Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2013, 11:29 AM
aresknights

vCash: 500
I don think Tigers was trying to do anything other than help clarify a few things he's comfortable letting out, it seems to me he was trying to help. And by the reaction not sure hed do it again lol.

I'm going to guess tigers is not working in London but don't know him. Ill also guess he's worked with or for a few different teams over the years

London's paper wouldn't out the knights either. The same way the Windsor paper hasn't The LFP are at times real brutal with coverage. They stepped on some toes years ago and not sure if that has left ill feelings or not. It's that way in many papers in towns with teams from all sports. Is it right, maybe not, but its easy to see why they do it.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
I don think Tigers was trying to do anything other than help clarify a few things he's comfortable letting out, it seems to me he was trying to help. And by the reaction not sure hed do it again lol.
I get frustrated when posters through things out there without knowledge of the rules or the workings on behind the scenes.

Suggesting that players manipulate the draft process all the time yet that poster has never once actually spent time in a rink talking to the parents/players. Its so rare now. Domi and Gilmour didn't talk for a year after that draft because of the Front's selecting Max, it was hardly a 'deal' between the two.

Talking about what 'should' happen in total absolutes, yet with no understanding of the circumstances or rules. Ill never understand why someone would suggest something was one way, without any actual knowledge of it.

I understand the tribalism of sports. You are part of the team, you are emotionally attached to said team. Every call that goes against them is a bad one, every referee is against them, happens at every level, such is sports.

But to continue that into conspiracies and such, assuming that anyone who challenges that conspiracy part of said conspiracy... that's on another level.

I wish the Spit fans well, I get the frustration, but your only a few years removed from back to back memorial cup wins, I can think of about 15-16 teams that would love to be in that position.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:57 AM
RayzorIsDull

Tigers I understand what you're saying about the championships but watching this team right now is a lot closer to the Miami Marlins than it is another great franchise. Florida won 2 World Series in 6 years and have stunk since. Ask those fans what they think of those 2 championships I don't think you will get much of a reaction. It's becoming that way with Windsor fans now.

Old
04-15-2013, 12:29 PM
aresknights

" Domi and Gilmour didn't talk for a year after that draft because of the Front's selecting Max, it was hardly a 'deal' between the two. "

Being saying since it happened, it wasnt planned between the two, but IMO it has worked out well for both parties. Just a hockey deal.

Last edited by aresknights: 04-15-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old
04-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Raisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Tigers I understand what you're saying about the championships but watching this team right now is a lot closer to the Miami Marlins than it is another great franchise. Florida won 2 World Series in 6 years and have stunk since. Ask those fans what they think of those 2 championships I don't think you will get much of a reaction. It's becoming that way with Windsor fans now.
I think you are selling the team and the fans short here regarding the championships. I think the championships are a huge deal for the city and the fanbase. I, as a fan, would love to win every year, but that's not realistic. If fans are going to turn their backs so easily, than my view is that those are fans who were spoiled by the succes.
I agree the past 2 years have been painful, but this is not a comparable position to the Marlins; the Marlins gave the impression that they were going to build a strong team to get a stadium build and then traded everyone. Though the results may not have shown it this past year, Rychel tried to improve the team at the deadline, not sell off, and unfortunately injuries got in the way.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:04 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisy View Post
I think you are selling the team and the fans short here regarding the championships. I think the championships are a huge deal for the city and the fanbase. I, as a fan, would love to win every year, but that's not realistic. If fans are going to turn their backs so easily, than my view is that those are fans who were spoiled by the succes.
I agree the past 2 years have been painful, but this is not a comparable position to the Marlins; the Marlins gave the impression that they were going to build a strong team to get a stadium build and then traded everyone. Though the results may not have shown it this past year, Rychel tried to improve the team at the deadline, not sell off, and unfortunately injuries got in the way.
I think it's all about optics though. Fans are not turning their backs easily they can watch some poor play but then for the owner to sell their fans down the river in regards to the sanctions. They once prided themselves as a fan friendly franchise but now all they see is $$$ if they can shove fans through the gates.

I have a hard time understanding the idea of improving the team at the deadline. The talk is if there's no Memorial Cup he will strip it down. He stripped it down in 2011, in 2012 he tried to add to the group and like you said injuries hurt the team, now it's possible in 2013 he strips it down? Sounds like he's doing a dis-service to the fans and not putting any faith in his roster. I imagine you can't find many franchises that would strip it down twice in a three year period. You sell off this year you're just admitting you wasted 2 years and failed miserably. I think fans could handle average hockey for a long time span but I think fans have a breaking point and this year was close to it. Last year they had a town hall meeting for season ticket holders and all they did was screen questions from the fans. Fans didn't appreciate that from what I was told. Since their championships if there was a checklist of things not to do as an organization everything Windsor has done the past few years would be on that list.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:33 PM
OHLTG

Given the roster they had last year, I can understand the attempt to make a run and not strip it down. The team, before the injuries, wasn't bad at all. Inconsistent? Sure. Bad? No. You add Aleardi, Koko, Koekkoek, and keep the injuries out of it, and you've got a contender. The last couple of seasons have been to prepare for next year, but if you're not going to get the Cup, you might as well start from scratch and try for 2017.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Ottomatic

The year to build for 2014 was 2011 and trading Kassian and Ellis for the best offer made. But Rychel's mouth painted him into a corner when the offers were not the return he bragged to the papers about wanting.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:22 PM
Raisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I think it's all about optics though. Fans are not turning their backs easily they can watch some poor play but then for the owner to sell their fans down the river in regards to the sanctions. They once prided themselves as a fan friendly franchise but now all they see is $$$ if they can shove fans through the gates.

