HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The official Munenori Kawasaki fan club (avatars/wallpapers: posts #1-4)

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2013, 06:39 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

vCash: 500
Bonifacio to LF and Cabrera to RF would take advantage of Melky's superior arm, Boni wouldn't be quite as exposed in left...

Old
04-15-2013, 06:42 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

In case anyone was wondering; Brett Lawrie turned two double plays yesterday. Also had no errors FWIW.

Also went 2 for 4 with a couple singles, though I'm sure that's been mentioned in the thread already.

Old
04-15-2013, 07:00 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
In case anyone was wondering; Brett Lawrie turned two double plays yesterday. Also had no errors FWIW.

Also went 2 for 4 with a couple singles, though I'm sure that's been mentioned in the thread already.
Yea and he was tweeting about how nice it is to be back at second. I think if AA likes what he sees he may switch Bautista to 3B and Lawrie to 2B for a while, and if its works out for a while (month or two) then maybe we will have it when Reyes gets back.

Old
04-15-2013, 07:14 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

If Lawrie comes and does great at second a lot of people here el be wishing they didn't say it was impossible last season.

Old
04-15-2013, 07:22 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
If Lawrie comes and does great at second a lot of people here el be wishing they didn't say it was impossible last season.
It depends what you define as "great." If he's just passable at the position, which he very well can be because of how great an athlete he is, I'm not sure many people should be eating crow. However, if he is able to supply the same metric defensive value at 2B that he does at 3B, or surpasses those numbers, then yes, people should be backtracking on their words.

Old
04-15-2013, 07:47 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

I wonder if this potential move of Lawrie to 2B makes the drafting of a Kris Bryant that much more likely. It's a stretch to say there's a correlation between the two, but if Lawrie is viable at 2B, that's a good portion of your future infield in place. It didn't strike me as a possibility until now.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:20 AM
TheTotalPackage

Wasn't there talk well prior to Reyes's injury about trying Lawrie at 2nd and moving Bautista to 3rd? This may be a blessing in disguise because running an infield of Bautista-Reyes-Lawrie-Encarnacion could become something special. One downfall I see from this is that Lawrie's arm would be underutilized.

Then one of Rasmus or Gose could potentially move over to RF. I don't know how difficult the transition would be, but I'm inclined to Gose moving over due to his arm. Rasmus's and Gose's speed in the outfield? They'd cover A LOT of ground.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:27 AM
Bob Barker

Quote:
I wonder if this potential move of Lawrie to 2B makes the drafting of a Kris Bryant that much more likely. It's a stretch to say there's a correlation between the two, but if Lawrie is viable at 2B, that's a good portion of your future infield in place. It didn't strike me as a possibility until now.
I think the unlikely part is that Bryant will still be on the board by the time the Jays pick. But time will tell.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:39 AM
Canada4Gold

I don't understand why Reyes getting hurt suddnely has sparked conversation about Lawrie playing 2nd.

Reyes gets hurt so we decide to try Lawrie(who was playing 3rd) at 2nd, Bautista(who was playing RF) at 3rd, and Bonifacio(who was playing 2nd) to RF.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the Reyes injury, you're basically just switching 3 positions around.

So why has the Reyes injury sparked that option in the minds of AA and Gibbons?

Might it have more to do with Bonifacio's defense at 2nd?

imo playing Lawrie at 2nd for the first time in 3(?) years, putting Boneface in RF when his arm isn't great and wasting Bautista's arm at 3rd isn't as good defense as Bautista in RF, Lawrie at 3rd, and Boneface at 2nd.

Just play Izturis at SS, and Boneface at 2nd until Reyes comes back imo. They're trying to overcomplicate things

Old
04-15-2013, 08:46 AM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada4Gold View Post
I don't understand why Reyes getting hurt suddnely has sparked conversation about Lawrie playing 2nd.

Reyes gets hurt so we decide to try Lawrie(who was playing 3rd) at 2nd, Bautista(who was playing RF) at 3rd, and Bonifacio(who was playing 2nd) to RF.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the Reyes injury, you're basically just switching 3 positions around.

imo playing Lawrie at 2nd for the first time in 3(?) years, putting Boneface in RF when his arm isn't great and wasting Bautista's arm at 3rd isn't as good defense as Bautista in RF, Lawrie at 3rd, and Boneface at 2nd.

