HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Brian Gionta

Old
04-15-2013, 12:22 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
He's a good example for the kids this year.

Next year we need an upgrade and Gio has to go.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Fern

Many of you guys have to stop thinking that you win Cups with prospects and young guns. Prospects are all hopes and many of them underachieve. That's why we won't get better by trading Gionta, Plekanec and Markov for picks and prospects. To win, your team has to be composed of a mix of young guns and good veterans. Look at Colorado, they have a great pool of young guys but no real veteran leaders. Gontia seems like a good leader.

Fern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:56 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
Many of you guys have to stop thinking that you win Cups with prospects and young guns. Prospects are all hopes and many of them underachieve. That's why we won't get better by trading Gionta, Plekanec and Markov for picks and prospects. To win, your team has to be composed of a mix of young guns and good veterans. Look at Colorado, they have a great pool of young guys but no real veteran leaders. Gontia seems like a good leader.
5 million dollars is too much to pay for a good leader.
He gets valuable ice-time on the PP and when we're down a goal with the goalie pulled. He's not effective on the offensive side of the puck anymore and we need to upgrade that.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:08 AM
HCH

Quote:
No one said get rid of all of the veterans...

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:51 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
I don't think MB sees the Habs winning the cup this year or next year. I don't think the team the Habs have now are the team that MB has in mind as far as being a contender for many years. That's why he made no moves at the TDL.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Frankenheimer

Tomas Plekanec 13
Brendan Gallagher 12
P.K. Subban 11
Max Pacioretty 11
Brian Gionta 11
Michael Ryder 10

So gionta is 2 goals off being leading scorer on a team that's second in the conference? And captain of this team? We have to be the most ungrateful fanbase in hockey.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
Tomas Plekanec 13
Brendan Gallagher 12
P.K. Subban 11
Max Pacioretty 11
Brian Gionta 11
Michael Ryder 10

So gionta is 2 goals off being leading scorer on a team that's second in the conference? And captain of this team? We have to be the most ungrateful fanbase in hockey.
It's funny to watch that phenomenon, where a handful of fans start spewing something and more tag along and take it as the truth. It's the absolute need for black sheep in the heart of fans. Desharnais, Gionta and to a lesser point Price seem to be it this year. Not surprising but certainly mind boggling.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Habtchum*

Gionta has still some gas in the tank. But using him on PP is not ideal anymore. He is very defensive aware, though.

Why not shuffle our RW a bit ?

Ryder with DD and MaxPac

Gallagher with Plekky nand Bourque

Gionta with Eller and Galchenyuk

Our smaller forwards are then spread over 3 lines.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Habster33
In Habs we trust!

I really respect Gionta as a player and for what he brings to this team but FFS MT get him off the PP and replace him by Chuckie!!!!

Habster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Tomas Plekanec 13
Brendan Gallagher 12
P.K. Subban 11
Max Pacioretty 11
Brian Gionta 11
Michael Ryder 10

Probably because he doesn't really play like someone who is 2 goals off being leading scorer?

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
Probably because he doesn't really play like someone who is 2 goals off being leading scorer?
WTF do you mean?

Goals are goals and the last I checked, they all help the team win. Man, people are looking for fleas where there aren't any I swear...

Old
04-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Frankenheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
11 goals is not a remarkable achievement. What should stand out to you is that it is on par with other top forwards on the team.

Does it make sense to you that Gionta is only a 2 goal game away from making this thread seem petty and ridiculous? Would people say the same things about the leading scorer on one of the top teams in the league?

Old
04-15-2013, 01:32 PM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
well actually after i thought about it ,you are right .we would be waaaay better off with a different and more expensive captain like say,,,,iginla?weber?sedin?marleau?look at how many rings those guys have.impressive for sure.
Im the epitome of captaincy
Dont you ever say my name again or compare Gionta to me, thank you.

