HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zemgus Girgensons, Center 14th Overall, 2012

Old
04-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
With regards to the original post (obviously this has been bumped) and the recent conversation about wing & center: At the time he was drafted, it seemed he could be equally destined to play wing or center, ideally on the 3rd line but possibly on a 2nd line (as a winger).

The addition of Larsson adds another guy who projects as both C/W on the 3rd line, along with Zemgus and Catenacci (along with other wingers as well as unforeseen additions). It's really impossible to say who would be better suited for playing center but I'd say if those players were actually playing together on a line then it wouldn't matter much, anyhow. Larsson and Z seem to have a similar (proportional) amount of experience at both positions at this stage of their careers, and Cat seems like he'd take well to the wing.

I remember there was some debate with people being upset he wasn't starting out as a center in Rochester, as they felt it might hamper his development as a center. Understandable, but I didn't and still don't agree. I felt this way at the time but even moreso now: we now have many young centermen in the organization. They're going to have to take playing time where they can get it. It's unlikely that a prospect's ability to play center will be hurt much (if at all) by getting the bulk of his pro development time at wing for a while. On top of that, it's even more clear now that all of our top center prospects/young guns will not all be able to play center at the same time: Hodgson/Grigorenko/Ennis as scoring line centers, Zemgus/Larsson/(Cat.. if you put him in with this level of prospect), as "middle six"-calibre guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorton02 View Post
I see Zemgus' ceiling as Michael Peca. Floor, Pat Kaleta
I don't buy his floor as Kaleta. I'm not saying he'll even make it in the NHL -- maybe he'll get derailed by injuries -- but if he does, then his floor should be that of a different and at least slightly better player. He has far better offensive tools and will probably be a better defensive player when he enters the league than Pat was (Kaleta really grew into being a very solid defensive player).

Last edited by Rob Paxon: 04-12-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Well, Girgensons' agent's call yesterday could be a coincidence, but the result of Regier's ongoing internal discussions has seen Girgensons moved to center versus OKC tonight, between Rissmiller and Rankin.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:41 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Well, Girgensons' agent's call yesterday could be a coincidence, but the result of Regier's ongoing internal discussions has seen Girgensons moved to center versus OKC tonight, between Rissmiller and Rankin.

Excited to see how he does.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:23 PM
BalticWarrior

"Latvian Locomotive" with a PP goal last night for amerks

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:11 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
If he can be a Sean Couturier type player I would be more than pleased.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgothemo View Post
Great comparison....I was thinking more along the lines of another "older" tough dude type, that just happened to be apart of one of the greatest lines in history. You know the one with that Finnish guy on it.

Messier-Gretzky-Kurri <--He's a FINN

Girgensons-Grigorenko-Armia <--He's a FINN

And Cmon, G for Gretz and Grigs. Cmon!!!

Open up the ice and its the 80's all over again.

DISCLAIMER: My only wild claim is Grigorenko.
You're comparing Girgensons to an NHL sophomore that... Nevermind. The Couturier love fest is tiresome. So far, a solid defensive NHL center. If he continues this trajectory, sure.... But to hope a kid that's basically his age becomes "like him" at this point in their careers is quite....awkwardly off IMO.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:18 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
You're comparing Girgensons to an NHL sophomore that... Nevermind. The Couturier love fest is tiresome. So far, a solid defensive NHL center. If he continues this trajectory, sure.... But to hope a kid that's basically his age becomes "like him" at this point in their careers is quite....awkwardly off IMO.

Just another example of if it's repeated enough over and over on message boards it suddenly becomes an unshakeable truth.

For all we know Couts becomes nothing more than Frans Nielson ... not that the Frans of the worlds aren't important or valuable to a team but.......

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 02:58 AM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

I think that, at his peak, he could score 45-50 points and be great defensively. I would be unbelievably happy with that. At his worst, I think he'll be a consistent 30 point defensive monster.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 04:37 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
If he can be a Sean Couturier type player I would be more than pleased.
Sabres fans are so hooked on him...

Tough, defensive minutes with 40-50 points. Future captain/A. Locker room leader. 2nd/3rd line centre.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 04:45 AM
Grahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
I think that, at his peak, he could score 45-50 points and be great defensively. I would be unbelievably happy with that. At his worst, I think he'll be a consistent 30 point defensive monster.
From a guy like girgensons, I kind of rather want the 30 point defensive monster

Grahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:00 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahn View Post
From a guy like girgensons, I kind of rather want the 30 point defensive monster
I will respectively disagree with you.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahn View Post
Sounds like Gaustad.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:43 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Sounds like Gaustad.
Goose was never a shutdown guy.
He was an excellent faceoff guy and a very good PKer, but I wouldn't say he was ever used in a shutdown role, at least not successfully.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:23 AM
sabresandcanucks

He plays so similar to Kesler...even better...at his current age. I see his ceiling at 50 - 60 points...maybe even a 30 goal season at his peak as well as being a defensive beast and solid energy player.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:38 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
He plays so similar to Kesler...even better...at his current age. I see his ceiling at 50 - 60 points...maybe even a 30 goal season at his peak as well as being a defensive beast and solid energy player.
Well, if his ceiling is 50-60 points, realistically it wouldn't be wrong to assume (not expect) him to regularly get 40-50. Maybe 18-25 goals a year?

And be defensively proficient...

