HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[TOR/COL] Ryan O'Byrne for 2014 4th Round Pick

Old
04-14-2013, 05:18 PM
thewave
EATING CROW!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
So you can hype him up and trade for JVR.
The O'Byrne Factor; The Crusader.. Insert epic promo video here mandatory big sexy public engagements and plenty of positive press. Oh Big Bang baby! Just need him to make 2-3 big hits to go with his style goal and show it from multiple angles in different tints.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 05:25 PM
zeke
#freewilly

better than I expected so far. no glaring mistakes, very physical, and not horrific moving the puck.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I don't think Luke Schenn was considered a strictly defensive D. Was he not compared to a guy like Shea Weber in scouting reports?

I'm pretty sure Luke Schenn's ceiling was Shea Weber.
Schenn was never compared to Weber -- I think he had a chance to room with Weber when he was younger, that's why Weber came into the conversation. Schenn will never have the slapshot or mobility that Weber has, and his ceiling was Adam Foote, who he was compared to.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Guys are way to quick to judge, yea he's been good for us but let's see how it continues on. I am very happy so far for sure, but let's be calm.

04-14-2013, 05:59 PM
LadyLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
better than I expected so far. no glaring mistakes, very physical, and not horrific moving the puck.
This. He seems to work well with both Liles and Gardiner.

LadyLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 06:01 PM
jasonleaffan

vCash: 591
Do you guys think we should resign him?

jasonleaffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 06:09 PM
IBeL13f
There Is Pain Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Schenn was never compared to Weber -- I think he had a chance to room with Weber when he was younger, that's why Weber came into the conversation. Schenn will never have the slapshot or mobility that Weber has, and his ceiling was Adam Foote, who he was compared to.
Foote's best point-per-game season came from 30 points in 73, which I could see Schenn matching, maybe bettering, as he adapts to the game more and grows as a player. The big thing though, is that I could see Schenn doing that on a consistent basis, whereas Foote only did it twice. Schenn could become one of the elite "true" 2-way defensemen (like a Ryan Suter), if he reaches his potential, I think. He really is the kind of guy I would really like to have in the organization right now (not that I'm against the trade that sent him out).

IBeL13f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 06:26 PM
caperaway

Patrick roy and Ken Dryden come to mind>

caperaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 06:28 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonleaffan View Post
We dont really have to make that decision yet but I like what I have seen from him so far.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:46 PM
DjD4GGR

i have to say im quite impressed no mistakes and faster then i thought, so much better then Costco

DjD4GGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:48 PM
Paris in Flames

Quote:
Depends what he expects and wants moving forward. If he's okay being a depth defenceman playing every ___ amount of days then sure. Sign him short term.

Paris in Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:48 PM
Christ

Quote:
Maybe we should see how he plays for us in the playoffs before thinking of this?

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:13 PM
ToneBone03
Trust the Shanaplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Maybe we should see how he plays for us in the playoffs before thinking of this?
Oh man...it's been so long since a Leafs fan could write a sentence like that. Feels good, man.

ToneBone03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
2 games of O'Byrne and you come to this conclusion? Schenn when he was drafted was regarded as a Adam Foote potential which this year he's been playing to that potential and Komisarek when he was at his best was like Brooks Orpik... like any type of player rather it be a shut down type or a top line forward there's a difference in quality.

O'Byrne is a filler big difference between him and Schenn if you or anybody else doesn't see it than shame on you cause Schenn is exactly what is missing on the blue line this year....
No, it really only comes down to hype and name brand comparisons. Not saying O'Byrne is going to be so fantastic, but to put it another way, it's way more economical to go and trade a 3rd round pick to get a Luke Richardson type defensive defenseman veteran presence than it is to draft Luke Richardson at 18 and go through the years of development and tears.

A kid like Schenn is only 23 but has been in the NHL for five years. Look where the Flyers are, they're probably going to go through a few more years of trials and tribulations before Schenn gives them consistent battle hardened defense. That's a greater part of half a decade of development when you can get serviceable guys to fill that role on the cheap.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
x-Respect

vCash: 50
He's a much better version of Holzer. Impressed with his play so far, given what Avs fans where saying. Shows you how **** their system is

Wonder what Komi would have done if given the same opportunity.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:30 AM
pucci2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
He's a much better version of Holzer. Impressed with his play so far, given what Avs fans where saying. Shows you how **** their system is

Wonder what Komi would have done if given the same opportunity.
Maybe similar but at a much higher salary. Smart, safe move to compliance him this summer.

pucci2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Rinzler

Minor upgrade, but an upgrade nonetheless. I'm happy with O'Byrne so far. Definitely a better player than Kostka.

Rinzler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:50 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
Minor upgrade, but an upgrade nonetheless. I'm happy with O'Byrne so far. Definitely a better player than Kostka.
Fitting in quite well.

However, tough to see the need or ability to carry Holzer, O'Bryne, Fraser, Franson, Liles and intend to play them out of the top 4. Esp w/ potentially Ranger and Blacker making space.

I personally have trouble seeing us resigning Franson given that I am not convinced he will take a paycut. If he does then he makes sense for sure.

And in the top 4, I would prefer a more mobile shutdown guy that Franson as well.

I hate to try and speculate LT because of the sheer options we have on D, but for next year one has to think...

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - xxx
Fraser - O'Bryne
Holzer

Personally, if an upgrade is available I want to add them next to gardiner instead of franson for shutdown skills, but if nothing is avaiable then you do the sensible thing and resign him.

Really really thought Jaybo would have been phenomenal for us in that spot.

KlattNazty is online now   Reply With Quote