a team that's almost fully checked-out at this point, even if they are playing out of position or they have to sit a game here and there.
The new definition of checked out is 5-2 over the last 7.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Dubi Doo

Rochester for sure.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:38 PM
"Craigs on it"

Interesting how the excitement wore off so quickly. .

Old
04-14-2013, 11:21 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Meh, he did absolutely nothing in while he was here. You'd think a prospect with elite offensive skill would at leash flash it. He was 100% useless. Spent lots of time coasting and I don't think he ever went within 5 feet of the boards.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not writing him off. But he just looked like a non-factor considered how much hype he was getting.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:25 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Meh, he did absolutely nothing in while he was here. You'd think a prospect with elite offensive skill would at leash flash it. He was 100% useless. Spent lots of time coasting and I don't think he ever went within 5 feet of the boards.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not writing him off. But he just looked like a non-factor considered how much hype he was getting.
but that wicked backhand pass Ott didn't score on...

Old
04-14-2013, 11:26 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Not for this guy. I am still excited to see what a 18 year old newly drafted kid will develop into.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:53 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

My opinion: The whole season was a bust for the whole team.

As for Grigorenko, a full training camp, some time in the AHL, and maybe playing with a scorer instead of Steve Ott would help. The guy is a playmaker. Playmakers like to have scorers on their lines.

Old
04-15-2013, 12:06 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackGroundMusic View Post

As for Grigorenko, a full training camp, some time in the AHL, and maybe playing with a scorer instead of Steve Ott would help. The guy is a playmaker. Playmakers like to have scorers on their lines.
After training camp next year its NHL or juniors. AHL isn't an option but it would be great if it was.

As for playing with Ott or not , there is sooo much in Grig's game that needs work that who he plays with is the least of it. Thats the problem with Grigs. He isn't nearly ready for top 6 NHL minutes but he doesn't makes much sense in the bottom 6. Unfortunately the best place for him to work on what he needs to fix is the AHL. But thats not an option.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-15-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old
04-15-2013, 12:11 AM
McTank

I say play him in the AHL. Let him workout over the summer and if he doesnt come back a complete beast send him back to the Q

Old
04-15-2013, 12:41 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
I say play him in the AHL. Let him workout over the summer and if he doesnt come back a complete beast send him back to the Q
Read the post above yours

Old
04-15-2013, 01:08 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Read the post above yours
The post above doesn't address what he's saying. He's not talking about putting Grigorenko in the AHL next year, he's talking about putting Grigs there right now to finish out the season. Then next year, he said, either Grigs shows up looking great and sticks, or goes back to the Q.

I agree with all of that.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:39 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
The post above doesn't address what he's saying. He's not talking about putting Grigorenko in the AHL next year, he's talking about putting Grigs there right now to finish out the season. Then next year, he said, either Grigs shows up looking great and sticks, or goes back to the Q.

I agree with all of that.
Oh wow...

Sorry, I shouldn't read while tired

Old
04-15-2013, 02:13 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackGroundMusic View Post

Ott isn't really a bad linemate in theory as he goes to tough areas and creates space, but the way he's been used under Rolston would make him unsuitable (highly defensive role).

The linemate argument doesn't float for me though, as Grigorenko is the only one to blame for his ice time and linemates.
If he deserved more of a role, he would have gotten it.
He didn't though, as he was horrid in his extremely sheltered role.

Old
04-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Woodhouse

vCash: 50
Grigorenko will not forget Quebec:
Quote:
"I would like to finish the season in Buffalo, but if I go to Rochester, it will also be a great experience," said the Russian skater, who turns 19 on May 16.
Quote:
"It was a very special year, and playing at different levels has given me a lot of experience," he said. "It was a good season for me, but my goal for next year is to play in the NHL, and I hope that I will not have to play anywhere else than in Buffalo."
Quote:
"We faced a very good team and I believe that we were not ready, so it's disappointing. I did not play as well as I could have, but the players of Rouyn-Noranda played very tight defensively and they were strong, not just against me, but against the whole team."

"It is true that [Iamgold Arena] has plenty of space on the ice out there, but we did not play well at the Coliseum either. Now, there is nothing that can be done."

And the future? "I will train hard this summer," he said. "I have to be stronger physically and mentally. I want to be a player who will make a difference."

"I spent two great years here and I will never forget the people at the Pepsi Coliseum screaming my name: Grigo! Grigo! It was fantastic. I just had my last meeting with Patrick [Roy] and I hope that we will one day find ourselves [in the same team]."

Old
04-15-2013, 12:41 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
That last part about hoping that he and his coach will be on the same team again in the future is interesting, even if just hopeful wishing.

Saying the right things, now needs to do the right things in the off season. I would like him to prep for and play in Amerks play-offs then get ready for camp.

Old
04-15-2013, 12:55 PM
sabrefan27

I don't see why the Sabres are taking a couple days to even think about this. He should be in Rochester this week and practicing with the team. Same with Catenacci. I hope to see both when they play Toronto on Friday night.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
I don't see why the Sabres are taking a couple days to even think about this. He should be in Rochester this week and practicing with the team. Same with Catenacci. I hope to see both when they play Toronto on Friday night.
Yep, it shouldn't even be a question.

Closed Thread