CaptainIginla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 02:15 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
Im the epitome of captaincy
Dont you ever say my name again or compare Gionta to me, thank you.
sorry for your collective hangover over there in calgary, but those years worshiping Iginla when he was clearly slacking at the start of the year makes me want to take everything you say with a grain of salt. he invented the ovechkin syndrome. He's just not as good and that's why they had a hard time to squeeze in the playoffs. overated leadership skills. so many floaters on that team for so many years... never understood how he was, WITHOUT QUESTION, THE, THE, THE best leaderzzzz. pathetic.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 02:22 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Gionta might be close in goals but I'm willing to guess that if someone else had his icetime they'd be contributing more goals and points than him. Sure, he has 11G, but a guy like Gallagher (who has one more goal despite less PP time) or Pacioretty (Who no one would diasgree is better than Gio) would have way more goals if they were given Gio's PP time, let alone his ES TOI.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Frankenheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
Gionta might be close in goals but I'm willing to guess that if someone else had his icetime they'd be contributing more goals and points than him. Sure, he has 11G, but a guy like Gallagher (who has one more goal despite less PP time) or Pacioretty (Who no one would diasgree is better than Gio) would have way more goals if they were given Gio's PP time, let alone his ES TOI.
I guess you would have to statistically prove that there is a strong correlation between ice time and goal production first. I'm speculating, but I would guess there is a "diminishing return" effect. Not all ice time is qualitatively the same either in terms of offense.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I guess you would have to statistically prove that there is a strong correlation between ice time and goal production first. I'm speculating, but I would guess there is a "diminishing return" effect. Not all ice time is qualitatively the same either in terms of offense.
Plus Gionta gets tougher minutes than Galchenyuk and others, just by getting matchups against top lines. Eller's line usually get easier minutes so they can focus more energy on offense.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:06 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Plus Gionta gets tougher minutes than Galchenyuk and others, just by getting matchups against top lines. Eller's line usually get easier minutes so they can focus more energy on offense.
While Gionta's even strength time might be tougher minutes he gets an extra 3 minutes per game over Galchenyuk. He also gets almost 2 minutes more PP time per game than Galchenyuk and those can hardly be considered tough minutes. I am not sure of the PP setup but my guess is that Gionta is usually on with Markov and Subban while Gally is likely on with the second defensive pairing.

I think caution needs to be used when comparing tough minutes with easy minutes.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:06 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You guys make a very good point. Gionta does have hard minutes to play, and if he we're to be moved off of Plek's wing the defensive assignments would change, and there's no guarantee others would fill his role defensively. I'll grant you that. But if you were to remove him only from the PP, the others would have way more goals and ultimately the team would be better off. Gionta's a dead weight on the PP, and he's a waste of a spot because he's holding back production.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:44 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Do yourself a favour and do some research by answering the following questions:

1. How many 3rd liners score 25-30 goals per season?

2. How much money to other 25-30 goals scorers make in today's NHL?

Then come back and re-post what you just wrote.
u telling me this signing made sense ?

5 friggin million for him , and wtf he did he get us for 5 mil?

he took his money and ran to the bank like all overpaid ufa`s we paid like Cammy , etc..

you can get a Fedotenko type for 1.75 a year to do the same job given his minutes , pp time , etc... with size to boot

made no sense from day one , we arent a Gio away from anything

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:15 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Haterade aside, I think benching Gionta for a game would send a hard message to everyone. And it's not like he doesn't deserve to be benched for a game, given his play.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:20 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
u telling me this signing made sense ?

5 friggin million for him , and wtf he did he get us for 5 mil?

he took his money and ran to the bank like all overpaid ufa`s we paid like Cammy , etc..

you can get a Fedotenko type for 1.75 a year to do the same job given his minutes , pp time , etc... with size to boot

made no sense from day one , we arent a Gio away from anything
Laugh all you want, but you haven't done your homework yet to deserve your gold star...

1. How many 3rd liners score 25-30 goals per season?

2. How much money to other 25-30 goals scorers make in today's NHL?

Then come back and re-post what you just wrote.

Old
04-16-2013, 08:24 AM
charlie

vCash: 358
Guys like Gionta, Moen, Armstrong are the kind of players you want to go into the playoffs with.
I am hoping everyones mindset will be changed once the reg. season is over.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:12 PM
Roulin

Not very surprising: Plekanec's on-ice numbers this season have been slightly better with Gionta than without. Gionta's numbers completely fall apart without Plekanec.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/show...012-13&sit=5v5

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Frankenheimer

Welp, there it is, gionta now tied for team lead in goals.