HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Caps Trade Deadline Thread III (The Filip Forsberg Kerfuffle)

Old
04-14-2013, 09:55 PM
tycoonheart

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
It's just as I suspected... watching that gave me absolutely No meaningful insight into the long-term repercussions of that trade.

Maybe someone posted this somewhere and it got skipped over, but I suspect that picking up Erat was also insurance on Laich's groin; with all of their experience with these injuries, the FO must have known #21 was a coin-toss for off-season surgery or even finishing the season and the success of the OV-to-right-wing experiment leaves that side pretty bare otherwise. They have a healthy 2LW now and under contract for next year.
Good post.

And it also makes Laich expendable. Erat is suited for the top 6 more so than Laich is. Maybe he can fetch us something decent in a deal in the offseason.

I like our forwards right now, more so than I have in the past few years. 2C is going to be the big question mark. Hopefully McPhee works some magic and resigns Ribs at a decent rate.

With a decent defensive upgrade, this team could become pretty dominant in the next couple of years.

I'm drinking the koolaid.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:02 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

"Oh Yeah"

Agreed, but what can they get for Laich until he proves he can play again. I actually hope they consider some sort of action for getting injured in the Suisse League.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:05 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
"Oh Yeah"

Agreed, but what can they get for Laich until he proves he can play again. I actually hope they consider some sort of action for getting injured in the Suisse League.
Hopefully he has surgery and rehabs well.

The guy still holds value in the league. Fans seem to be clamoring for him (hopefully GMs are too).

I think Ottawa wanted him big time when he was a FA couple of years ago.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:10 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Any of the Canadian teams. How rad would it be to pitch BrooksLaich back to Ottawa for something useful though?

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:30 PM
Zorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
I can read a weather map, too. That doesn't mean I need to dedicate my life to being a meteorologist when I just want to know if it's going to rain.

But then again, if any of us knew anything about weather, we'd be weathermen.
Quoting for awesomeness. And it was a bad trade, but bad trades happen. I already pretty much forgot that Forsberg ever was a Caps property. After all, we could have Getzlaf, remember?

Zorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:23 AM
IafrateOvie34

I hope Erat becomes a 50 goal scorer or has a John Druce post season. I didn't like the trade, but good grief NBCS and NHL.com are acting like Forsberg is the second coming of Gretzky or something.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 04:37 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Oh I love the whole omg hes not an all star or Wayne Gretzky!!!!

Complaining other people are overreacting while coming up with stupid **** responses like this because people praise obvious talent from Forsberg. He showed more as a guy adjusting to NHL ice in his first NHL game than Erat thus far as shown.

Forsberg showed clearly on the PP, he would be perfect for PP2 slot position. Where as Erat has shown what, Oates isn't impressed, isn't giving him time on PP or OT.

On top of that you guys don't clearly ****ing understand the cap situation. They have to re-sign MoJo, Alzner, and Neuvy and then add in needing to Kuznetsov after his seasons over next year...

Last edited by SimplySensational: 04-15-2013 at 04:44 AM.
SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 05:29 AM
g00n
*le sigh*

Even without the trade, when you have an 18 year old fly into the country one day and the meet the team and play on national television the next, it's impressive. And for the most part he looked pretty damn comfortable and even aggressive/good out there.

But again, if the Caps win the Cup with Erat, I will not care about FF very much.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 06:44 AM
Coldplay619

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Oh I love the whole omg hes not an all star or Wayne Gretzky!!!!

Complaining other people are overreacting while coming up with stupid **** responses like this because people praise obvious talent from Forsberg. He showed more as a guy adjusting to NHL ice in his first NHL game than Erat thus far as shown.

Forsberg showed clearly on the PP, he would be perfect for PP2 slot position. Where as Erat has shown what, Oates isn't impressed, isn't giving him time on PP or OT.

On top of that you guys don't clearly ****ing understand the cap situation. They have to re-sign MoJo, Alzner, and Neuvy and then add in needing to Kuznetsov after his seasons over next year...
Erat has only played three games for us, and in the second one he got boarded 5 minutes in

You are giving too much benefit of the doubt to Forsberg, while you are giving none to Erat despite the fact that he's a known quantity in the NHL.

Coldplay619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:05 AM
Capsman

I have no complaints about Erat, I agree that it's way too early to evaluate what he can bring to this team. But we did get a chance to see some of Forsberg's skills, against good (and motivated) NHL competition. And what I saw was a guy with a high ceiling. As someone mentioned earlier I almost saw a little Semin in him. Not the swiftest skater in the world but tremendous hands, excellent vision, and a quick release. Certainly not someone I would give up on that quickly.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:26 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
I hope Erat becomes a 50 goal scorer or has a John Druce post season. I didn't like the trade, but good grief NBCS and NHL.com are acting like Forsberg is the second coming of Gretzky or something.
Yeah I noticed that too but really they didn't have much to pump the game about. Nashville normally isn't a very sexy teams and whatever skill they have is totally injured. Forsberg was about the only thing interesting they could talk about when it came to them.

Kid looked good but they did thrust him into a very visible position getting prime ice time.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:45 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2714
Filip Forsberg 2 gives and a -2 and his team loses.

It's all your fault.

George dodges the first bullet.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:54 AM
txpd

i hope the kid has a good career. the freak out over him is a hoot. i bet next season post olympics when kuznetsov shows up, i bet there is no such attention. i bet caps fans barely notice. i bet the national hockey media cares less. kuznetsov could start with a goal and an assist in a win and nothing will come of it.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:11 AM
g00n
*le sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

It's all your fault.