Not too shabby for a 3rd liner

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:22 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Goose was never a shutdown guy.
He was an excellent faceoff guy and a very good PKer, but I wouldn't say he was ever used in a shutdown role, at least not successfully.
Goose was used once for a few weeks in a shutdown role leading up to the deadline he was traded. He and his linemates (Gerbe/Kaleta) were pretty effective in that role. But your general point is correct that he was not really used in the role of shutdown center.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 01:04 AM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

How is he coming along?

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 02:16 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinho View Post
How is he coming along?
He's a beast, wouldnt mind him being in the AHL to work on his offensive game but he's good enough to be a NHL third liner right now

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 06:30 AM
Deevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinho View Post
How is he coming along?
He's been one of our best forwards all year.

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 11:17 AM
gallagt01

Upon reading a Leafs fan's assessment of Girgensons in his thread on the prospect board...

Is it fair to say that Girgensons has more skill than he's given credit for? Some of his drives to the net are beautiful. He's creative with the puck and he makes quick decisions.

He's by no means a dangler, but couple his work ethic and 200-foot commitment with his apparent skill level and Buffalo really does have something special on its hands in Girgensons.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 01:31 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
Upon reading a Leafs fan's assessment of Girgensons in his thread on the prospect board...

Is it fair to say that Girgensons has more skill than he's given credit for? Some of his drives to the net are beautiful. He's creative with the puck and he makes quick decisions.

He's by no means a dangler, but couple his work ethic and 200-foot commitment with his apparent skill level and Buffalo really does have something special on its hands in Girgensons.
His skill has definitely started to shine more of late. His passing plays have gotten more creative in the last several games. I'm starting to wonder just how high his ceiling is... With that work ethic, might he be able to turn himself into a legitimate (ie: not complementary guy who fits in riding shotgun to more skilled players) 1st liner? Dunno. Very excited to watch and find out. In any case, I think we've got a building block on our hands. Zemgus is future captain material.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 03:17 PM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
His skill has definitely started to shine more of late. His passing plays have gotten more creative in the last several games. I'm starting to wonder just how high his ceiling is... With that work ethic, might he be able to turn himself into a legitimate (ie: not complementary guy who fits in riding shotgun to more skilled players) 1st liner? Dunno. Very excited to watch and find out. In any case, I think we've got a building block on our hands. Zemgus is future captain material.
If his shot continues to develop his game mirrors Ryan Kesler's very closely...Zemgus does not do the diving/theatrics Kesler is known for but has the same type of "beast mode" upside...once he fills out his body I see use having a near clone of Ryan Kesler.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

I notice him attacking the net a lot more recently as well.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Namejs

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Well, he's always been creative. I'm pretty sure early in the season he was playing very simple hockey, because that's what they asked of him.

So he hasn't exactly 'progressed' as much as:
a) he simply feels comfortable/more used to playing in NHL now;
b) his role has been changed from that of a defensive, shut-down line forward to a more aggressive forward, who drives to the net and stays in the offensive zone as long as possible.

Under Rolston he returned to defense immediately as the Sabres weren't in full control of the puck in the offensive zone, often he'd bolt back to the blue line 'just in case'. Often he wasn't even trying to produce anything offensively. As someone who has been monitoring him very closely during most Sabres games, there's a very distinct difference between his style of play under Rolston and his game under Nolan.

The more 1st-line minutes he gets, the more fancy stuff you can see him coming up with, and most of the stuff that he does on ice ends up being productive. He's the best puck possession guy on the team right now and he does contribute offensively himself. The no-look passes, backpasses between the legs, etc., are just beautiful to watch.

He's not going to be limited to a grinding role in the bottom 6, but calling him a potential legit 1st-liner on a good team probably would be a bit of a stretch as well.

I absolutely agree that he needs to continue developing his shot. Other than that I can't really see any flaws to his game. I guess improving his balance on skates is probably the only other thing that comes to mind. Sometimes it feels like he falls to the ice a little too easily. Or is it just me?

Namejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 03:58 PM
Mike203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post
Well, he's always been creative. I'm pretty sure early in the season he was playing very simple hockey, because that's what they asked of him.

So he hasn't exactly 'progressed' as much as:
a) he simply feels comfortable/more used to playing in NHL now;
b) his role has been changed from that of a defensive, shut-down line forward to a more aggressive forward, who drives to the net and stays in the offensive zone as long as possible.

Under Rolston he returned to defense immediately as the Sabres weren't in full control of the puck in the offensive zone, often he'd bolt back to the blue line 'just in case'. Often he wasn't even trying to produce anything offensively. As someone who has been monitoring him very closely during most Sabres games, there's a very distinct difference between his style of play under Rolston and his game under Nolan.

The more 1st-line minutes he gets, the more fancy stuff you can see him coming up with, and most of the stuff that he does on ice ends up being productive. He's the best puck possession guy on the team right now and he does contribute offensively himself. The no-look passes, backpasses between the legs, etc., are just beautiful to watch.

He's not going to be limited to a grinding role in the bottom 6, but calling him a potential legit 1st-liner on a good team probably would be a bit of a stretch as well.

I absolutely agree that he needs to continue developing his shot. Other than that I can't really see any flaws to his game. I guess improving his balance on skates is probably the only other thing that comes to mind. Sometimes it feels like he falls to the ice a little too easily. Or is it just me?
I agree completely.

Mike203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 07:03 AM
Heraldic

vCash: 50
Zemgus is a guy who is easy to like. His offensive game has gotten a lot better with more responsibility and not being hand-cuffed in the o-zone entries like he was with Rolston.

I don't think he has the same offensive upside, but he reminds me in many ways of Rob Brind'amour.

Heraldic is offline   Reply With Quote