HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Team Canada - 2013 IIHF U18 Tournament

Old
04-13-2013, 01:35 PM
Brock

vCash: 500
Nick Baptiste (of the Sudbury Wolves) is joining the team.

Solid pick up for Canada. Was hoping he'd get the call.

Old
04-13-2013, 02:45 PM
H44

If Owen Sound doesn't play with a lot more discipline tomorrow, Chris Bigras and Zach Nastasiuk will be good additions to this team.

H44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 04:18 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Nick Baptiste (of the Sudbury Wolves) is joining the team.

Solid pick up for Canada. Was hoping he'd get the call.
Quite looking forward to seeing him play, energy role probably and I hope he can bring it.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:24 PM
HabLover

Canada/USA ex. game today, score anyone?

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hablover View Post
canada/usa ex. Game today, score anyone?
4-1 usa.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:21 PM
HabLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
4-1 usa.
Not bad, hopefully they can keep improving...

Old
04-14-2013, 08:27 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
4-1 usa.
Im reading that the usa dominated...like boys playing against men...and that usa was much faster....

I think we better change the way we think the game and actually incorporate some speed in our game...as more and more countries have caught up as we remain the same and refuse to change the way we play hockey...oh well...i guess when we dont win medals any more in WC, WJC, U18, Olympics and eventually Ivan H. tourneys than we might wake up...

MyNameIsNobody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:35 PM
nitz

vCash: 543
The USA will dominate this tournament every year. They need to time it so that everyone can have their best players there. Canada dominates the Ivan Hlinka and that one is just as much of a farce.

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:46 PM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
Im reading that the usa dominated...like boys playing against men...and that usa was much faster....

I think we better change the way we think the game and actually incorporate some speed in our game...as more and more countries have caught up as we remain the same and refuse to change the way we play hockey...oh well...i guess when we dont win medals any more in WC, WJC, U18, Olympics and eventually Ivan H. tourneys than we might wake up...
The US dominates b/c it sends its best players while Canada doesn't. Similarly, Canada dominates at Hlinka b/c it sends its best players while the US doesn't. I wouldn't read too much into either tournament.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:55 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
The US dominates b/c it sends its best players while Canada doesn't. Similarly, Canada dominates at Hlinka b/c it sends its best players while the US doesn't. I wouldn't read too much into either tournament.
The US is missing some of their top players aswell. The US plays together all year which is an advantage they are a very good team thou and deserve anything they accomplish.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:30 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Stop with the blinders guys....

Team USA ALWAYS brings faster skaters than the Canadians in ANY tournament...That includes WJC and now Olympics...

They are as fast as the russians...

The USA trains on larger surfaces and probably plays most of their games on bigger ice... This is why PK subban is such a great skater...the ice he used to play in junior was bigger than the standard...

We dont have the depth we used to have... we need to get back to this depth...

What makes me laugh are posters on this site arguing about how many teams can canada ice...LOL we cant even ice a winning team...

its a joke

MyNameIsNobody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:34 PM
puckfan13

Quote:

Team USA ALWAYS brings faster skaters than the Canadians in ANY tournament...That includes WJC and now Olympics...

The USA trains on larger surfaces and probably plays most of their games on bigger ice... This is why PK subban is such a great skater...the ice he used to play in junior was bigger than the standard...

What makes me laugh are posters on this site arguing about how many teams can canada ice...LOL we cant even ice a winning team...

its a joke
Lol yes.. Belleville's big ice produced PK Subban's supreme athletic gifts and hard work and dedication. If PK Subban played at St. Mike's College Arena he would be just as great of a skater.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:37 PM
wings5

Quote:

its a joke
This is not why they are great skaters though, you could argue they play well because they are used to playing on big ice but several players on teams that play on big ice are terrible skaters. You will be a good skater if you work on it which is what Subban does being such a hard offseason worker and what Americans focus on more than Canadians in youth hockey.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:20 PM
HabLover

Quote:

its a joke
Define 'faster'??

A straight line down the ice, a full lap of the ice, start stop start again, what??

Check out the top guys in NHL right now, pts, goals, assists, plus minus, hits, blocked shots, dmen points....check them all out, I see alot of Canadians....ohh and check out the top 10 for this years draft, hmmmmm I see alot of Canadians again, maybe like 7 out of 10, so yeah we must be doing something right.......