I don't know what happened on the other goal but he was nowhere near the first one. He also had some great takeaways and created several scoring chances, whether or not those show up in the stats.

Bottom line is the 18 year old kid got off a plane and was instantly dangerous in an NHL game. This makes me scratch my head regarding what I've heard about the Caps scouts.

Again, anyone see anything that would make the Caps scouts go sour on him??

Old
04-15-2013, 08:15 AM
BobRouse

Quote:

It's all your fault.

Could you imagine the insanity here if FF got on the scoresheet and Nash won??

I had the popcorn in the microwave just incase that was the outcome.

haha

Clearly we know those stats don't show but the kid can play and is definitely an NHL player. Good for him and Nashville.

Erat acquisition looms large for us now tho with the potential of missing Laich for an extended period. He's a better 2nd line LW than #21 anyhow.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:28 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
I don't know what happened on the other goal but he was nowhere near the first one. He also had some great takeaways and created several scoring chances, whether or not those show up in the stats.

Bottom line is the 18 year old kid got off a plane and was instantly dangerous in an NHL game. This makes me scratch my head regarding what I've heard about the Caps scouts.

Again, anyone see anything that would make the Caps scouts go sour on him??
That's my point, watching him last night made me realize it really was GMGM thinking about making the playoffs this season and nothing else. All the "Caps soured on him" and "we unanimously agreed" stuff was damage control. Of course we can't predict whether be will reach his potential or not, but he has some fine tools to work with.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:43 AM
CAPITAL PUNISHMENT

Forsberg's First Game

Did anyone watch Forsberg play in his first NHL game last night against Detroit?

What did you guys think?

He played 18:37 and was minus 2. He also traveled from Sweden the night before and had little to no practice time with the team.

He was playing on the Left Wing. Why did we trade him for a LW if he is going to play wing in Smashville?

CAPITAL PUNISHMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Lawrencejame

He looked really good imo. He has good hands, good vision, smooth skater. The thing is though, hes going to get a really good chance in NSH, especially with all the hype. If he were still a Cap, I doubt he would see ice time this year.

Impossible to say if it was a bad or good trade yet. Only time will tell and by that time, it won't really matter anyways lol (years into forsbergs career).

I will say, I expected him to look worse then he did.

Lawrencejame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:14 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Based on that picture it seems FF is a right handed shot playing LW. Oates prefers LW's shoot left, or something like that. Hence why he was projected as a RW for the Caps, and the Caps have a lot of RW's and are thin at left hand shoot LW's.

Hope that makes sense. Rough Monday already.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:44 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

I don't think the Caps soured on him, they just never wanted him nor even had him in their plan on draft day. Is it not obvious from watching us on the clock before we selected him? There was debate so there were doubters on day 1. Its those same guys here now. They simply saw value in him at 11 so they grabbed him.

They did what so many seem to say its best to do here, that GM's do not always do. Go BPA blind. even if its position of strength.

He probably didn't wow enough over the past year to change how they felt. I do not believe he was ever in our plans other than as a trade chip.

George sold at a bad time to find value. We must make a very strong playoff push to validate the move.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:49 AM
kicksavedave
yeahright

Quote:
I don't think the Caps soured on him, they just never wanted him nor had him in their plan on draft day. Is it not obvious from watching us on the clock before we selected him? There was debate so there were doubters on day 1. Its those same guys here now. They simply saw value in him at 11 so they grabbed him.

They did what so many seem to say its best to do here, that GM's do not always do. Go BPA blind. even if its position of strength.

He probably didn't wow enough over the past year to change how they felt. I do not believe he was ever in our plans.
If our "plan" can't find a spot for the Swedish Jr player of the year, Captain of the World Jr Champs, and the 24th rated prospect on HF given than ~half of the ones above him are already in the NHL, then maybe we should come up with a new "plan".

Or maybe new scouts?

A new GM?

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:02 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksavedave View Post
If our "plan" can't find a spot for the Swedish Jr player of the year, Captain of the World Jr Champs, and the 24th rated prospect on HF given than ~half of the ones above him are already in the NHL, then maybe we should come up with a new "plan".

Or maybe new scouts?

A new GM?
Absolutely. I do not know how long the vision of moving Ovi to RW was in play, but we pay Brouwer and Ward tidy sums - closer to top 6 rates than bottom 6. Fehr is meh but in the mix. Kuz of course rounds out a position of strength.

So we are fairly set at RW.

Maybe wanting a tougher lineup is in play. I suspect if Filip played more like a viking, he would be in our lineup Tuesday night, and George would have done a backflip off the table on draft day.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:13 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

He played RW and is a RW. He looked good. Only complaint I have and its probably not accurate, but he appeared to not be very agile. Almost expected for a big young kid, and its really nitpicking to even mention it. Watch his turning radius. Otherwise his skating looked great.

Make no mistake, he would be in Hershey had we retained him. Which would be better for him including next year, right?

I do not trust George's development of our prospects. Consider that when evaluating this trade. We often seem to move guys out of their natural position, and role. MJ played almost every top 12 spot. Alzner, RD. even Nick started as a scoreless LW for 19 games. Fehr rarely to never got 1RW time yet sure posted respectable numbers in low TOI / little PP time. That was the position we drafted him for, of course.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 04-15-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old
04-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Acallabeth
Get well soon Octopi

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Not sure why we should have a thread about another team's player making his NHL debut.

Acallabeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:22 AM
g00n
*le sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
Not sure why we should have a thread about another team's player making his NHL debut.
Really?