I have a hard time understanding the idea of improving the team at the deadline. The talk is if there's no Memorial Cup he will strip it down. He stripped it down in 2011, in 2012 he tried to add to the group and like you said injuries hurt the team, now it's possible in 2013 he strips it down? Sounds like he's doing a dis-service to the fans and not putting any faith in his roster. I imagine you can't find many franchises that would strip it down twice in a three year period. You sell off this year you're just admitting you wasted 2 years and failed miserably. I think fans could handle average hockey for a long time span but I think fans have a breaking point and this year was close to it. Last year they had a town hall meeting for season ticket holders and all they did was screen questions from the fans. Fans didn't appreciate that from what I was told. Since their championships if there was a checklist of things not to do as an organization everything Windsor has done the past few years would be on that list.
The thing with improving the team at the deadline is that they did it relatively cheaply, with the exception of Koekkoek.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:33 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
" Domi and Gilmour didn't talk for a year after that draft because of the Front's selecting Max, it was hardly a 'deal' between the two. "

Being saying since it happened, it wasnt planned between the two, but IMO it has worked out well for both parties. Just a hockey deal.
I think this rumour of them not speaking for a year is false. The Domi selection was planned whether people want to believe it or not. Doug knew that Max wasn't going to report to Kingston regardless of them picking him, hence the pretend USHL commitment. Gilmour knew having Max would provide Kingston with a huge return and he was right.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
The thing with improving the team at the deadline is that they did it relatively cheaply, with the exception of Koekkoek.
Not really if you include the other trades the Spits did with the Pete's, id say overall the spits won....I would have like to have kept atleast one 2nd but hey i think Koekkoek will be a stud on the back end next season(If he stays healthy) and maybe one of the best in the CHL, and Clarke was pretty overrated, when he first played here i thought he had a high ceiling when it came to potential But he never really got there.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:06 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Given the roster they had last year, I can understand the attempt to make a run and not strip it down. The team, before the injuries, wasn't bad at all. Inconsistent? Sure. Bad? No. You add Aleardi, Koko, Koekkoek, and keep the injuries out of it, and you've got a contender. The last couple of seasons have been to prepare for next year, but if you're not going to get the Cup, you might as well start from scratch and try for 2017.
Hold on though you think going for it wasn't a bad idea but you want a start from scratch this year? So you gave the team last year a grand total of 30 games to see what they could do and now want to pull the plug? That is the exact definition of poor management. I have news for you if you want to start a rebuild it needs to start in June by shipping out some of the vets. Holding on to the group of Sieloff, Koekkoek, Rychel, Vail, Marchese, Johnson(only mentioning him because he's 19), Ebert until the deadline you can't move all those guys because the deadline is going to be quiet due to the OHL hosting. If Barrie gets it you might be able to get London to be interested in some of those guys but nobody in the east will want to compete against Barrie. If London hosts you won't find any other buyers in the west and may have issues finding a buyer in the east. Once you find out you don't get the cup you have to start jettisoning players asap and this is why at the deadline last year was silly giving a crew 30 games to see what they could do after 1.5 years of mediocre results.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:22 PM
NHL Fanatic

