HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2013, 09:30 AM
sanityplease

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post

On a side note was anyone else terrified to get new skates? I really like how mine feel, but I know they have to be replaced soon. I feel like I'm going to look like a noob out there in these new skates, haha.
Yep, know how it feels. Just went through it a few months ago. New skates after 6+ years, new blade profile as well. Fortunately, I did my homework, looked @ ALL of my options (chose what logically worked the best for ME), & have experienced an amazing improvement in my skating ability & speed.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:06 AM
AIREAYE

Odd that they feel big, never heard of that phenomenon before save for when kids' feet grow and they no longer fit into a particular boot. Those stock Bauer laces are the absolute worst in the world.

I'm thinking your X:30s have broken in and worn in for long enough that you feel odd in a fresh pair. I would suggest going back with your skate socks on, try other fits and return to the Vapor to compare.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:35 PM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Odd that they feel big, never heard of that phenomenon before save for when kids' feet grow and they no longer fit into a particular boot. Those stock Bauer laces are the absolute worst in the world.

I'm thinking your X:30s have broken in and worn in for long enough that you feel odd in a fresh pair. I would suggest going back with your skate socks on, try other fits and return to the Vapor to compare.
Yeah everyone was dumbfounded. It really could have been those Bauer laces, the stiffer boot, and the fact that it was not baked. I will probably just wait until the new X70s come out and just try on a few new pairs in different sizes. They are actually only about $75 more brand new.

And I've read this board enough to know to go try on skates with my skate socks.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
On a side note was anyone else terrified to get new skates? I really like how mine feel, but I know they have to be replaced soon. I feel like I'm going to look like a noob out there in these new skates, haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease View Post
Yep, know how it feels. Just went through it a few months ago. New skates after 6+ years, new blade profile as well. Fortunately, I did my homework, looked @ ALL of my options (chose what logically worked the best for ME), & have experienced an amazing improvement in my skating ability & speed.
It's been less than a week since I started doing my research and I am hopeful that by doing my due diligence before going to a shop will help me out.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Hawks82

I'm a first time skater/skate buyer. I'm looking to start learning how to skate in a few weeks. Instead of paying $10 for skate rental at the rink, I decided to buy my own pair.

I purchased the Bauer Vapor x40 from Icewarehouse.com. They look like a real nice beginner skate at a good price. Being a first timer, I'm worried about getting a proper fit.

I wear between a 9.5-10 in street shoes and I went to Dick's Sporting Goods the other night with a friend of mine to try some skates on. They didn't have any Bauer's so I tried a pair of Easton EQ50's on. The size 9 seemed to fit pretty well. That's the size I went with. My friend who's similar in foot size tried a pair of Vapor x20 in an 8 the day before and described them as being way too snug. Sadly, they weren't there when I went.

I've been contemplating getting into an 8.5R and just working from there, the only problem is the x40's don't come in half sizes. The x50's do and they'd only cost me $35 more than the x40's.

So my questions are:

1. Is there any such thing as a "bad" skate for someone to learn how to skate on? Would the x50 be "too much" skate for a beginner?
2. Does baking a skate eliminate excess room in the toes?

Appreciate any advice...

Old
04-12-2013, 04:42 PM
AIREAYE

You mean this X:40? http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-ho...or-x40-sr.html

The X4.0? http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-ho...por-x4-sr.html

Or the soon to be released X 40? http://www.totalhockey.com/product/V...9-41/?mtx_id=0

Same applies to the X:50, X5.0, X 50 confusion.

Yeah, I know. LOL

No, baking will not eliminate excess space. Read the first couple of posts about fit. Make sure you figure out your numerical size and go from there.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Hawks82

Quote:
You mean this X:40? http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-ho...or-x40-sr.html

The X4.0? http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-ho...por-x4-sr.html

Or the soon to be released X 40? http://www.totalhockey.com/product/V...9-41/?mtx_id=0

Same applies to the X:50, X5.0, X 50 confusion.

Yeah, I know. LOL

No, baking will not eliminate excess space. Read the first couple of posts about fit. Make sure you figure out your numerical size and go from there.
They're the soon to be released ones from the totalhockey.com link.

I just got off the phone with CS at Ice Warehouse and asked if there was a huge difference in half sizes and the guy told me that because its a narrower skate that there isn't much. He also mentioned that baking them could make a difference in the toe.