Thanks for the insight lol

Old
04-14-2013, 11:43 PM
HabLover

Quote:

Can we read that article too, shots were 27-21, doesnt look like men against boys?

Old
04-15-2013, 12:26 AM
H44

Quote:

its a joke
You don't have a good grasp on this tournament - not all of our best U18's can be at this tournament due to their league playoffs. The same happens at the World Championships - Canada will never do well there because of the NHL playoffs. I do agree with you when it comes to the WJC's - we need better scouting and choice of players. The game is changing - Canada needs better coaches and a change of philosophy - skill is becoming a lot more important than brawn, regardless of age.

H44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:10 AM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

I'll agree that this tournament isn't an level playing field-at least for Canada. That said, I wouldn't think that would be a problem with the vaunted depth of Canadian national teams where Team "Z" should be able to compete for a medal, but I digress.....

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:18 AM
clarkebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I'll agree that this tournament isn't an level playing field-at least for Canada. That said, I wouldn't think that would be a problem with the vaunted depth of Canadian national teams where Team "Z" should be able to compete for a medal, but I digress.....
Did you just add anything intelligent to the thread.? or does your picture say it all.

clarkebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkebr View Post
Did you just add anything intelligent to the thread.? or does your picture say it all.
Open to interpretation I guess....What do you want me to say, the tournament should be scheduled for a time when Canada can send all of it's best players-which can't currently make it due to the CHL playoffs? My point is, Canada should have enough depth to compete at this tournament regardless of player availability. I will say the U.S. has a significant built in advantage by sending the USNTDP, which gets to play together all year around against quality competition. That said, you still have to win the games.

Better?

Old
04-15-2013, 10:55 AM
clarkebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Open to interpretation I guess....What do you want me to say, the tournament should be scheduled for a time when Canada can send all of it's best players-which can't currently make it due to the CHL playoffs? My point is, Canada should have enough depth to compete at this tournament regardless of player availability. I will say the U.S. has a significant built in advantage by sending the USNTDP, which gets to play together all year around against quality competition. That said, you still have to win the games.

Better?
this tournament is not hyped by the canadian media or hockey canada. There could be a number of reasons for this, but under 18 hockey is not showcased. I don't know about other countries, but i suspect it is all the same. I would also suspect that hockey canada wishes this tournament at this time of year could be flushed.Totally useless.
To hockey USA i would add that it is a draw for their national team recruitment. What's wrong with a world championship to work towards? not all that bad. Understanding that not all the best players are available to both sides means that this tournament means very little, other than bragging rights.
I will take the US u-18 nats anytime over the Canadian side in April , but it still peaks our interest and means a lot for those that care.

clarkebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:07 PM
uggstown

So what is the agreement as to which tournament has each respective countries best players?
U17's - no - Canada sends multiple teams
Hlinka - no - USA does not include NTDP kids
U18 WC - no - many top Canadians still in CHL playoffs, some USA players as well as though not much of an issue as the USA team is 95% NTDP kids
U20 WJC - is his tourney representative of each countries best? Maybe 3-4 Canadians in NHL? Team typically CHL kids.
WC - no - many NHL guys still in playoff
Olympics - yes - both countries send best, players all available (hope so for Sochi)

Agree? Disagree?

Yesterdays game was probably what you would expect between a team that has played together all year vs. a team that was playing together for the first time. Not surprising. If I recall correctly, Canada lost to the Czech Republic in their exhibition game at the Hlinka this past summer. They will continually get better as they play a couple more games. Should be a fun tourney.

uggstown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:

The 2013 ISS Draft Rankings has 11 Canadians, 1 American in the Top 20. Hockey Writers has it 11-2. So I guess they have blinders on too.

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Garyboy

Quote:

You're aware that it's a team that's been together for 2 years versus a team that's just been thrown together for their first game, right?

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:03 PM
NHL Fanatic

Chris Peters was saying on twitter that Canada used McDavid sparingly. Wait until these teams play when it matters, Canada has added 4 new players to the roster. You can't play all your cards in exhibitions, I'm sure both teams didn't as you don't want your opponent to have an edge.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
The 2013 ISS Draft Rankings has 11 Canadians, 1 American in the Top 20. Hockey Writers has it 11-2. So I guess they have blinders on too.
What does a player's draft ranking have to do with proficency in international competition-especially at the junior level? This isn't Pokemon or who has the shiniest toys.