HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Carey Cost*

vCash: 500
Marinaro is becoming my favorite host show.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Joe Cole

OT but....

I was away last week and DVR'd the games. because they always go over the time set by RDS, I always add and hour and watch the first segment of Anti-Chambre.

After the Buffalo game, it was like the whole panel were teenagers who just found pounded back their first case of beer. Silly, giggling...

After the Toronto game, they were ready to light the city ablaze.

They are so ridiculously childish, it can only be thought of as comedy. Like watching "Fail" videos on Youtube.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:53 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I for one am one who love Price has our number 1.
In Montreal, it win you rule and loss you're the outcast. It's been like that for has long has I remember. Even Roy had his bashers but since he won 2 cups with the habs, he had less. Put a cup in Price's resume and more bashers will go away waiting for games like this to **** on him.
Despite my previous comments, I have to admit that Roy was constantly criticized despite winning two cups here. I remember friends saying stuff like "it's about time" when he was traded and I was shocked how little respect he got.

However, I have a problem with people who are always ready to give Price the Vezina when he goes on a winning streak. I think that's going too far in the positive direction at this point.

As for the Leaf fan posting, as tough as Montreal can be for goalies, I consider the Leafs and the Flyers the worst two teams as far as scrutinizing goalies and don't see how a guy like Price could flourish there. It takes a generational talent to survive that kind of pressure.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:53 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucci2001 View Post
Leafs fan here, mostly coming in peace. That being said if you are uncomfortable with Carey by all means send him our way, world class goalie had an off night. He still hasn't even hit his prime...personally and from a leafs stand point I am hoping at the end of his six year deal he heads over here in his 30s like Cujo, Eddie did lol.

You guys should be happy as pigs in you know what you have him...and Gally+PK. Can't believe the abuse PK took for holding out too. His next deal is going to hurt your pocket books.
Even the Leaf fans get it...

Thanks for your common sense post...

Old
04-15-2013, 09:54 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Cost View Post
Marinaro is becoming my favorite host show.
I thought you, were Tony...

Old
04-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Sure, that's a fair comment. Except for the first part.

However, how is that different than me pointing out that we don't have a go-to guy to put on the ice when we're down by one goal with one minute left in the game? The Habs still lack in certain areas but are on the right track. I'm simply pointing out that Price has not reached the level of maturity that I expect out of him. That's just a fact. Is he at a point in his career where you feel 100% confident with him in nets with the season or a series on the line? I know I'm not.
I'm very happy overall with the team and the direction we have taken this year. I think Price is a great goalie (and as much as it pains me to say it) but I've been more confident in his tending in previous years then this year. He's still a young guy and I am confident he will be that go to guy for us in the years to come.

That said, I hate it when "Habs fans" needlessly bash any Habs player. I'm not blind to the warts this team has but really guys, I never thought we would be in this position at the beginning of the year. Just need to be patient with the young guys and things will work out with proper asset management.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:07 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
I'm very happy overall with the team and the direction we have taken this year. I think Price is a great goalie (and as much as it pains me to say it) but I've been more confident in his tending in previous years then this year. He's still a young guy and I am confident he will be that go to guy for us in the years to come.

That said, I hate it when "Habs fans" needlessly bash any Habs player. I'm not blind to the warts this team has but really guys, I never thought we would be in this position at the beginning of the year. Just need to be patient with the young guys and things will work out with proper asset management.
I agree with most of what you're saying but don't look at it as needless bashing. This is a forum for people to vent their frustrations as well as to encourage their favorite team. If PK fell on his butt every time a game was on the line, you'd be hearing about it, too. Why be so protective of one particular player?

Unfortunately for Price, a player's reputation is built with cumulative memories. He can still redeem himself but he has to start making a positive impression when all his fans are pumped and expecting a big game. There's a reason Luongo has a bad rep despite being an excellent G. Same could be said of Pleks and his "girlie" playoff performances.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Serious HABit

Need this playoffs series as the real litmus test to categorize carey as "above average" or "elite".

Old
04-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious HABit View Post
Need this playoffs series as the real litmus test to categorize carey as "above average" or "elite".
Luckily, they didnt do that with Rinne or Lundqvist...

Old
04-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Drive425

Quote:
I agree with most of what you're saying but don't look at it as needless bashing. This is a forum for people to vent their frustrations as well as to encourage their favorite team. If PK fell on his butt every time a game was on the line, you'd be hearing about it, too. Why be so protective of one particular player?