Ice Warehouse has free shipping & skate returns so if the 9's run too big I can return them and upgrade if I need to.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:59 PM
AIREAYE

1/2 sizes do indeed make a difference. Like I said, you need to ensure you get the correct fit, which may or may not be Vapor. The CS person is mistaken if they think that a narrower skate will mitigate a larger size.

Do you have a good local shop where you can get fitted for skates to buy from? It seems that you don't know what size you are, never mind the type of fit you might need.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:08 PM
29Potvins

Quote:
Definitely the best idea to wait and see what they get. Let us know what happens!
UPDATE:
So the Reebok 7K+ (6D) I was looking at were actually $130, and they fit fairly well. However, as you suggest, AIREAYE, I waited for the other store to get some Bauer Nexus 400 in and tried them out today. The 5.5D were sooo comfortable. I grabbed them for $150 (hooray for junior sizes!) and am so happy. Can't wait to go for a skate/game

Thanks so much for this guide and for your advice, AIREAYE!

What's confusing to me, is how I can go from size 9 (maybe actually 8-8.5) in street shoes to 5.5 in skate size.. :S

Old
04-12-2013, 07:32 PM
AIREAYE

Excellent, hope it all works out for you sir! Keep reporting back on your experiences if you can, as it could help others.

Although that's a pretty big jump, it happens to people all the time, which is why it's imperative that a person gets fitted properly.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:39 PM
AIREAYE

edit : double post by accident

Old
04-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Hawks82

Quote:
1/2 sizes do indeed make a difference. Like I said, you need to ensure you get the correct fit, which may or may not be Vapor. The CS person is mistaken if they think that a narrower skate will mitigate a larger size.

Do you have a good local shop where you can get fitted for skates to buy from? It seems that you don't know what size you are, never mind the type of fit you might need.
Yea. There's an ice rink that's about 45 minutes from my house. I'm going to hit up the pro shop tomorrow and see if they'd be willing to measure my foot for me if I toss them $5-10. I'm getting a good deal on the skates from Ice Warehouse so I'm probably still going to get my skates from them, but I want to know for sure what size I am.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:09 PM
AIREAYE

That seems fair, though see if the shop can do anything else for you in terms of skates. Doesn't hurt to ask politely! I guess your area isn't particularly abundant in hockey retail huh?

Old
04-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Hawks82

Quote:
That seems fair, though see if the shop can do anything else for you in terms of skates. Doesn't hurt to ask politely! I guess your area isn't particularly abundant in hockey retail huh?
No, there are two pro shops...the one that's 45 minutes away and there's another one in the next state that's about 80 minutes away. That's pretty much it except for Dick's and they were charging $120 for x20's.

I've been to the pro shop that's 45 minutes away once in the past and I remember that everything was really expensive. Service was poor too...I was in there with my sister for 45 minutes and nobody approached us. We were the only people in there.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:41 PM
str8shooter
Rookie User

How does the Supreme one.8 skate compare to the top end stuff from a couple years ago? E.g. the one100?

Old
04-14-2013, 08:55 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
How does the Supreme one.8 skate compare to the top end stuff from a couple years ago? E.g. the one100?
The One.8 is closest to the One80. A high end skate though for sure, considering the level of materiel used and the stiffness of the boot.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Learn from my mistake: do not let a sale price influence fit.

Two years ago when the vapor line dropped in price significantly, I went to HM and was fitted, though given incorrect information. The toe cap in the Vapor line was too narrow, but the guy told me it would expand with breaking in time. The Supreme's felt much better, but went with advice and my desire to get a deal. Those X50sfor the most part were okay, but there were several skate switch discomfort and if I skate for too long, there still are some signs.

Yesterday (Just about two years later) I went to the LHS to check out their selection before driving to HM again as price was not going to be a determining factor (thank you back pay I didn't know I was getting), unless there was a tie. I walked out with Bauer One.9s and cannot wait to skate in them. Wearing them in the store brand new felt just as, if not more, comfortable than my current Vapors.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:19 AM
ChiTownHawks

Update:
I went to try on skates again this weekend at my LHS and ended up getting the Vapor X5.0s on clearance in a 9.5. I tried on the 9s just to see what they felt like and they were way too snug. I could tell the second I stood up in them it was going to be an issue. So I checked out the 9.5s again and really tried to get the top of the skate tight around the ankle. They actually felt pretty good so I bit the bullet and bought them. After getting them baked they felt pretty similar to my X30s except a little stiffer around the top of the boot, which I expected.