Just play Izturis at SS, and Boneface at 2nd until Reyes comes back imo. They're trying to overcomplicate things
You can only afford to have so many all defense no bat guys at once. Losing Reyes means 1 less impact bat. You can somewhat negate that by moving Jose to 3rd and Lawrie to 2nd and adding a better hitter to the outfield than izturis or derosa. Also allows them to keep bonifacio in the lineup without worrying about the defensive lapses.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:54 AM
mapes

Quote:

Well we lose one of our biggest offensive threats so in turn to counter that, they're trying to get better defence. Will it work? Who knows but it's worth a shot.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
I think the unlikely part is that Bryant will still be on the board by the time the Jays pick. But time will tell.
I've seen him ranked anywhere from 3 to 20 on mock drafts, so you never know. Could also be in love with Colin Moran.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Canada4Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
You can only afford to have so many all defense no bat guys at once. Losing Reyes means 1 less impact bat. You can somewhat negate that by moving Jose to 3rd and Lawrie to 2nd and adding a better hitter to the outfield than izturis or derosa. Also allows them to keep bonifacio in the lineup without worrying about the defensive lapses.
My point being the original plan without the Reyes injury was

Lawrie(3rd), Bautista(RF), Bonifacio(2nd).

if we now go with

Lawrie(2nd), Bautista(3rd), Bonifacio(RF)

That doesn't help the lineup at all, same exact 3 hitters hitting out of the same 3 places, they're just switched around in their defensive places.

The only advantage to it would be to get Bonifacio off of 2nd base because he's sucked defensively thus far, but I'd rather have Bonifacio at 2nd, Lawrie at 3rd and Bautista in RF.

If it is about being better defensively, then why did the Reyes injury spark the talk? You could have did this anyway with Reyes in the lineup too and accomplished the same thing?

Old
04-15-2013, 08:57 AM
shaner89

Gibbons is a moron. This just doesn't do anything well or properly.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:02 AM
LeafDangler

Quote:

if we now go with

That doesn't help the lineup at all, same exact 3 hitters hitting out of the same 3 places, they're just switched around in their defensive places.

The only advantage to it would be to get Bonifacio off of 2nd base because he's sucked defensively thus far, but I'd rather have Bonifacio at 2nd, Lawrie at 3rd and Bautista in RF.

If it is about being better defensively, then why did the Reyes injury spark the talk? You could have did this anyway with Reyes in the lineup too and accomplished the same thing?
I'm thinking it allows them a lot more flexibility. Bonifacio can be platooned and used as a super sub. It also opens up the possibility of bringing up Gose. Just speculation

Old
04-15-2013, 09:04 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
I'm thinking it allows them a lot more flexibility. Bonifacio can be platooned and used as a super sub. It also opens up the possibility of bringing up Gose. Just speculation
AA has stated that there are no plans to bring him up anytime soon. Sierra would be more likely.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:13 AM
TheTotalPackage

Quote:

if we now go with

My methodology is that they don't use Bonifacio every day. He hasn't started well at 2nd and the limited action in CF/RF has shown he likely won't throw many guys out, whether it be at home or 3rd. Try to go with the best defence possible for the time being. Ideally that'd be bringing up Gose, but since that has been squashed, I can get on board with the Sierra addition.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Bob Barker

Quote:
I've seen him ranked anywhere from 3 to 20 on mock drafts, so you never know. Could also be in love with Colin Moran.
Absolutely, you never know. I think it'd be great if the Jays got him. I wasn't trying to call you out. Just saying I think (unfortunately) he'll be gone.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:42 AM
toronto murphy laws

Dickey being interviewed by Gian Ghomeshi on CBC right now.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:56 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
Absolutely, you never know. I think it'd be great if the Jays got him. I wasn't trying to call you out. Just saying I think (unfortunately) he'll be gone.
Oh I didnt take it that way at all. You're absolutely correct. There is a high likelihood he could be gone.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:02 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto murphy laws View Post
Dickey being interviewed by Gian Ghomeshi on CBC right now.
Needs to do less interviews, and more stadium steps and bullpen sessions.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:31 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Needs to go to the Hyun-Jin Ryu strategy of not throwing a baseball between starts imo

Old
04-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

On another note, Kevin Pillar (sleeper prospect) and Deck McGuire are off to red hot starts for New Hampshire.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:17 AM
mapes

Quote:
Needs to do less interviews, and more stadium steps and bullpen sessions.
How so? Aside from one start he's been pretty good..

Old
04-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
AA has stated that there are no plans to bring him up anytime soon. Sierra would be more likely.
Doubt the team would do all that to make room for Sierra who is likely nothing more than a bench player.

Closed Thread