Unfortunately for Price, a player's reputation is built with cumulative memories. He can still redeem himself but he has to start making a positive impression when all his fans are pumped and expecting a big game. There's a reason Luongo has a bad rep despite being an excellent G. Same could be said of Pleks and his "girlie" playoff performances.
For me, Goalie is a much more important position than forward. A forward can change a rep in a couple of playoff round, but not a goalie.

The mental lapses will get fixed with the right coaching and support. Posters will say what they will say right or wrong. I'd stand up for any Habs player I think is getting unfairly bashed, not just Price. Die hard Habs fan here guys. A little touchy when it comes to my boys.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:32 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
For me, Goalie is a much more important position than forward. A forward can change a rep in a couple of playoff round, but not a goalie.

The mental lapses will get fixed with the right coaching and support. Posters will say what they will say right or wrong. I'd stand up for any Habs player I think is getting unfairly bashed, not just Price. Die hard Habs fan here guys. A little touchy when it comes to my boys.
In a way, it's unfortunate that we went from 15th to 2nd place so quickly. Most likely, we'll be expected to win our first round and there will be a lot of pressure on a team that is probably not ready for a major playoff push. Not a good scenario for Price.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:46 AM
Habtchum*

Quote:
In a way, it's unfortunate that we went from 15th to 2nd place so quickly. Most likely, we'll be expected to win our first round and there will be a lot of pressure on a team that is probably not ready for a major playoff push. Not a good scenario for Price.
Price has to start to win KEY games. He's got the talent.

Patrick Roy was not perfect every night (he was giving very ugly goals and was totally lost outside his net) but he was winning the key games most of the times.

The difference between the two is "mental toughness", Roy was the most competitive goalie of his era.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:50 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I don't know if it was talked about yet because frankly I avoid this thread like the plague, but why does Price insist on changing gear in the middle of the year? It's like the third time in his career I've heard of him doing it, and it always seems to **** him up badly. Remember that fiasco with his red pads a couple of years ago?

I know Price takes a lot of pride in not being superstitious like most goalies, but it's not even that...you're playing with brand new gear, it's going to feel different and react differently went pucks hit it. Why even take the chance?

Edit: for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, Healy on CBC mentioned numerous times that Price was wearing new equipment vs. TOR

Last edited by hototogisu: 04-15-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old
04-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I don't know if it was talked about yet because frankly I avoid this thread like the plague, but why does Price insist on changing gear in the middle of the year? It's like the third time in his career I've heard of him doing it, and it always seems to **** him up badly. Remember that fiasco with his red pads a couple of years ago?

I know Price takes a lot of pride in not being superstitious like most goalies, but it's not even that...you're playing with brand new gear, it's going to feel different and react differently went pucks hit it. Why even take the chance?
How come his goalie coach cannot tell him that ?

Old
04-15-2013, 10:57 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:

Never understood that either. Pretty much any sport you play, equipment is stiffer when new so I don't see how that's a good thing. Wasn't it Chelios who kept his skates forever because it was just more comfortable? Price seems like the outlier when it comes to that.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:59 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
It's not something you need to be told. It's something you know and that you ignore because you don't think it'll make a difference. Except it always does, for Price.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:00 AM
peate
Good grief!

Quote:
That I think is the million dollar question. Is he being coached properly? Should't he be getting better instead or worse over time?

Old
04-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
That I think is the million dollar question. Is he being coached properly? Should't he be getting better instead or worse over time?
I think Price is very hard headed.. Melanson lost patience with him and moved on to Vancouver.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
For some users Carey Price has gotten better.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:08 AM
MarkersMark*

This isn't that complicated. He's payed 6.5 million and puts up
completely average numbers. A .912% should
get you a 4 million dollar deal. If he's not in his prime why is he getting paid like he is? And don't tell
me the cap savings down the road if he improves will be worth it because then i'll be expecting a .930-35 sv %. Unrealistic expectations for such a fragile goalie. How much longer are we going to leave the pacifier in for?

Old
04-15-2013, 11:09 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
yes he has

Old
04-15-2013, 11:10 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Carey didn't use new gear.. He tried them during morning practice.. exactly like he did with all his new gear. He doesn't put on new gear right away. He practice with them for weeks before using them in a game.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think he's getting worst, I think we're getting used to see him more and we can see his flaws better.

just like a couple moving in together for the first time

Old
04-15-2013, 11:15 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:

Edit: for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, Healy on CBC mentioned numerous times that Price was wearing new equipment vs. TOR
Ironically, you just sent this thread in another tailspin.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:20 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
I think Price is very hard headed.. Melanson lost patience with him and moved on to Vancouver.
Not true. Melanson was fired because he was hell bent on turning Price into a pure butterfly goaltender.

However, it seems the process is beginning again. Price needs to stay on his feet more.

Closed Thread