I skated on them last night for the first time and they felt pretty good. Not quite as comfortable as my 30s, but again I expected that so I was not discouraged. I think once I break these in I will be just as comfortable as I was in the 30s. No pain after the skate and none today so that is great news.

AIREAYE, when skating laps around the ice I noticed I was a little less stable on cross overs. Is that a symptom of a new skate, a stiffer boot or both. I guess I'm wondering if I'll need to change my technique at all or if this is just part of the break in period. Thanks

Old
04-15-2013, 10:02 AM
AIREAYE

It could be a bunch of factors dude, like the ones you mentioned. New steel and that you have not yet adjusted to the new skate as a whole are likely. I would suggest giving yourself a few more sessions and if they still don't feel right, troubleshoot again.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:48 AM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
It could be a bunch of factors dude, like the ones you mentioned. New steel and that you have not yet adjusted to the new skate as a whole are likely. I would suggest giving yourself a few more sessions and if they still don't feel right, troubleshoot again.
Thanks. I could not believe how much steel had been taking off my old pair. The front of the blade on the new skate has about an inch of steel whereas the old one is probably under a half and inch. This makes the angle of skate a lot different.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:57 AM
AIREAYE

If you cannot adjust, consider a profiling. Ask the shop?

Old
04-16-2013, 09:10 PM
jordanking87

finally got my new easton eq 40s sized right (first ordered a size 10, too big, went to a size 9.5...solved it). Took them to get baked and 1st sharpen at my LHS, they feel great! Cant wait to get out on them! Too bad I have to wait until stick and puck on Saturday :/ dang work schedule

update: got on the ice last night and obsolutely love the fit. I am experiencing the same issue ive read about where the blade seems to skip or chatter during hard stops and turns however im sure most of it is my beginner technique. I still had some major lower back pain after the session so Ive ordered the yellow SuperFeet and am hoping it can provide support for my arches thus eliminate or lessen the back pain.
For the first time ever the sharpening seemed to be a little off, seemed to be catching edges i normally wouldnt. The guy who did the sharpening said he did a 'flat bottom' does anyone know the advantages of this or should i ask for a traditional sharpen? thanks!

Last edited by jordanking87: 04-18-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old
04-25-2013, 01:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

SKATES - Buying Guide & Advice

Forward to Skate guide

Old
04-25-2013, 01:08 PM
ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanking87 View Post
finally got my new easton eq 40s sized right (first ordered a size 10, too big, went to a size 9.5...solved it). Took them to get baked and 1st sharpen at my LHS, they feel great! Cant wait to get out on them! Too bad I have to wait until stick and puck on Saturday :/ dang work schedule

update: got on the ice last night and obsolutely love the fit. I am experiencing the same issue ive read about where the blade seems to skip or chatter during hard stops and turns however im sure most of it is my beginner technique. I still had some major lower back pain after the session so Ive ordered the yellow SuperFeet and am hoping it can provide support for my arches thus eliminate or lessen the back pain.
For the first time ever the sharpening seemed to be a little off, seemed to be catching edges i normally wouldnt. The guy who did the sharpening said he did a 'flat bottom' does anyone know the advantages of this or should i ask for a traditional sharpen? thanks!
It is likely that since your skates just got sharpened, there's a lot of bite. Give it another session, they lose their sharpness with use (which is why they need sharpening every so often).

Old
04-25-2013, 06:46 PM
Frankie Spankie

Sigh, so anybody that saw my MLX Skate Blades thread knows I needed new blades. I got new holders with it, I just took a better look at them since I got back from the shop and there are huge splits in the boot where the holder is on one skate. You can move the whole boot off and you can hear it cracking more and more. The split is big enough that you can clearly see through it...

I didn't notice until just now and the place I went to closed almost 2 hours ago so I haven't talked to the guy who repaired them, I better get my money back for at least the damn holders and the blades...

But, nevertheless, that's a different issue. I'm going to need a new pair of skates... I have wide feet, are there any brands in particular that I should be looking at? I know some companies typically make wider boots than others. Also, I'm looking around the $400 range, any recommendations for the best skates in that range or at least what to stay away from?

Closed Thread