Memorial Cup formal presentations in two days. The winner will be announced in May. Honestly I'd like Windsor to host the next Memorial Cup. As much as they say the violations won't have an effect, they do have something to keep in the back of the selection committee's mind. I love London's team, but it would be unfair for a team to continually get awarded the tournament every 9 years. London has the best team as of right now as majority of their player's are returning. Windsor is the next best team, strong D core if everyone comes back, just needs some tweaks here and there on forward and possibly goaltending. Barrie losing their top guns, seems like they have less of a chance, especially with Saskatoon losing so early. They want a team that has a great chance of making the OHL finals which is why I wouldn't be shocked if it went to London.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
I think this rumour of them not speaking for a year is false. The Domi selection was planned whether people want to believe it or not. Doug knew that Max wasn't going to report to Kingston regardless of them picking him, hence the pretend USHL commitment. Gilmour knew having Max would provide Kingston with a huge return and he was right.
Im confident the original plan was for the Knights to take Domi at 9. The fact that Tie and Doug did not talk for a year after the draft. I have no doubt that London talked to Kingston, but It was not a massive plan as some make it out to be.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:29 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Im confident the original plan was for the Knights to take Domi at 9. The fact that Tie and Doug did not talk for a year after the draft. I have no doubt that London talked to Kingston, but It was not a massive plan as some make it out to be.
I understand what your saying. I'm not saying it was a massive plan. Gilmour was picking Domi regardless. Whatever team had the best offer was getting Max. Whether it was London or Kitchener, those were the only teams he primarily wanted to play for.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Raisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Not really if you include the other trades the Spits did with the Pete's, id say overall the spits won....I would have like to have kept atleast one 2nd but hey i think Koekkoek will be a stud on the back end next season(If he stays healthy) and maybe one of the best in the CHL, and Clarke was pretty overrated, when he first played here i thought he had a high ceiling when it came to potential But he never really got there.
Plus the benefit with Koekkoek is that if they look to deal him at the deadline, they will likely recoup at least as much as they gave up.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:42 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Plus the benefit with Koekkoek is that if they look to deal him at the deadline, they will likely recoup at least as much as they gave up.
I agree with this but it's a fine line. Windsor was trading for Koekkoek with the intention of having him for 1.5 years. If you wait until the deadline you won't get much for 30 games of Koekkoek, you might get more if you deal him in the summer.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
I understand what your saying. I'm not saying it was a massive plan. Gilmour was picking Domi regardless. Whatever team had the best offer was getting Max. Whether it was London or Kitchener, those were the only teams he primarily wanted to play for.
Appreciate that, there have been others who play it up as one, without actual knowledge of what happened.

Old
04-15-2013, 04:11 PM
bobber

Rayzor just reading with interest the contents of this thread. I believe Windsor paid a huge fine. Did the money paid come from the fans ala gate receipts or directly from the owners pockets? If it came from the fans pockets are they not owed some sort of an explanation as to what the discretion was? I can see the sanctions would be a slap in the face and probably deserved but after missing out on Day it comes right back to the surface.

Old
04-15-2013, 05:26 PM
punch1943

Announcement Coming Tomorrow

According to Angelo Montilla via twitter.....
@AngeloMontilla
The Windsor Spitfires will hold a news conference on Tuesday morning where the team will make a 'significant announcement.

Old
04-15-2013, 06:08 PM
OHLTG

Will be interesting to see what happens. For them to use the term "significant" says more to me than the fact they're calling a presser in the first place.

Quote:
Hold on though you think going for it wasn't a bad idea but you want a start from scratch this year? So you gave the team last year a grand total of 30 games to see what they could do and now want to pull the plug? That is the exact definition of poor management. I have news for you if you want to start a rebuild it needs to start in June by shipping out some of the vets.
Going for it wasn't a bad idea given they weren't going to lose Koko. If you've got the pieces to make noise, and we saw flat-out they COULD make noise, then why not? Now that we've lost Koko, Aleardi, and possibly Pavelka, not to mention potentially others, if you don't get the Cup, you rebuild this off-season. I've never stated that you rebuild at the deadline next season. If it happens, you start now and go in with a young team. Frankly, I'm not against a rebuild, as long as some key pieces are set in stone from this years team.

Old
04-15-2013, 06:46 PM
spitz fan 4ever

i see the erie otters are on the block

Old
04-15-2013, 06:53 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Thats right. This was well planned between the Hunters and Doug Gilmour. Doug has a 96 born son playing AAA and knew the quality of players to be had next year with the compensatory pick at #9 (Sam Bennett). He also knew that London had the package of 2nd round picks including Erie's which was the first pick of the second round(Dylan Diperna). Domi was not going to play anywhere but London. I believe this was planned well before Draft day. London saw what they could gain with two top ten picks in Domi and Horvat and the potential to win championships and Kingston saw the benefits to be had the following year. It was truely a win-win situation. Max was made out to look bad in some media outlets, this is where Tie Domi may have felt Doug played his part in contributing to this by forcing Domi's hand and showing he would not report.

Old
04-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
According to Angelo Montilla via twitter.....
@AngeloMontilla
The Windsor Spitfires will hold a news conference on Tuesday morning where the team will make a 'significant announcement.
Timing is very interesting since the day later they're making the Mem Cup Hosting presentation to the selection committee.

Probably just Ryan Moore has decided to come to play for the Spits afterall, given how not a week ago the Star reported that he might not come here.

Is it too late to drop the hosting dreams and get the $150K charge back?

Maybe it's to announce the contract extension of Bob Jones.

Old
04-15-2013, 07:11 PM
coachfluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Rayzor just reading with interest the contents of this thread. I believe Windsor paid a huge fine. Did the money paid come from the fans ala gate receipts or directly from the owners pockets? If it came from the fans pockets are they not owed some sort of an explanation as to what the discretion was? I can see the sanctions would be a slap in the face and probably deserved but after missing out on Day it comes right back to the surface.
The Spits let go of some paid / commisioned employees. A great many ushers used to get paid but that ended this year and it showed. At least one full time office person was replaced by an intern. Interns and volunteers also took over many game day activities and some staff that remained had more work added to their portfolios.

Closed Thread